Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

JGBeagle posted:

OOC: Yeah, I find it really gamey; especially when it's just one leader after another.

OOC: Mmm, I think I have to echo this sentiment too. I mean I do it when I'm playing CK2 but for a narrative it's very anticlimactic when that rising threat just gets his throat stabbed and replaced by a baby. I mean the Islamic states already have to deal with decadence, they don't even need stabbings to make sure their realms don't overrun us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

##Vote New Byzantines

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

##Vote Old Romans

##Vote Phanariotes

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking as a Loyalist, should the Milvans and Old Romans form a caucus, I would happily throw my support behind such an undertaking. I can't speak for my fellow loyalists, but I'd think they'd agree with me.

As such, I'm not going to vote Loyalist unless it gets reassigned appropiately.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 21, 2014

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

##Vote Komnenians

JT Jag posted:

[
##Vote Old Romans

I believe that only through the Old Romans can we most effectively press the agenda of the Komnenian dynasty and strengthen the Empire.

(The elder senator leaves the chamber, to a smattering of polite applause)

Shame and censure be upon you, sir. We caucused with your family for two hundred years, invited you to all the best parties, named a cocktail after you, and this is how you repay us? By joining the old romans?!? You make me sick. Anyway, urgent party business: what are we going to call the drink consisting of chilled orange juice, vodka, and pomegranate liqueur now that the Jag name is disgraced? And I don't want to hear any talk of calling it a Scruffles. Everyone knows that's gin, whiskey, and lemon zest.

YF-23 posted:

a unified Old Roman-Milvian-Komnenian caucus:

It's an interesting idea, to be sure, but why should the Komnenians caucus with you instead of the New Byzantines? The Komnenoi themselves have supported the New Byzantines more often than not and they share our vision of a modern, centralized Greek empire under Komnenian rule. What do your parties offer us? Religious zealotry and the pipe-dream of a restored Roman Empire? I think I'll pass.

JGBeagle posted:

OOC: Yeah, I find it really gamey; especially when it's just one leader after another.

I have to agree, the plot-based assassinations were an interesting addition to the game, but I don't think they got the balance right. It's way too easy to just click auto-invite and have half your enemy's court lining up to kill him for you.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

##Vote Old Romans

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Duckbag posted:

Anyway, urgent party business: what are we going to call the drink consisting of chilled orange juice, vodka, and pomegranate liqueur now that the Jag name is disgraced? And I don't want to hear any talk of calling it a Scruffles. Everyone knows that's gin, whiskey, and lemon zest.

Maybe... an Orange Ioulia? :iamafag:

quote:

It's an interesting idea, to be sure, but why should the Komnenians caucus with you instead of the New Byzantines? The Komnenoi themselves have supported the New Byzantines more often than not and they share our vision of a modern, centralized Greek empire under Komnenian rule.

Excellent idea, Senator Duckbag! Let me jump on this bandwagon! I officially propose that in the next election the Koumenoi and the New Byzantines caucus together! We need a cute name for our alliance and a flag that's as classy as both our flags, though. And I'll need a new dress!

j00rBuDdY
Sep 11, 2001
Let me be your friend.

YF-23 posted:

Indeed the thought of a unified caucus did cross my mind as I am not entirely comfortable with another nebulous New Byzantine term.

Nebulous? Hardly. Senators Ratoslov and Arshak I Qutuzid have clearly outlined the goals of the New Byzantine party and the methods through which we should hope to achieve them. Ours is not a quick fight nor an undertaking that can be accomplished though the mere massing of troops. Reforming the apparatus of the state is hardly an easy task, but it is a task that only we are suited to accomplish.

Given this ultimately serves to strengthen the powers of the crown, I would like to imagine the Komnenians would find it agreeable to form a caucus with us.

OOC: A pity there there isn't an administrative bureaucrat vassal type or we'd have something concrete to do for the rest of CK2. The New Byzantines really won't get a chance to seem relevant though game play mechanics until we hit EU4.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

## Vote Komnenians

Espionage and assassinations forever! We aren't killing enough children in their cribs already, we must expand the reach of the Black Chamber.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?

