Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Entropic posted:

No, your opponent can't stop the effect by killing Tymaret. The effect is already on the stack, it doesn't matter than the thing doing the effect is no longer there.

There's basically no way for your opponent to stop you sacrificing a creature for damage if you have the mana available.

I got to live the dream of chucking two elemental tokens at my opponent's face and sacrificing DJ MK to bring another copy from the graveyard into my hand in response to an Anger of the Gods the other day (and handily dropping MK into the graveyard rather than exile)

It felt pretty fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What? Sure it does if they want to cast the sorcery during their second main phase. You've rewound the steps to attacks to do your thing so they still get the rest of the turn. This is why you typically say "at EOT.."

E:also I'm sad the gbs wizard thread was closed but it was really funny in the end.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 21, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Tymaret recursion in murdergoatse is the best thing ever.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Fox of Stone posted:

What? Sure it does if they want to cast the sorcery during their second main phase. You've rewound the steps to attacks to do your thing so they still get the rest of the turn. This is why you typically say "at EOT.."

E:also I'm sad the gbs wizard thread was closed but it was really funny in the end.

In the situation he described, his opponent says "go ahead" after his main phase. This is pretty universally meant to mean "I'm done with my turn"

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

UberJew posted:

I got to live the dream of chucking two elemental tokens at my opponent's face and sacrificing DJ MK to bring another copy from the graveyard into my hand in response to an Anger of the Gods the other day (and handily dropping MK into the graveyard rather than exile)

It felt pretty fantastic.

Man, that's awesome. I read the ruling saying Tymaret can't sacrifice to himself, but he's not. He's sacrificing it to his evil (good?) twin already in the graveyard. Sick.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Fox of Stone posted:

He was wanting to cast an Ordeal on his dude when I moved him back to Declare Attackers since I was forcing his creature to attack, after he had already decided not to attack and passed his entire turn to me.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Death Bot posted:

In the situation he described, his opponent says "go ahead" after his main phase. This is pretty universally meant to mean "I'm done with my turn"

But by doing something on the other guy's declare attackers phase, he's going back to before main 2. He can't just say"I'm doing this and NOW your turn is over." Passing the turn on main 1 is a shortcut to bypass all the other irrelevant phases, under the assumption that your opponent has nothing to do either. If your opponent does do something, you back up to that point and go from there. Kinda like taking the shortcut of saying "Cabal Therapy Lightning Bolt." If they respond by Bolting you, you can change the card to Force of Will because you don't announce the card name until resolution, which is too late for them to do anything. If he doesn't respond, you can't change the card. Same deal here; he couldn't say "ok go" and as you start to untap, say "oh wait. I'm gonna cast Master of Waves on my second main" because he's already passed priority for the turn. Once you give him priority back by responding, it goes back to a normal turn.

Edit:

AegisP posted:

He was wanting to cast an Ordeal on his dude when I moved him back to Declare Attackers since I was forcing his creature to attack, after he had already decided not to attack and passed his entire turn to me.

I'm assuming he wanted to go back and put the Ordeal on his guy in main 1, which doesn't work.

The way I read your post was he wanted to do something on Main 2 and you didn't think it was legal.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 21, 2014

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Yea, sorry, nothing happened in main 2. This was all just figuring out when his 1st main phase ended considering he initially opted not to attack.

At least you run into other people who, recognizing that they have no attacks but I have an on-board way to interact in the Declare Attackers step, will still pause in Declare Attackers to give me the option of doing something. Those people are nice.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

LordSaturn posted:

I vaguely remember that they actually changed the rules early on with respect to activated abilities, so that in those days, killing Tymaret/Prodigal Sorceror would actually stop the ping. That's the "swinging sword" model.

That was never the case.

quote:

Example: Your rival uses an artifact. You respond by destroying the artifact with a spell. Since your spell is not an interrupt, the artifact's effect still takes place, though your rival can't use it again.

Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot
Man gently caress my LGS. I showed up at 6:45 for the 7 pm draft only to discover they'd already started. There goes my Friday night. Anybody in Bmore want to draft?

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

Johnnie5 posted:

Man gently caress my LGS. I showed up at 6:45 for the 7 pm draft only to discover they'd already started. There goes my Friday night. Anybody in Bmore want to draft?

Advertise an event, start it early, and don't let people who show up 15 mins before start participate. Winning business strategy right there.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Yea that sounds pretty horrible.

Like, presumably you were going to be a paying customer and they...won't take your money?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Johnnie5 posted:

Dude. There's like 12 stores within spitting distance of the Beltway. Just hit up one of the others.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I'm gonna go ahead and assume they had a full pod or two or something? whereby, yes, it's lovely for someone whose still early to miss out, but everyone else was there even earlier.

Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot

Toshimo posted:

Dude. There's like 12 stores within spitting distance of the Beltway. Just hit up one of the others.

Because everyone owns a car!

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Johnnie5 posted:

Which store was this? I know most of the local store owners. I'll bitch at them for you.

Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot
That's cool. I'll chat with the owner next week if I get there early enough (believe me, I'll be early! :) ) I just needed to bitch.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Johnnie5 posted:

I wrote off one of my local stores on Wednesday for the opposite reason.

He already had two strikes for previous issues: in a FTV:20 tournament he changed the rules for the final round of control vs control and didn't enforce any sort of time limit so everyone had to wait for it to finish to get their prizes and leave; in another event he gave really lovely prize support for first through third (just a few packs), then decided to fix it he would give promos to second down....but the promos were things like Celestial Colonnade, Wurmcoil Engine, etc., worth way more than the four packs I got for first place (second place got two packs and the Wurmcoil Engine).

I stupidly went back because it's the only Standard tournament during the week, 6pm Wednesday. Well, he got some calls from people who would be "a little late" and decided to hold the tournament for them....for 45 minutes. We did get a big turnout, 18 people (we usually barely get 8), he was clearly holding out for more money, but I was pretty pissed since it was a weeknight; when you bank on a 3 round event at 6pm and suddenly it's 5 round starting at almost 7, messes with your plans. Two of these latecomers wandered in with big bags of food they had clearly stopped to get on the way with no consideration for anyone else waiting on them. There were also two D&D games he let take up a ton of space, and he doesn't have very many tables and chairs to begin with; I get it, it's a weekly thing for them, but there's a point where you need to prioritize paying customers.

Then in round 3 my opponent was an insufferable douchenozzle from out of town. As a rule, anyone who self-identifies with the term "grinder" (out loud and non-ironically) is a complete rear end, and this guy lived up to that assumption quite well. I won't get into that, has nothing to do with the store, but even though that was my only loss I dropped and left. I'm moving in just over a month anyway, but I will never be going back to this store.

Anyway, that's my LGS horror story. I did report the guy to WOTC about the first incident with changing the rules, you can't just do that in a sanctioned event, but nothing ever happened that I know of. The place is probably going under anyway, they don't even use any sort of computerized inventory so they never have any idea what cards they have or what the prices are (which IS nice on occasion if you can catch them with their pants down and they haven't updated the stickers in the case yet after a price spike). Sucks that it's the store conveniently right around the corner from me.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Johnnie5 posted:

It's time for you to play the most power Magic: the Gathering spell of all time: Physical Activity, a card so powerful, few dare to even cast it once!!!

But yeah, that's lovely. Is there no bike culture in the Baltimore area? In the larger cities down here, we've got bike paths set up and it's a way cheaper alternative to cars.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Veyrall posted:

It's time for you to play the most power Magic: the Gathering spell of all time: Physical Activity, a card so powerful, few dare to even cast it once!!!

But yeah, that's lovely. Is there no bike culture in the Baltimore area? In the larger cities down here, we've got bike paths set up and it's a way cheaper alternative to cars.

