Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

zoux posted:

It's not the "Green Arrow universe" it's the DC universe, and basically they all crossover. Batman and Green Arrow were both in the JLA for example.

Oh, gotcha. Like the avengers crossover. JLA?

Burning_Monk posted:

FYI Deathstroke = Slade Wilson.

Whaat. In the comics only, right? I wonder why they're separate in the tv show.

Also, who's Grundy? I keep thinking of the Witch from Banjo-Kazooie.

Edit: JLA = Justice League Avengers of America, spoke too soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah it's like DC Avengers basically. Justice League of America.

Hang on, you fuckin with us?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

zoux posted:

Yeah it's like DC Avengers basically. Justice League of America.

Hang on, you fuckin with us?

No, I'm not. I legitimately have never read comics in my life. The closest I've been are Arrow, The Avengers, and the new batman and spiderman movies.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 21, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

bobkatt013 posted:

I just wonder if they are going to take him off the table at the end of the season, since they are not going to just have one huge enemy for Ollie.

Manu Bennett is killing the role so well that I really really hope they don't kill Slade at the end of the season. I hope they find some way to bring him back later one.

They did with Merlyn!

Ravane posted:

No, I'm not. I legitimately have never read comics in my life. The closest I've been are Arrow, The Avengers, and the new batman and spiderman.

This is actually adorable, so I'm going to let this go. I hope you continue enjoying Arrow with no preconceptions like the rest of us.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 21, 2014

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Ravane posted:

:shobon:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ravane posted:

:ughh:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

^^^: Let it go. It's not that big a deal.

Ravane posted:

Also, who's Grundy? I keep thinking of the Witch from Banjo-Kazooie.

Solomon Grundy is a DC villain. His name was referenced in the poem from the second Barry episode. Around here, we use the name to refer to Cyrus Gold, the Mirakuru guy that Oliver tangled with in the Barry mini-arc.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Some Numbers posted:

Solomon Grundy is a DC villain. His name was referenced in the poem from the second Barry episode. Around here, we use the name to refer to Cyrus Gold, the Mirakuru guy that Oliver tangled with in the Barry mini-arc.

Yeah, in the comics it looks more like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f14ZRoxz8Zs

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Some Numbers posted:

Cryus Gold, born on a Monday...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well on the off chance you aren't trolling the poo poo out of us:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRIuEVC3TWw&t=26s

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Edit: ^^^ Whoops. I didn't realize that he was supposed be Deathstroke in that moment. I thought he was just regular Slade.

Some Numbers posted:

Oh okay, Grundy is Cyrus Gold. I was thinking Deathstroke was Billy Wintergreen, who was also stabbed in the eye by Slade. Billy Wintergreen is hired by Amanda, the CIA lady, to kill Slade and he does so to get revenge (But he doesn't have the Mira Kuru so he loses). But now I'm thinking (because of everyone facepalming) that Slade is just Deathstroke in this show, and they're hiring him to kill himself?

Ravane fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 21, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ravane posted:

Oh okay, Grundy is Cyrus Gold. I was thinking Deathstroke was Billy Wintergreen, who was also stabbed in the eye by Slade. Billy Wintergreen is hired by Amanda, the CIA lady, to kill Slade and he does so to get revenge (But he doesn't have the Mira Kuru so he loses). But now I'm thinking (because of everyone facepalming) that Slade is just Deathstroke in this show, and they're hiring him to kill himself?

What?

Oliver went to Waller to get information on Slade Wilson. Waller reveals that Slade Wilson might be Deathstroke (which the audience already knows, see clip above), a mercenary whose activites they've been tracking. No one was looking to hire anybody.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ravane posted:

Edit: ^^^ Whoops. I didn't realize that he was supposed be Deathstroke in that moment. I thought he was just regular Slade.

You're overthinking this. Wintergreen may have been called Deathstroke on the island, I don't know.

Currently, Slade Wilson is a businessman of some sort. Currently, Deathstroke is the name ARGUS is applying to a mercenary that they've been tracking. The mercenary they're calling Deathstroke has the exact same outfit that Slade wears in the clip that was just posted.

Ergo...

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Just binge watched the show, and I have a question that relates to the comics:

Who is supposed to be green arrow's joker? Does he have an iconic nemesis that is *his*?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Your Personal Muse posted:

Just binge watched the show, and I have a question that relates to the comics:

Who is supposed to be green arrow's joker? Does he have an iconic nemesis that is *his*?

