Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Speaking of IDOCs: did the small tower next to yew lich go IDOC yet? It was greatly worn last time I checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Sound posted:

Anyone interested in doing idocs? We have enough actives to run the map once a week and check fairly worns for the fw->gw turn at least once a day.

I can set up and manage everything if theres enough interest. Doing it basically by myself at the moment and I can get a couple timed idocs per day. Not much competition and if we have the exact timer using my method, we can just come in and roll a couple people on reds then clean up the loot ourselves.

idoccing alone sucks dick, come be stupid rich with me for minimal work.

Skype works best to coordinate, add me austinofthepools at live dot com.

I'm into it like we talked about in-game. I'm Mein Schwanz and Jimmy Jakes.

FAT-N-GAY-4-PAY
Sep 22, 2005
Jerryk sucks, and is making me post this :(

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

FAT-N-GAY-4-PAY posted:

Jerryk sucks, and is making me post this :(

WHO ARE YOU?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

He's a goddamn spy, that's who.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots

life is killing me posted:

I knew a guy on OSI when I played Chesapeake way back that had billions. He flipped houses.

Hey I remember that guy. He had a rares shop at that Occlo bank spot. I used to hang out outside all the time and steal rares from people there.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

jsr v2.0 posted:

Hey I remember that guy. He had a rares shop at that Occlo bank spot. I used to hang out outside all the time and steal rares from people there.

Yeah I just forget his name, I thought it was Raistlin. I could be remembering wrong.

He gave me like 2k and I was all excited because at the time that was a lot of money to me (I was young and dumb, and poor. I never had time to play UO like I wanted because I was usually grounded or my dad was on me to do stupid chores).

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.

|Ziggy| posted:

And the winners are *drumroll*

House 2:

House 1:

Congrats. Please post the character name house should be going to.

We should set a time to meet ingame because we seem to miss each other constantly. Saw you in the chat the other day after I went afk but you were gone when I came back.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Boy can't wait to get back and then page and bitch about my "ageless" house that is now gone. Then make a thread on the uof forums complaining and get banned :<

How active ya'll these days?

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Christoff posted:

Boy can't wait to get back and then page and bitch about my "ageless" house that is now gone. Then make a thread on the uof forums complaining and get banned :<

We are pretty active I would say. Have a decent group of people playing. We are just trying to get our pvp guild going.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

Christoff posted:

lame -- i think EQMS house is still standing. Id log on to PVP

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

Christoff posted:

Was yours the 18x18 kinda nead goontown named 'army'? If so it's still there.

Pretty active, yea EQMS house is still standing.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
I just want to say that Ziggy is a pretty awesome guy

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Highblood posted:

I just want to say that Ziggy is a pretty awesome guy

He loving rules my new crib is baller as gently caress!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Sound posted:

Was yours the 18x18 kinda nead goontown named 'army'? If so it's still there.

Pretty active, yea EQMS house is still standing.

I had another one right at the x-roads :/

FormerFatty posted:

lame -- i think EQMS house is still standing. Id log on to PVP

Then log on and get the back back together!

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 19, 2014

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Christoff posted:

I had another one right at the x-roads :/

Then log on and get the back back together!

You back from deployment? Or just chilling at MWR

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

You back from deployment? Or just chilling at MWR

Ships have (limited) internet

Technology I tell ya (not being smart it blew my mind)

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Christoff posted:

Ships have (limited) internet

Technology I tell ya (not being smart it blew my mind)

Look at this surface puke right here.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Goons I need help. Should I turn my newly acquired house into the Bellagio or the Spearmint Rhino?

Edit: Guys that use the Trap House the small house next door is gone I guess the guy moved...looks like a decent sized lot if someone was lookign for a spot

Surfing Turtle fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 19, 2014

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

Surfing Turtle posted:

Goons I need help. Should I turn my newly acquired house into the Bellagio or the Spearmint Rhino?