Baltimore does not work that way. Not owning a car isn't a viable plan.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Veyrall posted:

Where do you live that it is safe/viable you to bike through your city/town???

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

PleasantDirge posted:

Where do you live that it is safe/viable you to bike through your city/town???

Anywhere with decent cycle lanes and people not being assholes on the road works, really.

Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot

Veyrall posted:

Since my usual mode of transit is my feet (30 minutes to the store then 30 back), your snark about physical activity is misplaced. Also my bike was stolen and I haven't replaced it yet. :(

Jabor posted:

Anywhere with decent cycle lanes and people not being assholes on the road works, really.

The second part is soooooo not Baltimore.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Jabor posted:

.... are those places that exist?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
So, my trip report. 4-1 for 4th place with my suddenly-not-budget Selesnya aggro deck.

Round 1: 2-0 against B/W jank. Felt kinda bad for him, he was clearly playing with a pile of colour-appropriate cards rather than a coherent deck. This is a recurring pattern at my LGS, at least in the first round.

Round 2: 2-0 against U/B Phenax mill. He didn't get Phenax in either game and none of his stuff was threatening enough to stop my relentless army of Loxodon Smiters and Fleecemanes.

Round 3: 2-1 against B/W humans, focusing on the Festering Newt combo. Won the first game because he didn't think through his combo properly when I sent a 6/6 Loxodon Smiter with Ajani's -3 on it at him. Lost the second due to land flood. Won the third when I shut his removal out with Gods Willing.

Round 4: 1-2 against America burn. My only loss of the night, this guy played really well with Searing Blood / Satyr Firedancer combos. My favourite part was when he Lightning Striked my Loxodon, Searing Blooded it to follow up and killed my Fleecemane with the Firedancer's bounce. :allears: This dude ended up second so I don't really mind losing a fairly close match against him.

Round 5: 2-1 against BUG control. Won the first game when he played three scrylands in a row and he couldn't get enough Abrupt Decay to stop my guys. Lost the second game when he stabilised thanks to Courser of Cruphix and managed to ulti Kiora.

The third game was incredibly tense Magic where I managed to beat him down very hard, but he was almsot stable. Then the drawback of Courser became apparent - I knew exactly what he was drawing when both of us hit topdeck mode, and I managed to squeeze out a Selesnya Charm on my Experiment One to win.

Walked away with a Courser of Cruphix (for the second week in a row :sigh:), while the dude who came seventh and got an extra booster pack pulled both Kiora AND Mogis. :psyduck:

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

En Fuego posted:

In apite of all it's shortcomings, I really love playing MTGO Cube. Just being able to draft insane Naya Aggro decks, and still get kept in check by awesome U/B decks. Lots of fun.

I think I want to try and force something stupid like reanimator, if given the chance.

I agree, cube is the safe happy place for me to play decks I never would otherwise. Saw a P1P1 Sulfuric Vortex tonight and got to go all-in on mono red and pulled it off. Most broken play was playing Siege-Gang Commander with Ogre Battledriver out for 13 hasty damage for 5 mana. Or burning a guy out from 7 life with Hellrider attack triggers + kicked Burst Lightning before his turn 5 Griselbrand had a chance to block and dig him out. Cube!!

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I agree, cube is the safe happy place for me to play decks I never would otherwise. Saw a P1P1 Sulfuric Vortex tonight and got to go all-in on mono red and pulled it off. Most broken play was playing Siege-Gang Commander with Ogre Battledriver out for 13 hasty damage for 5 mana. Or burning a guy out from 7 life with Hellrider attack triggers + kicked Burst Lightning before his turn 5 Griselbrand had a chance to block and dig him out. Cube!!

The second guy was me :smith:

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Huxley posted:

Wasn't skullclamp banned before the set even released, or is that just legend, too? Something about them making the -1 change at the last minute to make it "worse" and realizing what a busted deal it was after it was too late to pull back.

