Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Imperial Aces looks a bit lacklustre when compared to this. Especially that -2 point squad card :wtc:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Because I have to complain about *something*, I'm sad they didn't put Advanced Sensors in the Rebel Aces box.

The rest of it looks rad though.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Chardaan Refit is going to be the bane of my friends :getin:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Leo Showers posted:

Imperial Aces looks a bit lacklustre when compared to this. Especially that -2 point squad card :wtc:

I was thinking that myself, pretty much everything in this box is ridiculous.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Missiles were too effective and I'm glad the opportunity cost to use them is going up :rolleyes:

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Poopy Palpy posted:

Missiles were too effective and I'm glad the opportunity cost to use them is going up :rolleyes:

Only the A-Wing is seeing a cost increse. And in exchange it makes the A-Wing much more viable to fly in a tournament list. I don't really see a problem with this! The alternative is, missiles still aren't great and nobody flys A-wings...

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Poopy Palpy posted:

It's a good thing a 12 point missile delivery system is coming out.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
It looks like the B-Wing title is the ability to take a crew upgrade from what I can make out of the text and the fact that Kyle and Jan are included in the set. Should make for some pretty interesting (and expensive) potential setups.

I really really hope that Imps get some more love soon after this or that the Defender and Phantom are great to balance the power, but I do think that A-Wings needed the buff so it's all good. I don't think B-Wings can really get better than just a basic setup with Advanced Sensors so I don't think them getting a few more options to mix things up with is going to unbalance things, I just want the A-Wing treatment for the TIE Advanced now. A -2 cost refit to remove the missile slot and a 0 point title card to give System Upgrades are at the top of my wishlist.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

smashthedean posted:

It looks like the B-Wing title is the ability to take a crew upgrade from what I can make out of the text and the fact that Kyle and Jan are included in the set. Should make for some pretty interesting (and expensive) potential setups.

I really really hope that Imps get some more love soon after this or that the Defender and Phantom are great to balance the power, but I do think that A-Wings needed the buff so it's all good. I don't think B-Wings can really get better than just a basic setup with Advanced Sensors so I don't mind them getting a few more options to mix things up with is going to unbalance things, I just want the A-Wing treatment for the TIE Advanced now. A -2 cost refit to remove the missile slot and a 0 point title card to give System Upgrades are at the top of my wishlist.

Maybe we will get a pack with a Y-Wing and a TIE Advanced :unsmith:

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

alg posted:

Maybe we will get a pack with a Y-Wing and a TIE Advanced :unsmith:

That would be really interesting, but my guess at what will happen is we'll get an Advanced packaged with whatever the Imperial Medium Transport equivalent is that will have some good upgrades just like they did the variant X-Wing.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'm going to have a random stab and say the B-Wing upgrade allows the B-Wing to take a crew card, seeing as the set comes with crew cards but no ships with the upgrade.

I think it's interesting that the Imperial Aces pack won't really move the meta, as Interceptors are still the most effective when paired with Push the Limit. Sweeping generalisations aside, I think the Rebel Aces pack will definitely affect the metagame.

e: Ninja'd

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Yeah, Imperial Aces feels a lot more like just padding when compared to the crazy changes that Rebel Aces, and hell, even the Astromech that gives EPTs to Y-Wings, are going to have on things. I guess it makes sense considering that Imperial Aces was designed ages ago, but still.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Also, Keyan Farlander looks like he might be an auto-include. Between Keyan, Jek Porkins and Tycho Celchu you can essentially have a squad which ignores stress. Interestingly, the Imperials still can only move stress by using Captain Yorr, as opposed to the swathe of stress-shedding pilots the Rebels will be able to field. Even Soontir Fel has to perform a green maneuver to remove stress. I think I'll have to use Carnor Jax/Dark Curse (again) to prevent all those extra focus tokens/rerolls which will begin to float around.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Keyan certainly looks awesome, especially with Advanced Sensors, but that 5 points between him and Dagger is killer.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I also suspect that Keyan Farlander's ability isn't affected by Carnor Jax or Dark Curse as you aren't really spending focus tokens. At 29 points it's really a no brainer. I'd pair him with Autoblasters and just run him up to the enemy, he'll likely take care of himself if he gets PtL and and you'll effectively get a good amount of shooting which also is unavoidable.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Going to the local nerdery next weekend for my first-ever official tournament.

Bringing:

Mauler Mithel + veteran instincts
Backstabber
Dark Curse
Scimitar Squad bomber + cluster missiles + prox mines
Scimitar Squad bomber + advanced protorps + proton bombs

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Received my Imperial Aces pack! :woop:

That leaves me with a total collection for Imperials of:

3 TIE-F (Base + Expansion)
3 TIE-I (Expansion + Aces)
1 TIE-A
1 Slave-1

Are TIE-B's worth it? I feel like I'm almost using Missiles/Bombs wrong, because they never seem worth the point cost to me, especially giving that they're one-use. Someone explain to me why they're so good.

Now if I pick up a B-Wing and a Rebel Aces, I'll have two of each -Wing, and lots of options available; Though I'm fairly irritated about Adv.Sensors in the Lambda and the new X-Wing in the Transport pack, 'gating' certain cards (especially in limited quantities) behind purchases like that is kind of disrespectful to the player base by FFG.

E: I'm fairly set on using Carnor Jax (to deny them Focus/Evade) to enable Turr Phennir/Opportunist (Gain Stress to get additional Attack Dice if they don't have Focus/Evade, which triggers Turr's free Focus from stress) in a list together, because that sounds deeply fun, and I'm a sucker for TIE-I's.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 21, 2014

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The TIE Bombers can be good, but I really think they need Captain Jonus for the rerolls. I don't have that much luck running one or two, I'll usually run 3x Scimitar SQ. and Jonus, but I think other posters have better strategy in regards to one or two bombers in a squad. Missiles and Torpedoes are good because I don't think they trigger an extra defense die at range 3, also they have different effects like an AoE for Assault Missiles. I generally don't find that either of the Torpedoes are worth it on the TIE Bomber, so I'll usually take an Assault Missile and a Seismic Charge for my Scimitar Pilots and either Cluster or Concussion Missiles and a Proton Bomb for Jonus.

I think your also confusing Turr Phennir with Soontir Fel, but your strategy still is flawed. Carnor Jax only prevents enemy ships from spending a focus or evade token, not neutralising it. Soontir Fel would be shooting pretty close to first with PS 9, which makes it very likely your target will still have a focus/evade and it'll all but guaranteed with Carnor Jax in the picture. Ideally if you have to use Opportunist you'd want to slap it on a Saber SQ. Pilot or something down the lower bracket of PS, so by the time they get to shoot there is a chance you can trigger Opportunist.

All in all Push the Limit is ~the~ definitive EPT for TIE Interceptors in my opinion. Notable exceptions to this rule might be Turr Phennir and Tetran Cowell. I think pairing up Soontir Fel and Carnor Jax is really interesting, but what you suggested might not be as effective as you are hoping.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Leo Showers posted:

Carnor Jax only prevents enemy ships from spending a focus or evade token, not neutralising it.
A lot of accurate points, and it might not be as good as I'm hoping but Carnor also prevents them taking the Action to gain Focus/Evade; So unless they'd already gotten the Token through some other mechanism, they can't gain one either.

Leo Showers posted:

Missiles and Torpedoes are good because I don't think they trigger an extra defense die at range 3, also they have different effects like an AoE for Assault Missiles.
They don't trigger extra defence dice, what?

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 21, 2014

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Shockeh posted:

They don't trigger extra defence dice, what?

The range 1/3 bonus attack/defense die is only for primary weapon attacks.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

The range 1/3 bonus attack/defense die is only for primary weapon attacks.

I see soooo many people get this wrong. :/ Secondary weapons become a lot better when you realize that.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

alg posted:

I see soooo many people get this wrong. :/ Secondary weapons become a lot better when you realize that.

I was one of the people getting it wrong. That's a direct nerf by comparison to the Ion Turret too though, isn't it.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
http://www.gametrademagazine.com/Home/1/1/58/591?articleID=146109

More Wave 4 spoilers. Defender has a white K-turn, Phantom gets +2 agility when cloaked but can't attack (and can decloak when you activate them), Lt. Blount in the Z-95s attacks always count as hitting, even when you do no damage, and the R7 astromech allows you to force an attacker to reroll attack dice if you have a lock on them.

Nice to see some of the stuff I've tested finally being public!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

white k-turn :stare:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm glad Lt. Blount is included. He was my favorite rebel scout from the card game.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It sounds like the advanced cloaking device upgrade lets you cloak after firing, which would let you get up to some shenanigans.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

So many exciting new mechanics coming up! This is really going to change the shape of the game, and give a refresher from the TIE swarm and B-wing/Sensors lists.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Shockeh posted:

A lot of accurate points, and it might not be as good as I'm hoping but Carnor also prevents them taking the Action to gain Focus/Evade; So unless they'd already gotten the Token through some other mechanism, they can't gain one either.

The last problem I see with it is that because Jax is PS8, he'll likely be moving next to last so unless the enemy ships are closing in you still will probably be unable to prevent them from taking an action. Mind you Jax is currently my favorite pilot because seriously gently caress Rebels.

e: I know that it's great that we saw the white K-turn coming, but at this point Keyan Farlander (and Jek Porkins to an extent) has while K-Turns too so :shrug:

I don't know what I was expecting with the TIE Phantom, but 4 defense die probably won't stop incoming shots.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 21, 2014

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4713

Well this sounds interesting. I kind of like the alternate list building rules to make the squads fit campaign/faction theme.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
Tarn Mison + R7 Astromech = Force all incoming attacks to re-roll as needed. Pretty nice, esp. without costing an action.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I am really liking the Rebel Transport pack now that we've found out more about the campaign, it really is almost a game unto itself. Personally I think I'm just going to trust a massive Alpha Squadron TIE Interceptor swarm with only one or two named pilots per mission.

