Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Gridfire takes a few seconds to deploy so its actually too slow to use as an anti-ship weapon.

There's a pretty good battle in Excession, I think... one modern ROU versus a fleet of affronter-controlled surplus ROUs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Yeah but that's still just a skirmish. Banks wrote some awesome battle scenes. I wish we got one giant one. I know he would say that's not the point but what can I say...it wouuld have been awesome.

Edit: The time of gridfire would make it the perfect mine weapon. Gridfire behind them and even if they go out of 3D space they are still dead. The Culture would make the best RTS game ever I swear. Homeworld on LSD

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 6, 2014

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

The Culture would make a great setting for pretty much any game. Sim Orbital would be awesome.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Fragmented posted:

Yeah but that's still just a skirmish. Banks wrote some awesome battle scenes. I wish we got one giant one. I know he would say that's not the point but what can I say...it wouuld have been awesome.

Edit: The time of gridfire would make it the perfect mine weapon. Gridfire behind them and even if they go out of 3D space they are still dead. The Culture would make the best RTS game ever I swear. Homeworld on LSD

I never got the impression that there were Trafalgar- style battles with a bunch of ships of the line on either side that banks wasn't showing us. The sides were too asymmetric (especially at first), units too fast, objectives too distributed and volumes too large to be anything other than a guerrilla campaign on a huge scale.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Casualties

Total casualties amounted to 851.4 ± 25.5 (3%) billion sentient creatures, including Medjel (slaves of the Idirans), sentient machines and non-combatants, and wiped out various smaller species, including the Changers. The war resulted in the destruction of 91,215,660 (±200) starships above interplanetary, 14,334 orbitals, 53 planets and major moons, 1 ring and 3 spheres, as well as the significant mass-loss or sequence-position alteration of 6 stars.

Granted the war lasted about 50 years but 91,215,660 ships...there had to have been at least one huge gently caress off fight.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Fragmented posted:

Casualties

Total casualties amounted to 851.4 ± 25.5 (3%) billion sentient creatures, including Medjel (slaves of the Idirans), sentient machines and non-combatants, and wiped out various smaller species, including the Changers. The war resulted in the destruction of 91,215,660 (±200) starships above interplanetary, 14,334 orbitals, 53 planets and major moons, 1 ring and 3 spheres, as well as the significant mass-loss or sequence-position alteration of 6 stars.

Granted the war lasted about 50 years but 91,215,660 ships...there had to have been at least one huge gently caress off fight.

Hey, it's a big galaxy, and by galactic standards, it was more of a skirmish.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

I have a question about the final chapter of Use of Weapons, before the epilogue. This is the chapter in which the protagonist meets Livueta.

quote:

Skaffen-Amtiskaw, still wondering exactly what was going on in the light of the information it had just received from the ship, still found the time to be mildly surprised that the woman was taking it all so calmly this time. Last time she'd tried to kill the fellow and it had had to move in smartly.

'I'll leave you alone,' Sma said to the woman. 'We'll be just outside.'
Close enough for me to hear, thought the drone, and to stop her trying to murder you again, if that's what she decides to do.

Am I missing something, or does the book not actually detail the occasions during which Livueta tracks down Elethiomel and tries to kill him? Is that story detailed in one of the retrospective chapters, and did I just miss it?

It just seems really weird to get to this final chapter and to hear about a story in which Livueta tracks down Elethiomel and nearly murders him, only to be frustrated by Skaffen Amtiskaw for the first time. All I could think when I was reading this was "Hang on, what, when did that happen, did I miss something".

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Those On My Left posted:

I have a question about the final chapter of Use of Weapons, before the epilogue. This is the chapter in which the protagonist meets Livueta.

Am I missing something, or does the book not actually detail the occasions during which Livueta tracks down Elethiomel and tries to kill him? Is that story detailed in one of the retrospective chapters, and did I just miss it?

It just seems really weird to get to this final chapter and to hear about a story in which Livueta tracks down Elethiomel and nearly murders him, only to be frustrated by Skaffen Amtiskaw for the first time. All I could think when I was reading this was "Hang on, what, when did that happen, did I miss something".

