Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.
Suze Orman says doulas are a need and not a want, and I agree.

It was so nice having someone at our son's birth who was not there for the medical side of things. She knew the hospital and showed my husband where everything was (like the self serve fridge for patients and their partners), held my cup of ice chips, kept us calm when we needed to make decisions, etc. She took all the pictures when David first emerged so that we could focus on this new creature. We're a lot calmer this time around, but we hired her again for this birth because it was so nice to have her there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Well, I've been in this thread a time or two. The wife is about to have our baby. He's still high, the baby's breeched still, so instead of waiting, they're doing a c-section tomorrow. I might be totally in the wrong, but I kind of wish they'd wait a bit before cutting her open. Wish me luck.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Good luck! She will do great :)

Two months in as parents now. Breast feeding is finally a cinch, thanks to my nipples being totally healed! Kiddo is chunking up appropriately and doing well with daycare. I'm back to work as of last week and managing decently. I need to find a couple hanging toys for him to play with, since he likes to handle tummy time and back time now instead of just be in my or the hubby's arms all the time. He's growing up so big! Air guitar with converse socks! An unfortunate onesie though.

spoonfulofwhoopass
Feb 11, 2010

Gothmog1065 posted:

Well, I've been in this thread a time or two. The wife is about to have our baby. He's still high, the baby's breeched still, so instead of waiting, they're doing a c-section tomorrow. I might be totally in the wrong, but I kind of wish they'd wait a bit before cutting her open. Wish me luck.

Do they think it's unlikely your little bean will turn by himself? If he doesn't your wife would be in for a hell of a painful labor and delivery. Breech birth is risky for mommy and baby. Good luck to you guys, congratulations on your boy!

spoonfulofwhoopass fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 27, 2014

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

Have you tried an external version? My baby was breech, and the doctors turned her around from the outside (pretty insane experience!), and she came out the regular way, no problem :)

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
My wife and I just had our first child. He just turned two days old. Aside from having a pretty lovely panic attack last night at like 4 in the morning things are going okay I suppose.

My question has to do with burping. At the hospital they told us to try and burp him after every feeding. The thing is, when he feeds, he gets super relaxed and kind of falls asleep so its easy to transition him into sleeping like an hour or something but then we try to burp him and it totally fucks him up and he is awake again. On top of that, I'm not really getting a burp after every feeding. I try and try and gently pat his back but no go. At that point I've got no burp and a baby that is amped again when a second ago he was happily feeding on that titty and about to knock off. Thoughts?

Last night was a bitch man. It was his first night home and I was freaking out cause I hadn't slept in like 48 hours. We finally put him down at like 3:30 am and I was thinking okay maybe we can get like an hour or something of sleep. Well when I laid down, I was really panic-y about him waking up. Like I was terrified that he would wake up and we'd have to start the process all over and I would never get sleep. I just couldn't use the opportunity to actually relax or sleep and instead I was getting all heady and freaked out. I loving vomited and had a bit of a cry which was kind of embarrassing but whatever. An hour later the little guy went down for like 4 hours straight so all in all it was a good night I suppose I was just overwhelmed with everything. I don't know why I'm posting this just to get it off my chest I guess.

Also its really bizarre actually posting in this thread after seeing it in passing for the past several years and thinking, "jeez what the hell goes on in there".

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

visuvius posted:

My wife and I just had our first child. He just turned two days old. Aside from having a pretty lovely panic attack last night at like 4 in the morning things are going okay I suppose.

My question has to do with burping. At the hospital they told us to try and burp him after every feeding. The thing is, when he feeds, he gets super relaxed and kind of falls asleep so its easy to transition him into sleeping like an hour or something but then we try to burp him and it totally fucks him up and he is awake again. On top of that, I'm not really getting a burp after every feeding. I try and try and gently pat his back but no go. At that point I've got no burp and a baby that is amped again when a second ago he was happily feeding on that titty and about to knock off. Thoughts?

