Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

henpod posted:

What is the sound of one plane disappearing?

If a plane falls in the ocean and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Polk
Jun 18, 2010

I was born in a farmhouse in Pineville, North Carolina
dang, they're not gonna find it and this is gonna bug me the rest of my life

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

James Polk posted:

I am also moving on and do not believe they will ever find the crash site even if they do find some floating wreckage within the next week, or some wreckage washed-up on shore.

The question is, will this event force constant GPS tracking of all ocean-crossing airplanes? Or maybe install some sort of giant floating smiley face that deploys on impact with water so we know where to look for the drat airplane turned submarine.

James Polk
Jun 18, 2010

to be honest a GPS unit is so loving cheap i don't know why planes wouldn't have them already

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
How about a tracking unit that cannot be disabled by the flight crew and in the event of an overwater crash/landing the loving thing serves as a beacon rather than sink to the bottom of the ocean.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

James Polk posted:

to be honest a GPS unit is so loving cheap i don't know why planes wouldn't have them already

You can get your own GPS coordinates in the middle of a desert. You won't have a cell phone signal to let anyone else know what they are. Same goes with planes over the ocean.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There's an article in the NY Times today about how the tech exists to track planes via satellite but the airlines don't want to pay for it because air travel is extremely safe for the most part.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

never trust an elf posted:

The bigger unsolved mystery is this thread title
That's just 3O being woefully culturally unaware.

Woden
May 6, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

There's an article in the NY Times today about how the tech exists to track planes via satellite but the airlines don't want to pay for it because air travel is extremely safe for the most part.

Yeah, we already track whales from space and I don't understand why they wouldn't want it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Hahah this plane is loving GONE guys.

James Polk
Jun 18, 2010

bisticles posted:

You can get your own GPS coordinates in the middle of a desert. You won't have a cell phone signal to let anyone else know what they are. Same goes with planes over the ocean.

planes have radios though, have it transmit GPS location every 10 minutes so when it goes down we know where to look

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

James Polk posted:

planes have radios though, have it transmit GPS location every 10 minutes so when it goes down we know where to look

They basically have those, but with an off switch.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
why would you want an off switch on it?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

gnarlyhotep posted:

why would you want an off switch on it?

Dunno, to help disable electrical fires on the very high powered radio in the cockpit.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
To get to somalia without anyone knowing.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Have they announced that those objects west of Australia are a bunch of nothing?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

keevo posted:

Have they announced that those objects west of Australia are a bunch of nothing?
They haven't actually found anything, although Australia did back off and issue a statement that was basically "Yeah, about that... Uhh don't get too excited just yet. It could be anything."

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

keevo posted:

I think their prime minister announced that the families of the MH370 passengers deserved this.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Bolivar posted:

I think their prime minister announced that the families of the MH370 passengers deserved this.
His exact words were "227 fewer people Australia needs to worry about."

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

tentative8e8op posted:

If a plane falls in the ocean and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Yes, but the plane is both missing and not missing at the same time until someone sees it.

Outpulse
Feb 11, 2009
Have they found the mangosteens yet?

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

bathroom sounds posted:

lol mother loving bruce with the ice cold comment

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

bathroom sounds posted:

We'll hell, I'd vote for him!

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Outpulse posted:

Have they found the mangosteens yet?

Those mangosteens are at the bottom of the deep, dark ocean. Those mangosteens are gone, son.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

bathroom sounds posted:

That dude is cool.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

bathroom sounds posted:

lol

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Bolivar posted:

technically for a split second the plane became a boat when it hit the water so that was that

The infrastructure would probably be doable if you had enough money / time to prepare(steal stuff). the real problem is going to be keeping it quiet, a massive jet turning up in any isolated place is going to be big news and since pretty much everywhere has cellphone users these days it'll get flagged up by the NSA before too long
VVVV

ReV VAdAUL fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 21, 2014

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
On the topic of crazy conspiracy theories, how much infrastructure does a modern airliner need to stay flyable? Like would a runway in the jungle with some jet fuel, maybe a mechanic or two, would that be enough?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
At least a 5000 foot (almost 1 mile) long runway.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I've been chanting high level chakras while listening to Kylie Minogue tracks.

FlamingLiberal posted:

They could implement the ability to have real time latitude and longitude of commercial aircraft sent through iPhone push notifications on the hour.

Between the doctored satellite imagery showing blob planes (because the countries have to act like their technology sucks for some reason) and the realization that the CVR may only have two hours because the pilots union said having more was a violation of privacy. Well, it's hard not to be misanthropic.

Then when you realize these "black boxes" have 8-track Doobie Brothers technology inside. :doh:

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

James Polk posted:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Since the black boxes only have a limited amount of recording time, is it possible for something to happen to a plane, and then the plane stays aloft long enough that the moment the failure happened falls off the recording range of the tape?

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Did anyone say Schrödinger's Plane yet?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

brylcreem posted:

Did anyone say Schrödinger's Plane yet?
Only like 10 posts above yours...

Lote posted:

Yes, but the plane is both missing and not missing at the same time until someone sees it.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
New audio from control panel and the plane communications has been released:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc5Agb08xJA&t=208s

It clears up a lot. There was definitely a problem with the plane and the pilot was ignoring warnings from the control tower.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Since the black boxes only have a limited amount of recording time, is it possible for something to happen to a plane, and then the plane stays aloft long enough that the moment the failure happened falls off the recording range of the tape?

That's what CNN has been reporting at least. Something about pilots unions negotiating for privacy protection.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I believe the black boxes only record the last two hours of flight audio, so all the good poo poo is gone since the theory is that the plane was in the air for way longer than that after whatever happened that caused it to go off course.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Butterfly Valley posted:

Melbourne is where 99% of the Australians I've met that are worth a drat are from

How's your arts degree going?

The typical melbourne resident:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Zogo posted:

Then when you realize these "black boxes" have 8-track Doobie Brothers technology inside. :doh:

Any commercial aircraft currently flying use solid-state technology.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes, like Helios 522 & Payne Stewart's jet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Any commercial aircraft currently flying use solid-state technology.

That's good to know. CNN said they were using cassettes still.

• Locked thread