Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

On the plus side, this means you can buy it, play X, and sell the code for X-2 to someone else while pretending it never existed :v:

Yeah, except the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So apparently FF14 is 50% off for PC right now, but just the normal version and not the digital CE.
http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIV-Collectors-Download/dp/B00CX9L30W

Seems worth just waiting for the next CE sale if it also ends up at 50% off. A difference of :10bux: just for that fat chocobo would be reason enough.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Honestly I never finished FFX. I have seen or watched someone else play like 90% of the game, I think personally I only got to Luca before I just got bored and gave up. (I know the latter half of the game is pretty hype, and I did the final boss on my uncle's save file a few times cuz that part is rad.)

I just found FFX dull to play. Boring to look at, boring to run around in, boring to listen to. I didn't like Wakka. Every time I saw his dumb stupid face in the menu screen I wanted to punch him. And teenage-me hated that Lulu was hot for him.

X-2 on the other hand, it just hits the ground running and does not stop. It's over the top and flashy and stupid and does not take itself seriously in the least. Giant black void holding a factory with the ultimate superweapon, sitting comfortably right below an ancient city, and no one knows about it? Why the gently caress not!

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Burger McAngus posted:

Did anyone else preorder FFX|FFX-2 from Newegg and not get the limited edition?

I just got it in the mail, and what the gently caress they sent me the non-limited one too. I would have just bought the drat thing on PSN if they were just going to send me a normal one. Did you contact them and get a resolution?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Excels posted:

Honestly I never finished FFX. I have seen or watched someone else play like 90% of the game, I think personally I only got to Luca before I just got bored and gave up. (I know the latter half of the game is pretty hype, and I did the final boss on my uncle's save file a few times cuz that part is rad.)

I just found FFX dull to play.

It starts out really loving slow, I'll give you that - the first 8 hours or so you'll fight maybe ~30 random encounters, one optional boss, one actual boss, and go through two really short "dungeons" with no enemies in them. And then have to play goddamn Blitzball. And then things actually start happening.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I decided I was going to try to actually beat the story mode Blitzball game this time around, only to watch helplessly as the enemy AI constantly passed each other the ball and basically stalled for time. I think I got the ball a grand total of one time, where I just kind of impotently watched my Jecht shot get blocked. gently caress Blitzball. :argh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I somehow won the story game Blitzball game last night and didn't even use Jecht Shot. Wakka scored a goal with Venom Shot in the second half, the other team never scored at all.

And all I got was a Power Sphere. :argh:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

precision posted:

You get a Strength Sphere for winning. As in the one that you use on a blank node to get +4 Str. Not a power sphere that activates one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

precision posted:

I somehow won the story game Blitzball game last night and didn't even use Jecht Shot. Wakka scored a goal with Venom Shot in the second half, the other team never scored at all.

You also got a trophy that will never be referenced again.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Barudak posted:

You also got a trophy that will never be referenced again.

But when you first got it, man, that trophy was fuckin' important.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have played X a number of times and managed to finish the blitzball quest exactly once. Since then I've decided to just forget it even exists, plow right through it for the story and never look back.

Shifting gears, it turns out that one of the various Asian releases of X-2 on vita has English voiceovers and subtitles. This is surprisingly common practice. One unusual example was a certain set of releases of XIII/XIII-2 which used the English menus and subtitles but used the Japanese voices:eng101:. Sadly, Lightning returns did not have English subtitles in its equivalent release.

That was an awful lot of words to say I've spent too much money on importing final fantasy X-2.

Nyeehg fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 22, 2014

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
I'm genuinely curious: what do you mean by finishing Blitzball? Just completing Wakka's celestial weapon?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Xenogenesis posted:

I'm genuinely curious: what do you mean by finishing Blitzball? Just completing Wakka's celestial weapon?

He means the only game you have to play, against the Goers in Luca.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Xenogenesis posted:

Yeah, sorry I wasn't clear. Blitzball technicaly never ends so i should have chose my words more carefully.