IIRC (it's been a while since I read UoW), they mention a few times times that this is the second time that Zakalwe has SC track down Livueta as a form of payment. Presumably Skaffen Amtiskaw (but not Sma) was present at the previous meeting, and that it went down less peaceful than this time.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

That was my take too but why wouldn't the drone say what it heard. Maybe she just instantly tried to shoot him and no words had a chance to be spoken? Do I really have to spoiler this?

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Fragmented posted:

That was my take too but why wouldn't the drone say what it heard. Maybe she just instantly tried to shoot him and no words had a chance to be spoken? Do I really have to spoiler this?

I'm sure words were exchanged but were probably of the 'get out now or I will kill you' variety, probably with some begging from Zakalwe for her to hear him out. She wasn't exactly forthcoming the second time around, and its probably safe to assume she wasn't the first time too. I think more surprising is that no one in the Culture did any of the investigative legwork to figure out what their history was the first time.

Although I guess its possible some Mind did, and decided to keep that information to itself.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Lasting Damage posted:

Although I guess its possible some Mind did, and decided to keep that information to itself.

It amuses me to think of that interaction as very similar to the arrested development scene where the gym teacher lets tobias direct the school play.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

But none of this stuff actually appears in the book other than as hints and suggestions, right? Like, none of the stories in the retrospective part of the book actually detail this encounter?

Is there any indication of the time during which that encounter happens? Now that I think about it, mustn't it happen some time after the whole episode on the beach? IIRC, it's at his meeting with Sma (on the beach) that she tells him she can make the encounter happen. Ok, so the encounter happens some time after that chapter, but before which other chapter?

The reason I ask is that I would have expected that encounter to have a significant effect on Zakalwe, but I don't see that in the book.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
Right, its only implied that the first encounter got violent. However, its pretty clear from Sma and Skaffen's reaction to naming another meeting as his price that things went way south. We were just speculating on how it could have gone down.

The first meeting seems to happen after the siege on the Winter Palace (chapter XII), and before he assassinates the Ethnarch at the beginning of the book (chapter XIII).

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
I'd also think the reasons a lot of things like that are vague is in order to keep the twist as a surprise.

Personally, I suspected the twist during one of the earlier chapters featuring both Zak and Eleth simply because the text was so very (seemingly intentionally) ambiguous, referring to "he" and "him" and so on, very unlike everything else written in the book (and previous books). That and "it was him all along!" is not exactly an unheard-of plot point (not that I will hold this against UoW, I love it a lot)

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Lasting Damage posted:

Right, its only implied that the first encounter got violent. However, its pretty clear from Sma and Skaffen's reaction to naming another meeting as his price that things went way south. We were just speculating on how it could have gone down.
Yeah, I get that the book tells you there's an earlier encounter, and tells you that Livueta nearly killed him, I was just wondering if the book tell you anything else - because if it does, I missed it.

Lasting Damage posted:

The first meeting seems to happen after the siege on the Winter Palace (chapter XII), and before he assassinates the Ethnarch at the beginning of the book (chapter XIII).
So what impact does this earlier encounter have on Zakalwe? I guess this is the thing that's really bugging me - it seems like the kind of thing that would've had a profound impact on him, but there's no real suggestion that it did.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

So I just finished Use of Weapons

:psyduck:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Xun posted:

So I just finished Use of Weapons

:psyduck:

You alright? Maybe you should sit down in a chair :unsmigghh:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Shall I tell you something that makes you incredibly happy, as a Banks fan?

Discovering you hadn't actually read them all. Turns out I thought I'd read Matter but hadn't, and actually mixed it up somehow in my head with one of the others. This makes me far, far more happy than it has any right to, and am devouring it now.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I have 10 M books and all the non-M books still to go :neckbeard: (I've only read PoG, UoW and SotA, and loved all three... "Scratch" aside.)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Hedrigall posted:

I have 10 M books and all the non-M books still to go :neckbeard: (I've only read PoG, UoW and SotA, and loved all three... "Scratch" aside.)

