Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Alchenar posted:

A US doctor can't authorise a Mexican pharmacist to release chemicals controlled by Mexican Law. That's the answer that explains hopefully also explains how the law works.

Here's what a 5 second google seach brought up: http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/tijuana/buying_prescription_medications_in_mexico.html

e: even shorter answer: yes this is a terrible illegal idea and gets you possibly locked up in Mexico

Thanks for that, I had seen that page and still didn't interpret it correctly because I was using the definition of controlled substance in my mind, instead of to mean "prescription only."

To those asking why I'd go to TJ, well, I've been once and missed an opportunity to grab and smoke a Cuban cigar. They're not too hard to get in the US, I've come to find, but TJ is still a drat sight better than Laredo or Juarez.

Oddhair fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My mother isn't in the best health. Her marriage to my stepfather is.... not great. The same can be said of my relationship with him.

She's about to go through surgery, but she's scared shitless that if something happens, my stepdad will swoop in and take everything (his family kind of has a history of that, and he's a little "special" in that he tries to get everyone in the world to pay for everything for him). Up until now I've always blown off the "he's going to take everything" mindset, but she's in her late 60s and about to undergo dual hip replacements (and has heart + diabetes issues on top of that).

She paid for about 80% of the family house with an inheritance from her father. Her only other asset is her car, which is long paid for. Stepdad has made it very clear that if something happens, the house is his, period.

Options? Texas, house was purchased for $180k (she put $150k toward it with her inheritance - current appraised value is about $230k). Her will doesn't mention stepdad at all (except for exclusions). House is 100% paid for. Sadly, given her general health, I'm pretty sure he'll outlive her, and he & I generally despise each other.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

some texas redneck posted:

house was purchased for $180k (she put $150k toward it with her inheritance ... House is 100% paid for.

I'm not sure of the law in TX and you definitely need to go to a TX attorney, but many jurisdictions will treat the entire house as marital property regardless of the 150k because the inheritance was commingled with marital assets.

As for the disposition of martial assets on death, it depends on both TX law and if your mother has a will. Your attorney will certainly want to know if one exists and, if possible, will want to read it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

My mother isn't in the best health. Her marriage to my stepfather is.... not great. The same can be said of my relationship with him.

She's about to go through surgery, but she's scared shitless that if something happens, my stepdad will swoop in and take everything (his family kind of has a history of that, and he's a little "special" in that he tries to get everyone in the world to pay for everything for him). Up until now I've always blown off the "he's going to take everything" mindset, but she's in her late 60s and about to undergo dual hip replacements (and has heart + diabetes issues on top of that).

She paid for about 80% of the family house with an inheritance from her father. Her only other asset is her car, which is long paid for. Stepdad has made it very clear that if something happens, the house is his, period.

Options? Texas, house was purchased for $180k (she put $150k toward it with her inheritance - current appraised value is about $230k). Her will doesn't mention stepdad at all (except for exclusions). House is 100% paid for. Sadly, given her general health, I'm pretty sure he'll outlive her, and he & I generally despise each other.

There are a handful of dependent facts, including the deed history and real estate transaction, but If the $150k of her inheritance is fairly easily traceable as paid towards of the purchase of the property, then that portion of the property will remain separate property, and not be considered part of the marital estate in probate court in Texas. The most important question is whether or not your mother's will needs to be updated or amended and if so, she needs to get one done, ASAP.

You definitely want a lawyer's opinion of the will and the real estate transaction, and also understand that whoever it names as executor will likely need to take the case to probate court if Stepdad isn't willing to divide the estate assets amicably. Depending on what City you are in, I can recommend someone for you.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

She's about to go through surgery, but she's scared shitless that if something happens, my stepdad will swoop in and take everything

That's the rub. Who's scared he'll take everything? If she's scared, then she needs her own lawyer.

It also might be a case of be careful what you wish for. If the stepdad is not named in her current will, and you prompt her to update the will... then guess what may very well happen?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

This is a question they'd ask you on a probate exam, right here.