Merlyn

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Kibayasu posted:

What?

Oliver went to Waller to get information on Slade Wilson. Waller reveals that Slade Wilson might be Deathstroke (which the audience already knows, see clip above), a mercenary whose activites they've been tracking. No one was looking to hire anybody.

Oh, okay. I thought by "new player in town" she meant that Deathstroke was the best guy for the job of killing Slade.

Some Numbers posted:

You're overthinking this. Wintergreen may have been called Deathstroke on the island, I don't know.

Uh, I think I got confused because the Arrow wikia had Wintergreen listed as Deathstroke. http://arrow.wikia.com/wiki/Billy_Wintergreen

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, in the comics it looks more like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f14ZRoxz8Zs

Grundy took a tombstone out of his chest in the video... I'm assuming Mira Kuru has some different properties in the comics?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Grundy got his powers in the comics from a magic swamp.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ravane posted:

Oh, okay. I thought by "new player in town" she meant that Deathstroke was the best guy for the job of killing Slade.
I think that line meant "this might be who you're looking for."

quote:

Uh, I think I got confused because the Arrow wikia had Wintergreen listed as Deathstroke. http://arrow.wikia.com/wiki/Billy_Wintergreen
Oh. Well then.

quote:

Grundy took a tombstone out of his chest in the video... I'm assuming Mira Kuru has some different properties in the comics?
Mirakuru is an Arrow invention, I think. Comic Grundy was an immortal zombie with a lot of zombie trappings. And super strength.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Some Numbers posted:

Currently, Slade Wilson is a businessman of some sort. Currently, Deathstroke is the name ARGUS is applying to a mercenary that they've been tracking. The mercenary they're calling Deathstroke has the exact same outfit that Slade wears in the clip that was just posted.

Ergo...
Also the same outfit Slade (presumably) wears in the last episode when spying on Arrow after his foils the bank robbery (which I presume Slade set up in the first place to draw him out), and the features the mask through the eye of which (again, presumably) Ollie arrowed him.

e: although perhaps he wasn't wearing the mask at that particular point, as Waller knows he got arrowed through the eye but doesn't (apparently) recognize said mask.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
:bang:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Habibi posted:

Also the same outfit Slade (presumably) wears in the last episode when spying on Arrow after his foils the bank robbery (which I presume Slade set up in the first place to draw him out), and the features the mask through the eye of which (again, presumably) Ollie arrowed him.
Right, but if you didn't know that Slade was Deathstroke, that scene would have a very different impact.

quote:

e: although perhaps he wasn't wearing the mask at that particular point, as Waller knows he got arrowed through the eye but doesn't (apparently) recognize said mask.
Being that she's in charge of ARGUS and assumedly was in charge of Fyers, I find it hard to believe she doesn't know that the two ASUS agents on the island wore an orange and black version of a balaclava.

She also might not know that Slade got an arrow to the eye.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Right, but if you didn't know that Slade was Deathstroke, that scene would have a very different impact.

Well, not really. It's not like they built up Deathstroke. You would already know Slade was the one watching Ollie and everything, because we've seen the outfit before. That scene just gave him a name.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

But we do.

quote:

She also might not know that Slade got an arrow to the eye.
But she does.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Comics knowledge is probably more important to follow the thread than the show, because there's an equal balance of things that are totally different too.

But to sum up, Wintergreen is dead (and long enough before the Mirakuru to likely never come back) and the audience has seen Slade in his new Deathstroke suit (like killing all of Blood's flunkies) but Ollie hasn't yet.

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 21, 2014

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

jscolon2.0 posted:

Comics knowledge is probably more important to follow the thread than the show, because there's an equal balance if things that are totally different too.

But to sum up, Wintergreen is dead (and long enough before the Mirakuru to likely never come back) and the audience has seen Slade in his new Deathstroke suit (like killing all of Blood's flunkies) but Ollie hasn't yet.

Ollie had his mask with an arrow through the right eye on the island, and found it again (original or not) on the rooftop Slade was watching him from. I'm not familiar with the comic versions of either GA or Deathstroke, but I thought it was entirely reasonable to conclude that Ollie knows exactly who wears that outfit.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Yup. Didn't mean that Ollie doesn't obviously know who it is (he's not Officer Lance :downsgun:). Just saying that Ollie didn't before this know that Slade is active and in costume, as an honest-to-goodness supervillain versus just showed up to kill him for personal reasons.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

jscolon2.0 posted:

Yup. Didn't mean that Ollie doesn't obviously know who it is (he's not Officer Lance :downsgun:). Just saying that Ollie didn't before this know that Slade is active and in costume, as an honest-to-goodness supervillain versus just showed up to kill him for personal reasons.

