Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Even TVBS is reporting over 30,000 there, with students and faculty from "Taiwan's top 100 universities and institutes" apparently on their way up.

This is going to be one loving mental weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

This is a really funny and unfortunate name for anything involving news.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So has anyone been able to track down some actual goals of this whole thing? I mean right now all I've seen is anger at the passage of the cross-strait pact (which is fair, but democracy) and a demand for the government to apologize for ... something.

Honestly I think "we call on Ma, Jiang and Wang to apologize" is on the DPP letterhead and goes out with every press release.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Moon Slayer posted:

So has anyone been able to track down some actual goals of this whole thing? I mean right now all I've seen is anger at the passage of the cross-strait pact (which is fair, but democracy) and a demand for the government to apologize for ... something.

Honestly I think "we call on Ma, Jiang and Wang to apologize" is on the DPP letterhead and goes out with every press release.
Students: go through cross-strait pact clause by clause and/or scuttle it, bring attention to governmental bad practices, enjoy and get in on major social event
Politicians: try to take advantage of the situation somehow
Ma: lift rug, grab broom, whistle

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
:lol: Jesus christ dude, do you not read Chinese or simply have no Taiwanese friends? The protestors' requests have been posted literally all over the place...
Here is an infographic from the KMT leaning (!) United Daily News

1. Request that Wang Jin-pyng verify that KMT legislator Chang Ching-chung's 3/17 declaration that the trade services pact had passed is null and invalid

2. Immediately repeal the black-box trade services agreement

3. Establish supervisory regulations for cross-strait agreements. Before this is legislated, do not negotiate or sign any agreements with China

4. PM Jiang Yi-hua should resign and before 12:00 PM today* President Ma and Senate Leader** Wang should respond [to the above requests]

Today's lecture series

*3/21
**I am sure this is not the right terminology but I can't think of the word right now

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

Actually yes, they've been very explicit about their goals since Day One and this "they don't know what they want" is the exact same smear that was used against Occupy, with exactly as much accuracy.

Bloodnose posted:

This is a really funny and unfortunate name for anything involving news.
Considering that a couple of years ago they were busted for fabricating news stories out of whole cloth through working with gangsters in Taichung, it's pretty fitting.

e: Wang's official title in English is "President of the Legislative Yuan", IIRC.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Geez, sorry I asked.

EDIT: Man this really is like OWS, with the same "if you have questions or concerns you must be with THEM" attitude.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Mar 21, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I don't think it's a "don't question" thing, I think it's just being tired of seeing any attempt by young people anywhere to affect change being brushed aside with a "they don't know poo poo" sentiment, especially when that claim is being made based on insufficient information. It's condescending and uninformed. It's one thing to question their demands or motivations, it's another to just wave it off. Like I'm honestly surprised you didn't remember the exact same smears being used before.

In more positive posting, if you're any good as an editor or translator (and not even just in/into English), there's a Facebook group collaboratively working on translating press releases and other documents related to the protest movement. Their position on the issue is, to say the least, pretty clear, so if you're hard anti (or even hard pro-objectivity) it might not sit well, but it's one of the few times I feel like my particular skillset is useful outside of just makin' dat cash, so I'm jumping in.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
Not speaking Chinese explains a lot about everything you've(e: moon slayer) posted about what is happening. Even in the beginning, it wasn't a bunch of students who decided to go in there and break poo poo. It also isn't some DPP power play, though clearly they've been trying hard to make it one.

You're absolutely correct that there is a lot of support or non-opposition for the agreement, yet many of those people are protesting. It took a while for someone to really come out in support, but once someone did many more started voicing similar opinions. This posting was relatively early and has been shared/discussed quite a bit. Its all Chinese so maybe not much use to some, but its a decent read from the other point of view.

The reason "they don't know what they're protesting" is getting thrown around is also because of postings like these. Especially in the beginning, people were reading these oversimplified and biased postings like the one above(懶人包) and immediately following with gently caress The Government. However it didn't take long for this presentation by an economics professor from NTU to start circulating. This is an excellent (all Chinese) read on how the agreement will impact Taiwan's economy and sovereignty.

I did see this article earlier. I'm not sure if its unjustifiably biased as I haven't read it yet, but the English writeup is available on the last page.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Assuming those posts and whatnot will still be relevant by next week, give me some time and I could probably have them (barring the CommonWealth one, that's just a summary of the appended English) up in here in English for you.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me
With the seemingly inevitable shift toward a DPP-led government in a couple of years, I must say I am making GBS threads-my-pants worried about what will become of our beloved HanYu PinYin. They are going to poo poo all over it with their TongYong nonsense, aren't they? Here's to a rebirth of moronic "Kuo"s, "Tung"s, and "Chung"s. Just as Taiwan was finally getting a hold on the worldwide standard. Heaven help us.