Was the home bought during the marriage?

john ashpool
Jun 29, 2010
My employer wants all managers to ask all employees directly if they are in pain. I've already established that I have a wrist RSI. I'm worried they want to know who's in pain so they can fire people before they become truely dissabled Am I being paranoid? I know they can't discriminate against dissabled people, but I haven't gotten any major accommodations yet...so maybe I'm not legally disabled

john ashpool fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 13, 2016

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

john ashpool posted:

My employer wants all managers to ask all employees directly if they are in pain. I've already established that I have a wrist RSI. I'm worried they want to know who's in pain so they can fire people before they become truely dissabled Am I being paranoid? I know they can't discriminate against dissabled people, but I haven't gotten any major accommodations yet...so maybe I'm not legally disabled.

In Texas we don't have much in the way of employment law, and only one common law doctrine for wrongful termination, but whatever law goon can answer your questions will probably need to know:

- What state you're in
- whether you have an employment contract
- Whether your company pays into some sort of workmans compensation insurance
- Whether you have, and have signed an employee handbook
- Other things.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Employer related bullshit.

My old boss fired me and held my wages for property damages caused by me to his business. I am a beginning mechanic and was fixing a car his shop owns under his order and accidentally broke a (expensive) part which happens from time to time. Under Wisconsin Statue (103.455) it was illegal for him to do so and through the process I am supposed to follow, the state requested he pay me my last paycheck. He has until the 25 of this month to do so. Today I get a text from him (I have not spoken with him since he fired me) asking casually if i still want my last check. I responded that I was under the impression that he sends the check to the state and they forward it to me, but yes i still want it. He responds by saying hes suing me tomorrow and has no intention of sending my last check to anyone. So I responded by asking why did he bother asking me if i still wanted the check, and he replied, so i know to sue you. I will repeat that hes already ordered by the state to pay me.

A few questions.

1.Did I just fall for some crazy legal loophole where by responding that I want my check, I voided what the state ordered him to do.
2.What proof would he have to get for the court to rule that the damage caused was negligent or careless.
3.Do I have a hope in hell fighting this without a lawyer, and I know he has one.
4.Is small claims a drawn out process?

Thanks to any help and yes I know by answering you are not my lawyer or whatever legal stuff is involved with answering these questions if you are a lawyer.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 20, 2014

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

3.Do I have a hope in hell fighting this without a lawyer, and I know he has one.

There's way too many specifics in your questions for any of us to really answer, but we also don't have any idea what he'd be suing you for, which means we don't have an idea what law would control, etc.

If he actually sues you, and has a lawyer, you are probably going to want a lawyer yourself. It's also probably worth a call to whatever state agency you went through to explain what's happening - they may have some resources or, depending on their jurisdiction, might want to take him to court themselves.

That said, until he actually sues you, wouldn't worry.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe one big key point would be if you misrepresented your qualifications to him at any point. Saying you are ASE certified when you aren't, for example.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

john ashpool posted:

My employer wants all managers to ask all employees directly if they are in pain. I've already established that I have a wrist RSI. I'm worried they want to know who's in pain so they can fire people before they become truely dissabled Am I being paranoid? I know they can't discriminate against dissabled people, but I haven't gotten any major accommodations yet...so maybe I'm not legally disabled.

They should explain their curiosity before they deserve an answer. Maybe they want to know about things like RSI so they can improve working conditions or make accommodations. Such things do happen.

Kalman posted:

That said, until he actually sues you, wouldn't worry.

This^ Keep in mind that sending the check and suing you for damages are two different actions. Doing one doesn't preclude or necessitate the other. There's a good chance he'll send the check, talk to a lawyer, and then whine to his buddies. However... Guys who run repair shops tend to be familiar with small claims court. If he sues, that's the likely venue and he'll be hoping you don't show up to defend yourself.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Thanks to all!

I wasnt sure about going into specifics, He initially claimed i owe him 700 dollars to go back to work, in the end he said that the weeks check he owed me of 430 dollars would not cover the 530 plus some change dollars in damages. He factored not only the cost of the part but added labor to it. My last paycheck was 430 dollars and some change.

