Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
This seems right to me as the architect specified the right materials. It is the builders fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

If the architect spec'd lags and the builder was all "gently caress it here are nails" why would the architect be responsible? The building inspector should be held liable though, I wouldn't mind seeing that start happening so inspectors start doing their actual jobs.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Elendil004 posted:

If the architect spec'd lags and the builder was all "gently caress it here are nails" why would the architect be responsible? The building inspector should be held liable though, I wouldn't mind seeing that start happening so inspectors start doing their actual jobs.

The architect was presumably held responsible because they charged a fee to keep an eye on things and then (apparently) only watched for look-and-feel kinds of problems, not structural integrity problems. Depending on what the contract said the architect's job was that could well be violation of contract -- you aren't doing the job you were paid to do.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Have any of these builders ever heard of LedgerLoks and TimberLOKs? It can't get any easier (certainly a lot less trouble than lag bolts...no pre-drilling) and they are structurally rated.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The architect was presumably held responsible because they charged a fee to keep an eye on things and then (apparently) only watched for look-and-feel kinds of problems, not structural integrity problems. Depending on what the contract said the architect's job was that could well be violation of contract -- you aren't doing the job you were paid to do.

The contract seems like a mess:

quote:

In addition to designing the home, Black signed a contract with the homeowners in which he agreed to "endeavor to guard against defects and deficiencies in the work; and to determine if the work is performed in accordance with the contract documents."

(...)

The Maxfields' contract with Black also required that he sign off on the contractor's pay applications as assurance that "the quality of workmanship and materials used conforms with the contract documents." Black testified that he did sign off on the applications.

(But also:)

In his appeal, Black argues that his contract with the Maxfields did not require him or his employees to inspect the framing work on the house. The appeal cites a part of the contract that states "... The architect shall not be required to make exhaustive or continuous on-site inspections to check the quality or quantity of the work."

At least from the bits excerpted in the article, I don't see how he wins that appeal. He's agreed to determine if the work is performed in accordance with the contract, and to assure that the workmanship and materials used conform with the contract document. The contract doesn't require him to "make exhaustive or continuous on-site inspections," but so what? He's still signed on to the responsibility of making sure the workmanship is up to snuff. "I agreed to make sure the work was done properly, but I didn't agree to actually inspect the work to make sure it was done properly" is almost incoherent: how do you do the former without doing the latter? Apparently, just take a few photos, blindly sign pay stubs, and hope for the best.

And this argument is bullshit:

quote:

Allensworth, who teaches construction law at the University of Texas Law School and is a partner in the firm of Allensworth and Porter, said if the jury's verdict against Black stands, it will have a chilling effect on architects.
"If you are going to make the architect categorically liable for any defects in construction, do you think the architect's fee is going to be 6 percent of the construction costs, or is his fee going to be 45 percent? And if his fee is 45 percent, isn't everybody going to say, 'I don't need no stinking architect?' " Allensworth said. "Are architects going to be involved in the construction (process) at all, and will houses be better built or worse built because there's no architects around?"

Or maybe architects don't sign contracts like Black signed which *make them responsible for verifying the work was done properly*. If you don't want that responsibility, don't sign the loving contract accepting it.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

HortonNash posted:

The architect won his appeal.

Black and others in the architectural industry had argued that allowing the original jury's verdict to stand could have a chilling effect on the architectural profession.

You mean like having liability in your designs? I know that this is a case where the builder didn't follow the plans and is a little off. But if you pay an architect extra cash to ensure that they follow your plans, he should be kinda culpable.

Edit: yes that contract is garbage. I don't think that went through a lawyer or if it did he/she should be in trouble. "Pay us more to make sure poo poo is done a certain way, but we don't need to *actually* see it"

Time was architects were the people with all the liability, which is why they were paid so well. They has been pushing liability off on the builders for a long while.

ptier fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 20, 2014

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Was the inspector held at all liable in that case? Was the work even inspected?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Phanatic posted:

The contract seems like a mess:

At least from the bits excerpted in the article, I don't see how he wins that appeal. He's agreed to determine if the work is performed in accordance with the contract, and to assure that the workmanship and materials used conform with the contract document. The contract doesn't require him to "make exhaustive or continuous on-site inspections," but so what? He's still signed on to the responsibility of making sure the workmanship is up to snuff. "I agreed to make sure the work was done properly, but I didn't agree to actually inspect the work to make sure it was done properly" is almost incoherent: how do you do the former without doing the latter? Apparently, just take a few photos, blindly sign pay stubs, and hope for the best.

And this argument is bullshit:

Or maybe architects don't sign contracts like Black signed which *make them responsible for verifying the work was done properly*. If you don't want that responsibility, don't sign the loving contract accepting it.

