Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Ahhh ok. We don't go in for that sort of thing very often up here in Minnesota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby
I think they're probably concrete tiles which aren't nailed in, just laid out. The weight is fine to keep them down.

But, yeah, some rebar in the column would've helped.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

MisterOblivious posted:

Ahhh ok. We don't go in for that sort of thing very often up here in Minnesota.

Yeah, snow loading and thunderstorms laugh at any roofing that isn't nailed down.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I've been seeing this list of "extremely awesome" things to do with your house floating around FB:

http://www.viralnova.com/simple-home-ideas/

How many code violations are there in #1?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don't think having an outlet in a drawer in and of itself is a violation, provided it's done properly. To wit: I have a commercially-made nightstand that I am sure is UL listed and all that that has an outlet in the drawer. It's super handy for charging my phone at night.

That being said, I am absolutely certain that 99.9% of the people that duplicate that pic will create a fantastic fire hazard.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

This list seems to contain a lot of ideas that are in fact a magnificent amount of effort for anyone who has to become aware of them on facebook, and also quite a few that are just "use a design element according to its intent."

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That site is a viral clickbait bullshit site designed solely to make advertising money while making GBS threads up my newsfeed. It is, in fact, designed to get unimaginative people who spend all day clicking like/share on facebook to like/share the poo poo out of it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I love "take advantage of the wasted space between studs by installing drawers in the wall". Perfect for all those walls in your home that are 18 inches thick

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I love "make your fake drawers useful by doing these various things to them." Or, you know, put in real drawers in the first place.

e: what the hell is this?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Slugworth posted:

I love "take advantage of the wasted space between studs by installing drawers in the wall". Perfect for all those walls in your home that are 18 inches thick

Yeah I also like "install a deep cut into the entire length of your long hallway. This definitely won't cut into the rooms on the other side of that wall, nor will it interfere with structural beams and supports that run through that wall."

A third of the items are "buy a product and use it as intended." A bunch more are "use up general storage space by installing highly use-specific storage space instead." Several are "do a ludicrously expensive thing to get a minor increase in storage space."

Sagebrush posted:

I love "make your fake drawers useful by doing these various things to them." Or, you know, put in real drawers in the first place.

Usually fake drawers are put there because there's something behind the cabinet face using that space, like a sink. Putting in something that only goes back a couple inches might actually be a cool thing to do, but I look at a lot of those and think "that's going to get full of splatters and kitchen scraps and then be difficult or (with an electrical outlet) dangerous to clean.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I liked "install a platform on rollers under your bathroom sink so your already uncoordinated-as-poo poo kid can break an arm in a whole new way."

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Phanatic posted:

I've been seeing this list of "extremely awesome" things to do with your house floating around FB:

http://www.viralnova.com/simple-home-ideas/

How many code violations are there in #1?
The main issue is that most wires aren't rated for repeated movement like that. Something like the cable management arm in the back of a rackmount server that guides the power cable along a predictable path would probably be fine, but I'd otherwise be worried about torsion tearing the jacket right off the cable over a couple of years.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Usually fake drawers are put there because there's something behind the cabinet face using that space, like a sink. Putting in something that only goes back a couple inches might actually be a cool thing to do, but I look at a lot of those and think "that's going to get full of splatters and kitchen scraps and then be difficult or (with an electrical outlet) dangerous to clean.

Eh, my parents' house had a drawer like that running the length of the two sinks. Instead of pulling out, it was hinged and folded out to 45 degrees. It was pretty useful for storing kitchen gloves, the sink stoppers, steel wool, etc...

EDIT:

Misogynist posted:

The main issue is that most wires aren't rated for repeated movement like that. Something like the cable management arm in the back of a rackmount server that guides the power cable along a predictable path would probably be fine, but I'd otherwise be worried about torsion tearing the jacket right off the cable over a couple of years.

Standard power cables are better at handling repeated movement, but you'd still have to majorly strain relief it, and I'm not sure what sort of code that you be breaking to run it to a junction box.

Besides, the whole thing seems to be made for charging phones, so it would be way better to install USB jacks directly. You can keep the AC-5V USB mounted elsewhere, and just run the USB cables to the drawer. Safer and easier IMO

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 24, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Misogynist posted:

I could see having a normal outlet behind the cabinets (or maybe a spare socket on the one that drives your dishwasher or garbage disposal or whatever), and then running some extension cords to the backs of the drawers. The extension cords would probably wear out eventually, but that's trivial to replace. You also wouldn't have a traditional outlet faceplate, but that doesn't strike me as a huge concern.