I've managed to get Wakka's Celestial Weapon once several years ago. This was not the bes idea of mine. On all subsequent playthroughs I just do the one manditory game at Luca as fast as possible, not caring about the result. I then ignore it for the rest of my playthroughs, my logic being I did it once before, doing it again is senseless masochism.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Blitzball's awesome and IMO the biggest failing of the HD collection is that they didn't spend the time to make it more awesome or at least include a hard mode for it.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Waiting on my copy of X/X-2 to get here, and can *some*body explain coin crush/crash or whatever that coin game in X-2 was and how it worked? I remember getting the gambler dresssphere through pure luck on one go-round, and even though I sat through the tutorial enough times, I just don't think it ever clicked for me. I'm really not looking forward to going through that frustration again... in HD!

And I recently finished playing through XII again, and does anybody else just feel incredibly bad for Basch? Like, things worked out fine for everybody else in the end, but he just ended up with 'welp, guess I'm my dead brother now...' Seriously, not only was he stuck with one of the most ridiculous get-ups out of any FF characters, but his whole story arc is just getting poo poo on over and over again 'Welp, the king died, this kid got killed, my evil twin totally chumped me, I'm in a dungeon for two years, my name is poo poo, the only clothes they can get me are cargo shorts and a pot-holder, everybody I'm trying to help hates my guts, my BFF is an a-hole traitor, and now I have to pretend to be my brother. Greeeeeeat.'

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Blitzball owns, gently caress that haters

That first game can be a bitch but I usually try to beat it. Not that it affects anything in the long run, I just think it's silly for them to talk all that smack and then lose. Too bad there isn't a Trophy for beating that game. There should be!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

LadyPictureShow posted:

And I recently finished playing through XII again, and does anybody else just feel incredibly bad for Basch? Like, things worked out fine for everybody else in the end, but he just ended up with 'welp, guess I'm my dead brother now...' Seriously, not only was he stuck with one of the most ridiculous get-ups out of any FF characters, but his whole story arc is just getting poo poo on over and over again 'Welp, the king died, this kid got killed, my evil twin totally chumped me, I'm in a dungeon for two years, my name is poo poo, the only clothes they can get me are cargo shorts and a pot-holder, everybody I'm trying to help hates my guts, my BFF is an a-hole traitor, and now I have to pretend to be my brother. Greeeeeeat.'

In Revenant Wings he is surprisingly cool with his lot, it's great.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

On the other hand he gets to do what he's obsessed with which is protecting people and following his knightly oath while simultaneously getting a huge promotion and also getting the credit for killing his vile and traitorous brother Basch. Its wins across the board.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Waiting on my copy of X/X-2 to get here, and can *some*body explain coin crush/crash or whatever that coin game in X-2 was and how it worked? I remember getting the gambler dresssphere through pure luck on one go-round, and even though I sat through the tutorial enough times, I just don't think it ever clicked for me. I'm really not looking forward to going through that frustration again... in HD!

Sphere Break works as follows:

-The number is the centre is the Core Number. Your aim is to create one of three multiples of that number. So if it's 5, then you might want to get 5, 10, 15, etc.
-You have to pick one of the Entry coins to start before selecting any other coin(s) to add to it. If you get one of the three numbers at the top, you'll get points for it, then you get a new Core number to aim for. The less moves you make, the better.
-Using a Border coin will cause it to disappear after you get a required number. All other Border coins have their value increased by 1.
-You get a bonus if you make multiple sums in the same set of moves. So say you get one Core Multiple in three moves, then the next Core Multiple in three moves. You'll get a Coin Count Echo bonus.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

-You get a bonus if you make multiple sums in the same set of moves. So say you get one Core Multiple in three moves, then the next Core Multiple in three moves. You'll get a Coin Count Echo bonus.