This is all boilerplate contract language. It does not require the architect to be on-site daily inspecting every aspect of the work, that would be insane. There is no way he can inspect every nail and anchor on the job. He performs periodic inspections of the work to make sure it generally appears to be in compliance with the drawings and specs, and if there are obvious violations then he calls them out. Literally every project in the US includes language like this, and I'm sure in his reviews he had language like "this appears to be in compliance although it is not possible to inspect every element of a project". This is 100% the liability of the builders for not following the plans.

ptier posted:

You mean like having liability in your designs? I know that this is a case where the builder didn't follow the plans and is a little off. But if you pay an architect extra cash to ensure that they follow your plans, he should be kinda culpable.

Edit: yes that contract is garbage. I don't think that went through a lawyer or if it did he/she should be in trouble. "Pay us more to make sure poo poo is done a certain way, but we don't need to *actually* see it"

Time was architects were the people with all the liability, which is why they were paid so well. They has been pushing liability off on the builders for a long while.

It is the liability of the builders to follow the plans, yes.

E: Also, you may be surprised about who is making the big bucks if you look up incomes of architects vs general contractors.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 20, 2014

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
My understanding is you only make money as an architect if you own/are a partner in the company. I worked with two architects that came over to the GC side of things to make better money.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Architecture has the lowest pay vs schooling ratio of just about any professional career. It's all the work-reliability of being a self-employed artist and extremely little creative fun. If you work for a firm it's rarely long term, you get hired or fired month to month depending on if they need you for a project. If you're the senior partner or owner of a large firm you'll make some money, but only because you're paying all the architects below you like $25 an hour and everyone else even less, also you fire them all if you're having a slow month.

Also tons of developers are utter poo poo and don't pay their architects. The last firm I worked at had about $90k outstanding from a few people who used shell companies that then went "bankrupt" if a project didn't move forward. The developer would then personally not lose anything, write off all the money he owned, then start a new company for his next project. Yet architects are so desperate for work there's no black-list for lovely clients.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 20, 2014

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
You have to be kidding, $25/hour would be fantastic. Most K-12 education pays less than half that and takes a Master's in a lot of states.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

You have to be kidding, $25/hour would be fantastic. Most K-12 education pays less than half that and takes a Master's in a lot of states.

Move to NJ, that is starting salary for teachers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Getting a credential in a different state is not always trivial, but yeah, $12.50 an hour for a credentialed teacher with an MS is horrible. Teachers are chronically underpaid but that's ridiculous.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Move to NJ, that is starting salary for teachers.

For the typical teacher, $25/hour would mean between $50k and maybe $65k a year.

e: welp, the internet says that apparently some schools in NJ actually do start at $50k (:psyduck:) and that NJ has the highest average starting salary in the US. So you're right!

However, this also means everywhere else in the US pays shittier. :v:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I think the average starting salary in South Dakota is around 30k a year, if you still want to make that point.

:smithicide:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Keep in mind that elementary school teachers typically don't automatically have work for 10 weeks of summer, so the annual salary is for ~40 weeks of work rather than ~50 for a normal salaried worker. Teachers can sometimes pick up extra work doing summer school to fill in the time.

On the other hand, teachers also spend a lot of uncompensated time after work grading papers and doing prep.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Yeah, people like to bring up the summer as "more time off than normal people get" but most teachers put in 10 to 12 hours a weekday during the rest of the year. Anyone teaching AP sections is likely doing the same again either Saturday or Sunday.

Mr. Despair posted:

I think the average starting salary in South Dakota is around 30k a year, if you still want to make that point.

:smithicide:

Virginia too, plus it's a Right-To-Work (ie unions GTFO also gently caress your "due process") state and the school budgets are mostly funded by property taxes, so in most districts there's been both a raise freeze and a hiring freeze for the last 7 or 8 years. Teaching in modern public education is an obviously-addictive and fairly destructive drug.

Sorry for the derail; TLDR you could do a lot worse out of college than becoming an architect. Obligatory joke about an English degree.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 21, 2014

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

but most teachers put in 10 to 12 hours a weekday

And this is different from a lot of other "exempt" salaried workers exactly how?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

And this is different from a lot of other "exempt" salaried workers exactly how?

They get paid like poo poo? Teachers have a disproportionately terrible work:pay ratio.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Splizwarf posted:

Virginia too, plus it's a Right-To-Work (ie unions GTFO also gently caress your "due process") state

Ahem. :eng101: I believe you're thinking of At-Will Employment. It's nice to see somebody saying Right-to-work correctly for once.

From the schadenfreude thread:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

They get paid like poo poo? Teachers have a disproportionately terrible work:pay ratio.

This is in relation to all of those other exempt employees not getting the summer off. Or "off" if you pick up other gigs.

Are teachers typically underpaid? Absolutely. Are they unique or anywhere close to the worst example of this type of thing amongst the academically educated workforce? Hell no.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Motronic posted:

It's not. The point was that a teacher making $30k/year is pulling down ~$12.50/hour in a position that typically requires 6+ years and >$50k of college; originally posted as an amused argument to

quote:

Architecture has the lowest pay vs schooling ratio of just about any professional career [...] at $25/hour.

