Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
In the season 2 review videos I thought it was pretty embarrassing how the talking dead episode after the car flip has a random celebrity ripping mazzara a new one about how Lori's car escapade made no sense.

"Wait, she left to go get Rick and Glenn to tell them that they need to find Herschel...which they are already doing? And she leaves Carl alone and goes by herself?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
Lori does not give a gently caress about Carl.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Grin and Tonic posted:

Lori does not give a gently caress about anyone but herself.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Grin and Tonic posted:

Lori does not give a gently caress about Carl.

Say what you want about Lori, at least she was responsible for killing Lori.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

xxEightxx posted:

Say what you want about Lori, at least she was responsible for killing Lori.

No, that was the baby.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

computer parts posted:

No, that was the baby.
She also pinned Mika's death on Lizzie (for those of you disappointed in all the crazy theories debunked). She's not Li'l Asskicker for nothing.

Festivus
Feb 19, 2007
Judith will be season 16's villain, calling it now.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Just got caught up on walking dead. Did a mini marathon of the past 3 episodes.

That was seriously messed up. The child actors arent the best but yeah that was one of the better episodes this show has produced. Carol rules, Tyreese rules and rest in peace girl who fed rats to zombies :(.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

If anyone wanted to watch Walking Dead but thought it was too gross and had too many swears, we're getting an edited version for syndication!

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/the-walking-dead-syndication-rights-go-to-mynetworktv-1201139343/

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Surlaw posted:

If anyone wanted to watch Walking Dead but thought it was too gross and had too many swears, we're getting an edited version for syndication!

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/the-walking-dead-syndication-rights-go-to-mynetworktv-1201139343/

The mice will be replaced by cupcakes

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

There will now be no zombies in ANY episode, period.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Urdnot Fire posted:

There will now be no zombies in ANY episode, period.

all zombie shots are replaced by people arguing on the farm. Farm extended to 3 seasons

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

No, that was the baby.

babby just snuck into the tent and squirmed up inside Lori's vagina without her noticing?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

STAC Goat posted:

I have a hard time buying some of them like Dale going for the idea in the first place but in the end the point of it was that they were behaving recklessly and stupid and Maggie, the outsider, is the only one who can see it until Glenn's close call.

I'm kind of late on this, but the problem with this explanation is that it isn't what really happened in that scene. In fact the biggest problem with that entire scene was precisely the fact that it wasn't some reckless, spur-of-the-moment thing but a supposedly thought out plan. The reckless thing would have been to just shoot it in the head like Shane suggests (at least according to the show which, while stupid, I can just ignore) and both Maggie and Andrea of all people immediately realize that it's a dumb idea. Then seven grown-rear end adults (including Dale) stand around and come up with the genius idea of lowering Glenn down to magically hook a rope around the zombie's torso. At this point someone goes and gets rope, and they rig up their lovely I-see-no-possible-downsides-to-this pulley system (which includes tying the end of the rope to a horse's saddle). Oh, this is also the point in time when they try lowering some bait and a noose down to try and "catch" the loving thing and pull it up by its loving neck apparently. Also Maggie emerging as the voice of reason doesn't really work that well when she's a)there when they come up with the plan and b)there the entire time the plan is under way, and doesn't say anything until afterwards.

Sorry, but that entire sequence has zero redeeming factors and is beyond idiotic. The premise is somehow less believable than 'zombies exist' and the execution is laughably dumb. Even if there was a good point/metaphor/symbolism behind it all, the obvious thing that immediately jumps out is that the characters are acting in a ludicrously stupid manner and doing things that no actual human being would ever do. It is, without doubt, the dumbest scene this show's ever had.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Wish they'd let that girl kill the baby instead of that other girl :(

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't watched it in forever so some of my facts may be off. So I apologize ahead of time for that.

You can behave recklessly even if you're planning it out. You can have a reckless plan. That was kind of Shane's MO and Glenn's self appointed role in the group. To do reckless poo poo that could have terrible consequences if something goes wrong. I think that was a big part of the (generally poorly executed) theme of the farm run and Shane vs Rick vs Hershel. Hershel had lost all perspective because he had been living safely and comfortably. He had no healthy fear of this world and it was bound to collapse on him in time. Shane also had lost perspective the other way. He had lived so desperately that he had become reckless and dangerous. He saw every danger as something that needed to be taken care of immediately and every resource as one that needed to be preserved desperately. Rick was often caught in the middle seeing both points and trying to bridge the gap, often reaching too far one way or another as he struggled to find a balance, but neither he nor Hershel were there for this.

So Shane and his people see the well and say "crap, we need that water so we better do something about it." Glenn sees what's happening and says "drat, that sucks but I guess I have to do it because that's what I do." Because Glenn has gotten used to doing stupid, reckless things for the group and sees it as his value. Even when it all goes to hell they don't see it as something insane they never should have tried, they just shrug as if to almost say "it was worth a try." But Maggie is mad because she can see it wasn't worth the risk. She deferred to them probably for a lot of reasons. Because she kind of respected what they had been through and the experience they had, or because she kind of knew her dad was wrong, or because Shane and them are intimidating, or because she didn't want to open the "don't kill walkers, just stick them in the barn" can of worms. But once it had all gone to hell she has no problem seeing it fully as ridiculous. But even at that point Glenn, Shane, and the rest don't seem to get it because for them it was just another day in reckless zombie world living.