Kitten Head Ridge
Apr 3, 2009

It is surprising how much space is needed to 'swing a cat'!

Sagebrush posted:

e: what the hell is this?

I'm pretty certain that the idea behind this is that each person in a household has their own tab so that certain germs and such are not spread to all of the people in the household. I think it's pretty stupid considering that it's probably a nuisance to clean which sort of defeats the purpose of this seat. Also, what do you do when you have several people over for company? Are they expected to share a tab with each other?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I can imagine a set of different-sized seats for kids being vaguely useful, like nesting cups or something. Better than those huge plastic things you fit over the top of the toilet. Probably cost a fortune though.

fake edit: no, it's just for obsessive germaphobes, of course. http://www.yankodesign.com/2007/04/09/toilet-pages-by-jan-ctvrtnik/

real edit: actually that whole site is a treasure trove of terrible design ideas, like the biodegradable car, or the iPhone ring, or the combination door knob and coat hook.

Wolfsbane fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 24, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

http://www.yankodesign.com/ posted:

Toilet Pages by Jan Ctvrtnik
Toilet Pages is a reaction to the problem with wet and dirty toilet seats. Everyone is familiar with this situation. You are on the school or work simply public toilet, and the toilet seat is wet or dirty. You don’t want to sit on it! You don’t want to touch it! But you have to. The Toilet Pages solve and comment this situation. Why use public seat when you can have your own Toilet Pages on the pictures were made for family use but could be easily modified for places, where the small groups of people use the toilet repeatedly. Every person could have own personal toilet seat.

http://homebodydecorates.blogspot.com/ posted:

It was a prototype done by an Italian designer by the name of Jan Ctvrtnik, and was a prototype made sometime in 2006. I'm saddened that this has not hit the market shelves yet.

Some ideas are great other are lunacy.
http://www.home-designing.com/2009/09/bathrooms-of-the-future

edit life hack:

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 24, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I just wipe the drat seat before I sit down. Serves two purposes, it means I don't sit on anything and it also means I'm forced to check if there are any poo poo tickets left on the roll.

I think that's what people call a lifehack these days.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
I would personally buy the poo poo out of that Fit system, it looks pretty awesome. If you lived out in BFE or the highest penthouse for a few blocks that plant shower could be great too.

The swiveling urinal/self-cleaning toilet seems like it's only really suited for corporate restrooms or places like that. Although, god help you if time has suddenly become a factor and that thing is mid-cycle.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Those heat sensitive tiles in the shower look pretty drat cool. If I had nothing better to spend the money on, I'd get my shower tiled up with them :shobon:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kilersquirrel posted:

The swiveling urinal/self-cleaning toilet seems like it's only really suited for corporate restrooms or places like that. Although, god help you if time has suddenly become a factor and that thing is mid-cycle.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

The Etsy blogs are a great place to find wonderful ideas that are actually really terrible. One article had instructions for a home made soda machine that suggested you save money and get your parts from the local hardware store- including all the hoses and fittings that would be in direct contact with the liquids.

Another invited people to melt lip balm into antique tins for cute storage. Any antique tin. Thankfully it wasn't a total hugbox and a bunch of posters gave warnings about contamination from the potential super cute "Uncle McGillicuddy's Extra-Easy Brazing Paste" tin from grandpas tool drawer.

Edit: Or "Aunt Curie's Luminizing Radium Salve"

Tasty_Crayon fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 24, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tasty_Crayon posted:

The Etsy blogs are a great place to find wonderful ideas that are actually really terrible. One article had instructions for a home made soda machine that suggested you save money and get your parts from the local hardware store- including all the hoses and fittings that would be in direct contact with the liquids.

Maybe I'm missing something but what is the problem with this, exactly? As long as you ensure you get food-grade hardware there's no problem. Even regular ABS water pipe should be fine, for that matter. If it's safe to drink water from the tap, and you're using all plastic hardware so that acidic sodas wouldn't leach out metals, I don't see what's so bad about using general purpose plumbing hardware.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Sagebrush posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but what is the problem with this, exactly? As long as you ensure you get food-grade hardware there's no problem. Even regular ABS water pipe should be fine, for that matter. If it's safe to drink water from the tap, and you're using all plastic hardware so that acidic sodas wouldn't leach out metals, I don't see what's so bad about using general purpose plumbing hardware.

