Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
I'm cooking something for my girlfriend for when she gets home.

So far I've put pork mince, peppers, onions, spring onions, garlic and ginger all in a frying pan and I'm currently frying it up.

It'll be served with rice.

I was just wondering, is there a seasoning or a sauce that would go well this this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sichuan pepper oil.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Soy sauce, hoisin sauce, mushroom soy, light soy, dark soy... you need some kind of soy sauce in there mang.

Alternately, curry powder and make it a kind of ghetto nua sup.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I'm up north, but I shall plan visiting the next time I'm visiting family down that way. That's pretty awesome.

I'm sure there has to be some kind of similar place near Fort Lee or somewhere up here.

The closest up this way is Kam Man in East Hanover or 555 in JC. I'll definitely check this place out when I visit the area.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

It's not the best NJ Chinese supermarket (I think for some reasons I like the Kam Man in Edison better for the premade foods and the Asian Food Center in Plainsboro for fruit/veg/other things) but on the other hand, I think the fish and meat at the Good Fortune near me is good.

That said, I like the overall market at H Mart in Edison better, even if it is a little more expensive. There's an H Mart in Fort Lee/Little Ferry too.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Oracle posted:

Soy sauce, hoisin sauce, mushroom soy, light soy, dark soy... you need some kind of soy sauce in there mang.

Alternately, curry powder and make it a kind of ghetto nua sup.

I added soy sauce! Thanks!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

hallo spacedog posted:

It's not the best NJ Chinese supermarket (I think for some reasons I like the Kam Man in Edison better for the premade foods and the Asian Food Center in Plainsboro for fruit/veg/other things) but on the other hand, I think the fish and meat at the Good Fortune near me is good.

That said, I like the overall market at H Mart in Edison better, even if it is a little more expensive. There's an H Mart in Fort Lee/Little Ferry too.

There are 3 H-Marts up here, Little Ferry, North Bergen and Fort Lee. Love H-Mart. Asian Food Center on 22 is one I go to fairly often, it's just nice to know of another place, especially for their seafood counters.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

hallo spacedog posted:

the Asian Food Center in Plainsboro for fruit/veg/other things)

When I lived in Princeton, the Asian Food Center was my go-to for asian groceries, I remember them having a comparatively large Thai/Indonesian/Malay section.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

fritz posted:

When I lived in Princeton, the Asian Food Center was my go-to for asian groceries, I remember them having a comparatively large Thai/Indonesian/Malay section.

Japanese too, which is why I loved the place.

Lots of Jersey goons here. Weird.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I just got a whole frozen salmon at the store, any recommendations on how to cook it? It was on sale for $2/lb so I figured I'd try

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Pepsi-Tan posted:

Any suggestions for some nice pork floss I got today?

get some soft tofu and a century egg. Cube the tofu, slice the century egg over the tofu, pour a little soy sauce, sesame seed oil, chinkiang vinegar, a smidge of sugar, and a smidge of white pepper over it all. Add a smidge of finely chopped cilantro, and top with a bit of pork floss.

Admire how pretty it looks, then smoosh it together and eat it on white rice.

Or yknow, eat it without smooshing it so you're not eating what looks like grey gluck. Also allows for mouth regions of egg that contrast with lightly marinated tofu in another part of your mouth.

What's the difference between nice pork floss vs the pork floss I just buy in the market?

themongol
Apr 30, 2006
Let us celebrate our agreement with the adding of chocolate to milk.
Any resources (books/youtube channels etc) for cooking vegetarian Chinese? Thanks.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

squigadoo posted:

get some soft tofu and a century egg. Cube the tofu, slice the century egg over the tofu, pour a little soy sauce, sesame seed oil, chinkiang vinegar, a smidge of sugar, and a smidge of white pepper over it all. Add a smidge of finely chopped cilantro, and top with a bit of pork floss.

Admire how pretty it looks, then smoosh it together and eat it on white rice.

Or yknow, eat it without smooshing it so you're not eating what looks like grey gluck. Also allows for mouth regions of egg that contrast with lightly marinated tofu in another part of your mouth.