##Vote Old Romans

##Vote Phanariotes

We must continue to restore Rome until all accept that we have returned!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

I am in favour of an Old Roman/Milvian Coalition to secure our majority. Needless to say, we will be working together restoring Jerusalem and Antioch. Our interests coincide.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 22, 2014

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?

AJ_Impy posted:

http://i.imgur.com/qLFCXx0.png

I am in favour of an Old Roman/Milvian Coalition to secure our majority.. Needless to say, we will be working together restoring Jerusalem and Antioch. Our interests coincide.

Agreed. Send our diplomats if we must to forge claims on those provinces, we WILL restore Rome in all ways.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

#Vote Centrists

All this talk about dissolving the-the New Byzantines, w-we have to stick together, everyone! I-I mean, if you want to, that's alright with me, b-but, I um, uh...

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
So, having failed to talk the New Byzantines into committing suicide, the Old Romans are now trying to dupe the Milvians into becoming their mewling lap-dogs?

For shame, senators. Your lust for power pushes you to... inelegance.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Why shouldn't the Milvians want to work with the Old Romans? Only they will be able to properly advance the restoration of the Pentarchy. The New Byzantines are have, apparently, a growing sense of pacifism and a tradition of "inclusivity." Neither will get the Milvians what they want.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

##Vote Guiding Light

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Ghostwoods posted:

So, having failed to talk the New Byzantines into committing suicide, the Old Romans are now trying to dupe the Milvians into becoming their mewling lap-dogs?

For shame, senators. Your lust for power pushes you to... inelegance.

Actually, the faults of the New Byzantines were clear to all: I of the Milvians have commented on them as well as those of the two Civic parties. We are by no means Old Roman lapdogs: We remain committed to promoting Orthodoxy and they to the restoration, it just so happens that in this case our objectives are the same, the Levant and Aegyptus. We get patriarchs in the holy sees, they get rich provinces returned to the Empire, both sides are satisfied with the outcome.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

JT Jag posted:

##Vote Old Romans

I believe that only through the Old Romans can we most effectively press the agenda of the Komnenian dynasty and strengthen the Empire.

(The elder senator leaves the chamber, to a smattering of polite applause)

Tsk tsk tsk.

Joining inferior factions eh. What a shame. On the other hand, I think I can now call dibs on being head of the Komenian factions, which means I can delegate all the hard work to other people while I party even harder.

YF-23 posted:

Indeed the thought of a unified caucus did cross my mind as I am not entirely comfortable with another nebulous New Byzantine term. To that end I made this icon earlier today, for a unified Old Roman-Milvian-Komnenian caucus:

Hmmm.

On one hand, I am not aware of any great ideological conflicts with those parties. Mostly that is because I rarely pay attention to what they say. And I suppose it might lend greater voice to the important Komnenian matters such as the propagation of the Komnenian dynasty and whatnot. I would extend a tentative paw, as the famed senator Scruffles once did, in the direction of such an alliance.

The moment there is a plurality of opinion however, that the methods suggested by such a caucus might not be in the best interest of the Komnenians, as we would define it, we would withdraw from such an arrangement. Keep that in mind.

As for this discussion on the "Black Chamber", well. While I would of course never support the slaying of people by way of treachery, one must admit that the political chaos caused by the untimely deaths of those opposed to the Komnenian dynasty have been highly convenient. Of course, the idea that such accidents happened due to an organized group of killers organizing them and at times executing them, well. That seems patently absurd to me.

And so any talk of "dissolving" a chamber that simply does not exist is doubly absurd, a sign of a sick mind. Such rambling is often the first sign of dementia, after which death almost always follows, in various forms most unfortunate. I would encourage my fellow senators to keep that in mind.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Tevery Best posted:

##Vote True Religion's Advocates In Time Of Rebellion & Strife

Also Rincewind, I wanted to form a new cross-party coalition dedicated to a single-issue this-has-been-bugging-me thing a few pages ago, did you miss it or are we at the "way too many" point already?