That, I believe, was the point. To illustrate just how stupidly they were living, especially Glenn. I also think it was there to underscore the recklessness of Shane's leadership without Rick there but I'd have to rewatch to be sure of that. In time Maggie helps him get that he has more value than just being the stupid stunt guy. But Shane just escalates his behavior with the barn incident, his clash with Glenn, or Randall.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
What I thought made the well thing stupid right at the bat, even before the Glenn-dangling plan, was that they had absolutely no reason to assume that the zombie sitting and slowly decomposing in the well for who knows how long didn't already make the water too contaminated to drink. If they had an arguably rational reason to believe that getting the zombie out would make the water okay, then you can possibly argue that the Glenn-dangling was just reckless. But as it was, I'd say it was brainless. It was a bad scene.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

By the way I'm not really defending the scene. I agree it was pretty stupid. I'm just saying I think it had a point to it. As opposed to the Lori car crash thing which was not only stupid for the character in every conceivable way but it also undermined the character and served no real story purpose that I can remember. For all its flaws I think the well thing at least had good intentions behind its writing.

But I'm also not sure why we're dredging up bad scenes from two seasons ago. Is this what happens when the show has an episode most people liked? Hate watching withdrawal or something?

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow
I think looking at the stupidity of Season 2 provides a good contrast to how much better Season 4 is in comparison. I may not have enjoyed the last couple of episodes (except last week's, which was pretty drat good), but they are still miles ahead of Season 2.

I'm sure there are quite a few people who "hatewatch" this, but keep in mind that there are also lots of people that still really love this show, but can recognize when it's being utterly retarded.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Shane also had lost perspective the other way. He had lived so desperately that he had become reckless and dangerous. He saw every danger as something that needed to be taken care of immediately and every resource as one that needed to be preserved desperately.
Every resource except water, you mean.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Surlaw posted:

Wait wait wait... how the hell did MyNetworkTV end up being the winner of this bidding war?

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

Cardboard Box A posted:

Wait wait wait... how the hell did MyNetworkTV end up being the winner of this bidding war?

quote:

MyNetworkTV is an American television network/broadcast syndication service that is owned by the Fox Entertainment Group division of 21st Century Fox.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Regarding Glenn-in-the-well chat, if I remember correctly, there were other wells they could have used.

EDIT: I just checked and they had five wells on their property. No reason to rush to get that zombie out.

theCalamity fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 22, 2014

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I was hoping someone else with skills would do this:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

http://www.yourmoviesucks.org/2013/09/yms-walking-dead-season-1-part-1.html?m=1

The part where he calls Lori a bitch made me laugh so hard. His delivery is just perfect.

This was wonderful, and this guy really needs to do one of these for Season 3.

I need someone to explain that Michonne was wrong and Andrea was right in video format.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jamesman posted:

This was wonderful, and this guy really needs to do one of these for Season 3.

I need someone to explain that Michonne was wrong and Andrea was right in video format.

Michonne was right about the Governor though, and it probably would've been better if they went out and found an island in Florida.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's too bad that she got a case of that mysterious disease that makes it so you can't talk and have to communicate via scowls, otherwise she probably could've just told Andrea what she felt and the whole thing wouldn't have been a huge deal.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There was nothing Michonne could say to change Andrea's mind. Andrea saw the head aquarium and still stayed with the Governor.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Mu Zeta posted:

There was nothing Michonne could say to change Andrea's mind. Andrea saw the head aquarium and still stayed with the Governor.

Think of how many people would not have died if Andrea had just killed the Governor

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea but one of those people would have been Andrea so it all worked out.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Yea but one of those people would have been Andrea so it all worked out.

I could never watch any movie or tv show with her in it. She has sullied her legacy.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

moolchaba posted:

I could never watch any movie or tv show with her in it. She has sullied her legacy.

Laurie Holden doesn't really have anything to do with how her character is written. They give her a script and she makes the best of it.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

TOOT BOOT posted:

Laurie Holden doesn't really have anything to do with how her character is written. They give her a script and she makes the best of it.

Yeah, even if you had the best actor in the world, she's still be annoying.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Laurie Holden played a recurring character on the last season of The Shield and was so drat natural that I honestly didn't even realize it was her in The Walking Dead until someone pointed it out like three seasons into this show.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Laurie Holden played a recurring character on the last season of The Shield and was so drat natural that I honestly didn't even realize it was her in The Walking Dead until someone pointed it out like three seasons into this show.

I have to admit that the last time I rewatched The Shield, I went :geno: when she arrived because of Andrea. that character was so terrible it did taint her somehow a bit as an actress for me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think it's sad she was fired/left the show because the writers wrote her so drat bad that she got literal death threats. That's pretty disgusting. None of it was her fault.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Does anyone else get Holden confused with that blonde from My Name is Earl and Joe Dirt? Whenever I see her I think white trash. That, and the fact that her TWD character was so bad I'd rather not see any more of her work. (because of the taint, not sure if she's actually awful or not)

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

People unable to separate an actress from a role are legit crazy sorry dudes.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
Halle Berry was once Catwoman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Next thing you guys will be saying Skylar [sic] isn't the devil.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 23, 2014

• Locked thread