Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Svartvit posted:

I take that as a no.

I added an SGF to my above post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

xopods posted:

I added an SGF to my above post.

I started looking at pro games and it seems like it's often played in connection to a stone on K3. So that a play on K3 could potentially be forcing black to fix or else white connects up or makes some kind of small wall facing the outside or the opposite side?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Svartvit posted:

I started looking at pro games and it seems like it's often played in connection to a stone on K3. So that a play on K3 could potentially be forcing black to fix or else white connects up or makes some kind of small wall facing the outside or the opposite side?

In general, yes, the way aji works is that in later development, you try to place a stone nearby which helps to activate the aji. Then either your opponent does something to fix the problem, which makes that move of yours sente, or he chooses to ignore it, at which point you activate your aji. Either way, you get some value out of something (a sacrificed/kikashi stone of your own, or a weakness in the opponent's shape) that would have been unprofitable to try to use immediately.

Aji can be pretty subtle, but at the same time, the overall strategy of high level games can be dictated in a big way by the existence or absence of aji. Sente is incredibly valuable, so the difference between choosing to spend a move to fix your aji, or take sente and ignore it is very big... if you choose to ignore it, you'll take the immediate lead, but at a risk. Your opponent meanwhile needs to try to force the game to develop in such a way that your weakness becomes fatal. Conversely, if you play honte, then your opponent will take the immediate lead by making the first move elsewhere, but you'll have the ability to fight with your hands free, having dealt with your problems in advance.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

I'm a bad person for getting upset that so much local fighting has taken place so early on such a big board :(

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

I was reading SL's page on "Invade a moyo before it becomes territory" when I found a comment by a name that sounded familiar. It turns out Xopods has his own SL page. :shobon: I wish I was that cool.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 21, 2014

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

I'm a bad person for getting upset that so much local fighting has taken place so early on such a big board :(

Fighting is what people do when they don't know what else to do.

In Go, too!

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Uncle Jam posted:

Whatever you do, don't play Surc. :v:

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

I was reading SL's page on "Invade a moyo before it becomes territory" when I found a comment by a name that sounded familiar. It turns out Xopods has his own SL page. :shobon: I wish I was that cool.

It's a Wiki. The only things you need to be that cool are a mouse and an index finger.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

It's a Wiki. The only things you need to be that cool are a mouse and an index finger.

:thejoke:

Xombar found this really cool thing. You feed it your games and it estimates your style, strength, lists pros with similar styles to you, and reccomends books!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Sounds about right. If there's one aspect that I try to control in my games is to be territorial as gently caress.

I should work on attacking more I guess.

And lol it's recommending opening theory made easy.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I split my games into three 40-game batches by how much respect I had for those opponents. Should've done four batches to split off the 1-2 kyu and dans, but I'm too lazy to redo it.

quote:

Xom: hahaha
Xom: my estimated power level vs. batch A opponents: 1d
Xom: vs. batch B opponents: 1d
Xom: vs. batch C opponents: 7k
Xom: batch C includes my Great Wall attempts
Xom: I think I even lost most of those games
Kheldragar: Xom is actually 1d
Kheldragar: No wonder I lose more horribly to you
Kheldragar: Xombagger
Kheldragar, you're Batch C. :kheldragar:

Territorialness is balanced overall, with more Moyo in Batch A and more Territory in Batch C. I wonder if it's that I end up settling for influence when denied profit.

Novelty (a.k.a. Weirdness imo) is balanced overall, and is higher in Batch A and lower in Batch C.

Aggression is high except in Batch C where I'm calm (remember, the app doesn't analyze handi games, so Batch C are no-handi games against weaker opponents).

Thickness is balanced in all three batches.

In all three batches, "We found out, that you really like to capture stones. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but are you always sure, that the stones you captured are important and the mere 6 points you get for capturing them is the best move on board? (E.g. in the opening, ...)"

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Uncle Jam posted:

It's not a large single game, but 9 gobans joined together - note the borders. Although they could use it as one large goban, the current stone positions suggest not.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

It's not a large single game, but 9 gobans joined together - note the borders. Although they could use it as one large goban, the current stone positions suggest not.

I think it is one game - some of the stones would be dead if it weren't.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Look at the left hand side of the middle goban. There's a group that should be captured unless it is in fact one big board.

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
http://gostyle.j2m.cz/WAPP_RES/13245494-7c32-470a-9e5f-b62fc61dd238/

my kgs 1d account is kgs 3d apparently

i need to play more of my games on a single account

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008

sensual donkey punching posted:

http://gostyle.j2m.cz/WAPP_RES/13245494-7c32-470a-9e5f-b62fc61dd238/

my kgs 1d account is kgs 3d apparently

i need to play more of my games on a single account

http://gostyle.j2m.cz/WAPP_RES/5e42c0a5-c229-4948-aa8c-8522e423ef26/

says im 2k so I'd not take this thing too seriously

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

You guys know how confidence interals work, right?

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
imagine three samples on the edge of a cliff

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Kheldragar posted:

You guys know how confidence interals work, right?

You should let the guy know cause the confidence intervals are always the same no matter how many games you upload/actual rank you were at the time.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Uncle Jam posted:

You should let the guy know cause the confidence intervals are always the same no matter how many games you upload/actual rank you were at the time.

Then how did Xom get three different results based on the type of opponet he played?

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Kheldragar posted:

Then how did Xom get three different results based on the type of opponet he played?