I from the beginning told him I am a novice trying to gain experience and actually took a pay cut from my last job to work for him as long as he taught me as sort of an unofficial apprenticeship. My job title and pay scale were both as a "lube tech"
I was also more or less a shop assistant (read bitch) and did pretty much all he asked of me sometimes while being insulted and cussed at for 10 bucks an hour. I was his only employee.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 20, 2014

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What state are you in.

(reminder to thread: the US is basically 50 different countries when it comes to laws most of you will deal with everyday.)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Preoptopus posted:

Under Wisconsin Statue (103.455)

I'm gonna guess Hawaii. :v:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ok I missed that.

I am going to impose thread local rules which dictate the form of all posts so that jurisdiction is addressed clearly in the first numbered paragraph.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

euphronius posted:

Ok I missed that.

I am going to impose thread local rules which dictate the form of all posts so that jurisdiction is addressed clearly in the first numbered paragraph.

Of course, jurisdiction is always admiralty, so it's not actually a useful LR.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

Thanks to all!

I wasnt sure about going into specifics, He initially claimed i owe him 700 dollars to go back to work, in the end he said that the weeks check he owed me of 430 dollars would not cover the 530 plus some change dollars in damages. He factored not only the cost of the part but added labor to it. My last paycheck was 430 dollars and some change.

I from the beginning told him I am a novice trying to gain experience and actually took a pay cut from my last job to work for him as long as he taught me as sort of an unofficial apprenticeship. My job title and pay scale were both as a "lube tech"
I was also more or less a shop assistant (read bitch) and did pretty much all he asked of me sometimes while being insulted and cussed at for 10 bucks an hour. I was his only employee.

Honestly, if he sues you over 530 dollars, I doubt he has a lawyer.

You're probably getting screwed out of 430 bucks, but the time investment you would put into this pro se would probably exceed that money. I know 430 can be a very large amount of money, and there is the principle of the matter, but my opinion is that it's best to let it go, see what the state does, and not worry about hpthe rear end in a top hat using you over that amount of money.

If you do want legal counsel, I suggest you contact your local Wisconsin legal aid office. Some of them handle employment law. They may be able to give you better advice than we can.

Good luck!

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

So, let's say that someone in California orders an expensive cell phone from Verizon and signs up for a plan to go with it. Their package is delivered and they sign for it, seeing nothing wrong with the package from the outside. They open it up and find an empty box with no phone.

When they called to report it to Verizon, they were told to take it up with Fed Ex and that in the meantime they still owed Verizon for everything. The person wants to cancel their plan until the matter is resolved, since they can't use it until they have a phone, but Verizon wants to either start billing them immediately or charge an early termination fee. They say they will send the matter to collections if they don't receive payment for the bill/cancellation. I'm a little unclear on whether they have already paid for the phone or not. I would guess that they paid for the phone when ordering it online, but the way the hypothetical was worded it was a little vague. Either way, Verizon is now putting them on the hook for enough money that they can't really afford to just eat the cost.

What is the person's best course of action going forward? The obvious first step is to call Fed Ex and try to get them to set up a case and investigate it. The person has already filed a police report for the missing phone. Is there anything else they can do in the meantime?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Lowly posted:

So, let's say that someone in California orders an expensive cell phone from Verizon and signs up for a plan to go with it. Their package is delivered and they sign for it, seeing nothing wrong with the package from the outside. They open it up and find an empty box with no phone.

When they called to report it to Verizon, they were told to take it up with Fed Ex and that in the meantime they still owed Verizon for everything. The person wants to cancel their plan until the matter is resolved, since they can't use it until they have a phone, but Verizon wants to either start billing them immediately or charge an early termination fee. They say they will send the matter to collections if they don't receive payment for the bill/cancellation. I'm a little unclear on whether they have already paid for the phone or not. I would guess that they paid for the phone when ordering it online, but the way the hypothetical was worded it was a little vague. Either way, Verizon is now putting them on the hook for enough money that they can't really afford to just eat the cost.

