Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
According to the State of California, homeless people are now pollution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Miss-Bomarc posted:

According to the State of California, homeless people are now pollution.
Well, according to this charming fellow anyway:

quote:

Jones -- a retired 22-year veteran of the San Jose Police Department
I am sure water is the very top of his lifelong concerns list!

OTOH its a legit issue, its the tone they are addressing it with that is the problem.

quote:

"Basically what it comes down to," said Fish and Wildlife Lt. Byron Jones, who filed the complaint Wednesday with the San Francisco Bay Regional Water Quality Control Board, "is they accept the encampments, they feel no sense of urgency to remove them, nor have they ever. It's always been about the next cleanup. It's never been about ending the practice of illegally camping and being in proximity to water."

So the urgency should be "remove them" not "house them". Well said ex-cop!

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 21, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FRINGE posted:

Well, according to this charming fellow anyway:

I am sure water is the very top of his lifelong concerns list!

OTOH its a legit issue, its the tone they are addressing it with that is the problem.

So the urgency should be "remove them" not "house them". Well said ex-cop!

I'm glad to hear you've learned how to make trash and human waste no longer pollute waterways.

quote:

In January, the water district released a report showing that it and the city spent $275,542 last year and removed 2,011 cubic yards of debris from homeless encampments along creeks and rivers in Santa Clara County.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm glad to hear you've learned how to make trash and human waste no longer pollute waterways.
Oh?

quote:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Just push them up towards San Francisco/Berkeley to maintain the pristine south bay like the rest of the country does :v:

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 22, 2014

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

If anything the Hawaii tickets are "return to sender" because those guys were given tickets to Hawaii from other states.q

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

CrazyLittle posted:

If anything the Hawaii tickets are "return to sender" because those guys were given tickets to Hawaii from other states.q

Hawaii has the law of the splintered paddle in its constitution.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C4%81n%C4%81wai_M%C4%81malahoe

quote:

Law of the Splintered Paddle:

Oh people,
Honor thy god;
respect alike [the rights of] people both great and humble;
May everyone, from the old men and women to the children
Be free to go forth and lay in the road (i.e. by the roadside or pathway)
Without fear of harm.
Break this law, and die.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Just found this thread. San Diego native here. Please feel free to ask me whatever.

You can also email me at chinatown858 (AT) G Mail DOT....

Protip: Eat a burrito whilst drunk.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
A burrito with french fries in it. Best drunk (or other other altered state) food ever.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

nm posted:

A burrito with french fries in it. Best drunk (or other other altered state) food ever.

I wish it was easier to find them in SF. Thankfully there's a place near my house that has them...and they deliver :getin:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I dunno. Ever had a teryaki burrito before? There are a few Mexican and/or Chinese places in Torrance/Gardena that do them. Delicious teryaki chicken slathered in teryaki sauce and salsa picante wrapped in American cheese and rice and served hot in a rolled flour tortilla. Tell me that's anything less than amazing.

If you're in San Francisco you may never know its glory :smith:.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
CA burrito culture is cool. SD is all about California Burritos with french fries in them, SF/Bay has "mission style" whatever the gently caress that is, and LA has tacos and tortas.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Casual Yogurt posted:

CA burrito culture is cool. SD is all about California Burritos with french fries in them, SF/Bay has "mission style" whatever the gently caress that is, and LA has tacos and tortas.

I'm going to be in SD later next month. Recommend me a burrito place. I went to some random place that has 4 stars on yelp. It was a dive (promising!) but was loving terrible. It sucks because I love California burritos.

I'll probably end up near Mira Mesa since that is where a bunch of breweries are.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Casual Yogurt posted:

SF has good tacos and tortas too :colbert:

And a mission-style burrito is basically a super-sized burrito with everything in it. Supposedly first created in the mission district in the 1960s, they include Meat, beans, cheese, salsa, avocado/guacamole, sour cream, hot sauce, and usually rice as well, which is the main ingredient that makes it stand out from most burritos in SD or LA. I prefer to get them with no rice though, and there are some old school SF taquerias that don't put rice in there by default (they are the best ones). The mission style burrito is basically what every national burrito chain restaurant (chipotle, freebirds, whatever the hell else is out there) and many foreign places are trying to emulate.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I dunno. Ever had a teryaki burrito before? There are a few Mexican and/or Chinese places in Torrance/Gardena that do them. Delicious teryaki chicken slathered in teryaki sauce and salsa picante wrapped in American cheese and rice and served hot in a rolled flour tortilla. Tell me that's anything less than amazing.

If you're in San Francisco you may never know its glory :smith:.

That does sound pretty good, except for the American cheese.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 25, 2014

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.

Stolennosferatu posted:

I'm going to be in SD later next month. Recommend me a burrito place. I went to some random place that has 4 stars on yelp. It was a dive (promising!) but was loving terrible. It sucks because I love California burritos.

I'll probably end up near Mira Mesa since that is where a bunch of breweries are.

I don't know poo poo about SD anymore but when I used to come down from LA to visit homies at UCSD they would take me to Robertos on Miramar for Carne Asada fries which are the best thing about SD.