You've not even started my favourite two then, in Surface Detail and Look to Windward, which are both truly fantastic. I'm one of the people who loves Excession mostly because the Minds feature so heavily, but it does wander all over the place, narratively.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I just read Inversions for the first time. What were DeWar and Vosill's points of view that they were trying to prove? I got the impression from the sub-stories that Vosill wanted to prove you could improve a society without being cruel/violent, and DeWar thought it was better to be cruel to be kind. So DeWar was supporting an aggressive expansion-based regime that he felt would improve the societies around it while Vosill was supporting a more relaxed regime that minded its own business. But then Vosill killed a lot of people and didn't seem to give a poo poo about it, and the relaxed regime turned out to be up in everybody's poo poo. Did I misinterpret their argument?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I just read Inversions for the first time. What were DeWar and Vosill's points of view that they were trying to prove? I got the impression from the sub-stories that Vosill wanted to prove you could improve a society without being cruel/violent, and DeWar thought it was better to be cruel to be kind. So DeWar was supporting an aggressive expansion-based regime that he felt would improve the societies around it while Vosill was supporting a more relaxed regime that minded its own business. But then Vosill killed a lot of people and didn't seem to give a poo poo about it, and the relaxed regime turned out to be up in everybody's poo poo. Did I misinterpret their argument?

You're bang on there that they are the people in DeWar's stories to the young prince. Both of their philosophical positions get a dose of real life, with Vosil killing the torturers and DeWar realising what the King he was defending was capable of. DeWar especially walks away with a 'gently caress this poo poo' attitude.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Aah, I found it. The exact argument was: Was it better to leave them alone or was it better to try and make life better for them? Even if you decided it was the right thing to do to make life better for them, which way did you do this? Did you say, Come and join us and be like us? Did you say, Give up all your own ways of doing things, the gods that you worship, the beliefs you hold most dear, the traditions that make you who you are? Or do you say, We have decided you should stay roughly as you are and we will treat you like children and give you toys that might make your life better?

This fits with the story better because I can clearly see that DeWar was passive and Vosill was actively trying to bring about change.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Hedrigall posted:

Banks' non-sci-fi stuff gets discussed comparatively rarely in this thread but some of his best books are his non-genre novels.

I think The Crow Road might become one of those yearly-reread books for me.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Fortunately I still have all of his non-Culture novels to look forward to, except Transition which was okay but obviously not one of his best works.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Taeke posted:

Fortunately I still have all of his non-Culture novels to look forward to, except Transition which was okay but obviously not one of his best works.
I quite liked Transition. My favourite of his non M books are Whit, Wasp Factory and The Business.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Transition quite a lot and it did captivate me, only needing a couple of sessions to finish it because I couldn't put it down. It's been a while since I read it, but I think about halfway through I started to get the feeling like he was rushing through it or something, as if he had this great setting, good characters and an engaging plot but it all had to be cramped in a set amount of pages or he had deadline to reach. I was left with the feeling that if it had been 100 or 200 pages longer he could've done what he had wanted to do. It felt increasingly frustrated towards to end, if that makes any sense.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

Just finished Surface Detail, Loved the character reveal at the end. Made me weirdly happy.

Excession is one of my favorites, i think it has to do with how prevalent the minds are in the story. I find that to be the most interesting part of his novels i think. That and his galactic landmarks like the Tsungarial Disk, the Ablate and Shell worlds. Some of those things seem so amazing and interesting, but in a universe where so many civilizations have existed they seem to be almost common place and antique.

A Song of Stone, Garbadale and Transition are his non culture books that ive gotten into so far. All were very good. Transition is my favorite out of those.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
If you're a culture fan in general you'd probably enjoy the algebraist, it's similar in content but just has a different setting. Plus the dwellers are very entertaining.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Regarding Inversions chat; I have no idea why, let alone any ability to articulate it, but for some reason I really like Inversions.

Wasn't there an earlier edition of the book that had some manner of preface that more explicitly reveals it as part of the Culture setting?

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

andrew smash posted:

If you're a culture fan in general you'd probably enjoy the algebraist, it's similar in content but just has a different setting. Plus the dwellers are very entertaining.

I forgot to add the Algebraist into that post. Read that this year. Honestly i am a bit surprised at all the love for Use of Weapons. I kind of thought the ending was a bit of a cop out 'gotcha' moment. I loved it up until then though. Ive been trying to find a new copy lately to reread it. No luck so far.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Wasn't there an earlier edition of the book that had some manner of preface that more explicitly reveals it as part of the Culture setting?