Ah, okay. Yeah I would have to agree with that. I mean, until like a week ago he didn't even know Slade was still alive.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BreakAtmo posted:

What happened was that they got together, but broke up during the break between seasons because Diggle's obsession with Deadshot drove a wedge between them.

They probably just didn't want to bring the actress back to just to have the characters break up so Diggle could get with Lyla.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

jscolon2.0 posted:

Comics knowledge is probably more important to follow the thread than the show, because there's an equal balance if things that are totally different too.

Are we 100% sure Wintergreen is dead? Because they brought Sarah and Slade back to life, and The Count was cured of insanity before subsequently dying.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He's been gone way too long and his part has basically been filled by Slade. Originally he was just around to fill in the Slade part while they were deciding what to do with the character.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sara wasn't dead, Billy Wintergreen is dead. :colbert:

Also, The Count was clearly insane until his death

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Ravane posted:

Are we 100% sure Wintergreen is dead? Because they brought Sarah and Slade back to life, and The Count was cured of insanity before subsequently dying.

As the old saying about comics goes, "Nobody stays dead, except [character for whom this no longer true] and Uncle Ben."

But since Arrow the show is more grounded, there's a difference in magnitude between
1.) didn't actually die at all, was rescued by a ship at sea
2.) revived seconds after death by a miracle drug
&
3.) revived months later by a miracle drug

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

jscolon2.0 posted:

As the old saying about comics goes, "Nobody stays dead, except [character for whom this no longer true] and Uncle Ben."

But since Arrow the show is more grounded, there's a difference in magnitude between
1.) didn't actually die at all, was rescued by a ship at sea
2.) revived seconds after death by a miracle drug
&
3.) revived months later by a miracle drug

Nah, I don't mean Slade dying from his burns. I mean his death from Oliver putting an arrow into his eye. It's mentioned at the introduction of Cyrus Gold and when Oliver comes back from the island in the pilot and says he's the only survivor (though that was proven a lie later on). We know that Slade was strong enough to live through Mira Kuru without barbiturates, and strong enough to live with an arrow in his head with Mira Kuru.

But all we saw of Wintergreen was a brief clip of a knife through his eye.

The same eye that Slade lost.

I'm just saying, that's a bit of a coincidence.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Billy Wintergreen wasn't exactly much of a character though. I don't think he even had any lines.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I like arrow but holy poo poo, mirakuru is the word "miracle" pronounced with Japanese syllables. Just loving call it the "miracle drug" already! gently caress! I can't get over this.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ravane posted:

The same eye that Slade lost.

I'm just saying, that's a bit of a coincidence.

That was a misdirect. They had the guy looking and acting like the comic Deathstroke and had Slade stab him in the eye that the comic Deathstroke is missing.

But now, Slade is the actual Deathstroke, so Wintergreen is just a dead ASUS merc.

muscles like this? posted:

Billy Wintergreen wasn't exactly much of a character though. I don't think he even had any lines.

I think he had one line right before Slade killed him.

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)
Minus the drone stuff, that was a pretty fun episode of Arrow.

Edit: I liked the Diggle backstory and I liked Deadshot.

overtone fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 22, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
As far as Deathstroke as a GA villain, a few years ago DC set up Slade to be Ollie's new arch nemesis. It started in Identity Crisis where Ollie stabbed Slade in his bad eye with an arrow. Then after the One Year Later Judd Winnick used Slade as the big bad for the bulk of his run.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Some Numbers posted:

That was a misdirect. They had the guy looking and acting like the comic Deathstroke and had Slade stab him in the eye that the comic Deathstroke is missing.

But now, Slade is the actual Deathstroke, so Wintergreen is just a dead ASUS merc.

Oh. That makes sense. drat, I was hoping Wintergreen came back. I liked him.

Some Numbers posted:

I think he had one line right before Slade killed him.

"Slade! Come back to die?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

As far as Deathstroke as a GA villain, a few years ago DC set up Slade to be Ollie's new arch nemesis. It started in Identity Crisis where Ollie stabbed Slade in his bad eye with an arrow. Then after the One Year Later Judd Winnick used Slade as the big bad for the bulk of his run.

And then it was Cupid for some reason.

I hope the show stays away from her.

• Locked thread