The 68% confidence interval is always 2.63, but that number should change based on both sample size and the sample variance. Whatever this is doing to calculate your estimated rank seems to work reasonably well, but the calculation of the CIs is bogus.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Svartvit posted:

Look at the left hand side of the middle goban. There's a group that should be captured unless it is in fact one big board.

Yeah, it's clear that it's one big game, but from the looks of it I'd guess you've got 18 people playing and each pair of players (one White, one Black) can only play in their own section of the board. The colored division areas are presumably playable by players on either side of the line.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

xopods posted:

Yeah, it's clear that it's one big game, but from the looks of it I'd guess you've got 18 people playing and each pair of players (one White, one Black) can only play in their own section of the board. The colored division areas are presumably playable by players on either side of the line.

But if that's the case then the distribution of stones among the boards and inside of each board looks wonky.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
Ah, this explains it.

"This is Go game variant played on the size of 9 standard 19×19 boards.

It was first time played in Lithuania Summer Camp of 2013. Special rules very made to make this game both more exciting and complex to play.

The game was played by 16 players. Each of 8 boards was played only by two players, but the middle 9th board was played by all 16 of them."

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Svartvit posted:

Ah, this explains it.

"This is Go game variant played on the size of 9 standard 19×19 boards.

It was first time played in Lithuania Summer Camp of 2013. Special rules very made to make this game both more exciting and complex to play.

The game was played by 16 players. Each of 8 boards was played only by two players, but the middle 9th board was played by all 16 of them."

Haha, the board in the upper right is clearly just those two kids loving around.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

AGA posted:

Two more veteran players have retired as of March 31. They are Ishida Akira 9P and Fukui Susumu 9P. Ishida was born in Tokyo on May 23, 1949 and became a disciple of Fukuda Masayoshi 8P. He became 1-dan in 1966 and 9-dan in 1982. He won the top section of the rating tournament (Oteai) in 1972 and the 3rd and 4th King of the New Stars titles (1978 and 1979). He played in six Meijin leagues and one Honinbo league. At his peak, when he played in the Meijin league for six years in a row, Ishida impressed as one of the top players on the go scene, but he never put it together to win a big title.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Haha, the board in the upper right is clearly just those two kids loving around.

Another funny thing to note is the ogeima shimari made in the lower left of the lower centre board, by someone who's trying to play his board as if it's normal Go, not considering the fact that his corner is not actually a corner, and the edge behind his shimari isn't actually an edge.

It must be a bit tough figuring out how to play as someone on one of the side boards, with no corner to play in at any point. That's probably part of why so many have chosen to play on the centre board.

xopods fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 22, 2014

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Glad this thing had a mind to flatter me. If only my actual performance was 2d during the interval it searched ~

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
"The confidence is only accurate only when the sample is large enough" :negative:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Uncle Jam posted:

"The confidence is only accurate only when the sample is large enough" :negative:

Get more than 30. (Also note the fact that the interval never changes for some reason; it's always +-2.63 :ssh:)

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Want something from Kiseido?

SA-Mart: Help me spend my $18 Kiseido credit!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

I do! I'm trying to get all the elementary go books, so far ive got attack and defense and in the beginning. i dont know what the next best one is.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
As far as English Go books go, the "Big Four" are Tesuji, Attack and Defense, Opening Theory Made Easy, and Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I really liked Sakata Eio's "Tesuji and Anti-Suji of Go."

Rui Naiwei's "Essential Joseki" is also a very good reference, though maybe it's less important now with the existence of online joseki dictionaries.

Kajiwara Takeo's "Direction of Play" is amazing, but more of low kyu/dan book.

It's also worth getting a subscription to Go World and just playing out all the pro games on a board to develop a sense of shape and direction.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Haha, I just saw this epic incredibly silly trick fuseki played in a mid-dan game on KGS. I bet it would work like a god drat dream against SDKs. I'm surprised it did at this level of play, but I guess there are people at all levels that simply cannot resist immediately playing in the middle of any hazama tobi they see.

http://eidogo.com/#3Id1sRUNF

xopods fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 23, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

Haha, I just saw this epic incredibly silly trick fuseki played in a mid-dan game on KGS. I bet it would work like a god drat dream against SDKs. I'm surprised it did at this level of play, but I guess there are people at all levels that simply cannot resist immediately playing in the middle of any hazama tobi they see.

:psyduck: And you call these people dans? Well, now black pretty much has the top and bits of each side and white's going to scramble to care for those stones :v:

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

xopods posted:

Yeah, I've seen that hustle before. Why would you play in the middle like that? I feel like you'd just let it go for a while since there's not really a good third enclosing move

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Under 15 posted:

Yeah, I've seen that hustle before. Why would you play in the middle like that? I feel like you'd just let it go for a while since there's not really a good third enclosing move

Yes, that is the correct punishment. Just leave it. Either the weaknesses in the shape will become a problem later, or Black will have to spend an additional move there. Either way, it's a little bad for Black. Not terrible, just a little worse than "normal" play.

KGS players are so used to seeing overplay that they assume that any weird-looking move must be overplay and seek to punish. Apparently even some mid dans do not understand that some bad moves are self-punishing and that attempting to "refute" them actually turns them into good moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

On a related note, you can often beat fighting-oriented players simply by dangling weak stones for them, playing tenuki when they attack - sometimes more than once - and then just lightly sacrificing the stones for a few forcing moves once they've committed themselves to the capture, followed by tenuki again. Sometimes they're so consumed with killing that they even follow up by attacking those kikashi stones. You end up giving them 20 points locally and winning by 50 on the rest of the board. I think of it kind of like bull-fighting.