I knew having a shitload of Interceptors would pay off one day.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Leo Showers posted:

I am really liking the Rebel Transport pack now that we've found out more about the campaign, it really is almost a game unto itself. Personally I think I'm just going to trust a massive Alpha Squadron TIE Interceptor swarm with only one or two named pilots per mission.

I knew having a shitload of Interceptors would pay off one day.

I'm pretty excited as well. It really seems like a great way to play a simplified campaign. I'm hoping there are rules/guidelines for varying point limits for the campaign games or running multiple squads per faction. It'd be pretty cool to get a bunch of friends together to run through the campaign with folks running different squads.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Just had to upgrade to a bigger Plano...I was already pushed to the limit and I literally have no home for my fancy red Interceptors. This game is a money pit...but a drat fun one.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Played my first game of X Wing today!

It was against a 2 Falcon list :negative:

The guy was actually pretty cool and helped me learn the rules. He was apologetic about that being my intro into the game, as that was what he'd brought with him that day. His friends gave him some friendly grief over being "that guy." Even though I did a really good imitation of bumper cars with my ships in the middle of the asteroid field and didn't kill either Falcon, I never thought I couldn't win a game if I just piloted better then I'd have a chance.

This game is a lot of fun!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Two YT-1300 lists sound absolutely horrifying, I haven't had the displeasure to face one but drat. The big thing for me is that the YT-1300 nullifies a large part of Imperial strategy, which is superior mobility to stay out of firing arcs. I still have trouble with Falcons if I'm not expecting it.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

I cant wait for two YT-1300 lists to be bad. The only people that play them are people that want to win and can't fly a hard list. They aren't fun to fly, they aren't fun to play against and it takes zero skill to fly around the edge of the board for 75 minutes.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Leo Showers posted:

I know that it's great that we saw the white K-turn coming, but at this point Keyan Farlander (and Jek Porkins to an extent) has while K-Turns too so :shrug:

Are you allowed to use Farlander's ability if you don't roll any eyeball results?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Fetterkey posted:

Are you allowed to use Farlander's ability if you don't roll any eyeball results?

Yes, because I believe Garven Dreis can do a similar thing and spend the focus token even if it will not affect dice in order to trigger his ability. The following is from the FAQ and Errata

quote:

Q: Can Garven Dreis spend a focus token
to modify dice even if he didn’t roll any [focus]
symbols?
A: Yes.

Keyan Farlander's ability looks like it works in the same way. As long as you only rack up one stress token, you really shouldn't have a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Flew in my first real tournament today at one of my FLGSs. Wasn't the store championship, but instead part of the 2014 season. Not sure what that means, other than that the promos were Jendon, Dagger Sq, and a card box for the winner. 8 players (maybe 10?).

I ran:
Soontir Fel, PtL, Shield Upgrade
Howlrunner
Academy Pilot x4

First match was up against a Bloody Dagger variation- 2 Daggers w/ Adv Sensors, Biggs, Rookie.
This guy just had rotten luck all day and my dice were pretty hot. We started in opposite corners and I broke for the center pretty quick. I managed to get Soontir around behind his ships and really jammed up his ships pretty badly. He managed to down 2 Academy Pilots and Howlrunner, but I put a hurting on him and the game ended with his last remaining Dagger down to a single hull point and the remainder of my fleet about to pour all our red dice into him. He conceded.

Match #2 was against a pretty interesting list- Chewie with Draw Their Fire, Biggs w/ Shield Upgrade and R2D2 and Roark with an ion turret. I got pretty badly stomped, thanks in no small part to my own bad play- I ran through asteroids like every other turn. Managed to kill Biggs and knock two shields off Chewie, but it wasn't really ever close. He went 3-0 to win the tournament, so all told, I'm not too ashamed to have lost to him- but it sucks to feel like I gave him a big leg up by flying poorly.

Final match was against one of the other 1-1 guys. He was also running a mini-TIE Swarm type of list- 1 Black Squadron Pilot, Howlrunner w/ Swarm Tactics, 2 Alpha Squadron Pilots, and Soontir Fel w/ Push the Limit. This was probably the most pleasant match of the tournament for me. My opponent was a really nice guy who took his defeat(and some of the bad luck that led to it) with a smile. He lined up in a staggered line across from my TIE Fighter block. My Soontir was split out to the right, on a diagonal path in to where I expect the furball to develop. He collapsed his line into a block with some neat maneuvering and we crunched near the center of the board. He managed to drop my Howlrunner pretty early, but I promptly returned the favor. Then, rather than K-Turning my Academies out of the clinch, I went hard left, and followed with my Soontir- which gave me a long range 3 shot on his Soontir. I managed to get 2h and 1c on him, he evaded 1h, but pulled a Direct Hit. At that point, I was able to circle around with my TIEs to get on the 6 of his Alphas, and I lit him up, losing (in total) 2 Academy Pilots and Howlrunner.

We did 3 rounds and I came in 3rd, after both my match 2 opponent and the guy he beat in his third match.

All in all, a really fun afternoon. The other store I frequent is doing a full store championship tomorrow, so I'm thinking I'm going to take this same list, now that I'm feeling pretty comfortable with it.

• Locked thread