Also, good on the students for 翹課ing. But I really hope this extends to a more general movement where people are invested enough in promoting government oversight and all that good poo poo that they risk losing their jobs. That's when this thing will get traction I think. The criticism I can see is not about how students are naive, uninformed, and easily manipulated but about how little they have to lose in protesting (their nebulous futures notwithstanding).

Also, I hope this doesn't turn into the dead-soldier-protest that had tons of support and then... what? (Was there even anything accomplished other than disciplinary actions taken toward the officers involved and their commanders?)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pandemonium posted:

Also, good on the students for 翹課ing.

Can't you just say skipping school?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

caberham posted:

No, because then he couldn't show that he knows words.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

I must say I am making GBS threads-my-pants worried about what will become of our beloved HanYu PinYin. They are going to poo poo all over it with their TongYong nonsense, aren't they? Here's to a rebirth of moronic "Kuo"s, "Tung"s, and "Chung"s.
Kuo, Tung, and Chung are not Tongyong Pinyin. That would be Guo, Dong, and Jhong. Also nothing in HYPY is ever in camel caps: "專有名詞的第一個字母大寫", "由幾個片語成的專有名詞,每個詞的第一個字母大寫", "專有名詞和普通名詞連寫在一起的,第一個字母要大寫", "已經轉化爲普通名詞的,第一個字母小寫".

quote:

The criticism I can see is not about how students are naive, uninformed, and easily manipulated but about how little they have to lose in protesting (their nebulous futures notwithstanding).
Not any more it's not about their naivete. It started that way, but when that failed to get any real traction the news media gave up on it and changed tack.

quote:

Also, I hope this doesn't turn into the dead-soldier-protest that had tons of support and then... what? (Was there even anything accomplished other than disciplinary actions taken toward the officers involved and their commanders?)
Last I heard there was a review underway of the military discipline system, but I could be wrong on that, it's been a while.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Mar 21, 2014

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

caberham posted:

Can't you just post something with content and not clutter an already-cluttered thread?

TessuoTw posted:

That would be Guo, Dong, and Jhong.

Oh great, a "Jh" sound. Lovely. That will work well with the "Chung" of, what, Wade-Giles? Pinyin in this country is such a joke. I was happy to hear the KMT--excuse me, GMD--had passed some kind of law or proclamation or whatever the correct technical word is adopting Hanyu pinyin. Now that will probably be for naught and this country will regress back into the dark ages of pinyin.

Also, criticizing how someone writes PinYin is pretty asp'y behavior. Who cares? This isn't a legal document or a published report. If I wanna capitalize every character's PinYin, then god damnit I am going to. JiaYou TaiWan!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

I was happy to hear the KMT--excuse me, GMD--had passed some kind of law or proclamation or whatever the correct technical word is adopting Hanyu pinyin. Now that will probably be for naught and this country will regress back into the dark ages of pinyin.
The Ministry of Education passed that law in 2008 (IIRC), taking effect 2009, but with the added note that while HYPY is the national standard, local governments are free to choose whatever they want, so we've pretty much been in those dark ages the whole time.

quote:

Also, criticizing how someone writes PinYin is pretty asp'y behavior.
If you're going to act smart, best not to be wrong at the same time.

e: Also "aspie" is a noun, the adjectival form of choice in here at least is "spergy" (or, alternatively, "spergin")

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Last I heard there was a review underway of the military discipline system, but I could be wrong on that, it's been a while.

There was a massive review and a law was passed that transferred military cases to civilian courts during peacetime. All military prisoners were moved to civilian jails.

The actual people involved in Corporal Hung's death got pretty minor sentences: http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2014/03/08/402316/Lenient-sentences.htm

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Sorry for the double post, but ...

hitension posted:

:lol: Jesus christ dude, do you not read Chinese or simply have no Taiwanese friends?

I actually asked one of my Taiwanese friends all about this! She just sent me:

quote:

Why would u spend ur valuable time to argue with ppl on the internet

So I'm going to take her advice!

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Come on, we all know your time isn't valuable.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
I hope the whole system breaks down so all the cool Taiwanese people I know in Australia get to have free asylum! Whoooo!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pandemonium posted:

Can't you just post something with content and not clutter an already-cluttered thread?