Edit: Guys that use the Trap House the small house next door is gone I guess the guy moved...looks like a decent sized lot if someone was lookign for a spot

If you're going the way of Vegas strip clubs, I vote Little Darlings.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

|Ziggy| posted:

If you're going the way of Vegas strip clubs, I vote Little Darlings.

Little Darlings really?! I go Spearmint and then Treasures.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

Surfing Turtle posted:

Little Darlings really?! I go Spearmint and then Treasures.

I'm just playing, but if you're under 21 it's awesome. It's like instead of Bellagio you pick Fremont Street. Still fun but not as classy.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

|Ziggy| posted:

I'm just playing, but if you're under 21 it's awesome. It's like instead of Bellagio you pick Fremont Street. Still fun but not as classy.

Ever since they put in that zip line at Fremont I dont mind going there lol

Edit: Thank you so much for the house. I may be broke now but it's still awesome lol

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Look at this surface puke right here.

We also have icecream on Saturdays, dodgeball tournaments, and a gym with everything you'd need!

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go for a run on the deck.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Christoff posted:

We also have icecream on Saturdays, dodgeball tournaments, and a gym with everything you'd need!

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go for a run on the deck.

What ship are you on Christoff? Just in case I get deployed there, so I can GANK YOUR rear end

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Got a couple of ingenious maps. You guys down to do them tomorrow night?

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

OptimusMatrix posted:

Got a couple of ingenious maps. You guys down to do them tomorrow night?

I'm down to die.

Complexity
Jul 11, 2005
I'll help with some maps for sure.

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

115 Provo here, I'm down for some tmappin

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Anyone pulled of the ol' gate to 3 tile island prank lately?

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Created a Facebook Goon Group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/647501981970894/

Wyverenight
Jan 16, 2014
EQMS come back you loving assholes! I am so sick of Paws/PSB/FIGHT and loving POWER with all their pussy blues and red tamers camping champs. gently caress this staff and server too... I want to delete all my loving blues, remake them "FukUOF", go red and kill every loving pussybluetrammyfuckingshitheadasshole in this game until they all leave Carl's, Alan's and Shane's little baby so they will sodomize each other to loving DEATH! Anyone know of a decent shard that I can play where the staff doesn't get hard-ons for cry baby blues that donate hundreds of dollars to them each month or call you "Immature little poo poo" for telling them (IRC channel) how bloody worthless and obscure these "events" are? I also saw that someone mentioned "Rust" on Steam, is that really any good like UO?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
nope, uof is pretty much the best one in spite of all that

if the GMs arent outright duping gold to give to friends, you're doing pretty good.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Wyverenight posted:

EQMS come back you loving assholes! I am so sick of Paws/PSB/FIGHT and loving POWER with all their pussy blues and red tamers camping champs. gently caress this staff and server too... I want to delete all my loving blues, remake them "FukUOF", go red and kill every loving pussybluetrammyfuckingshitheadasshole in this game until they all leave Carl's, Alan's and Shane's little baby so they will sodomize each other to loving DEATH! Anyone know of a decent shard that I can play where the staff doesn't get hard-ons for cry baby blues that donate hundreds of dollars to them each month or call you "Immature little poo poo" for telling them (IRC channel) how bloody worthless and obscure these "events" are? I also saw that someone mentioned "Rust" on Steam, is that really any good like UO?

The worst part is that the blues crying about getting rolled by PKs in groups of 100 are bringing that poo poo onto themselves by crying about it in the first place. If the staff didn't cater to them and nerf reds at every opportunity to appease the trammies, the reds wouldn't have to roll in giant groups just to avoid getting killed. It's beyond acceptable risk now, like no incentive to make a PK, and if you do make one, of loving course you're going to go in a gigantic gank squad so you don't die and basically have Satan steal your soul as penalty for dying.

I don't blame the PKs for traveling in groups--I blame the blues who cry about it so the staff nerfs PKs beyond comprehension.

Even worse, they are playing favorites by catering to those blues, when there are plenty of PKs who also donate to the server.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Serious post:

I ran a server for a few years. More blues tend to attract more players. PKs tend to drive players away. Blues tend to be the overwhelming majority. PKs are a small percentage of the server population. One group of a half dozen players can make you lose 100+ players if they're making it impossible to go to the popular dungeons. As an unpaid volunteer, you're doing what amounts to a part time (or full time) job because you enjoy it. If a dozen players are risking you losing hundreds of players, you're naturally going to grow to dislike that small group of people. Since you're doing the job because you get enjoyment from it, that small group of players is also ruining the reason that you work a part time job for free.

I'm not saying it's right or justified. I'm saying it's human nature.

As a result, established shards tend to become more "trammie" as time goes on because it minimizes player attrition. Sure, you might lose the PKs but those were the "troublemakers" after all.

For UO to be an enjoyable game, there has to be a very precise balance between making PvE dangerous through non-consensual PvP and making the server enjoyable by artificially limiting the amount of grief a player can endure from another player.

Believe it or not, it's actually really hard to do that without making people mad. It seems like our server's admin team has decided to default to promoting server population over sticking to hardcore UO themes. Is that bad? Well, only if that is your main attraction to the game.

PART 2: event boogaloo
Running an event takes a lot of effort. It might not seem like it but there's usually a lot of planning that goes into them. It's like trying to orchestrate a play, often by yourself, with a moderately hostile audience. If you don't have a creative background, it's far more difficult. The problem with the events that I've attended are that they tend to lack internal and external consistency. They seem to lack an event team and just make up one-off events that should not be one-off. Good, memorable events are hard to pull off. I think that the staff that they have just don't care enough about them beyond a check-in-the-box for saying "yup, we have events!"

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

KetTarma posted:

Serious post:

I ran a server for a few years. More blues tend to attract more players. PKs tend to drive players away. Blues tend to be the overwhelming majority. PKs are a small percentage of the server population. One group of a half dozen players can make you lose 100+ players if they're making it impossible to go to the popular dungeons. As an unpaid volunteer, you're doing what amounts to a part time (or full time) job because you enjoy it. If a dozen players are risking you losing hundreds of players, you're naturally going to grow to dislike that small group of people. Since you're doing the job because you get enjoyment from it, that small group of players is also ruining the reason that you work a part time job for free.

I'm not saying it's right or justified. I'm saying it's human nature.

As a result, established shards tend to become more "trammie" as time goes on because it minimizes player attrition. Sure, you might lose the PKs but those were the "troublemakers" after all.

For UO to be an enjoyable game, there has to be a very precise balance between making PvE dangerous through non-consensual PvP and making the server enjoyable by artificially limiting the amount of grief a player can endure from another player.

Believe it or not, it's actually really hard to do that without making people mad. It seems like our server's admin team has decided to default to promoting server population over sticking to hardcore UO themes. Is that bad? Well, only if that is your main attraction to the game.

PART 2: event boogaloo
Running an event takes a lot of effort. It might not seem like it but there's usually a lot of planning that goes into them. It's like trying to orchestrate a play, often by yourself, with a moderately hostile audience. If you don't have a creative background, it's far more difficult. The problem with the events that I've attended are that they tend to lack internal and external consistency. They seem to lack an event team and just make up one-off events that should not be one-off. Good, memorable events are hard to pull off. I think that the staff that they have just don't care enough about them beyond a check-in-the-box for saying "yup, we have events!"

All of what you said is valid, but I just want to say that blues attract more population because...well, I blame it on WoW. You get a bunch of newer players who have known nothing but games like that and they play accordingly, expecting it to be such. I am not being ironic when I saw I blame WoW because it holds your hand every step of the way, and UO by design does not. In my experience, a lot of the first player-run shards began as people got disgusted with EA and their butchering of the game by, you guessed it, eschewing the original tenets of UO and progressing toward a game that was more like all the other games out there. There are plenty of hardcore UO players who don't need or want to PvP and that's fine, I get it, I am much the same. But what made UO, UO, was the players who knew what they were getting into when they logged on...they might be killed in a dungeon by PKs. As far as PKs, there are plenty of old school players who like to PvP, blue or red, who would fill up a loving server if only dudes who are used to hand-holding didn't cry every single loving time they got killed in a game that never tried to hide the fact that it's a free-for-all.

The way I see it, those players are taking over and forcing the old-school ones like many of us to leave servers because we expect UO to be what it has always been, what it's supposed to be. They help cause an imbalance in the game that skews it heavily in favor of OG dudes or trammy-type players depending on the server, and it gets frustrating to see dudes cry to the admins every time they get killed by a dude who is playing the game as it was designed.

I'd want server pop too, but I think that it would all even itself out as OG players come in and make it so. And I'm not saying there is anything I can do to correct or change the course on which most populated player-run shards are traveling. I guess it just is what it is and I play for nostalgia mostly anyway. I just shed a small tear every time someone complains about being killed in this of all games, because some PKs really do it for the griefing and yeah that is sad. But I remember being killed a lot in old-school OSI UO, and a lot of times reds would kill me and then res me, then they'd move on to another area and leave the loving dungeon alone for a bit. I'd get looted of course. At first it made me mad too because I was young, but I got used to it. So in essence I guess it's not totally the fault of trammy blues, but also of the poo poo heel reds who do it solely to grief and res kill and talk poo poo and ghost camp dungeons to make their jobs easier.

Wyverenight
Jan 16, 2014
It is all well and good to want the server to thrive... but lean it too hard in one direction, and it will all come crashing down. I don't know about any of you, but that trammy poo poo gets tiring with a tamer all the time. I made the tamer to get more money to make a character TO KILL EVERYTHING ON SIGHT! This is how myself and many potential players feel, but this server is lacking because Shane says poo poo like "there should be absolutely no loving reason to help PKs" when people were losing their mind over stamina loss and Carl losing his mind and calling me names and cussing at me when I told him that event was lacking information and was worthless to make people fight something that kills the whole dungeon... I ran around for hours only to get a message that the stupid boss had been killed. Instead of saying anything diplomatic AT ALL... he booted me for "whining/worthless" when I called him out on his "you guys shoulda" comment he made then when I re-entered it, this happened: (I would like everyone to keep in mind that when they were convinced that EQMS was ruining their server, they sent in hit squads with the intention of making people quit and openly using their powers against us and did everything short of banning Glutt from the game... now all of a sudden there are only 1 or two guilds that run IDOC AND Champ.... I would rather him just make them gold then favor them so much...)
[18:56:30] <Carl-> Want to continue acting like a immature little poo poo and breaking irc rules? If so I can remove your privledges from this chat.
[18:57:01] <Wyverenight> immature little poo poo?  If I am breaking irc rules, then are you not just throwing them out the window with that?
[18:57:22] <Carl-> Yes whining like a child
[18:57:26] <Carl-> over an event
[18:57:37] <Wyverenight> because I get trolled every time
[18:57:39] <Wyverenight> you give no info
[18:57:47] <Wyverenight> I am not in the cool crowd
[18:57:55] <Wyverenight> so i get stuck running around for hours\
[18:58:05] <Wyverenight> and called names by the devs
[18:58:09] <Wyverenight> awesome event
[18:58:27] <Wyverenight> immature little poo poo
[18:58:32] <Wyverenight> i like that one
[18:58:39] <Wyverenight> thnks
[19:00:01] <Carl-> Goodbye
[19:00:07] <Carl-> Your attitude isn't welcome here
[19:00:08] <Carl-> nor is your whining
[19:00:32] <Wyverenight> roger that cool guy
[19:00:35] <Wyverenight> thanks again
[19:00:36] <Carl-> WE put hours/upon weeks into these events. You aren't required to participate if you arne't getting anything this is your problem not ours.
[19:00:43] <Wyverenight> i will be sure to tell everyone this is how you act
[19:01:01] <Carl-> Enjoy your in game ban too and go right ahead.
[3/23/2014 7:29:04 PM] Relic Wyverenight: [19:01:08] <Wyverenight> ok... thank
[19:01:10] <Wyverenight> again
[19:01:22] <Wyverenight> i have only put countless hours
[19:01:26] <Wyverenight> and money in to your game
[19:01:28] <Wyverenight> it is cool
[19:01:51] <Wyverenight> and always help people
[19:01:59] <Wyverenight> and always spread how good this server is
[19:02:02] <Wyverenight> but awesome
[19:02:10] <Carl-> Pointless Threats lol
[19:02:14] <Carl-> Just proving my point
[19:02:16] <Carl-> Immature little poo poo
[19:02:20] <Wyverenight> i did not threaten you
[19:02:20] <Carl-> welcome to ignore.
[19:02:27] <Wyverenight> i am telling you that i have been a dedicated member
[19:02:33] <Wyverenight> but i have not given hundreds of dollars
[19:02:38] <Wyverenight> so you are pitching a fit
[19:02:43] <Wyverenight> over me not liking your event
[19:02:58] <Wyverenight> that i have spent yet again countless hours running around only to be told that it is over
[19:03:00] <Carl-> <KSagan> face eaten
[19:03:00] <Carl-> --- spawn is now known as Unidentified7255
[19:03:00] <Carl-> <KSagan> dick also ripped off
[19:03:00] <Carl-> <Nurayia> hm
[19:03:01] <Carl-> <Violence> lol
[19:03:03] <Carl-> <Bradley> When was the last save?
[19:03:05] <Carl-> <Bradl
[19:03:23] <Carl-> lol
[19:04:01] <Wyverenight> lol.... you are getting a kick out of this huh?
[19:04:07] <Wyverenight> well i am glad i could make your day
[19:04:19] <Wyverenight> nice that THIS is what gets you in arms
[19:06:41] <Wyverenight> what were the irc rules i broke BEFORE you called me a "immature little poo poo"?
[19:06:48] <Wyverenight> huh?
[19:06:59] <Wyverenight> and how is that even remotely a correct response?
[19:07:11] <Wyverenight> for a first time offender and long time member?
[19:07:41] <Wyverenight> I would like to know what your response would be if encountered like that

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

All of what you said is valid, but I just want to say that blues attract more population because...well, I blame it on WoW.

You don't have to blame WoW. It was obvious even in UO's heyday that people don't like other people preventing their progress. WoW was merely a refinement of what MMOs did before it, not the progenitor.

Wyverenight
Jan 16, 2014
9/10 times.... (when I ran with them at least), me or someone else would res and send on their way or even let them loot what we did not take... Just because there are some poo poo heads, does not mean the whole lot needs to suffer. So, I have given up on the stat, but there are ways around it. It is not that hard to tweak the mechanics a little... for instance: not that hard to make non-stat areas with high level spawns that do not 1 shot you with looking at you AND/OR making it so that only the killer may turn in a head, allowing for a little bit of wiggle room for red factioners. Instead we get in big red letters MOUNT STAMINA and NO STAT LOSS REMOVAL announcements... come oooon. I have never tried to create a shard, so maybe i sound a little ignorant, but really I just want to play UO for the very thing that it is famous for and that was the freedom of it. This is my first UO experience since this was literally the first MMO on the market playing Atlantic (i believe) with a bunch of geeky family members first experiencing PKs tear through our group of people while first exploring past Papua (T2A as a NEW thing)until Chivalry came in and then we ran crazy on test shards where I had macros to change for every drat class on class fights at once and we all just ran around killing each other... then it started to get weird with is skills and look... and WoW came out and mind hosed my entire MMO MIND for a long time after i quit that horrible game!! Sorry if I come off aggressive or preachy, but... drat it, Jim! I just did not want to run around again for 4 hours looking "everywhere" (their ACTUAL words) just to get ganked by cowardly blues camping spawn or one shotted by the spawn itself. I do believe you are very right in saying they are just doing these things to "check a box", and that is a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Seems like this server is going down the path of every other private UO server :(

Said it isn't so!

I remember in the beginning they were big on "no trammy poo poo! No neon sandals!" Can't blame them, I guess :tenbux:

• Locked thread