Last night was a bitch man. It was his first night home and I was freaking out cause I hadn't slept in like 48 hours. We finally put him down at like 3:30 am and I was thinking okay maybe we can get like an hour or something of sleep. Well when I laid down, I was really panic-y about him waking up. Like I was terrified that he would wake up and we'd have to start the process all over and I would never get sleep. I just couldn't use the opportunity to actually relax or sleep and instead I was getting all heady and freaked out. I loving vomited and had a bit of a cry which was kind of embarrassing but whatever. An hour later the little guy went down for like 4 hours straight so all in all it was a good night I suppose I was just overwhelmed with everything. I don't know why I'm posting this just to get it off my chest I guess.

Also its really bizarre actually posting in this thread after seeing it in passing for the past several years and thinking, "jeez what the hell goes on in there".

Yeah, if he falls asleep don't bother with the burping. That was my method.

As for the rest, it will get easier. Just try to focus on baby and sleep (and feeding yourselves) for the first couple weeks. Are you guys breastfeeding or formula feeding? If formula,maybe each of you could take a 4-5 hour shift to be on call at night so the other can get a good chunk of sleep during that time.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
My kid fell asleep after nearly every breastfeeding session as a newborn (and for a long time after). I never burped him unless he was squirmy during the nursing. If he fell asleep, I embraced it.

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.
I have an EBF 3 week old who has been having some very runny (but thick runny? Like the liquid in store-bought jars of gefilte fish) BMs. It's not every BM, but when it happens it's usually a blowout. She doesn't seem dehydrated or unhappy. She squirms a little sometimes when she feeds, whines sometimes and pulls off the breast (not every feeding) but seems otherwise okay.

With my first child we had to FF, so I'm not familiar with what's normal and what isn't with poop consistency, and the internet is no help. I know that EBF poop should be mustard yellow and seedy - which it is when it's not the stuff I'm describing - but is this something that happens and is no big deal or should I call her ped tomorrow morning?

kbdragon
Jun 23, 2012
wrong forum
<- see avatar.

kbdragon fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 28, 2014

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Well, I figured I'd just drop this here. Mom and baby are fine. Colby Wayne was pulled out kicking and screaming this morning at 9:58.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
^^Congratulations on your big adorable baby!

apathetic JAP posted:

I have an EBF 3 week old who has been having some very runny (but thick runny? Like the liquid in store-bought jars of gefilte fish) BMs. It's not every BM, but when it happens it's usually a blowout. She doesn't seem dehydrated or unhappy. She squirms a little sometimes when she feeds, whines sometimes and pulls off the breast (not every feeding) but seems otherwise okay.

With my first child we had to FF, so I'm not familiar with what's normal and what isn't with poop consistency, and the internet is no help. I know that EBF poop should be mustard yellow and seedy - which it is when it's not the stuff I'm describing - but is this something that happens and is no big deal or should I call her ped tomorrow morning?

How often is the runny poop? Is it watery (like does it soak into the diaper)? It's not unusual for breastfed babies to have liquidy poo, but generally if it's a lot more runny than their normal poop it could be diarrhoea.

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.

An Cat Dubh posted:

How often is the runny poop? Is it watery (like does it soak into the diaper)? It's not unusual for breastfed babies to have liquidy poo, but generally if it's a lot more runny than their normal poop it could be diarrhoea.

It's been one or two times a day. Not every BM and not soaking a diaper completely to where it leaks, but it does get pretty wet sometimes (not every runny poop).

Here's a picture of the monster, btw. She was 8lbs 1oz, 19 inches, induction at 39 weeks exactly. She's 3 weeks old today.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

visuvius posted:

If mine fell asleep feeding, I let him sleep. I burped him if he was squirmy and grunting afterward. Also, mine spent a month in NICU and I learned (to my initial horror), that "gentle patting" isn't burping. At first, I was like "HOLY poo poo, THE NURSES ARE TRYING TO BEAT MY PREMATURE INFANT TO DEATH!" but it turns out that he really did need more forceful patting to get anything out.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

apathetic JAP posted:

It's been one or two times a day. Not every BM and not soaking a diaper completely to where it leaks, but it does get pretty wet sometimes (not every runny poop).