This thread was pretty organized and clean before you came in :byewhore:

You calling other people aspy just shows how big of a sperg lord you are. You were the guy going on multi page :spergin: rants on inane things and can't even carry a normal conversation. Just :fuckoff:

Moon Slayer posted:

I actually asked one of my Taiwanese friends all about this! She just sent me:

So I'm going to take her advice!

Did you tell your friend that you paid :10bux: to post on an internet forum :keke:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Far worse than Taiwanese people thinking a petition to the White House will have any effect on the protests and economic treaty are the foreigners who really don't understand the situation and think Taiwan has been secretly sold back to China. My facebook feed is now getting people vaguely aware that something is happening downtown and are jumping to the conclusion that Taiwan is about to be forced into a Hong Kong style deal.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

There is at least one cracker who's a friend of a friend who is currently inside the legislature. loving idiot.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TetsuoTW posted:

There is at least one cracker who's a friend of a friend who is currently inside the legislature. loving idiot.

Like I said before, it's a hell of a way to get out of a lovely buxiban contract.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

So Jiang Yihua just had his 3pm 3:30pm 4pm meeting with Lin Feifan and the protesters outside the LY. Didn't go well. Lin's proving to be a real good leader for this, but whoever was standing next to him is a total rear end who needs a kicking. Lin's talking about how we all need to be reasonable and respectful and engage in honest dialogue, and meanwhile this other guy's loving shouting slogans into the mic and riling up the crowd in the middle of Jiang's sentences. Then Lin had to settle everyone down just to get things moving again, then it all just happens again because of that one fuckwit. Then Jiang gets to finish talking and says "Nope, can't do what you want" though a visibly uncomfortable grin and is asked to leave. Back to the status quo, I guess. At least the government actually deemed to send someone out though.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

What does he think that's going to achieve exactly. = =''

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Who bloody knows. I mean honestly.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Sweet sweet protester poon?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
:swoon: There's always that shot at immortality

Barto
Dec 27, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5g75CCLQfU

These guys are so cute, they're even cleaning up the drat place (probably better than those rear end in a top hat legislators who normally work there).
I showed it to a lot of my American friends back home- they're amazed at the lack of coverage so far, and pretty amazed at the polite quality of the protests.

Saying "I love Taiwan" is a bit of a cliche...and I always complain about this and that being different from home. But the people here are really high quality, there's no doubt about that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It's a stark contrast to the protests I saw in Bangkok in February. Those ones had daily explosions while the two sides exchanged assassination attempts (sometimes successfully). The protests themselves turned into little more than a cash grab for wily entrepreneurs who saw heavy foot traffic at major intersections as an opportunity to make a buck. Though I guess they ended up being somewhat successful since the Thai high court just announced that the recent elections the protests were in part against were invalid.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The Executive Yuan building has "fallen."

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

The Executive Yuan building has "fallen."
Apparently they're already up to the second floor and into Jiang Yihua's office.

This is getting super hosed up. Essentially the entire sub-presidential apparatus of governance has been kicked in the dick.

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.
Here's a megastream of everything in one place. Legislative Yuan on top left, Executive Yuan on top right.

http://rsghost.github.io/congressoccupied/

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Hijacking of this movement by DPP is well under way. Friend posted pictures on Facebook of her and her husband in several locations, and there were "Free A-Bian" banners in almost every picture.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

That's just an ordinary day. DPP and TSU banners are basically installed into every couple of square feet of ground and pop up like sprinklers the moment more than 10 people are in the same place. Hardly a "hijacking". Unless they're the ones to blame for the EY invasion.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Can some of you grassroots folk tell me how many opposition groups turned up please.

as far as I can, via local media, no large organizations turned up.

opposition to the opposition that is..ie.pro kmt

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
There has been a live news cast outside the Executive Yuan for a while. The DPP heads just showed up so it's showing them for the moment, but they've been walking around on the street showing the cops getting pretty rough with people walking around.

http://ustream.tv/channel/rhodxtv

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Premier ordered requested the police clear the Executive Yuan and the president signed off on it, so poo poo's going to get real soon if it hasn't already.

Also some idiot broke into the building's generator room and got himself electrocuted.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Moon Slayer posted:

Premier ordered the police to clear the Executive Yuan and the president signed off on it, so poo poo's going to get real soon if it hasn't already.

Also some idiot broke into the building's generator room and got himself electrocuted.

They've been out batoning people on the streets twice at this point. They're gathering again and possibly about to start a third push. I'm not sure of the number injured but there injuries are what made the DPP show up to [strike]get votes[/strike] show their support.

I hadn't heard about a guy getting electrocuted though, that's pretty :lol: