Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Dagon posted:

Stolen from YOSPOS (stolen from rpgnet (stolen from deviantart))

Is it just me or does the actual shape of the map resemble Golarion? My favourites are Suckmarsh and Poncy Knights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jade Mage posted:

Is it just me or does the actual shape of the map resemble Golarion? My favourites are Suckmarsh and Poncy Knights.

I think that's the point. That Pathfinder's setting is an extremely generic Mash A Ton Of poo poo Against The Wall, See What Sticks fantasy setting.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm not seeing much resemblance? It does pretty accurately reflect their "What real-world nation is this part of the map a transparent stand-in for?" approach, though.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

You don't see the resemblance because it is sort of a zoom in on the main area which is in the middle towards the top of the world map you posted. It's not a perfect match, but I'm pretty certain the artist was going for the connection, and I think the place names bear that out, but I'm not super knowledgeable about the setting. I prefer the original and superior fantasy kitchen sink, glorious Faerun.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

I'm looking for pictures of some cool chariots! Deviantart only shows up ponies and anime and honestly I don't know where else should I look

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/sHq1di6.jpg:nws:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WINNIE EDIT: Please link to NWS poo poo, it still shows up in the browser history and such!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 21, 2014

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

That's a very big picture.

Dr.Tree
May 7, 2007

Sure there are goons in local government. But there are goons in national government too

Dagon posted:

Stolen from YOSPOS (stolen from rpgnet (stolen from deviantart))

I want nothing more than to adventure in Tiger-Headed Opium Nightmare.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Vadoc posted:

That's a very big picture.

The Lord of The Grand Illusory Play Of Reality deserves no less than that.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Hint: Don't put NSFW content in spoiler tags. Link to it instead.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Jade Mage posted:

I can't see it as anything but a swollen Crimea.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Tollymain posted:

That reminds me, everybody go read Kill 6 Billion Demons right now.

I actually found it by accident right before I read that post, by googling 'Reach Heaven By Violence' (the quote from Vivec's sermons). Does Kirkbride have any involvement with K6BD? The style is super familiar.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jade Mage posted:

Is it just me or does the actual shape of the map resemble Golarion?

Night10194 posted:

I think that's the point. That Pathfinder's setting is an extremely generic Mash A Ton Of poo poo Against The Wall, See What Sticks fantasy setting.

Someone in the RPGNet thread linked to this map of Golarion marked up pretty much the same way.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Someone in the RPGNet thread linked to this map of Golarion marked up pretty much the same way.

I'm currently playing Legacy of Fire, which takes place in Drugs & Slaves, but my character is from ALSO WIZARDS.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Cyberpunk spec art just seems to be exploding lately:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think I understand what's going on there, but I have no idea why you'd design it like that.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

This map is suggesting that there's something wrong with Conan vs Magic Robots from Space. I beg to differ. :colbert:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Slashrat posted:

Hint: Don't put NSFW content in spoiler tags. Link to it instead.

I like how people continue to get probated for this but it hasn't sunk in. There's even a big sticky in GBS for it now. It's the best thing.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

goatface posted:

I think I understand what's going on there, but I have no idea why you'd design it like that.

Yeah, I'm getting really tired of the "bunches of spindly-bits and greeble" concept design style that's been popular as of late. It feels more like the designer masturbating than presenting anything that could actual function in real life. Seriously, I'm not asking for everything to look like an iPhone, have a Rubbermaid coating, or be Magpul-ribbed, but why does everything, especially something that's worn and has contact with the human body, have to be so sharp-edged?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Young Freud posted:

why does everything, especially something that's worn and has contact with the human body, have to be so sharp-edged?

It's okay, they only look human. :v:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, I'm getting really tired of the "bunches of spindly-bits and greeble" concept design style that's been popular as of late. It feels more like the designer masturbating than presenting anything that could actual function in real life. Seriously, I'm not asking for everything to look like an iPhone, have a Rubbermaid coating, or be Magpul-ribbed, but why does everything, especially something that's worn and has contact with the human body, have to be so sharp-edged?

Agreed, I wish more designers would take a page from Red Dwarf and make all their props from bits of old computers, junk and duct tape.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm looking for a video linked here of the D&D cartoon played as a real campaign. As in the characters were making rolls on screen and acting like a roleplaying group. Could someone post it?

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

DADTUCS is what you're looking for!

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Young Freud posted:

Sharp angles are aggressive, it's all about conveying a mood rather than engineering a real mechanical device - it's the same reason a lot of cyberpunk images have big thick tangles of cables everywhere rather than a couple wifi antannae.

E: VVV Yeah, you still see it today though.

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 22, 2014

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Humboldt Squid posted:

Sharp angles are aggressive, it's all about conveying a mood rather than engineering a real mechanical device - it's the same reason a lot of cyberpunk images have big thick tangles of cables everywhere rather than a couple wifi antannae.

classic cyberpunk was developed before people realized wireless (and fiber) was properly understood

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Humboldt Squid posted:

Actually, physical wires are still more reliable than wi-fi, if only because the very occasional interference that can slow down wi-fi devices isn't an issue with hard lines. As for cable thickness and number, you are probably right about it being an aesthetic choice.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Real cyberpunks still use wires because a broadcast signal can by hacked by someone's head computer and they can jack your netrunner's wetware with some Black Ice!

If you have no idea what this game is or never played it you have no business discussing cyberpunk in an RPG context :colbert:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Veyrall posted:

Actually, physical wires are still more reliable than wi-fi, if only because the very occasional interference that can slow down wi-fi devices isn't an issue with hard lines. As for cable thickness and number, you are probably right about it being an aesthetic choice.

lol @ "very occasional"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

lol @ "very occasional"

This. Wireless is bad for several reasons:
- interference (which only gets worse as more and more wireless devices exist in close proximity to each other).
- security (anyone in range can intercept your wireless traffic and decrypt/capture/redirect it relatively easily).
- bandwidth (with few exceptions, the bandwidth of the average wireless connection is still vastly inferior to that of the average wired connection).

If you're actually connecting to something important, you have no reason not to be doing it hardwired: a wired connection can't be intercepted short of physically tapping into the wire, won't suffer from interference, and will have dramatically faster throughput than a wireless connection.

e; vv

Captain Foo posted:

not to derail too badly, but current wireless security standards are pretty good

I'm hypothesising cyberpunk hackers/counterhackers here (security experts with futuro-software), but it's still trivially easy to snoop on wireless traffic these days even if you're not going to have an easy time decrypting WPAv2.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 22, 2014

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

not to derail too badly, but current wireless security standards are pretty good, but the other things you mentioned are definitely issues

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

This. Wireless is bad for several reasons:
- interference (which only gets worse as more and more wireless devices exist in close proximity to each other).
- security (anyone in range can intercept your wireless traffic and decrypt/capture/redirect it relatively easily).
- bandwidth (with few exceptions, the bandwidth of the average wireless connection is still vastly inferior to that of the average wired connection).

Depending on what you're doing interference is a non-issue because of CDMA and the fact that most traffic is bursty enough that you can mostly avoid collisions. Security is also a non-issue (for the moment) because no one's come up with a good attack on WPA2 as far as I know. Bandwith is the real killer, and why you should laugh at anyone saying LTE will replace fiber "because it's so much faster!!!"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Forums Terrorist posted:

Depending on what you're doing interference is a non-issue because of CDMA and the fact that most traffic is bursty enough that you can mostly avoid collisions. Security is also a non-issue (for the moment) because no one's come up with a good attack on WPA2 as far as I know. Bandwith is the real killer, and why you should laugh at anyone saying LTE will replace fiber "because it's so much faster!!!"

Emphasis on "depending on what you're doing," it's not exactly hard to choke out the air, even by accident

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Humboldt Squid posted:

I don't want to get nitpicky about it, but it's less talking about the sharp exterior and more about how the ergonomics of the thing and how a protective helmet looks like it's made of a hundred pieces. There's other ways to produce sharp angles without making the whole thing look like it's made of razor blades glued together. If you look at how the HUD is attached, it's these sharp angled metal pieces that hang almost unsupported that run up against her face. A good blow or impact is going to cut her cheek wide open or break some teeth and that's without the whole thing being bent or shearing off and filling her sinuses with twisted metal and glass.

Also, what's the swing-out top portion? Is it an unsecured NVG bracket? Why is something like that on there when it's likely that the helmet has that built-in?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
What's all this nerd talk? Let's get back to less nerdy subjects like magic swords, glistening sacks of jewels, and pictures of sweet elf side-boob.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Young Freud posted:

I don't want to get nitpicky about it, but it's less talking about the sharp exterior and more about how the ergonomics of the thing and how a protective helmet looks like it's made of a hundred pieces. There's other ways to produce sharp angles without making the whole thing look like it's made of razor blades glued together. If you look at how the HUD is attached, it's these sharp angled metal pieces that hang almost unsupported that run up against her face. A good blow or impact is going to cut her cheek wide open or break some teeth and that's without the whole thing being bent or shearing off and filling her sinuses with twisted metal and glass.

Also, what's the swing-out top portion? Is it an unsecured NVG bracket? Why is something like that on there when it's likely that the helmet has that built-in?

Yeah, there is zero reason for that HUD to be on an arm instead of integrated into the eyepieces of the helmet

KimotaBoom
Feb 8, 2008
Duck and cover. That's the first thing to do. Duck and cover.
Does anyone have anything that would fit a fantasy postwoman? I'm hoping for someone wearing something vaguely like a uniform and carrying a bag or satchel.

Source.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Hi goons, could someone help me find some images to help with a campaign I'm writing? The setting is basically Medieval Fallout 3. Like if New Crobuzon was the wasteland, inspired by Mordheim and Warmachine. So the stuff I'm looking for is kind of pre-industrial not really steampunk or clockwork. Looking for landscape and character shots, kind of pre industrial scavengers? Pretty specific but hoping you guys can help!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ancient gaming paraphernalia:

From this article. I don't know about you, but I want that green die from the Roman Empire in the first picture.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Can't get enough of that Pathfinder map. Fair enough that they don't even try to hide what it all is, though. The published campaign about WITCHS land has you fighting real-world Russian troops (including possessed tanks) and Rasputin is a major villain as well as (of course) Baba Yaga.

Inverse Icarus posted:

I'm currently playing Legacy of Fire, which takes place in Drugs & Slaves, but my character is from ALSO WIZARDS.

I'm running the PIRATES'n MORE FUCKIN PIRATES one

except I transplanted it to Eberron so something other than obvious pirates showed up and the recurring enemy country trying to get ahold of the islands isn't objectively lawful evil. This is also because I forbade anyone from using alignments.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
I need noble and/or rich folks of either gender, any race. Can be smug or evil or nice or whatever, I just need a bunch of nobility to fill out a court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

CaptCommy posted:

I need noble and/or rich folks of either gender, any race. Can be smug or evil or nice or whatever, I just need a bunch of nobility to fill out a court.

A lot of these are probably reposts, but

Pretty much anyone not actively wearing armor. And even then. Oddly predominantly women, hm.

I don't have a source link handy for any of them, but it shouldn't be to hard to find them in a reverse google image search if you're after it.