They didn't advocate getting food safe anything.

https://blog.etsy.com/en/2011/how-tuesday-build-your-own-seltzer-maker/

Tasty_Crayon fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 24, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Another invited people to melt lip balm into antique tins for cute storage. Any antique tin. Thankfully it wasn't a total hugbox and a bunch of posters gave warnings about contamination from the potential super cute "Uncle McGillicuddy's Extra-Easy Brazing Paste" tin from grandpas tool drawer.

Edit: Or "Aunt Curie's Luminizing Radium Salve"

Reminds me of some post on imgur where someone bought a few dozen decorative bottles with corks from Michaels to look like "health potion" bottles from video games.
They then spent an afternoon transferring every liquid in their bathroom and kitchen into their new potion bottles.

Fortunately, all the commentors jumped on the OP and begged them to not eat or drink anything that had been in those bottles, as they could leach unwanted chemical and material into the food. OP listened.

Spend the extra bucks and get food-safe items, folks.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

What is "food safe"? Non-toxic materials? All of the plumbing items are already designed and sold with the sole purpose of running drinking water throughout your home. You're making a big deal out of nothing.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Tasty_Crayon posted:

They didn't advocate getting food safe anything.

While they don't advocate food safe anything, the only thing that seems sketchy to me (for personal use) is the schrader valve.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nitrox posted:

What is "food safe"? Non-toxic materials? All of the plumbing items are already designed and sold with the sole purpose of running drinking water throughout your home. You're making a big deal out of nothing.

Food safe materials are those which have been approved for direct contact with food by the FDA. Not all plastics are created equal, and MANY (the vast majority) can and will leach chemicals you don't want into your food. And if you live in California, they will all be known carcinogens.

In the case of that seltzer water, it's probably fine because it looks like the only place non-food-safe materials are being used are for the air transfer. But I think in pretty much any "how to" guide involving things you're going to eat, a nice little "REMEMBER TO USE FOOD-SAFE MATERIALS" would do well.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 25, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Food safe materials are those which have been approved for direct contact with food by the FDA. Not all plastics are created equal, and MANY (the vast majority) can and will leach chemicals you don't want into your food.

Yeah but exactly how many of these plastics that leach ~chemicals~ into your water do you think you're going to find in the plumbing aisle at Home Depot? 99% of the intended uses of the pipes they sell are to put water on or in human bodies. They'd be opening themselves up to huge lawsuits if they sold stuff they knew wasn't safe for tap water, even if they labeled the crap out of it.

Bad Munki posted:

And if you live in California, they will all be known carcinogens.

I've concluded from all those prop 65 warnings that the State of California is known to the State of California to be a carcinogen.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah but exactly how many of these plastics that leach ~chemicals~ into your water do you think you're going to find in the plumbing aisle at Home Depot? 99% of the intended uses of the pipes they sell are to put water on or in human bodies. They'd be opening themselves up to huge lawsuits if they sold stuff they knew wasn't safe for tap water, even if they labeled the crap out of it.

I've concluded from all those prop 65 warnings that the State of California is known to the State of California to be a carcinogen.

Bottom line is that anything that causes cell damage is a potential carcinogen, and it turns out cells are ~fragile~. Those "known to be a carcinogen" labels really ought to be reserved for things where your risk of cancer is actually measurably increased by interacting with the stuff in a normal manner. Nobody cares if you increase your cancer risk by 5% by bathing in food coloring or whatever.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Go compare how much lead you can leach out of contaminated brass with plain old pH=7 tap water that contacts a chinese brass pipe fitting for 30 seconds at room temp vs the same fitting storing vinegar for a month please.

It's a very different number, I'll just tell you right now.

This may seem contrived, but the same thing holds for, say, a tin can that was intended to store things not for human consumption, that is now storing an acidic product to be eaten, or, say, certain plastics that some well meaning person then uses to store alcoholic beverages or cooking oil.

Chemistry is full of tricks and most of them can gently caress you over if you ignore them.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004

The steam bath would give a new twist on the lovely-go-round, I think it would give more of a hot poo poo waterfall result than anything.

...Perhaps certain German movies might be a better target market for them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Quite a lot, actually. Plumbing is hardly 99% fresh water. There are a lot of things that are used for waste water, gas, liquid fuel (think oil), and condensate drains that are absolutely not food safe.