What's the difference between nice pork floss vs the pork floss I just buy in the market?

The pork floss I got had some hard bits of pure concentrated pork here & there around the flossy bits. It made it nice in my eyes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

hallo spacedog posted:

Japanese too, which is why I loved the place.

Lots of Jersey goons here. Weird.

It's the country's most densely populated state.

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

I just got a whole frozen salmon at the store, any recommendations on how to cook it? It was on sale for $2/lb so I figured I'd try

Salmon in Chinese is kind of a tough one. Of the 23 years i've been alive I don't ever recall having "Chinese" salmon; it just doesn't seem to mesh well with our palette of flavors in my opinion.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Kuhmondo posted:

Salmon in Chinese is kind of a tough one. Of the 23 years i've been alive I don't ever recall having "Chinese" salmon; it just doesn't seem to mesh well with our palette of flavors in my opinion.

I ended up just sticking some tarragon and lemon slices inside and on top, then roasting it at 400 degrees Until It's Done. Very tasty.

I accompanied it with brussel sprouts that had been halved and blanched before a quick stir-frying in the wok. Added kosher salt, cracked pepper, and a dash of shaoxing wine. They were pretty tasty, although I'm still most partial to oven-roasted brussel sprouts.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Kuhmondo posted:

Only way I can think of salvaging salmon is steaming it with ginger in black bean sauce. Or just pan fry home style with glazed teriyaki sauce. Not sure if it's possible/tasty with frozen meat, but you can mash it up and make a fish ball out of it. Dump it into a hot pot and call it the day :downsrim:

I don't know what it's actually called but I really like the salted salmon slices Japanese style which you dump into your rice cooker and presto you get fish and rice.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

caberham posted:

Only way I can think of salvaging salmon is steaming it with ginger in black bean sauce. Or just pan fry home style with glazed teriyaki sauce. Not sure if it's possible/tasty with frozen meat, but you can mash it up and make a fish ball out of it. Dump it into a hot pot and call it the day :downsrim:

I don't know what it's actually called but I really like the salted salmon slices Japanese style which you dump into your rice cooker and presto you get fish and rice.

Salvage? Salmon is the finest drat fish ever :colbert:

My mom used to marinade it in a homemade soy sauce/teriyaki kind of sauce, then bake it. Very tasty.

I also love onigiri with salmon inside... I remember a trip in to San Francisco, picking up a couple salmon rice balls at a japanese store. Delicious. Of course, that's not Chinese, but it's still excellent.

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009
When I get my hands on salmon I just bake it with shaoxing wine, lemon, butter, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Either that or MAYBE hot pot like someone mentioned. Hot pot would be good actually; i'd have to try it next time my family does it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pham Nuwen posted:

Salvage? Salmon is the finest drat fish ever :colbert:

Salmon is the trashiest sushi :downsrim:

I meant salvage as in, rescuing the frozen dish and transforming it into a tasty meal :ohdear:

Just FYI, salmon fillet hot pot tastes weird. The hot broth just washes the taste away and it tastes like precanned blanched tuna. You can have dips, seasoning and all but the texture is kinda meh to me.

I do think blanching and stir frying sounds wonderful. Make a fried rice out of it as well!

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Mami (my mother in law) just steams it with a splash of light soy and pours over a few tablespoons of scorching hot scallion oil. It's good.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

You could probably cure and/or smoke it and do a tasty fried rice.

Also, mackerel's way better than salmon :colbert:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Salmon is good with sesame noodles and those kinds of sauces.

Salmon is best glazed with a 50/50 mix of miso paste and sugar and baked at 450 degrees. Nobody will care that it's not Chinese.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Your username makes me think you're Vietnamese, make ca kho Viet style.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

mich posted:

Your username makes me think you're Vietnamese, make ca kho Viet style.

I'm not Vietnamese, although my username does have the fun effect of making people think so.

