Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

I am a descendant of the Bird King and heir to the Bird Crown, and I learned due to privilege the greatest and most powerful of Bird Magic, before transforming myself into a human through my own alchemy, granting me mastery over the tongues of both Bird and Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

LSTB posted:

I am a descendant of the Bird King and heir to the Bird Crown, and I learned due to privilege the greatest and most powerful of Bird Magic, before transforming myself into a human through my own alchemy, granting me mastery over the tongues of both Bird and Man.

http://birdkingdomrpg.proboards.com

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Nerf diplomancers

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

LSTB posted:

I was just a bird, it used to be pretty special

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the most fearsome creature in the world of darkness: the were-pigeon

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

corn in the bible posted:

the most fearsome creature in the world of darkness: the were-pigeon

TMNT the RPG had a system for making mutant animals where each animal would be assigned a number of points, and you could get more points by decreasing size or removing useful traits, or spend points to gain size and gain human traits like hands or not looking like a stupid animal person. So a sparrow would have a lot of points, but would have to spend a bunch to get up to a size where it could win fights and to get thumbs, while a horse would have very few points, but could get more by shrinking down to the size of a human. Everything was normalized so any animal could become a human with no advantages, or keep some disadvantageous traits to gain in power.

But the system broke down because no animals started with negative points, so once you rolled up an animal larger than a horse, they would start with 0 points no matter how large they were or how many points they could gain by shrinking down to human size.

Mutant hippos were bad... mutant elephants were terrifying... mutant whales were basically hill giants, striding into combat and cutting people in half with ninja swords the size of telephone poles.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mystic Mongol posted:

TMNT the RPG had a system for making mutant animals where each animal would be assigned a number of points, and you could get more points by decreasing size or removing useful traits, or spend points to gain size and gain human traits like hands or not looking like a stupid animal person. So a sparrow would have a lot of points, but would have to spend a bunch to get up to a size where it could win fights and to get thumbs, while a horse would have very few points, but could get more by shrinking down to the size of a human. Everything was normalized so any animal could become a human with no advantages, or keep some disadvantageous traits to gain in power.

But the system broke down because no animals started with negative points, so once you rolled up an animal larger than a horse, they would start with 0 points no matter how large they were or how many points they could gain by shrinking down to human size.

Mutant hippos were bad... mutant elephants were terrifying... mutant whales were basically hill giants, striding into combat and cutting people in half with ninja swords the size of telephone poles.

One of the most memorable fights I ever gave my players in 3.5e was a were-orca (not to be confused with the Ocean Strider). It was in danger of losing a land-based fight so it just ran through the woods like King Kong back to the sea even while they pelted it over and over from behind, because the lycanthrope template turned anything even moderately large into the Incredible Hulk, let alone a whale.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

One of the most memorable fights I ever gave my players in 3.5e was a were-orca (not to be confused with the Ocean Strider). It was in danger of losing a land-based fight so it just ran through the woods like King Kong back to the sea even while they pelted it over and over from behind, because the lycanthrope template turned anything even moderately large into the Incredible Hulk, let alone a whale.

sounds like a fun time.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Mmm.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i'd like to play some Exalted with you one day, swamp izzo.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Plutonis posted:

i'd like to play some Exalted with you one day, swamp izzo.

I'm reading the comics in the rule book right now!

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

If you say Zak S three times, Zak S appears and Zak S invites you to play D&D with hot blondes with standards that are financially mutable.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

i though the original appeal of the werewolf was that you felt you had this awful side to you that would come out and damage your relationships with others.

later of course they made it like the Hulk and turned it into a power fantasy, but the original werewolf lore was a curse, i thought

depends on who you ask. sigmund and sinfjotli turn into wolves for a couple of years in the volsunga saga and no one gets uppity about it. king gudmund gets kind of lovely about it in one of the eddas but everyone else just doesn't care much

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Here is everything I know about wheirwolves.

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

You can talk about werewolves being an Incredible Hulk analogue, I'll be keeping to their true cultural purpose: fantasizing about getting knotty with a woman half your size

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
exalted is ftw

Dec 26, 2012

LSTB posted:

You can talk about werewolves being an Incredible Hulk analogue, I'll be keeping to their true cultural purpose: fantasizing about getting knotty with a woman half your size

thank god someone is.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I have a badass Exalted character concept.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
hey: same.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
me too, it's the big dog from big dog t shirts chomping a cigar and going "what's the matter? too sexy for you?"

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
oh wait you said exalted character not exalted developer

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
I enjoy role playing ridiculous power-fantasy characters that are super min/maxed out and a general pain in the rear end for literally everyone else involved in the game because I'm a weak bitch that got stuffed in lockers a lot when I was in school. Also, D&D next sounds hella dumb and for turbo gaylords.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Rayjenkins posted:

I enjoy role playing a general pain in the rear end for literally everyone else involved in the game because I'm a weak bitch that got stuffed in lockers a lot when I was in school.

really makes u think

quote:

Also, D&D next sounds hella dumb and for turbo gaylords.

Next is literally designed for you

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Heh yeah basically.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Rayjenkins posted:

Heh yeah basically.

This is the part where you admit to being Mike Mearls irl :ssh:

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Error 404 posted:

This is the part where you admit to being Mike Mearls irl :ssh:

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
This dude looks hella dumb.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

welcome to the incredible world of synnibar

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

corn in the bible posted:

welcome to the incredible world of synnibar

synnibar is inoffensive and charming.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

would you gently caress me
id gently caress me

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Error 404 posted:

Next is literally designed for you

not really true, there are a bunch of straightforward juvenile power fantasies d&d totally fails to support

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
For instance, I can't be the Terminator. What is this bullshit. Fantasy is gay.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
Wow, if only I could blast some fools with the Super Shotgun from doom, but no, I have to use fireballs or swords. Gay.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I played a roleplaying game as a T-1000 golem once

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

one of the other players was just an unpleasant fat guy with really strong opinions about dragons

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Attorney at Funk posted:

one of the other players was just an unpleasant fat guy with really strong opinions about dragons

but for real though, why the gently caress can 100 peasants kill a dragon.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Nihnoz posted:

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Nihnoz posted:

the better question, I feel, is "why does it take 100"

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

a dragon is about as dangerous as a raccoon, all told

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Attorney at Funk posted:

a dragon is about as dangerous as a raccoon, all told

you take a big raccoon, small dragon, maybe it's a toss-up.

raccoon's a fierce animal. vicious.

• Locked thread