I don't know what you're getting at by 'exempt', overtime I guess? I wasn't trying to make any points about that. :confused:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

This is in relation to all of those other exempt employees not getting the summer off. Or "off" if you pick up other gigs.
Fantastic. So you can not make a living wage at teaching, and then in the summer you can try to pick up a lovely part-time job like wait staff or making sandwiches at Subway, and not make a living wage there too!

quote:

Are teachers typically underpaid? Absolutely. Are they unique or anywhere close to the worst example of this type of thing amongst the academically educated workforce? Hell no.

They're unique in that having good teachers is absolutely vital to a functioning society at a fundamental level (like, more fundamental than, say, sewage workers) and yet we treat them like poo poo anyway.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

They're unique in that having good teachers is absolutely vital to a functioning society at a fundamental level (like, more fundamental than, say, sewage workers) and yet we treat them like poo poo anyway.

Wow....I see there's nowhere left go go here with a comparison like that. Too many intended or unintended misunderstandings of long-vs-short term needs with overtones of intellectual superiority to boot.

In any case, this isn't the thread for it so I'll just stop here.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

Somebody dying

Uhm... did I just watch somebody...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Probably not, it looks like the roof framing stopped short of the guy's chair and the other dude seems to have swum off.

What the hell was that clip from, though? A movie? Real life?

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

ColHannibal posted:

Uhm... did I just watch somebody...

You can see the guy moving his arms through the framework. He's still sitting in his plastic chair.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Oh no the beer didn't make it!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Fantastic. So you can not make a living wage at teaching, and then in the summer you can try to pick up a lovely part-time job like wait staff or making sandwiches at Subway, and not make a living wage there too!

It's not unknown that teachers are "underpaid"* but people do it anyway. It amazes me that people work rewarding jobs for less money. crazy.

*I am friends with numerous teachers. Their starting base pay is around $35k/year, which is pretty good for starting, and if they pick up coaching one extra curricular activity it adds about $5k per year. More importantly, the unions play the retirement game and 4 years before you retire you get gigantic loving raises so that your pension is huge. Oh, and in Illinois they don't have to pay into social security, they just put 10% into the pension fund. So their pay rate is not equivalent to mine.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Hey! Shut the hell up about teaching! I come to this forum to get away from that poo poo! (I'm a teacher)

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

MisterOblivious posted:

poo poo falling down

I am trying to do some back of napkin math here about the forces in play there. It is hard to tell how long the span is and the amount of sag because of the angle of the video, but I'm guessing about 1000-3000 lbs of horizontal force is applied to that column.
Is it considered crappy construction if we don't overbuild enough to accommodate idiots with slacklines? Just think, we were probably just one $3 piece of rebar away from not having that hilarious video.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

CopperHound posted:

I am trying to do some back of napkin math here about the forces in play there. It is hard to tell how long the span is and the amount of sag because of the angle of the video, but I'm guessing about 1000-3000 lbs of horizontal force is applied to that column.
Is it considered crappy construction if we don't overbuild enough to accommodate idiots with slacklines? Just think, we were probably just one $3 piece of rebar away from not having that hilarious video.

Given the situation of that column (i.e. outdoors, next to a poorpool), I would consider at the very least the potential of a hammock connected to it, which means you'd have to consider the possibility of e.g. three adults simultaneously jumping into said hammock.

Then again, my inclination is to drastically overbuild whenever given the option.

EDIT: VVV well if they can't be bothered to fill their giant hole in the ground with champagne, then they're clearly not high society, right?

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 21, 2014

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Given the situation of that column (i.e. outdoors, next to a poor),

Do you wear a tophat and monocle? :wotwot:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

EDIT: VVV well if they can't be bothered to fill their giant hole in the ground with champagne, then they're clearly not high society, right?
Ugh, what a waste of champagne. I fill my pool with artisanal glacier water.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

CopperHound posted:

Well, I don't know. It looks like it was made by stacking pavers on top of each other with no reinforcement and that seems like something that's not up to code. Using nails on the shingles wouldn't have been a terrible idea either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHVX0GcszJA

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

how do you nail clay tiles?

Actually, I can't tell for sure, I just assumed it was clay because it wasn't nailed.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 21, 2014

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

CopperHound posted:

how do you nail clay tiles?

Actually, I can't tell for sure, I just assumed it was clay because it wasn't nailed.

There's a hole at the top of the tile.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
Yeah those are spanish-style clay tiles.

I could be wrong, but the (blurry)plant in the foreground of that video looks like it could be seagrape, which means south coastal Florida. Which explains everything in that video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
They look an awful lot like clay to me. But either way, there's not much to nail the tiles to.