What is the person's best course of action going forward? The obvious first step is to call Fed Ex and try to get them to set up a case and investigate it. The person has already filed a police report for the missing phone. Is there anything else they can do in the meantime?

IANAL, but I would suggest said person should get back on the phone with Verizon, and start very nicely and politely asking for supervisors until they reach someone who can help them.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Lowly posted:

1) Verizon's contract, (or terms of service, online) will say what jurisdiction's law's will apply. (debate about Burger King, incoming!)

2) Not that I think it matters, but was the brown fed-ex box empty, or like the fancy box the phone is supposed to be in empty?

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Kalman posted:

Of course, jurisdiction is always admiralty, so it's not actually a useful LR.

Indeed, and the choice of law is "Freeman on the land."

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Oh my god, did anyone see the sovereign citizen on Judge Judy yesterday? He kept saying things like "natural born" and quoting some bit of obscure code that apparently made him an attorney-at-will or something. Judge Judy tore him a new one because he makes his money giving legal advice without a law license.

And everyone on that episode looked like Yiddish farmers.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Lowly posted:

If the buyer used a credit card to pay, he should contact their customer service and ask to initiate a chargeback. I had to do that with AT&T over a fraudulent purchase on my account, and the Wells Fargo guy was extremely happy to initiate a chargeback.

Otherwise, keep bugging Verizon and FedEx until one of them fixes it.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

fork bomb posted:

Oh my god, did anyone see the sovereign citizen on Judge Judy yesterday? He kept saying things like "natural born" and quoting some bit of obscure code that apparently made him an attorney-at-will or something. Judge Judy tore him a new one because he makes his money giving legal advice without a law license.

And everyone on that episode looked like Yiddish farmers.

Don't take this the wrong way but are you a lawyer? I love the thought of lawyers watching judge Judy on their lunch break or something.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I watch Judge Judy when I need to feel better about my day. Plus, Judge Judy's got it made -- she makes like $40 million a year or something and I bet she doesn't have billable hours. I would yell at dummies for much, much less.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

jassi007 posted:

Don't take this the wrong way but are you a lawyer? I love the thought of lawyers watching judge Judy on their lunch break or something.

"Research."

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

jassi007 posted:

IANAL but if I woke up tomorrow as one you bet your rear end I'd still watch the Jude.

quickly
Mar 7, 2012
I hope this hasn't been asked before, but I can't find a relevant post in this thread. I received a "Notice of Action under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act" from Comcast recently, alleging that someone at my IP address downloaded an episode of a TV show. Someone in my household contacted Comcast and asked what this means; they apparently said it was a "friendly reminder," and that a copyright holder had notified them of copyright infringement. I looked over different computers, but couldn't find the infringing file, and secured a guest wireless account that I didn't know existed. It's difficult to find accurate information about these notices. Should I take the letter as a warning, or should I contact a lawyer and prepare for subsequent legal action? How do these situations usually play out?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

jassi007 posted:

I watch judge Mathis.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

quickly posted:

I hope this hasn't been asked before, but I can't find a relevant post in this thread. I received a "Notice of Action under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act" from Comcast recently, alleging that someone at my IP address downloaded an episode of a TV show. Someone in my household contacted Comcast and asked what this means; they apparently said it was a "friendly reminder," and that a copyright holder had notified them of copyright infringement. I looked over different computers, but couldn't find the infringing file, and secured a guest wireless account that I didn't know existed. It's difficult to find accurate information about these notices. Should I take the letter as a warning, or should I contact a lawyer and prepare for subsequent legal action? How do these situations usually play out?

This isn't a legal answer at all, but content creators have largely stopped suing small time infringers, the new strategy is convincing cable companies to disconnect repeat offenders. If you've got an open wireless network you should close it up and tell your roommates to stop seeding torrents.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

quickly posted:

IANAL but I do work for an ISP. We go with a 4 strikes policy, letter, letter, phone call, supervisor phone call, if it doesn't stop then 5th incident is disconnect. Smack your wife, kids, roommates, change your router password, turn off the guest account, you'll be fine. Keep in mind if one of the computers on your network has the file on it, you have to go remove it from whatever torrent software to get it to stop seeding.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I need advice on picking a traffic lawyer in CA for a speeding ticket (allegedly >100 mph on highway). What's the best way to look for one?