Breastfed baby poops are so weird. Just when I thought I'd seen every colour and concistency under the sun, I was greeted with a blowout that, honest to good, looked like cottage cheese in mustard oil. I honestly wouldn't worry unless its so runny and so often that you suspect diarrhea.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Update on the grad school situation--they're going to let me defer for a year! Still deciding between programs and their various start date options, but thank goodness the pressure is off to start so soon after the baby is born. Thanks again to those who shared their experiences :).

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Anyone have any advice for a boy always leaking out of his diaper? I think I might move him from newborns to 1's, that one didn't seem to leak, but he's not even filling the diaper first. It just seems to go straight out. I've been trying to redirect the penis to more in the diaper, but it doesn't seem to help too much. Any ideas?

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Gothmog1065 posted:

Anyone have any advice for a boy always leaking out of his diaper? I think I might move him from newborns to 1's, that one didn't seem to leak, but he's not even filling the diaper first. It just seems to go straight out. I've been trying to redirect the penis to more in the diaper, but it doesn't seem to help too much. Any ideas?

Have you tried a few different brands? My son wore Huggies or Kirkland brand (from Costco), every time I put him in Pampers, he just pissed right out a leg hole without even getting the diaper wet. I have friends whose kids could only wear Pampers because they leaked like hell in Huggies. Different brands work better for different babies.

travelsized
Feb 21, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

Oh I definitely had that problem, annoyed th crap out of me. We mixed it up between Huggies and Pampers but both leaked. In the end we just made sure that the tabs were pulled tight, and the edges of the leg holes were splayed out. And then I think he just grew big enough that it stopped.

We use Pampers sensitives because my little man really hated being wet and the sensitives kept him drier longer (so we weren't changing him every hour.)

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I think the diaper thing was his newborn diapers we had. He's not 8lbs yet, but we've started using the 1's and he's been fine ever since sans a few rare mishaps.

Another stupid (maybe) question. He's gotten to the point where he almost sounds like he's panting sometimes when he breathes. He doesn't seem to have a temperature, no visible drippings from the nose or anything, he still cries when he's hungry/wet. He has his 2 week checkup on thurs, but I was wondering if there is anything I should be looking for?

spoonfulofwhoopass
Feb 11, 2010
Do you feel a wheeze in his chest if you put your hand against it? Is he sleeping normally and outputting a normal number of pees and poops? Is he alert or lethargic? Any constipation or diarrhea? Does the panting occur randomly? Does it ease up when you sit him upright?

If he's peeing and pooping normally, and eating normally, with no fever or visible signs of distress, then I think you should be okay. Newborns often breathe irregularly, especially before sleep or during dreams (is that when you notice it?). If he's pink and active you should be all right. If you notice that he's sucking in at the ribs or there's movement at the base of his throat (called tracheal tug) then he might be having trouble. But mostly it's just the systems regulating themselves. He'll get the hang of it! Don't panic. :3:

spoonfulofwhoopass fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 13, 2014

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

spoonfulofwhoopass posted:

Do you feel a wheeze in his chest if you put your hand against it? Is he sleeping normally and outputting a normal number of pees and poops? Is he alert or lethargic? Any constipation or diarrhea? Does the panting occur randomly? Does it ease up when you sit him upright?

If he's peeing and pooping normally, and eating normally, with no fever or visible signs of distress, then I think you should be okay. Newborns often breathe irregularly, especially before sleep or during dreams (is that when you notice it?). If he's pink and active you should be all right. If you notice that he's sucking in at the ribs or there's movement at the base of his throat (called tracheal tug) then he might be having trouble. But mostly it's just the systems regulating themselves. He'll get the hang of it! Don't panic. :3:

Yeah, none of the wheezing or rattling. He seemed to be doing it constantly, but today I noticed he was regular again. Trying not to be that :supaburn: parent, but I'd rather know than let him get too bad.