Whoops, I missed that! :( I'll include them in the next session (I want to try to avoid adding parties in mid-vote, since me trying to merge minor parties in the middle of the session wound up being a huge headache last time), and in the mean time the Senate can try to just pass a bill banning the Black Chamber if they want once voting on bills starts.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Rincewind posted:

Whoops, I missed that! :( I'll include them in the next session (I want to try to avoid adding parties in mid-vote, since me trying to merge minor parties in the middle of the session wound up being a huge headache last time), and in the mean time the Senate can try to just pass a bill banning the Black Chamber if they want once voting on bills starts.

So if I wanted to found a new party, it would probably be best to do that after the session ends, right? Makes it easier to sort out.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

TheMcD posted:

So if I wanted to found a new party, it would probably be best to do that after the session ends, right? Makes it easier to sort out.

Yes, there's a moratorium on making new parties until we're between sessions again. Sorry. :(

Current vote count:

OLD ROMAN PARTIES: 22

Old Romans: 20
Samuel
Horsebanger
Skyfinder
Ubern00b
Charlie Mopps
nothing to seehere
GenHavoc
NewMars
Flesnolk
Gnooble
RagnarokZ
DivineCoffeeBinge
StrifeHira
Pyroi
Semquais
JT Jag
Grim reaper
Third Murderer
BwenGun
AdventFalls

Unitas: 2
EightDeer
Lord Cyrahzax

NEW BYZANTINE PARTIES: 20

New Byzantines: 16
j00rBuDdY
Lynneth
Caustic Soda
Aeromancia
cokerpilot
D3m3
OddObserver
Freudian
Ratoslov
Luhood
General Antares
ChrisAsmadi
Frozen_flame
Lost Season
Sleep of Bronze
Mirdini

Steppes and Republics: 1
Blackunknown

Loyalists

Centrists:1
Raserys

Pragmatists: 2
Meinberg
Archaeology Hat

MILVIAN PARTIES: 9

Milvians: 6
occipitallobe
YF-23
AJ_Impy
Vander
Sindai
Adept Nightingale

Fraternalists: 3
Rejected Fate
Jimmy4400nav
mageofthesands

KOMNENIAN PARTIES: 8

Komnenians: 8
Lord Windy
Muskatnuss
Ghetto Prince
Deceitful Penguin
GoatLord
theblastizard
Duckbag
Patter Song

Hellenic Restoration

DISCORDIAN PARTIES: 7

Discordians: 1
Ghostwoods

Guiding Light: 3
Sampatrick
TheFlyingLlama
Talas

True Religion's Advocates In Time Of Rebellion & Strife: 2
Ofaloaf
TheMcD

The People: 1
JGBeagle

CROSS-PARTY FACTIONS

New Marians
AJ_Impy

Expansionists
nothing to seehere
EightDeer
AJ_Impy
DivineCoffeeBinge
Lord Cyrahzax
Adept Nightingale

Phanariotes
occipitallobe
j00rBuDdY
Lynneth
Caustic Soda
Ghetto Prince
YF-23
Rejected Fate
Aeromancia
NewMars
AJ_Impy
Jimmy4400nav
D3m3
Lord Cyrahzax
OddObserver
Ratoslov
Luhood
Meinberg
GoatLord
TheMcD
JGBeagle
TheFlyingLlama
Ghostwoods
Pyroi
Lost Season
Third Murderer
AdventFalls

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

##Vote New Byzantines

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

## Vote Hellenic Restoration

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Maybe one day the Komnenians will win. It will be a glorious day.

Grand tournaments, summer fairs and hunts all year round.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

##Vote Milvians

I also advocate for an alliance with the Old Romans if they do not hold a plurality.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

I believe a unified Old Roman-Milvian caucus would serve us well, as the Old Romans desire Egypt and the Levant, and we desire them as well - though for different reasons. Our policy aims match precisely in this present day, and so I am throwing my support being this endeavour.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

##I too am for a Milavian-Old Roman coalition.

Let us come together, for now, so as to secure the floor and increase the greatness of Rome!

Bart Roberts III
Jun 28, 2008

##Vote New Byzantines

restore an Empire? We Are an Empire, this Old roman stuff has never made much sense.

That said, I do have a few ideas...