Not by default though; you both need an entry coin with it as a bonus effect and to be using that coin. Same with the Multiplier Echo bonus.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

Every turn you're given a target number (the blue one in the middle) and you have to click on a set of coins that add up to that number, or a multiple of it. There are lots of fine details (eg. the first coin must be gold, which doesn't add to your quota) but basically you want to use as many coins as possible in each sum.

The "trick" is to break everything down so you're never adding more than two numbers together at a time. Say for example the target number is 7, you don't need to worry about making 21 or 35 or whatever out of all the coins on the board - just make single 7s and they'll stack together. What pairs of numbers can you use to make a 7?

1 + 6
2 + 5
3 + 4

Scan the board for these pairs and just match them together.

One thing to remember though, the turn ends as soon as you've hit a valid multiple, so the order you select the coins in is important - you might find a bunch of 1s and 6s, but if you start by selecting a 1 and a 6, that's 7 and your turn is done. Split up the first pair you find, select one coin first and make a mental note not to touch the other one until the end. The dangling half-match will prevent all your other pairs from completing the turn, eg:

-- middle number is 7 --
(1 + (1 + 6) + (2 + 5) + (7) + (7) + 6) = 35 in 8 coins

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It's funny, I don't think I ever 100% completed FF X. I don't remember tinkering with Blitzball much or bother powering up everyone's ultimate weapons or the monster arena. I did manage to beat the game though.

I assume taking part in Blitzball and the monster arena especially is how to grind to fight the Dark Aeons?

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
Honestly Blitzball is completely optional; Quick Hit + Rikku mixes will beat every boss in the game. Attack Reels just optimizes things. But yeah Monster Arena grinding is unavoidable; you need to grind for either stat spheres or Yojimbo funds.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Tempo 119 posted:

Every turn you're given a target number (the blue one in the middle) and you have to click on a set of coins that add up to that number, or a multiple of it. There are lots of fine details (eg. the first coin must be gold, which doesn't add to your quota) but basically you want to use as many coins as possible in each sum.

The "trick" is to break everything down so you're never adding more than two numbers together at a time. Say for example the target number is 7, you don't need to worry about making 21 or 35 or whatever out of all the coins on the board - just make single 7s and they'll stack together. What pairs of numbers can you use to make a 7?

1 + 6
2 + 5
3 + 4

Scan the board for these pairs and just match them together.

One thing to remember though, the turn ends as soon as you've hit a valid multiple, so the order you select the coins in is important - you might find a bunch of 1s and 6s, but if you start by selecting a 1 and a 6, that's 7 and your turn is done. Split up the first pair you find, select one coin first and make a mental note not to touch the other one until the end. The dangling half-match will prevent all your other pairs from completing the turn, eg:

-- middle number is 7 --
(1 + (1 + 6) + (2 + 5) + (7) + (7) + 6) = 35 in 8 coins

Oddly enough, I think you hit the nail on the head of *exactly* what I was doing wrong with that mini-game. I could beat the other players in that segment just fine, but I always seemed to get rolled by Shinra (then had to sit through the Rikku anime-crying cutscene any time I reloaded)

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I made an impulse purchase of FFX/X2 HD for my Vita (it just looked so lonely as of late) and I'm really glad I did. FFX is the video game equivalent of comfort food and playing it takes me right back to the early 00's. And they've definitely redone it quite well. Everything looks less choppy and far more visually smooth.

Now, if only they'd make FFVII HD: Exactly The Same, but with FFX HD-level graphics. Like seriously, slap that motherfucker onto Kickstarter and you'll have several million dollars within a week alone.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 22, 2014

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Creature Creation loving owns. There doesn't seem to be a good guide for it on the internet either, you get sense of discovery as a free bonus! :v:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Captain Mog posted:

Now, if only they'd make FFVII HD: Exactly The Same, but with FFX HD-level graphics. Like seriously, slap that motherfucker onto Kickstarter and you'll have several million dollars within a week alone.

