Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
Really I think the grossest part is how they're offering to provide links to her current works and they sing praise all over the KickStarter even though they obviously don't have her support. It makes the whole thing reek of "ugh we're gonna link to you what MORE do you want?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What I really want to know is why 3 rubes are pledging upwards of 100$ for this crap? That's the only reason they're nearly funded.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
You'd think they'd have the decency to at least try to go with a different art style. Their attempts to mimic gigi's art is just god awful. But I guess if they did that, then they wouldn't be piggy backing on Gigi's success. Though I seriously doubt this thing is gonna survive a challenge, hopefully Gigi will bring this up to the kickstarter folks and get it taken down.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Speaking of sleazy things here's Sir Tomato

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Speaking of sleazy things here's Sir Tomato

quote:

Sir Tomato… *pitches voice up* …Sir Tomato… *pitches voice down* …and Sir Tomato! And together, we’re a boring still life!
Gigi, never change. :allears:

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

General Ironicus posted:

I think the weirdest part is that they're selling it on her work and name but it won't be her pictures. Fuckin shady.

I donno man. Hollywood does it all the time, it's basically the only way Henry Selick gets work anymore. These guys are just too amateur hour to realize you're not supposed to own up to it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's fanfiction of a fan work.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

General Ironicus posted:

I think the weirdest part is that they're selling it on her work and name but it won't be her pictures. Fuckin shady.

What are you talking about, that's totally normal.

By the way everybody please donate to my kickstarter for my ~original project~, Let's Play MGS5 by Chip Cheezum and General Ironicus.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
She's clarified her position on the matter (read bottom-to-top):

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

It's fanfiction of a fan work.

if it was just this, it wouldn't be as objectionable. But Gigi didn't try to make money off her MGS work, nor did she ape their art style and writing style. Nor did she try to imply that she had the support of the company/people behind MGS. Nor flat out use artwork she didn't own the rights to in order to promote her stuff. This Kickstarter has done all of those things. That's what makes this pretty terrible.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 20, 2014

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Unfortunately, I doubt there is much Gigi can do about this because it's a "parody", the patron tag of people going "wachu gonna do 'bout it, bitch?". And they still avoid the "Do you have her explicit permission" question.

On the topic of the comic, I love Lettuce's face in this comic. I wonder who they're going to find.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Kikas posted:

I wonder who they're going to find.

I'm still pushing for "Lettuce's independence, Tomato's crushing depression, and another puppet."

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Kikas posted:

Unfortunately, I doubt there is much Gigi can do about this because it's a "parody", the patron tag of people going "wachu gonna do 'bout it, bitch?". And they still avoid the "Do you have her explicit permission" question.

On the topic of the comic, I love Lettuce's face in this comic. I wonder who they're going to find.

Parody still has to abide by certain rules regarding intellectual property, though. Most importantly, the work can't be falsely attributed to the original author or parodied figure (not believably so, at least) or produced in such a way that leads to confusion.
Gigi's (or Hiimdaisy, it doesn't matter) name is plastered all over the kickstarter, and I'll go on a limb and say that they're chopping the old Hiimdaisy comics and rearranging the faces around in order to produce the couple of strips they've posted as samples, because the artist that they signed up for the job is on a... ah, let's say, different skill level.

So they've painted themselves into pretty much the one corner of the Parody Room where the answer to "wachu gonna do 'bout it, bitch?" is without a doubt "I am going to sue, and win".

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Regardless of actual legal status I kind of doubt Gigi is going to bother at this point, as trying to shut it down will only end with CuQu getting slammed by a bunch of entitled nerds flooding her inbox with hate mail calling her a Fun Hater and probably some scattershot slurs. Also I doubt shed want to deal with any legal debt from hiring an actual lawyer to deal with it.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
And it's worth remembering that when Gigi kickstarts book 3 she'll make their goal amount before we can even post a link to it here and several times that amount on day one.

This is irritating and insulting but nothing Gigi won't be able to walk off like it ain't no thing.

Comic chat: I liked the implication that Lettuce is starting to get tired of Tomato's poo poo... or like, you know, whatever.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Speaking of future kickstarters, I'd really wish Gigi would put the Ebook (ne; PDF) editions up for sale outside of KS

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

New page!

"I love you and everything" Oh my lord Tomato could you be any more of a huge creep.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Safari Disco Lion posted:

New page!

"I love you and everything" Oh my lord Tomato could you be any more of a huge creep.

He's getting a frying pan to the face, isn't he?

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

ConanThe3rd posted:

He's getting a frying pan to the face, isn't he?

Ah, I see you've passed Obvious Cons 133. I had a real rough teacher for that one, myself; Mr. Warner.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yessssssssss this is totally gonna be a Parafait Adventure chapter. Can't wait!

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Excited for French adventures :toot:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Good news! That sleazy kickstarter just cancelled their project.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Kikas posted:

Yessssssssss this is totally gonna be a Parafait Adventure chapter. Can't wait!

The header kinda gave that away. :v:

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Regy Rusty posted:

Good news! That sleazy kickstarter just cancelled their project.

Good on him for respecting Gigi's wishes here.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Wind God Sety posted:

Good on him for respecting Gigi's wishes here.

I want to believe that's the case, but I'm going to bet he just didn't want to deal with the internet backlash.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Tomato is totally dumb enough to fall for the Wounded Gazelle Gambit.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Well today was slow at work, and now I read the entire comic. (Yes, very slow at work.) I just caught up in like 3 hours, and now I'm in for the worst part of reading web comics. Waiting for the update schedule.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Well the update schedule is kind of 'whenever Gigi feels like it but definitely 3 times a week' so you may not have to wait long.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Unless it is 481 pages at once, then it will still be a slower pace. :v:

I will say that I did read this comic just because I heard some Kickstarter was ripping off some Webcomic. When I figured out it was this one, and knew that SA had a thread on it, I figured I'd read it when I got bored.

(Work today is still super slow.)

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Well at least some good came of that debacle. You should also follow Gigi on twitter to learn about cats and Professor Layton and how much she wants you to read her webcomic. :buddy:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Unless you are a nerd, in which case she will crush you.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

She says she streamed working on this latest page, I wonder if you can still find the video somewhere?

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Blackheart posted:

She says she streamed working on this latest page, I wonder if you can still find the video somewhere?

It's not in the video archive on her Livestream page so probably not!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
The comic buffer is a week or two ahead, so it'd probably be a while ago anyway.

Though you could be watching her do something

Right now.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tendales posted:

Unless you are a nerd, in which case she will crush you.

If you are a clown she will destroy you utterly, erasing your pitiful clown rear end from existence.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-482/

Wait, like, what?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Something tells me that Lettuce is going to be more of a problem in Parfait's plan of escape than Tomato ever could be.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Why is it though that I'd imagine that she'd actually help her if it means doing something more interesting than just stand around the castle that they've been doing for the last two chapters.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

A Bystander posted:

Something tells me that Lettuce is going to be more of a problem in Parfait's plan of escape than Tomato ever could be.

Or maybe Lettuce will finally get fed up with Tomato's constant terribleness and escape WITH princess Parfait. Together they could make a much less bland salad: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/strawberry-salad-i/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Yes running away with eachother covered in a creamy, white, sauc...

:gonk:
What fanfiction hath you created foul being?!