Ambystoma
Oct 22, 2008

At least I looked like a popular idiot.
I have a question about Lanolin cream - I think I'm doing it wrong :saddowns:. I'm at 39+ 3 and my nipples are getting pretty dry and grumpy so I thought I'd try out the cream I got for nursing and it moisturises pretty nicely, but I'm having lots of trouble spreading it on. Are they all really sticky and hard to spread or is it just this brand (I got Lasinoh, which seems to be the most recommended one over here in Aus), because it seems like it would kind of hurt to do all this rubbing on sore nipples later on.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Supposed to be like that. I always rubbed it in between my thumb and finger to thin it out a bit before putting it on.

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
I second Sheri's comment. Warm the lanolin between your fingers prior to applying it to your nipples. It takes just seconds for it to melt into something useful.

Ambystoma
Oct 22, 2008

Cool, thanks guys!

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Gothmog I totally forget what that kind of breathing is called in newborns but it's A Thing They Do when learning to breathe on the outside, my ped gave it a sciencey sounding name like... ugh I can't remember but "episodic breathing" or "periodic breathing" or neither of those but something like that, haha. Sorry. But it freaked me out too, was good to hear it was totally normal.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Lanisoh brand is thicker and a bit harder to spread, but has no taste. Medela brand is really easy to apply, but tastes wretched :P

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

sudont posted:

Gothmog I totally forget what that kind of breathing is called in newborns but it's A Thing They Do when learning to breathe on the outside, my ped gave it a sciencey sounding name like... ugh I can't remember but "episodic breathing" or "periodic breathing" or neither of those but something like that, haha. Sorry. But it freaked me out too, was good to hear it was totally normal.

Yes, it's periodic breathing. Normal and expected to resolve within a few weeks of birth. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periodic_breathing

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

http://www.amazon.com/Motherlove-10...ve+nipple+cream This stuff is amazing. Not clumpy or annoying to apply and get off your fingers like lanolin cream.

Ambystoma
Oct 22, 2008

So, I have a hot tip for any expecting parents lurking this thread - if it's early enough I would suggest you straight up lie about your due date to people, especially family. Just go ahead and tell them the 41 week date instead and save yourself a little of the frantic harassment. I felt really sorry for the poster a few pages back that was getting the third degree from week 38 onwards, it's been bad enough getting "Oh we're getting so worried that you haven't had the baby yet" a full week before the due date but now at 40+ 2 uggh holyshit, why do people feel that calling twice a day (to check on :siren: OUR PRECIOUS GRANDSON :siren:) is helpful or appropriate? My partner and I have told everyone that 50% of first timers deliver later than dates and that 39 to 41 weeks are still considered "optimal" etc etc to no avail. I'm not as grumpy as I sound, I promise, I just really wish someone has given me that piece of advice early on, along with "buy a shitload of pillows, no, more than that, we're talking buy up half the shop" "make a wheat pack/rice bag thing, it will cost $2 and you will end up carting it around like that favourite blankie you had as a toddler" and "keep a stash of antacids beside the bed, because the first time you ever get reflux in your whole life will absolutely be at 3 in the morning" which are all also pretty great advice.

edit: thanks for the lanolin help guys - It's awesome now that I know to warm it up a bit first.

Ambystoma fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 20, 2014

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
I totally agree. That is why I told people I was due in "early October" (due date was October 2, babby came out September 28). They are called estimated due dates for a reason!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

When it was around/past my due date, if my mom didn't see me signed into skype in a little while she'd call to see if I went into labor because thats surely the only reason I wouldn't be on the internet.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Maybe you guys can help me. I'm trying to find some spare car seat bases for my "travel system". It's a safety 1st saunter car seat, and has the "stay in car" base, but I cannot, for the life of me, find any spare bases for this model. Am I looking for something wrong?

e: Is there a better carseat that can be used on up and that is easily transferable? A few people might be toting the baby around depending on what's going on, and it would be nice to have something that's easy to move from car to car.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 20, 2014

kbdragon
Jun 23, 2012

Gothmog1065 posted:

Maybe you guys can help me. I'm trying to find some spare car seat bases for my "travel system". It's a safety 1st saunter car seat, and has the "stay in car" base, but I cannot, for the life of me, find any spare bases for this model. Am I looking for something wrong?