Rah! posted:

SF has good tacos and tortas too :colbert:

LA doesn't have burrito culture like SF or SD, LA is all about the tacos.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
SLO gets to take the best parts of everywhere else and use them without pretension. :) But then everybody adds cilantro to everything and ruins it. :(

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Not really familiar with Mira Mesa but if you hop over to Kearny Mesa go to Super Sergios on Convoy Street. I ended up there many a drunken night for a few years.

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013
i like bois

Chinatown posted:

Not really familiar with Mira Mesa but if you hop over to Kearny Mesa go to Super Sergios on Convoy Street. I ended up there many a drunken night for a few years.

Super Sergios is decent, but you need to go farther south. It isn't a burrito if you aren't eating it over a trash can with a liquid dripping out of the bottom.

edit: Go to Min Sok Chon on Convoy if you want some of the best korean BBQ. They are also open til 4am, and they don't care if you keep drinking Soju into the wee hours of the morning in one of the karaoke rooms.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
So......Leland Yee, anybody?

quote:

In a stunning criminal complaint, State Sen. Leland Yee has been charged with conspiring to traffic in firearms and public corruption as part of a major FBI operation spanning the Bay Area, casting yet another cloud of corruption over the Democratic establishment in the Legislature and torpedoing Yee's aspirations for statewide office.

Yee, D-San Francisco, highlights a series of arrests Wednesday morning that included infamous Chinatown gangster Raymond "Shrimp Boy" Chow, whose past includes a variety of charges including racketeering and drug crimes. Targets of the early-morning raids appeared in federal court in San Francisco on Wednesday afternoon.

A 137-page criminal complaint charges a total of 26 people -- including Yee and Chow -- with a panoply of crimes, including firearms trafficking, money laundering, murder-for-hire, drug distribution, trafficking in contraband cigarettes, and honest services fraud.

Yee is charged with conspiracy to traffic in firearms without a license and to illegally import firearms, as well as six counts of scheming to defraud citizens of honest services. Each corruption count is punishable by up to 20 years in federal prison and a fine of up to $250,000, while the gun-trafficking count is punishable by up to five years and $250,000.

The charges are particularly shocking given that Yee has been among the state Senate's most outspoken advocates both of gun control and of good-government initiatives.

There's so many :psyduck: things about this I don't know where to start
- That the anti-gun advocate is specifically charged with conspiracy to traffic in firearms without a license
- That hes running for secretary of state and had a pretty good chance of winning
- That he was in league with Shrimp Boy
- That the FBI raided said gangster's den with a saw to gain access to a motherfucking safe

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_25423273/leland-yee-indicted-corruption-bay-area-fbi-state-senator
http://sfist.com/2014/03/26/oh_no_leland_yee_shrimp_boy_arreste.php

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
This is the liberal equivalent of those anti-gay congresscritters who get caught trolling for anonymous handjobs in airport bathrooms.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

JesusSinfulHands posted:

- That the anti-gun advocate is specifically charged with conspiracy to traffic in firearms without a license
- That hes running for secretary of state and had a pretty good chance of winning
- That the FBI raided said gangster's den with a saw to gain access to a motherfucking safe

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_25423273/leland-yee-indicted-corruption-bay-area-fbi-state-senator

Laws are for the little people.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

JesusSinfulHands posted:

God drat it Democrats. You're ruining a good thing!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Well, actually having a functional government and budget surplus was nice while it lasted, thanks for cocking it up Yee and co. :shepicide:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Miss-Bomarc posted:

This is the liberal equivalent of those anti-gay congresscritters who get caught trolling for anonymous handjobs in airport bathrooms.

As a lifelong democrat I regret to inform you that organized crime has always picked our side to bribe and use.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Well, actually having a functional government and budget surplus was nice while it lasted, thanks for cocking it up Yee and co. :shepicide:

I mean, there's already another State Senator already convicted of felonies that's still serving, so Yee might last for a long while.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Trabisnikof posted:

I mean, there's already another State Senator already convicted of felonies that's still serving, so Yee might last for a long while.

I meant, our supermajority is toast this fall, right?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I meant, our supermajority is toast this fall, right?

Jungle Primaries baby, most of these people are in districts where two Democrats will face each other in the general. There is no way a Republican will win in SF.

Edit: I looked it up, Yee got 79% of the vote in 2010.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 27, 2014

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

With the way housing's going in SF, maybe a lefty Democrat will take it. Fingers crossed and all that.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Trabisnikof posted:

Jungle Primaries baby, most of these people are in districts where two Democrats will face each other in the general. There is no way a Republican will win in SF.

Edit: I looked it up, Yee got 79% of the vote in 2010.

In any other state I might think the Republican machine would use him to make every other Democrat in the state guilty by association.