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

j00rBuDdY posted:

OOC: A pity there there isn't an administrative bureaucrat vassal type or we'd have something concrete to do for the rest of CK2. The New Byzantines really won't get a chance to seem relevant though game play mechanics until we hit EU4.

OOC: Absolutely. I can't think of any good mechanics for an administrative bureaucrat vassal, though. The Chinese administrative bureaucracies were, if anything, even more backstabby and manipulative than the nobles.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

WilliamAnderson posted:

##Vote Milvians

I also advocate for an alliance with the Old Romans if they do not hold a plurality.

While I have made my vote, I think I have a suggestion for the future for discussion now. The Varangian Guard has done an excellent job in helping us restore the Empire. I think that it is only fitting that as we expand to retake Jerusalem and Aegyptus that they are given an adequate amount of land in compensation. At minimum they should have their own Theme, perhaps in northern Italy where the Roman Guard of old would have trained.

j00rBuDdY
Sep 11, 2001
Let me be your friend.

Ratoslov posted:

OOC: Absolutely. I can't think of any good mechanics for an administrative bureaucrat vassal, though. The Chinese administrative bureaucracies were, if anything, even more backstabby and manipulative than the nobles.

OOC: Adding them would require a huge ton of events to make it come off well and the intrigue system would need to be completely overhauled to be complex enough for something like that because it would absolutely require under the table deals and the like.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
@ Senator Cyrahzax: I see. In that case my earlier criticism is a bit overwrought. My apologies. While I still disagree with the idea, the means are much less unacceptable.

OOC: Absolutely! All this wrangling is fun.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

##Vote New Byzantines

##Vote Phanariotes

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

It heartens me to see that the reconquest of Rome and the relative peace brought by our emperor has put things into perspective with our senators, as I hope a glorious Old Roman Majority will propel the Imperial system into the next century and will heavily build up in militarization.

Alexey
Feb 15, 2012

##Vote Old Romans

##Vote Phanariotes

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

YF-23 posted:

Indeed the thought of a unified caucus did cross my mind as I am not entirely comfortable with another nebulous New Byzantine term. To that end I made this icon earlier today, for a unified Old Roman-Milvian-Komnenian caucus:

Hey man, you know what? This is BULLSHIT! We don't want no hash with the Turks, we just wanna smoke hashish together.

Guys, I know the Byzantines are a bunch of nerds ,but those College Milvian assholes have joined up with the Old Roman jocks , and if we wanna be free to do our thing than we need to vote with the New Byzantines.

Our University was built on... you know, the loot from Venice, but that don't mean we want more war, and it don't mean this is over! Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Dutch cut off Alexios's dick? Hell no! No way, and it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough ... uh ... we all get wasted while we wait for an Empress to save everyone ? I don't know man, I didn't pay much attention in history class. :2bong:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Since votes have slowed to a trick, I'll close the vote at midnight EST tonight.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Ghetto Prince posted:

Hey man, you know what? This is BULLSHIT! We don't want no hash with the Turks, we just wanna smoke hashish together.

Guys, I know the Byzantines are a bunch of nerds ,but those College Milvian assholes have joined up with the Old Roman jocks , and if we wanna be free to do our thing than we need to vote with the New Byzantines.

Our University was built on... you know, the loot from Venice, but that don't mean we want more war, and it don't mean this is over! Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Dutch cut off Alexios's dick? Hell no! No way, and it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough ... uh ... we all get wasted while we wait for an Empress to save everyone ? I don't know man, I didn't pay much attention in history class. :2bong:

"When the going gets tough, the tought hide under the table", said the old statesman "Niger Draco".

As ever, we Komnenias are open to offers from the lesser parties about co-operating with them. But all of that resides with how well they agree to work into our ares of interest.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Since there has been no direction from the leader of the Loyalist Party, I am forced to align myself with the spirit, rather than the letter of our manifesto.

##Vote Old Romans

##Vote Phanariotes

I find the Loyalist party being permanently wedded to the New Byzantines rather counter to our stated aims. But one must make do.

However, I will indicate my allegiance to the loyalists as I vote by using a variant upon the current emblem (to prevent confusion) when voting along with those I have previously established:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

##Vote Pragmatists

• Locked thread