Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I still think the jury's out on F4, since it has the potential to be a massive bomb. I don't think they can do much of anything to make the public at large give a poo poo about Fantastic Four. Maybe that X-Men crossover that was rumored, but ehh, I think it's in the same camp as something like Daredevil.

Fake edit: The best Fantastic Four movie is still those episodes of Arrested Development.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I love that the third wolverine movie is called The Wolverine 2 because the first one was just that lovely.

Maybe if things get worse with Russia they can ramp up the jingoism with Fantastic Four just like the original comic for box office draw.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Hakkesshu posted:

I still think the jury's out on F4, since it has the potential to be a massive bomb. I don't think they can do much of anything to make the public at large give a poo poo about Fantastic Four. Maybe that X-Men crossover that was rumored, but ehh, I think it's in the same camp as something like Daredevil.

Fake edit: The best Fantastic Four movie is still those episodes of Arrested Development.

That's a weird way to spell the Incredibles.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I swear I must be the only person who doesn't really care for The Incredibles :smith:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If everyone liked the Incredibles then no one would.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

The Life and Times of T'ohni Sz'takk, intergalactic genius billionaire playboy philanthropist
Well now I just want to see Ghostface Killah in either a Star Wars film or an Avengers one.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

TetsuoTW posted:

Well now I just want to see Ghostface Killah in either a Star Wars film or an Avengers one.

Marvel's greatest crime will always be removing his cameo from Iron Man.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 21, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hakkesshu posted:

I swear I must be the only person who doesn't really care for The Incredibles :smith:

I hate to be the one to tell you but Disney confirmed a few days ago that they're going to make The Incredibles 2.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

FF: Silver Surfer made almost twice it's budget back worldwide. I know fans hated them, hell I never even watched the second one, but they made bank.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hakkesshu posted:

It's the FF with some Watchmen references and sitcom jokes. It's ok. I liked Justice Friends better.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

zoux posted:

FF: Silver Surfer made almost twice it's budget back worldwide. I know fans hated them, hell I never even watched the second one, but they made bank.

I'm pretty sure that twice it's budget worldwide isn't considered super great for a blockbuster, right? Most of them want to beat their budget on domestic gross alone.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

theflyingorc posted:

I'm pretty sure that twice it's budget worldwide isn't considered super great for a blockbuster, right? Most of them want to beat their budget on domestic gross alone.

It depends. Flopping in the States and making it big abroad doesn't always guarantee a sequel but in the last few years studios have finally realised that more people live outside than in the US. It's why a lot of big films get released in Europe first now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

It broke even in the States ($130m)

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

theflyingorc posted:

Especially when you factor in marketing, which tends to be quite a lot for a film on that scale.

It probably still turned a profit, but it can't have generated a particularly impressive ROI, which explains why Fox has taken seven years to put another FF into production.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm pretty sure they made their money back on FF 2 just from selling all that comarketing. Remember this is the movie where they literally stop for a second and give Dodge's catchphrase at the time (the Fantasticar has a "Hemi".)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

muscles like this? posted:

I'm pretty sure they made their money back on FF 2 just from selling all that comarketing. Remember this is the movie where they literally stop for a second and give Dodge's catchphrase at the time (the Fantasticar has a "Hemi".)

Oh, it probably DID make a profit overall - but that doesn't mean it performed at a level that executives are happy with. I'm pretty sure the baseline they like is somewhere around "broke even domestically", then they make a tidy profit off international screenings and merchandising.

Remember - all the resources that were used in the making of FF2 could have potentially been used elsewhere to make a more profitable movie.

(Fox probably ESPECIALLY doesn't like the return when they see how much The Avengers made.)

Also, and this is important, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer was awful and I hate it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I thought it was a decent set up to a FF versus Galactus movie up until it ended with Galactus chumpig out to the Surffer.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SirDan3k posted:

I thought it was a decent set up to a FF versus Galactus movie up until it ended with Galactus chumpig out to the Surffer.

If they want to make a Silver Surfer movie they do not even need the FF. They just do SILVER SURFER THE ULTIMATE COSMIC EXPERIENCE!!!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

SirDan3k posted:

I thought it was a decent set up to a FF versus Galactus A Cloud movie up until it ended with Galactus A Cloud chumpig out to the Surffer.

Man, gently caress that movie

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Opopanax posted:

Man, gently caress that movie

Also Doom takes off his mask IMMEDIATELY.

Wait, I think Doom uses the surfboard to make a tornado and literally says "It's time to go FOR A SPIN"?

Galactus is barely in the thing.

The only redeemable stuff in both movies was that the Johnny/Ben relationship was pretty good, even if it was one hell of a waste casting-wise to use Michael Chiklis if he doesn't get to play a guy who can murder you with a stare.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I thought Doug Jones with Larry Fishburne's voice was an alright Silver Surfer. Even cloud Galactus would've been alright had they just let him take the proper Galactus shape correctly at the end (and didn't go down in the most hilarious way).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I never bothered to go see it at the time and now I want to check it out to see if it's as bad as you guys say it is.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The really crazy thing is some of the explanations given for Cloud-lactus.

"Oh, well, maybe they didn't think an audience would take a huge guy trying to chew on Earth seriously..."

In the movie with a naked silver space-surfer.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I never bothered to go see it at the time and now I want to check it out to see if it's as bad as you guys say it is.

It's not like...aggressively awful. It's just incredibly lame and does everything it can to not do anything interesting.

It's kinda bad in the same way Green Lantern was, but with a layer of cheesiness on top of the boring superhero movie.

Also Johnny Storm gets this super lame power-stealing disease or something and at the end he's basically Super Skrull, but it's not awesome like that sounds like it would be?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Elfface posted:

The really crazy thing is some of the explanations given for Cloud-lactus.

"Oh, well, maybe they didn't think an audience would take a huge guy trying to chew on Earth seriously..."

In the movie with a naked silver space-surfer.

You know how a lot of things look better on the page?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The awfulness of Fantastic Four 2 isn't with the Galactus/Doom/Surfer stuff, it's just a standard lovely superhero film, but actually with the treatment of Jessica Alba who they "whitened" up for the role and was constantly berated by the director to look whiter and be more attractive when she was crying to the point that she basically retired from acting/public life till Rodriguez convinced her to do things again.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Hakkesshu posted:

I think you are.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Waterhaul posted:

The awfulness of Fantastic Four 2 isn't with the Galactus/Doom/Surfer stuff, it's just a standard lovely superhero film, but actually with the treatment of Jessica Alba who they "whitened" up for the role and was constantly berated by the director to look whiter and be more attractive when she was crying to the point that she basically retired from acting/public life till Rodriguez convinced her to do things again.

Who did they get John Byrne?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How does one act whiter?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

How can you tell Jessica Alba to be more attractive? I mean, I think she's already at the top of the attractiveness scale.

I hadn't heard that before. That's terrible.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

zoux posted:

How does one act whiter?

Make up, wigs, contacts.

Jessica Alba in Fantastic Four 1

and Fantastic Four 2

It's pretty disgusting.

Codependent Poster posted:

How can you tell Jessica Alba to be more attractive? I mean, I think she's already at the top of the attractiveness scale.

I hadn't heard that before. That's terrible.

quote:

The actress blames many of her underperforming movies on "first-time directors," though Fantastic Four helmer Tim Story bears the brunt of her ire; according to Alba, his direction during an emotional scene almost made her quit acting. "[He told me] 'It looks too real. It looks too painful. Can you be prettier when you cry? Cry pretty, Jessica.' He was like, 'Don't do that thing with your face. Just make it flat. We can CGI the tears in.'" Said the newly self-doubting Alba: "And then it all got me thinking: Am I not good enough? Are my instincts and my emotions not good enough? Do people hate them so much that they don't want me to be a person? Am I not allowed to be a person in my work? And so I just said, 'gently caress it. I don't care about this business anymore.'"

source

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

That is really strange seeing that the director is black.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I hadn't heard that before but that's awful.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, thats really terrible. Alba's casting in FF always seemed like the studio looked though Entertainment Weekly and saw an article about how she's a hot new star and cast her purely for that.

And what the films did with Doom is shameful. You take one of the most Iconic villains in comics and you completely ignore everything about what made him so popular. It would be like if someone made a remake of Star Wars and had Darth Vader being a wisecracking guy in a suit.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

twistedmentat posted:

It would be like if someone made a remake of Star Wars and had Darth Vader being a wisecracking guy in a suit.

"Obi-Wan never told you 'who's yo daddy', did he?"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I always said that Chris Tucker should play Darth Vader and act like he did in the Fifth Element.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

And what the films did with Doom is shameful. You take one of the most Iconic villains in comics and you completely ignore everything about what made him so popular. It would be like if someone made a remake of Star Wars and had Darth Vader being a wisecracking guy in a suit.

The one line I remember is "This... is gonna be fun!" because it's such a Jack Nicholson Joker-type of line, but doesn't fit Doom at all.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Metal Loaf posted:

The one line I remember is "This... is gonna be fun!" because it's such a Jack Nicholson Joker-type of line, but doesn't fit Doom at all.

DOOM does not use contractions or colloquialisms!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If we are talking about badly done villains in movies I will always put Tommy Lee Jones as Two Face on the top of my list. Two Face is supposed to be a character of angst and anger and internal turmoil. Instead Jones tried to do his best Joker interpretation and tried out-overact Jim Carey in a portrayal that made little sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

Make up, wigs, contacts.

Jessica Alba in Fantastic Four 1

and Fantastic Four 2

It's pretty disgusting.

source

I remember wondering if it was a different actress playing Sue because of how different she looked in 2. And also being amazed that she needed to look whiter considering she is transcendently beautiful.

• Locked thread