You're thinking of Memory Jar, which was "emergency banned" after Urza's Legacy had already been printed and was in distribution channels, but hadn't been released yet. They were trying to stop the bleeding of players leaving the game after Combo Winter (a Standard season completely defined by turn 1 or 2 kills), and realized that Memory Jar would have basically started the whole thing up again but not in time to stop it from being in the set.

It's also related to why the next block (Mercadian Masques) was so weak in comparison. Peter Adkinson (then president of WotC) called the Magic R&D heads into his office and threatened their jobs if Combo Winter 2 happened. They were intimidated enough that they went too far in the other direction and the block sucked by being too slow and bland. Fortunately Invasion came the year after and Magic was good again.

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 22, 2014

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Promoted Pawn posted:

It's also related to why the next block (Mercadian Masques) was so weak in comparison. Peter Adkinson (then president of WotC) called the Magic R&D heads into his office and threatened their jobs if Combo Winter 2 happened. They were intimidated enough that they went too far in the other direction and the block sucked by being too slow and bland. Fortunately Invasion came the year after and Magic was good again.

It's cool how this pattern of "broken block"->"crappy block"->"popular multicolor block" repeated itself with Mirrodin->Kamigawa-Ravnica. It's like they do multicolor sets specifically to stem the bleeding (or to stem anticipated bleeding). Alara came after the comparatively tamer skid of TSP and Lorwyn blocks. People at WotC were skeptical that gothic horror could carry a block, but they knew RTR was coming up right afterward...

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Snacksmaniac posted:

The second guy was me :smith:

Haha really? Griselbrand/Sneak Attack/Pentad Prism/Dark Ritual guy?

edit: I had by far the 2 most busted draws of the whole tournament against you in both our games, so I apologize for that

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 22, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Amusingly enough, Masques block cards were the power players in most of the major decks that you saw when it was together with Invasion block in Standard. Fires might have been named after an Invasion card, but without Derm and Burst the deck basically wouldn't exist in the fashion it did. (Counter-)Rebels and Nether-Go had their eponymous cards without which the decks were basically completely different. Straight U/W control was the exception, that probably could have run fine without any Masques cards.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Promoted Pawn posted:

Just curious, where do you get to hear 'behind-the-scenes' gossip like that? Did Maro discuss that happening in his podcast? I've always loved hearing about that kind of stuff.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

JerryLee posted:

Straight U/W control was the exception, that probably could have run fine without any Masques cards.

Blinding Angel and Accumulated Knowledge were the backbones of the deck. So, no, this is wrong.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

I like mail!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Goddamn that is a nice Island.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Toshimo posted:

Blinding Angel and Accumulated Knowledge were the backbones of the deck. So, no, this is wrong.

I would have thought that FoF was a backbone moreso than AK, and there were more win conditions than just Angel. Still, if we do assume it would have been crippled without the Masques block cards, then that just proves my point moreso.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Just curious, where do you get to hear 'behind-the-scenes' gossip like that? Did Maro discuss that happening in his podcast? I've always loved hearing about that kind of stuff.

It came up in one of Maro's podcasts and I've heard it one or two other places.

morning wood posted:

Advertise an event, start it early, and don't let people who show up 15 mins before start participate. Winning business strategy right there.

If they've already opened packs and they don't have enough people to set up another pod, you can't really just drop someone into draft. The store is still poo poo but not adding him immediately isn't why.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 22, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

eidt poo poo, double post

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

What a Judas posted:

I like mail!

In soviet russia, war and peace sword you

not sure if that is russian but it is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Gyshall posted:

In soviet russia, war and peace sword you

not sure if that is russian but it is awesome

It's Russian, yes.

I'm debating picking up another 40 of those 4-card miscut basics, but it's going to be a hefty trade. Decisions, decisions.

• Locked thread