I ended up just roasting the salmon western-style. It came out delicious. The next day, I stir-fried leftovers with some celery, soy sauce, shaoxing wine, angry lady chili crisp, and oyster sauce, then tossed it with rice to make salmon fried rice. That was even better than the first day!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What is the name of snow peas in Chinese? And Korean if you know it? I'm trying to track some down over here but I can't find a name for snow peas specifically.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

What is the name of snow peas in Chinese? And Korean if you know it? I'm trying to track some down over here but I can't find a name for snow peas specifically.

In Chinese, it's exactly what you would think it is (direct translation). xue dou or 雪豆

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Rurutia posted:

In Chinese, it's exactly what you would think it is (direct translation). xue dou or 雪豆

雪豆 is only used in certain areas, 荷兰豆 helan dou (holland beans) is the much more common word in Chinese for snow peas.

Why the gently caress they have that name I have no clue. :iiam:

Zerok
Feb 23, 2014

GrAviTy84 posted:

Lo Bak Go (Turnip cake)

Thanks for the recipes. I am trying to make this one today. Its boiling at the moment, will let you know how it turned out when this week when I eat it.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I got something off of the "authentic" menu at a new place around here and I got the "smoky wok tossed chicken with roasted chilis"... It was phenomenal but I can't find a recipe anywhere. Is there a more formal name?

Looked like this:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

emotive posted:

I got something off of the "authentic" menu at a new place around here and I got the "smoky wok tossed chicken with roasted chilis"... It was phenomenal but I can't find a recipe anywhere. Is there a more formal name?

I checked with my parents, and they both said it was Kung Pao chicken.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Strange Quark posted:

I checked with my parents, and they both said it was Kung Pao chicken.

This is alao what I was going to guess. Sichuan food is the best.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It looks like a regional variant on Kung Pao Chicken; in Sichuan you're guaranteed to see those lettuce stalks (it's a special cultivar and not gross like it sounds) instead of cucumber as the veg component.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Ahh okay. I guess I'm just used to lovely Americanized versions then, because this was amazing. And also had no peanuts but they did have that option as another menu item.

I think it was chicken, zucchini, chilis, onion, big chunks of garlic, and the scallions or whatever those are.

Glad I finally found a place with a more "authentic"menu (completely separate from their normal one). They had frog legs and all that weird stuff too.

emotive fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Mar 22, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Frog legs in ginger sauce are super great and I recommend them. You just have to be down with spitting out bones.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Is clear "Yu Yee Chinese Rice Cooking Wine" the same as Shaoxing wine? Or close enough? Apparently Shaoxing is normally darker...? The Asian grocery had like six brands of cooking wine, they were all clear.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

DisDisDis posted:

Hey foodie goons. If this question is too stupid hopefully you'll all at least appreciate the bump.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried making dark soy sauce themselves with soy sauce and molasses/dark brown sugar/something else and can give me some tips. I'm majorly allergic to gluten (not a hipster foodie I swear) and while I can get GF tamari (San-J until mom brought something else home because she fears naturally occurring MSG :can: ) GF dark soy sauce doesn't exist as far as I can tell.

Also would I be horribly remiss using San-J/whatever else in place of light soy sauce?

GF soy sauce definitely exists, kikkoman has a line. Not Chinese but :shrug:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ashgromnies posted:

Is clear "Yu Yee Chinese Rice Cooking Wine" the same as Shaoxing wine? Or close enough? Apparently Shaoxing is normally darker...? The Asian grocery had like six brands of cooking wine, they were all clear.

It's similar. Don't worry too much about the quality of Zhaoxing wine. The younger stuff is used for cooking. The older fermented ones for drinking.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Tried seasoning a new wok this evening as per the youtube video in the OP, yet I had A LOT of smoke, more than I was expecting (enough to set off my alarm), and was left with a sticky residue at the bottom of my wok. The sides were fine and I think were properly seasoned; a bit greasy but very smooth. Is it possible my burner actually went too high and burned something onto the surface? For the record I was using a cast iron wok with canola oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sounds pretty normal to me, just paper towel out any residue that isn't attached to the steel.