I'd just search for "safety 1st car seat base" at your favorite baby goods store. Found this at Babies R Us.

Most seats/bases I've encountered (in the US) are compatible with the LATCH system, so as long as the cars you use have it (post-2002 vehicles are required to) the seats aren't TOO bad to transfer. When you start talking about infant->65 lbs convertible car seats, though, the bulkier the seat the more hassle it is just to maneuver and carry it between vehicles.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Gothmog1065 posted:

e: Is there a better carseat that can be used on up and that is easily transferable? A few people might be toting the baby around depending on what's going on, and it would be nice to have something that's easy to move from car to car.

I looked on the Safety 1st website at the Saunter travel system - the stroller part is called a Saunter, the carseat is actually the Comfy Carry model. So you're looking for a base for a Safety 1st Comfy Carry. You can order extra bases directly from the manufacturer: http://corporate.djgusa.com/webapp/...erm=comfy+carry

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Fionnoula posted:

I looked on the Safety 1st website at the Saunter travel system - the stroller part is called a Saunter, the carseat is actually the Comfy Carry model. So you're looking for a base for a Safety 1st Comfy Carry. You can order extra bases directly from the manufacturer: http://corporate.djgusa.com/webapp/...erm=comfy+carry

I knew I was doing something wrong. Didn't realize they called it something different. Though considering the car seat is only for infants, might not order a lot. Though I'll look to see what that base is capable of being upgraded to.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
We found out that the hubby's work car (cargo modified HHR) will not safely transport an infant car seat, so I am kiddo's main transportation. Kinda sucks, since I miss running to Sheetz in the morning for a snack, but I guess that technically saves me money until the new one with a drive thru is built across the street from work.

Kidd will be 3 months on Sunday. What a long, strange, cute and cuddly trip it's been since last May. Graduating to the big kid thread - see you all there at some point and best of luck!

We love to jump for the Reds this morning!

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Gothmog1065 posted:

I knew I was doing something wrong. Didn't realize they called it something different. Though considering the car seat is only for infants, might not order a lot. Though I'll look to see what that base is capable of being upgraded to.

Likely nothing. As a general rule, bases are only used for infant buckets. I only know of 1 convertible carseat on the market with a base system for multiple cars, the Graco Smart Seat. Good for up to 100 lbs - rear facing to 40lbs, front facing to 50lbs, then it's a belt positioning booster to 100lbs. However, I understand it's really heavy. Also, it's really pricey at $300 with each additional base at $100. It's also currently under recall due to a buckle issue with all non-infant Graco carseat buckles (they're replacing the buckles with ones that do not jam). For that price, you'd be way better off just getting convertible seats for each car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Ambystoma posted:

So, I have a hot tip for any expecting parents lurking this thread - if it's early enough I would suggest you straight up lie about your due date to people, especially family. Just go ahead and tell them the 41 week date instead and save yourself a little of the frantic harassment. I felt really sorry for the poster a few pages back that was getting the third degree from week 38 onwards, it's been bad enough getting "Oh we're getting so worried that you haven't had the baby yet" a full week before the due date but now at 40+ 2 uggh holyshit, why do people feel that calling twice a day (to check on :siren: OUR PRECIOUS GRANDSON :siren:) is helpful or appropriate? My partner and I have told everyone that 50% of first timers deliver later than dates and that 39 to 41 weeks are still considered "optimal" etc etc to no avail.

This is excellent advice. My wife got this from family and friends frequently. I had to tell her aunt to shut up because she had a "feeling" it would come a particular week, which happened to be at 34 weeks gestation. :doh: That upset my wife to no end.

Of course, the comeuppance was great when we delivered our twins at 37.5 weeks with the scheduled c-section. :hellyeah:

Pendragon fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 21, 2014