Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Next: Phantom/Judge Parker/Rex Morgan crossover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

GorfZaplen posted:

Emmy Lou

I've got some bad news for you, Emmy.
I love it when old comics have stuff like this.

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
You are a treasure to this thread.

Modesty Blaise

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/RiTPnHA.jpg :nws:

Oh Willie! :science:

Oh Willie! :ohdear:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

Holy poo poo.

Holy mother of gently caress, Prince Valiant was a total badass. I need to get some of the collections.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

DoubleDonut posted:

The Phantom already stole all of it. And random bandit here wasn't even going for most of the important historical stuff!

Edit: Also I'm bitter that the Phantom just told us a long story about how cool he is and is now going to erase everyone's memory so it doesn't matter anyway.

Now now, get it right.

The previous Phantoms stole all of it. He just inherited it so it's A-Ok!

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Kammat posted:

You are a treasure to this thread.

Modesty Blaise

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/RiTPnHA.jpg :nws:

Oh Willie! :science:

Oh Willie! :ohdear:

As are you, Kammat. Modesty and Willie are just so damned clever. :allears: This has been a great story so far. I can't help but have a bad feeling about Nauga, though. I hope she doesn't end up like poor Madge, O'Mara plays rough.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

RandomFerret posted:

Ballard Street

Holy poo poo, it's the dwarfs from Oglaf in raccoon suits!

All but that last link should be considered highly :nws: by the way.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Oh! Very well done.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Edminster posted:

Holy poo poo, it's the dwarfs from Oglaf in raccoon suits!

All but that last link should be considered highly :nws: by the way.

Thank you for reminding me how good Oglaf is. :haw:

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

What show is this? It looks familiar.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Just a case of slight indigestion, is all.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Mycroft Holmes posted:

What show is this? It looks familiar.

Ed Grimley, played by Martin Short way back on SCTV and Saturday Night Live. Although I think that may be the cartoon version since that rat was in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5VsIkoyAR4

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 22, 2014

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

The lever on the toaster is pulled down. There is still a slice of bread in the toaster.

Slylock Fox

It's clearly the giraffe. He's another Count Weirdly-wannabe mimicking his fashion sense. Classic copycat crime behavior but without the dungeon laboratory of horrors.

Moose and Molly

The Millers live in a one-room house with no walls or support beams apparently.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
The Raccoon is an idiot.
He clearly wasn't wearing his seat-belt that his bus may or may-not have had.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Raccoon did it, obviously.

The Statue of Liberty is on an island.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Oh, Brother

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Bitchtits McGee posted:

Jim's Journal

The old man is Jim from the future. :ssh: Normally, I'd just say "Season 3", but it's not a very well-explained point, if I'm honest.

Yeah, about that. What the heck is this "Season 3" stuff mean, anyhow? I mean, since when do newspaper comix have seasons?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Oh! Very well done.

I'm glad SOMEBODY in here had an adequate childhood.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

DoubleDonut posted:

Wait, so how exactly does The Phantom have the moral high ground here?

It's not like the guy gets a paycheck. He has to support his family AND his global crime fighting organization. That isn't cheap.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

To be fair he probably did get so engrossed in the video game he lost track of time. That's how they get you.

Retail

Could be they didn't see the trash can/it was full/they're germaphobic and don't want to touch it/they're assholes like everyone else in the Retail-Verse.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Geez and a real dog would be jumping on you and licking your face not giving you a lecture.

Dustin

I'll give Parker masochist props for actually drawing out the little details in those ads three times.

On the Fastrack

If you're driving so fast you fly off the road then that's where you'll end up. It's prescient.

Safe Havens

That doesn't apply to just MOOCs, that applies to every class, although I imagine MOOCs would be worse.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Midnight Moth posted:

Retail

Could be they didn't see the trash can/it was full/they're germaphobic and don't want to touch it/they're assholes like everyone else in the Retail-Verse.
Nah, the general public are just slobs. I used to work at an amusement park, and people would routinely leave their garbage within arm's reach of a trashcan. And these were open-top barrels that you didn't even have to touch if you were a germophobe. Sometimes they'd even manage to wedge their half-empty cup of soda down between two boards, which took more work than just throwing it away. The worst was the lemons from the lemonade stand which were ace at attracting bees and those goddamned Dippin' Dots cups. :mad:

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

You Are A Elf posted:

Ed Grimley, played by Martin Short way back on SCTV and Saturday Night Live. Although I think that may be the cartoon version since that rat was in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5VsIkoyAR4

Yeah its from the cartoon, figured the cartoon would work better for the comic strip.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

No, Tommy! Outside is where the drugs are!

Rex Morgan MD

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

Presto posted:

Nah, the general public are just slobs. I used to work at an amusement park, and people would routinely leave their garbage within arm's reach of a trashcan. And these were open-top barrels that you didn't even have to touch if you were a germophobe. Sometimes they'd even manage to wedge their half-empty cup of soda down between two boards, which took more work than just throwing it away. The worst was the lemons from the lemonade stand which were ace at attracting bees and those goddamned Dippin' Dots cups. :mad:

Same thing used to happen to me when I worked fast food jobs over the summer. I remember this one time this group of six or so teenagers came in and then left all their half-drunk coffees, cold fries, used napkins and empty wrappers in a literal pile in the middle of their table. They were also two feet away from the trashcan, which was next to the only exit of the restaurant. Yeah, I was going to have to wipe that table anyway, but it would've been nice to not have to touch your nasty leftovers.

Also, gently caress people who don't finish their drinks and then throw them in the trash anyway. That poo poo leaks. I had to work half a shift in a gross garbage-juice covered uniform once because one of the bags broke all over me.

Oh poo poo gotta say something about comics so this doesn't get derailed into more Retail talk. Uh. Oh boy Dustin is doing that "womenandtheirshopping.jpg" joke again. Also Gil is cute and I wish it was still running and Retail wasn't. Wait. gently caress.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
I can't tell if that's just an ugly throw pillow on the couch, or if Tommy is clenching his fist dramatically SO HARD that he's manifesting the Power Cosmic. I mean, it's a surprising amount of detail for Mary Worth, the comic that thinks all food looks like shapeless beige blobs on a white plate, and it would be awesome if he just started blasting Santa Royale with energy beams.

Also, I cannot for the life of me figure out what the gently caress is going on with the back of his jeans.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm glad SOMEBODY in here had an adequate childhood.

Other than the fact it's going to be stuck in my head till god knows when, absolutely love it.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
This guy is sulking because he got rejected by two places? Christ, try two dozen and that might start being more relevant to today.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

sweetguts posted:

Also Gil is cute and I wish it was still running and Retail wasn't. Wait. gently caress.

I agree here; while Retail generates a lot of discussion (or at least did before all the recurring "villains" besides boss guy were removed), Gil was definitely the better of the two and the ones I'd have argued to keep. It had charm and character; Retail is at best reminding people who've worked in retail how lovely retail is, and at worst the awful main characters being awful people and getting away with it because

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
The last interesting thing to happen in Retail was when Josh told Marla he was quitting and to shove it up her rear end back in January. It's all been downhill from there.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

Nice callback to the animated movies with that Hobbit art.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I'm totally willing to ignore that Heckbender's probably killed and ate hundreds of people because this scene is strangely adorable.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Trilobite posted:

I can't tell if that's just an ugly throw pillow on the couch, or if Tommy is clenching his fist dramatically SO HARD that he's manifesting the Power Cosmic. I mean, it's a surprising amount of detail for Mary Worth, the comic that thinks all food looks like shapeless beige blobs on a white plate, and it would be awesome if he just started blasting Santa Royale with energy beams.

Also, I cannot for the life of me figure out what the gently caress is going on with the back of his jeans.

Johnny, please edit kirby crackle into every Mary Worth strip from now on. Especially in scenes without any Fighting Comix.

Pooch Café

How would Poncho know his poster wasn't in full-colour? How would he know Hudson's was, for that matter? He's a dog.

Ballard Street

See, you read Ballard Street and you think "Man, that place looks so fun and whimsical, it's like everybody's a droopy geriatric Moomin", but they don't usually show you all the vicious, unprovoked beatings. They can happen anywhere, and you need to be ready to fight back, because you sure as hell can't run. Not on Ballard Street.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

~Invitation~
- I have no clothes for a fancy party!
- Don't fret... Just go buy some dark person's suit
- I would like to buy your suit

That's a Romani in case it wasn't clear.

The pun itself is yet another example of confusing an adjective (tumma, dark) with its nominalized form (tumma, dark person/thing).

I might also mention that tumma doesn't have quite the same connotations as the word dark: for one, it only refers to the color tone and not for example an absence of light or evil things. That said, using tumma to refer to Romani people falls somewhere in the "not really mean-spirited but certainly not politically correct either" spectrum of racism.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Midnight Moth posted:

This guy is sulking because he got rejected by two places? Christ, try two dozen and that might start being more relevant to today.

To be fair, it's really easy to get discouraged when you try something new and scary and get sub-optimal results.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy rings in '27 by breaking a resolution. (January 1, 1927)

Peanuts (March 25, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Just when you thought you'd seen every collision between broody "realism" and the strip's low comedy origins: BEDSIDE MANOR. :doh:

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo (March 24, 1956)

Out Our Way (August 27-28, 1924)

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Midnight Moth posted:

One place! He didn't want to apply to the other one because he got caught shoplifting there as a kid!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

tiistai posted:

I might also mention that tumma doesn't have quite the same connotations as the word dark: for one, it only refers to the color tone and not for example an absence of light or evil things. That said, using tumma to refer to Romani people falls somewhere in the "not really mean-spirited but certainly not politically correct either" spectrum of racism.

'Tumma' is a term used by Finnish Romanis of themselves, coming from Romani word 'kaalo', dark. Kaalo is also used as such. I don't think the majority population uses 'tumma' like ever, us 'valkolaiset' ('whiteys') tend to use the old term 'mustalainen' ('blackie') more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

This plane is adorable, its like someone strapped prop engines to an A-6.

• Locked thread