Luckily for the rest of us California is: A)Enormous and most people outside of the Bay Area are tired of their poo poo anyway and B)The state Republican Party is hopeless.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

Luckily for the rest of us California is: A)Enormous
That is such a huge deal. Its easy to purchase laws (and lawmakers) in North Dakota (and use them as "success" stories), but CA is is just too expensive to manage that way. (Thank god.)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Senator Leland Yee Proposes Sweeping New Privacy Law for California

quote:

Today, State Senator Leland Yee (D-San Francisco) proposed a sweeping new privacy law aimed at keeping the government from monitoring citizens too closely, or at all.
"My fellow Californians," Yee said from his Sunset District home, "government intrusion into everyone's private life has gone too far. Whether it's reading our emails to the Chinese mafia or listening in on our burner phones just prior to making a drop, it must end. The government should not be allowed to tap our phones, film us taking bribes without our knowledge, or pose as gun runners."

"Further," said Lee, "if you ask someone: 'Are you a cop?' and they are a cop, they should be legally obligated to say 'Yes.' My new bill will fix these problems for all Californians."

State Senate Bill SB664, more commonly known as the "Complete Privacy from Government Intrusion, including and especially the District Attorney's Office" bill, would also make it illegal for government agents to interview your friends, go through your financial records, or open your hidden wall safe behind the picture of former President Bill Clinton.

The new law would retroactively apply to all information gathered by the government after Jan 1, 2012.

"That, so far as I can tell, is when the government got much too intrusive," Yee said. "If we can just get a do-over to the beginning of 2012, I think all Californians would feel better."

It also contains a controversial "stop hassling Shrimp Boy" clause, which some experts suggest might be unconstitutional.

"Section 5, paragraph 8, of Senator Lee's bill requires the government to 'let Shrimp Boy take some Shrimp Boy time, and stop being all up in his business,'" said Stanford Law Professor Harold Bergson. "Paragraph 10 says police need to 'Just pretend Shrimp Boy's invisible, and that government dogs can't smell him.' Frankly I'm not sure the Fourth Amendment goes that far."

But Yee said he believes that Californians will welcome a new push for protection from government snooping, and a number of high-level office holders agree with him. California Attorney General Kamala Harris, for example, stood with Yee to condemn unnecessary government surveillance of city crime labs.

"The government has no right to spy on our government laboratories," Harris said. "I think Senator Yee's bill is a major step forward for privacy rights, and we shouldn't be asking who sold guns to whom, who snorted what when, or who covered any of it up."

"Also," she added, "I have a locked drawer in my office desk that nobody from the government better look through. It's locked, so it's private, okay?"

But not all state officials agreed. Lt. Governor Gavin Newsom held a press conference following Yee's to say that he encourages more people in the government to pay attention to him.

"I don't see it as intrusive at all," Newsom said. "My office is fully transparent, and I would very much like a member of the Obama Administration to come in, at any time. Or someone from the Governor's Office could go through my emails, and maybe make some of them public. Or the State Assembly could call for me to testify, under oath. I'm up for that. Or the Mayor of San Francisco could subpoena my diary. Or a precinct captain could ask my opinion about something. I'm available, ready by the phone, anytime the government wonders if I'm still here. Anything you want me to do. At all. Want to grab lunch? Anybody? I'll tell you about my affair."

The Gavin Newsom response is the best part.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
So these are the top 10 most boring cities in California. Is it any wonder that at least 3 cities mentioned are in the Inland Empire?
http://www.movoto.com/blog/top-ten/most-boring-places-in-california/

E:and at least 4 are in the suburbs of LA.

Okuteru fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 9, 2014

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Thats a pretty good list due to the fact all those places suck really really hard.

I've been to about half of those. (driving through them at high speeds)

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Chinatown posted:

Thats a pretty good list due to the fact all those places suck really really hard.

I've been to about half of those. (driving through them at high speeds)

I live in Hesperia. Counting the nearby cities of Victorville and Apple Valley (or as I like to call it, Western Arizona), the area becomes a ghost town with people flocking to Vegas or LA to pretend they are natives of Vegas of LA for the weekend.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Forceholy posted:

So these are the top 10 most boring cities in California. Is it any wonder that at least 3 cities mentioned are in the Inland Empire?
http://www.movoto.com/blog/top-ten/most-boring-places-in-california/

E:and at least 4 are in the suburbs of LA.

Lakewood is number 1??? They have an In-N-Out AND a bowling alley.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

bobula posted:

Lakewood is number 1??? They have an In-N-Out AND a bowling alley.

And at the very end of the article they call Irvine "thrilling" :what:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

As a San Diegan that is loving offensive to be lumped in with Irvine. Hey bruh lets go to the Spectrum and ride the ferris wheel and look at the freeways and tract housing.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

FCKGW posted:

No fair! It has Disneyland and UC Irvine and a Vastly overrated CSU (according to the students anyway) and the Ayn Rand Institute! Seeing how it's in the middle of Orange county, I'm not surprised.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Forceholy posted:

No fair! It has Disneyland and UC Irvine and a Vastly overrated CSU (according to the students anyway) and the Ayn Rand Institute! Seeing how it's in the middle of Orange county, I'm not surprised.

Disneyland isn't in Irvine.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Also the Inland Empire is great and I will defend it to my death :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FCKGW posted:

Also the Inland Empire is great and I will defend it to my death :colbert: