Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

justlysarcastic posted:

We're being audited right now, and while the emails aren't things they actually check, a coworker made the mistake of saying the wrong thing to an auditor so now they're trying to catch us on not knowing policy.

Never let yourself get dinged for not knowing policy. "I'm not 100% positive about the answer to your question. I'm new here. Let's go ask my supervisor."

If "ask your supervisor" isn't already policy* you should get together with your supervisor and talk about it. Explain that you may ask questions that you might mostly know or ones that seem dumb but you're doing it so your department's audit results are positive and show continuing improvement when compared to the last audit.

*It really, really should be. Having a default "escalate to the next person up the ladder until somebody knows the answer" policy is great CYA for everybody involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
It finally happened to me. Everytime I've seen the story, I chalk it up as another "users can't possibly be that stupid" tall tale like the cd tray breaking off from being used as a cupholder.

I'm sitting at another user's desk getting the standard loadout of post-Win7 upgrade software/drivers installed and about to go through my spiel about how PDFMaker from Acrobat X isn't going to work in Office 2013, when another user from up the cubicle row comes up and tells me that he's missing emails that he was storing in his Deleted Items folder in Outlook.

The worst part is that the files he was looking for are actually still there, he just needed to click the "Get More From Exchange" link at the bottom of the list...

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 21, 2014

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I submitted a request for remote desktop access to a workstation in my office, specifying that I wanted to remote in so I didn't have to stand up. Response: "I can set a GPO or you can enable it yourself." I picked the GPO, waited 15 minutes, and now I'm remoted in.

I am lazy as gently caress.

Naksu posted:

I took these pictures today. One of the Vectras has a note saying "OK 12.2.2004." I would like to know what part of a Pentium 166mhz was "ok" in 2004.

:fuckoff:
I found one of those old Vectras with a Pentium MX 166MHz a few weeks ago. Between the processor, motherboard, and RAM, it was worth about $15 in scrap. The 486SX chip alone has around $20 worth of gold in it.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I posted this years back in the last thread, but it is worth repeating. Lum's method to explain to users why storing in Deleted Items is a bad idea.

Disclaimer, you have to be on pretty good terms with the person to pull this one off. I am not responsible if you get fired for doing this.

Step 1, grab the wastepaper basket, ensure that it is clean and empty
Step 2, grab random important looking paperwork from the user's desk, put in basket, put basket back in it's usual location
Step 3, declare loudly "Oh hey I'm Joe Fucknugget, and this bin is where I keep my important paperwork; I wonder what will happen to it tonight?"

At this point, the user will probably throw a fit, "You can't put that there, the cleaner will empty that tonight and I'll lost it"

To which you respond, "And where did you store your important email again?"

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

SolTerrasa posted:

As an owner of a bottle of this, you're right. If you manage to get enough cash for your old toner, though, maybe consider the Suntory Yamazaki instead. The Hibiki is delicious, but it's a bit too smooth for IT-problems-related drinking.

I've tried Yamazaki 12 and really enjoyed it. Given that my cut of the sales thus far is $288 (After Paypal fees, 10% for the front office lady, the rest my co-worker and I split 50/50) I've been gunning to try Hibiki at least once. Might as well, unless Yamazaki 18 is worth it?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

sfwarlock posted:

Somewhere around then, I still had one of those around to run old DOS games. Then a friend and I went a little crazy and stuffed a 300mhz K6-2, 128 megs of ram and a ps/2 mouse port breakout board in it. Plus a full-length Soundblaster. It's probably still at my mom's, I should see if I can get some pictures this weekend.

For years my wife has wanted to take all our old parts and build the ultimate Win98 machine so she can play poo poo like Doom and Wolfenstein 3D in their natural habitat.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
yeah from time to time I'm tempted to build what would have been my ultimate dream PC circa 1996, but then I remember things like DOSbox exist.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

MJP posted:

I've tried Yamazaki 12 and really enjoyed it. Given that my cut of the sales thus far is $288 (After Paypal fees, 10% for the front office lady, the rest my co-worker and I split 50/50) I've been gunning to try Hibiki at least once. Might as well, unless Yamazaki 18 is worth it?

Yamazaki 12 is 50 bucks, 18 is 150, so you can probably still get the Hibiki after all that.

The 18 is noticeably better than the 12. However, is it $100 better? Maybe, maybe not? It's such a subjective question. The only thing you can do is answer that for yourself.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

MJP posted:

Great news, you don't have to worry about it! $288 > $70 + $150! (disclaimer, I'm in Seattle where booze is not expensive)

Why don't you grab both? The 18 is worth it, but the Hibiki is great. The Yamazaki is a single-malt, and the Hibiki is blended (and includes some Yamazaki, I think).

I have heard it described as the difference between a soloist and a symphony. The Yamazaki 18 is my favorite soloist at the moment, but sometimes you want an symphony instead.

E: Oh man, I've got whiskey imposter's syndrome real bad. Worse than I've got for my actual job. I'm just waiting for someone to come tell me I'm a dumbass.

SolTerrasa fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 21, 2014

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
A ticket came in.. HR has purchased a half-dozen TV's to display 'Company News' to put in the break rooms. Now they want to know how they get the news from their PC to the TV. Maybe they should have thought about that earlier in the process, but HR.

So, I'm thinking quick and cheap is a bunch of Chromecasts, have one PC with multiple Chrome windows and voila! But this is a little outside my area of expertise. Is that a good way to do it, are there things I could make them buy that would work better? Anyone else doing something similar?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We had to do the same thing. We ended up connecting shitboxes to the PC's via HDMI and USB wifi and installing VNC to remote control.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This is pretty much what the Raspberry Pi was made for.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

GreenNight posted:

We had to do the same thing. We ended up connecting shitboxes to the PC's via HDMI and USB wifi and installing VNC to remote control.
Ya, that's an option - it hit's our licensing costs; for some reason because of our enterprise agreement, any computer owned by the company has to have complete MS licenses (Office, OS etc), and that expense is a bridge too far. That's what I've been told anyway.

Collateral Damage posted:

This is brilliant - And I can get rid of my OG pi for one of the new ones in the process.

porktree fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 21, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's when you tell HR - I can absolutely do this, but it will cost X. Please let me know when the expense is approved.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

SolTerrasa posted:

(disclaimer, I'm in Seattle where booze is not expensive)

Wait this is a joke, right?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

SolTerrasa posted:

Great news, you don't have to worry about it! $288 > $70 + $150! (disclaimer, I'm in Seattle where booze is not expensive)

Why don't you grab both? The 18 is worth it, but the Hibiki is great. The Yamazaki is a single-malt, and the Hibiki is blended (and includes some Yamazaki, I think).

I have heard it described as the difference between a soloist and a symphony. The Yamazaki 18 is my favorite soloist at the moment, but sometimes you want an symphony instead.

E: Oh man, I've got whiskey imposter's syndrome real bad. Worse than I've got for my actual job. I'm just waiting for someone to come tell me I'm a dumbass.

Problem is that we're single-income right now. My wife has had a balance disorder and ineligible for disability since March 2012. Anything I sell or earn on the side (focus groups and writing for an NYC lunch blog, yay) becomes my fun money. If I throw $220 on Scotch, that's a lot of dough I won't make back any time soon.

Plus, I've been hitting the bottle a lot less since getting out of the helldesk game. I still have a few drams worth of Longmorn 16 should the need arise - which is good, especially if you can get it for around $60ish like I did.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

porktree posted:

A ticket came in.. HR has purchased a half-dozen TV's to display 'Company News' to put in the break rooms. Now they want to know how they get the news from their PC to the TV. Maybe they should have thought about that earlier in the process, but HR.

So, I'm thinking quick and cheap is a bunch of Chromecasts, have one PC with multiple Chrome windows and voila! But this is a little outside my area of expertise. Is that a good way to do it, are there things I could make them buy that would work better? Anyone else doing something similar?

If you don't want to go about putting your own solution together with raspberry pi or whatever, what you are asking about is digital signage. There is an entire sub market dedicated to it. For something as simple as you are talking about I would look at viewsonic's offerings. There are on the lower end of the price curve but will give you what you need

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

stubblyhead posted:

Wait this is a joke, right?

Seriously, Seattle booze is really, really expensive compared to some other parts of the country. I make a liquor run every time I hit California because I can save like, 50%.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

DagPenge posted:

Hopefully he gets fixed up just fine and will be back in (not so much) action soon.

The camera techs told me he got a cut on his cheek from flying glass/shrapnel but that it got stitched up before he left the country. His beard should cover the scar. His camera is broken but fixable; the lens is KIA with the zoom motor controls completely gone and misaligned focus rings - at least it was just an old SD lens, and not a Wide-angle HD lens. :v:
An intern got his phone and just thought the brown marks was mud, so she dropped it in an envelope and took it to me. I've prepared a new iPhone for him to pick up on Monday.

Rumor has it he's done with "conflict zone" work because he realised it would be nice to be around for when his kids grow up (they are around 10 and 13).

..meanwhile a few of the young and eager student-cameramen (if that's even a word) already asked if they could go instead. I'd say they are insane, but I would probably have done the same when I was 20. Life goes on.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Crowley posted:

Rumor has it he's done with "conflict zone" work because he realised it would be nice to be around for when his kids grow up (they are around 10 and 13).

..meanwhile a few of the young and eager student-cameramen (if that's even a word) already asked if they could go instead. I'd say they are insane, but I would probably have done the same when I was 20. Life goes on.

They're hopefully aware that 2 journalists (one swede and one afghan) just were murdered over there? :ohdear:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

luminalflux posted:

They're hopefully aware that 2 journalists (one swede and one afghan) just were murdered over there? :ohdear:

Almost as if it were a country that's been in various states of insurrection, resistance, and civil war for about half a century straight :ohdear:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

luminalflux posted:

...and not murdered as in "caught in a crossfire", but explicitly targeted and murdered for being journalists.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Collateral Damage posted:

Please don't install a rogue Linux box in your company meeting area. It's not worth ending up on call over a fricking Pi because a director wants to change the time of a luncheon

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 21, 2014

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Seriously, Seattle booze is really, really expensive compared to some other parts of the country. I make a liquor run every time I hit California because I can save like, 50%.

I've recently moved here from parts of the country where booze is basically only sold in state liquor agencies, so you can find your Hibiki or Glenfiddich or whatever you want, but it'll be sold in one tiny specialty store fifty miles away, and good god will you pay for the privilege. I still float six inches off the floor when I walk into my local grocery and see alcohol, and I'm pretty sure walking into a big liquor store for the first time counts as a religious experience.

So, uh, maybe I gotta recalibrate.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

SolTerrasa posted:

I've recently moved here from parts of the country where booze is basically only sold in state liquor agencies, so you can find your Hibiki or Glenfiddich or whatever you want, but it'll be sold in one tiny specialty store fifty miles away, and good god will you pay for the privilege. I still float six inches off the floor when I walk into my local grocery and see alcohol, and I'm pretty sure walking into a big liquor store for the first time counts as a religious experience.

So, uh, maybe I gotta recalibrate.

Washington had state-run liquor stores until about two years ago or so as well. It was cheaper before

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Come up to Vancouver... Then Seattle will seem cheap for booze.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

CommanderApaul posted:

It finally happened to me. Everytime I've seen the story, I chalk it up as another "users can't possibly be that stupid" tall tale like the cd tray breaking off from being used as a cupholder.