This Text, in two Parts, was discovered amongst the Papers of my late Grandfather. One Part concerns the Story of the Bodyguard to the then Protector of Tassasen, one UrLeyn, and is related, it is alleged, by a Person of his Court at the time, while the other, told by my Grandfather, tells the Story of the Woman Vosill, a Royal Physician during the Reign of King Quience, and who may, or may not, have been from the distant Archipelago of Drezen but who was, without Argument, from a different Culture. Like my much esteemed Grandfather, I have taken on the Task of making the Text I inherited more comprehensible and clear, and hope that I have succeeded in this Aim. Nevertheless, it is in a Spirit of the utmost Humility that I present it to the Society and to whoever might see fit to read it.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

andrew smash posted:

The Algebraist is probably my least favourite Banks book ever (it's either that or Matter, it's a pretty close call). The Algebraist is hugely bloated and directionless. It just tries to do way too much, and the central narrative isn't nearly compelling enough.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think Inversions completely owned, but I think that I might've liked it less if I hadn't already read a few culture books. Being able to read between the lines was the most satisfying part.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Those On My Left posted:

The Algebraist is probably my least favourite Banks book ever (it's either that or Matter, it's a pretty close call). The Algebraist is hugely bloated and directionless. It just tries to do way too much, and the central narrative isn't nearly compelling enough.

You have some good points but I still enjoyed the hell out of it. Far from the worst I've read of his (song of stone, ug)

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

I still can't believe he's gone. gently caress. Time to read Look to Windward I guess, it and Inversions(?) are the last Culture books left for me. Reading Hydrogen Sonata after he passed was very sad. What a great last book though. Cheers Iain I hope this is all a simulation and you just woke up first.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Fragmented posted:

I still can't believe he's gone. gently caress. Time to read Look to Windward I guess, it and Inversions(?) are the last Culture books left for me. Reading Hydrogen Sonata after he passed was very sad. What a great last book though. Cheers Iain I hope this is all a simulation and you just woke up first.

I just finished Look To Windward for the second time. Maybe my favourite Culture book and a great one for you to finish on. Do Inversions first.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Recommending reading LFW last reminds me, Luke Burrage of SFBRP is doing a series of podcast/reviews on the Culture series, and here's the order he decided is best (it's kind of for an online book club as well, and some members haven't read any of the Culture series while others have):

Luke Burrage posted:

1. Player of Games. Probably the best introduction to the Culture, laying out Contact and Special Circumstances and all the rest. Viewpoint: normal culture citizen.

2. Consider Phlebas. The war in this is the main threat threat the culture experiences at its own level. It's also the first book chronologically, so it makes sense to go near the start. Viewpoint: outside enemy.

3. Excession. The best introductions to ships. While there are human-level characters, it's really all about the ships. It's also super fun! You need a break after some of the heavier books.

4. Use of Weapons. Really heavy stuff, showing how war isn't all about ship minds having fun. Viewpoint: outsider being used by Contact and SC.

5. The State of the Art. Once the Culture has been established, it's good to see where the Earth fits in with it. We also get to see more of Diziet Sma. Viewpoint: Culture insider looking at Earth.

6. Inversions. A Culture novel without any character knowing about the Culture. This fits well with State of the Art, as you can imagine what it would be like for someone on Earth to be in the same situation.

7. Matter. This is probably the most "minor" Culture book in the series, in my opinion. It's okay, and that's about it. At least after Inversions it'll get you back into the swing of spending time with ships and drones.

8. Surface Detail. The first on the list of three "death and afterlife" Culture novels. This shows "man's" attempt at creating an afterlife.

9. The Hydrogen Sonata. This shows the "science" of a true kind of afterlife on a civilization level, with much talk of subliming, or not subliming, and what life actually means when faced with something better after death.

10. Look to Windward. This is quite out of sequence chronologically and by publishing date, but could be the best way to finish off the series. While the viewpoint is from an alien visiting the Culture, most of the action takes place within it, rather than outside it (like most of the other novels). It also goes well with Consider Phlebas, so it's good to have them topping (almost) and tailing this list. Finally it rounds out the mini-series about what happens after death... but I don't want to spoil it.

I've only read PoG, UoW and SotA so far, but I might follow his order for the rest of them.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 21, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I would disagree on a minor point; I think The Hydrogen Sonata has a note of finality to it that would put it in last place, and that stylistically Look To Windward is one of the middle set, maybe after State of the Art, but definitely not too far after Excession.

Although I can see why the last chapter of Windward would make a good series ender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Look to windward is referenced in Hydrogen Sonata iirc.

• Locked thread