And the original suggestion was "hardware store", which is often going to have even more hose-like things that are for non-potable water (garden hoses) and things like bulk vacuum line for vehicle applications.

Most of these things would be maybe probably be pretty much fine if they were washed out and not used with hot liquids, but really.....it's not worth the risk considering it's not difficult to find appropriate materials (beverage line is cheap, pex is even cheaper).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sagebrush posted:

I was more referring to the idea of using your local auto supply as a place for parts that will be used with food. Someone mentioned that, and it's a bad idea.

Like, I've seen "bar monkey automatic drink dispenser!" using windshield wiper fluid pumps. Those things leak oil and poo poo all over like mad, I would not want to eat anything that went near them.

And yeah, like kastein said, food products != water.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 25, 2014

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I love how about a quarter of the "Relatively Simple Home Ideas" floating around pinterest and facebook involve major structural alterations or designing the house from the beginning to take them into account. Also love the, "simple things to do with your 6700 square foot mansion" articles that always find their way to my inbox.

-Create a library in that 30x40' room that's everyone inexplicably has vacant in their home
-Have your pool table rise out of the floor
-Secret passageways everywhere!
-Turn the 128 square feet of wasted space under your staircase into a breakfast nook
-Install a king sized bed under the bay window in your shoe closet
-Paint everything in your house white, everything! Buy white furniture and carpet as well, see how long before it all turns "off white".
-Make all of your wooden furniture look like poo poo by trying to paint it like they did on pinterest
-Have a 72" x 84" section of the master bedroom recessed 12" so your bed fits flush in the floor.
-Do without shower curtains by having a double-corner hallway in your shower
-Design a full 75% of your home's electrical needs to take into account you own two devices that cane be charged using a USB.
-Ignore the fact that massively compartmentalizing your cupboards actually reduces storage space.
-Lets make lights out of moderately-highly flammable items.
-Spray paint then lightly sand and distress everything your own to make it look antique

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

kastein posted:

Go compare how much lead you can leach out of contaminated brass with plain old pH=7 tap water that contacts a chinese brass pipe fitting for 30 seconds at room temp vs the same fitting storing vinegar for a month please.

It's a very different number, I'll just tell you right now.

This may seem contrived, but the same thing holds for, say, a tin can that was intended to store things not for human consumption, that is now storing an acidic product to be eaten, or, say, certain plastics that some well meaning person then uses to store alcoholic beverages or cooking oil.

This is why I specified "don't use metal fittings." I'm well aware of what acids to do metal alloys.

I assumed that "go to the hardware store for plumbing" implied "and get it from the section used for potable water" but I guess assuming the average Etsy user has any idea of what's what in a hardware store is going too far.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Blistex posted:

-Spray paint then lightly sand and distress everything your own to make it look antique
Knew a girl with a beautiful antique dresser who wanted to do this. It's already distressed.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I assumed that "go to the hardware store for plumbing" implied "and get it from the section used for potable water" but I guess assuming the average Etsy user has any idea of what's what in a hardware store is going too far.

It seems to me the average etsy user is a bored housewife that shouldn't be allowed to operate a hot glue gun unsupervised.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
At least we had Regretsy for a while for some good old-fashioned schadenfreude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Slanderer posted:

Eh, my parents' house had a drawer like that running the length of the two sinks. Instead of pulling out, it was hinged and folded out to 45 degrees. It was pretty useful for storing kitchen gloves, the sink stoppers, steel wool, etc...

My grandpa had what he called a "cabin" (read: 5 bedroom 4 bath 3 car garage quad-level house with a dumb waiter between the garage and 3rd level kitchen) in the middle of Nowhere, NM (a bit outside of Ruidoso).

In the master "bathroom" (which was about half the size of the house I live in), there were outlets behind the drawers. Not easily accessible; you'd have to pull the drawer out, then plug in your hair dryer collection, then put the drawer back in. The outlets were actually labeled as "hairdryer", making it all the more :cripes:

Same house had a phone next to every toilet, and steam shower equipment buried in the crawl space (which regularly popped a GFCI.. also in the crawl space).

Early 80s, middle of BFE, nuff said. Probably lucky it had a single GFCI in the entire house.

I gotta say though, being able to grunt out a log or five while talking on the (incredibly staticy) phone was kinda neat. :frogout: Waking up to bears wandering around the deck was kinda cool too.