VVV I was reading the sticky thread in AI and they claimed that one could plea down to avoid the ticket ever being displayed to my insurance and not get any points on my license. I realize I will still need to pay a fee. I'll need to do further research.

pokie fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 21, 2014

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

pokie posted:

I need advice on picking a traffic lawyer in CA for a speeding ticket (allegedly >100 mph on highway). What's the best way to look for one?

Be careful. My understanding is that usually a traffic lawyer just helps people plead down their fine, or ask for deferred or something else. If whoever you talk to is promising to "make the ticket go away", they're probably exaggerating.

That said, Google works pretty well. The CA State Bar website has more information, here: http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Public/LawyerReferralServicesLRS.aspx

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

jassi007 posted:

IAAL Judges Judy and Mathis are great fun to watch. The parties spew all sorts of weird poo poo at the judge and the judge, as often happens, draws them out a little and checks out any evidence. Then the judge applies text book legal reasoning and the law to the situation. It's often an amazing demonstration of issue spotting followed by a detailed understanding of the law.

For me it's an active spectating thing because I'm always trying to guess what the judge will do.

blarzgh posted:

Be careful. My understanding is that usually a traffic lawyer just helps people plead down their fine, or ask for deferred or something else. If whoever you talk to is promising to "make the ticket go away", they're probably exaggerating.

That said, Google works pretty well. The CA State Bar website has more information, here: http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Public/LawyerReferralServicesLRS.aspx

Pleading the charge down is not a bad thing. Next time I get a traffic ticket I will engage a specialist. One reason is to get the charge reduced or dismissed. The other is to see how that particular game is played. However, I haven't been issued a ticket since passing the bar.

patentmagus fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 21, 2014

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

pokie posted:

I was reading the sticky thread in AI and they claimed that one could plea down to avoid the ticket ever being displayed to my insurance and not get any points on my license. I realize I will still need to pay a fee. I'll need to do further research.

The speed is the kicker for you. It all depends on your record and the local practices, but I would lower your expectations for a best case scenario.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

1) Verizon's contract, (or terms of service, online) will say what jurisdiction's law's will apply. (debate about Burger King, incoming!)

2) Not that I think it matters, but was the brown fed-ex box empty, or like the fancy box the phone is supposed to be in empty?

Number 2 is pretty important. Also, were there any notes in the box about Fedex having to reseal it, or multiple pieces of shipping tape on the top versus the bottom?

I would love if Judy, Mathis, and Judge Joe Brown were the next American Idol judges. I would watch it.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Cowslips Warren posted:

I would love if Judy, Mathis, and Judge Joe Brown were the next American Idol judges. I would watch it.

Judge Judy is one of Rupaul's favorite, favorite people. I'm still hoping for Judge Judy to guest judge on Drag Race.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Judge Judy drives me crazy by her scattershot application of hearsay, though. She gets super cranky any time she's presented with an out-of-court statement (usually even if it might not be offered for the truth of the matter asserted). If parties even try, she shouts them down on hearsay.

But then she's almost always willing to read police reports. That really grinds my gears for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Turns out, Judge Judy and the like are actually binding arbitrations. I had always wondered.

Fun fact:

2. The people are real -- but they don't have to pay.

In general, "Judge Judy" and other TV judge shows handle cases that would otherwise be heard in small-claims court. That limits the amount of money at issue in a dispute; for "Judge Judy" litigants, the maximum award is $5,000, according to eHow.com.

Regardless of the outcomes on "Judge Judy," both parties to a case emerge as winners. That's because the show pays for the arbitration award, along with the litigants' airfare and hotel expenses. For most "Judge Judy" litigants, that adds up to a free trip to Los Angeles.

http://blogs.findlaw.com/celebrity_justice/2012/01/is-judge-judy-a-real-court-top-3-secrets-of-tv-judge-shows.html

although, the dude cites to an ehow.com article, so take it for what its worth.