I'm sitting at another user's desk getting the standard loadout of post-Win7 upgrade software/drivers installed and about to go through my spiel about how PDFMaker from Acrobat X isn't going to work in Office 2013, when another user from up the cubicle row comes up and tells me that he's missing emails that he was storing in his Deleted Items folder in Outlook.

The worst part is that the files he was looking for are actually still there, he just needed to click the "Get More From Exchange" link at the bottom of the list...
I've seen people make subfolders within their Deleted Items folder to help organize it better.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Devor posted:

I had some absolutely insane rendering glitches in Microstation after upgrading to Windows 7. Our CADD guy remoted into my computer and all the problems instantly went away. My first reaction was "someone is gaslighting me" because the coincidence was too perfect.

The screen-sharing software disables Aero when someone remotes in. Turning Aero off fixed the problem permanently.

Someone else is going onsite and will take a look at it after they fix some other problems. I thought they were gaslighting... but then they started talking about superstitions with a completely unrelated showroom. Yep the new showroom cursed outlook.

Knormal posted:

I've seen people make subfolders within their Deleted Items folder to help organize it better.
We had a guy want us to restore from backups emails he was keeping in the deleted items folder from 2 years ago, it gets purged after 30 days. He had organized folders for all of his emails but had never needed one until now.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Knormal posted:

I am doing this first thing Monday. And then informing the Exchange team that it is critical to production.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Lum posted:

"Oh hey I'm Joe Fucknugget"

Maybe it has been a really long week, but this left me out of breath laughing.

I think I'm going to use that name to refer to a manager of another department who expects me to read his mind.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't even understand a reason for doing that. Do they like the idea of sending important files to their "storage" by pressing the delete key?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Biggest concern about my new job:

one of them lurks SA.

Don't know how to deal with this.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

FireSight posted:

Oh god, only now do I discover this thread exists. So...

I used to be one of the 3 dudes doing tech support for Ubiquiti (I think there are 5 or 6 now), and also doing all the RMA intake and sorting. You have NO CLUE how many complaints we had over the airvision software, because of the lovely planning behind it. The software used to outright loose video because the software and firmware didn't interface properly. We had dozens of complaints from IT/security guys trying to find specific sections of video for theft investigations, and it just wasn't THERE. And we had to constantly make excuses, knowing full well that it wasn't a functional product, because instead of holding off on selling the drat thing and making apollogies and waiting for a fixed version, they just wrote it off and started working on a completely different design with a dedicated NVR machine instead of a NVR that could be installed on an existing computer.

As a note, unless they made any MAJOR changes to the NVR software that runs on a PC in the past 18 months, if you are running it on a PC, get rid of the entire loving system. Now. The legal headaches that will occur if it's used in a business and you suddenly NEED footage is just... argh.

:catstare:

:gonk:

Welp I'm pretty much showing this (as an anonymous c/p) to my boss Monday and telling him we need a new solution.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

one of them lurks SA.

Buy a new avatar.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

one of them lurks SA.

Don't tell him you post; Don't tell him your username.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

demonachizer posted:

Don't tell him you post; Don't tell him your username.

Sadly I gave reverence to SA/GUG during a VMUG... Oh well...

stubblyhead posted:

Buy a new avatar.

Even if I did I'd only replace it with Luna or my steam avatar

hosed the cropping

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 22, 2014

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
I just got promoted to supervisor! Apparently it happened three weeks ago and my boss just got around to telling me. We're pretty efficient around here sometimes.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

The Cubelodyte posted:

I just got promoted to supervisor! Apparently it happened three weeks ago and my boss just got around to telling me. We're pretty efficient around here sometimes.

Haha! Welcome to the club, brother.

...Hope you have a lot of whiskey.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

The Cubelodyte posted:

I guess your new duties won't be anything too unfamiliar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Heners_UK posted:

Come up to Vancouver... Then Seattle will seem cheap for booze.

This sounds like the worst vacation idea ever. "I want to go somewhere and pay top shelf prices for well liquor"

• Locked thread