If they ever remade FFVII, which, lets be honest, at this point is probably never going to happen, the only absolute requirement would be a new translation. Better graphics, great. Fixes to the gameplay systems, sure. Rerecording of the soundtrack, I'd like that. But I think fixing the translation and not taking out the goofiness to make it broody like the EU would be the only things that they'd have to do. I'd buy current FFVII but with a redone translation in a heartbeat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

Fixes to the gameplay systems, sure. Rerecording of the soundtrack, I'd like that. But I think fixing the translation and not taking out the goofiness to make it broody like the EU would be the only things that they'd have to do. I'd buy current FFVII but with a redone translation in a heartbeat.

I originally read this as you wanting it to be broody like the EU and my horror was palpable.

I genuinely like FFVII's original script, plot-obscuring typos aside, but nostalgia's wrapped so tightly around my memories of that game that I can't deliver a clear-headed opinion of it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

I originally read this as you wanting it to be broody like the EU and my horror was palpable.

I genuinely like FFVII's original script, plot-obscuring typos aside, but nostalgia's wrapped so tightly around my memories of that game that I can't deliver a clear-headed opinion of it.

Oh that was a quick edit.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Xenogenesis posted:

Monster Arena grinding [...] Yojimbo funds.

Man, that makes me wonder if they changed the thing where you get to fight Fenrir for free. Because they forgot to actually make it charge you anything. :v:

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

abagofcheetos posted:

I just got it in the mail, and what the gently caress they sent me the non-limited one too. I would have just bought the drat thing on PSN if they were just going to send me a normal one. Did you contact them and get a resolution?

Same here! I ordered it before Limited existed, and got regular. My order page says Standard Edition now. Boo. Already opened it though.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Blitzball owns, gently caress that haters

That first game can be a bitch but I usually try to beat it. Not that it affects anything in the long run, I just think it's silly for them to talk all that smack and then lose. Too bad there isn't a Trophy for beating that game. There should be!

I just beat it and got a trophy.
E: I guess it could be for winning any game though.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Skychrono posted:

Same here! I ordered it before Limited existed, and got regular. My order page says Standard Edition now. Boo. Already opened it though.

This is crap though, I preordered it like in October or something stupid because it was $5 off and said I would get the limited edition. If I was just going to get the standard edition I would have bought it on PSN and taken advantage of the $10 back deal. I'm gonna see if they will accept a return and just buy it used in a few months.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

LadyPictureShow posted:

Basch is easily the most selfless character in the entire series but in a good and believable way. When he says:
"After Vayne's ruse I had abandoned hope for honor... yet never did I forget my knightly vows. If I could protect but one person from war's horror... then I would bear any shame. I would bear it proudly. I could not defend my home. What is shame to me?"

He isn't kidding. He has his own feelings and ideas of course but he puts his duties and devotion before all else. The contrast between him and Gabranth was one of the best elements of XII's story.

On a wholly different topic, watching a LP of X-2, and I'm curious - what do people think of the Gunner's Gauntlet/ Was it fun? Did you bother with it beyond the 500 points to stick it to Beclem?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 22, 2014

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

On a wholly different topic, watching a LP of X-2, and I'm curious - what do people think of the Gunner's Gauntlet/ Was it fun? Did you bother with it beyond the 500 points to stick it to Beclem?

I hate Gunner's Gauntlet, Beclem, and anything that involves them.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

XII's story was actually not bad by JRPG standards. Too bad they have such awful fashion sense in Ivalice.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Excels posted:

XII's story was actually not bad by JRPG standards. Too bad they have such awful fashion sense in Ivalice.

It was fine until the (near endgame) Occuria showed up and my eyes rolled into the back of my head.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Was I supposed to think Dr. Cid was the bad guy in 12?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Most of the characters in XII were kind of boring. Except Balthier, he was great.

Excels posted:

It'd be easier to count the outfits in Final Fantasy that aren't stupid. I liked Yuna's dress in X but that's about it.