Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
I almost gave up until I applied the update. Holy poo poo it makes it so much nicer and easier to use. Playing through the tutorial, but this game seems well worth 15 bucks with all the scenarios. I like the AP system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I'm going to be eating ramen, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on C:MANO

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
If there are any questions you might have about Command; I'd love to answer them.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I cited my sources and all he said was, "owned owned owned owned owned"
Why do missions give me helicopters loaded with troops and or cargo? They don't appear to do anything useful.

Not CMNAO related, for other people: what does Combat Mission have over GT Operation Star other than legible documentation/GUI elements/the west front?

Tatrakrad fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 20, 2014

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Tatrakrad posted:

Not CMNAO related, for other people: what does Combat Mission have over GT Operation Star other than legible documentation/GUI elements/the west front?

I was wondering this as well. Once I've got something aside from my phone to run it, I was wondering if if it was worth picking up. I really do love putting together my own forces in Combat Mission, and Operation Star looks like a much cheaper way to get my fix of that

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Tatrakrad posted:

Why do missions give me helicopters loaded with troops and or cargo? They don't appear to do anything useful.

Yeah they don't do anything useful. Cargo/passenger A/C don't have a purpose in Command, unless they have a role in a scenario. Eg, extracting people from an embassy or dropping paratroopers.

My favorite use of a cargo A/C I've found so far is launching a minuteman ICBM.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tatrakrad posted:

Worst thing about opstar is Fredrik Wester (:argh:)of Paradox took away the awesome 'Achtung Panzer' name.

Opstar's biggest asset is that it gives you a kind of campaign to play around with, depending on how you go in certain battles will lead to different battles in other areas of the map.

This unfortunately is one of its biggest weaknesses though as you have little control over what forces turn up for each battle. In one battle you may just have some infantry who run into a panzer division. In another you might be sitting around with some tanks and no one else turns up at all. At least with CM, you know every map has an equal number of points on both sides ready to duke it out. (Although some people would say opstar's model is better as it's more atmospheric. Also, it has cool night battles).

That said, I certainly had fun playing it - I think there was a Nomonhan expansion coming out for it that I wanted to try, but I went looking for it the other day and couldn't find it.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Do the newer Graviteam Tactics games make the map a bit... denser? I found out an old bundle I bought had Kharkov 43, and it is fun and runs on my shitbox comp, but the largest battles I have seen are 3 platoons against three platoons. It is fun, but I mostly play it because I can and the new Combat Missions don't run on my computer.

Also, even though the scale is different from Steel Panthers, I really like the Campaign Series. It plays kind of like SP:WAW, but doesn't run like garbage on Windows 7.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Baloogan posted:

If there are any questions you might have about Command; I'd love to answer them.

You're a huge nerd and your videos made me buy Command and I strongly hate myself for carefully making scenarios of Soviet Saboteurs in Iceland engaging the SAS and kill me

E: Where can I get a custom layer of Minneapolis? My plan of a Russian strike on the International Airport won't work till I solve that

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 21, 2014

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Top Hats Monthly posted:

You're a huge nerd and your videos made me buy Command and I strongly hate myself for carefully making scenarios of Soviet Saboteurs in Iceland engaging the SAS and kill me

E: Where can I get a custom layer of Minneapolis? My plan of a Russian strike on the International Airport won't work till I solve that

That's crazy talk, everyone knows they'd strike the Mall of America. It's got America right in the name! If anyone hits the airport it's going to be Twin Cities residents angry that we have to put up with Delta having a hub here.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Oh god I am a huge nerd.

This tool here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3530108 which I've modified for use with command can let you make overlays of anything anywhere.

I got a tutorial video here on how to use gmap and how to add the overlays to command:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY9SGBLtyN8

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I just noticed (and probably shouldn't be surprised) that Matrix still offers download times for 56k. For Command that's nearly 100 hours of downloadable fun!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I just noticed (and probably shouldn't be surprised) that Matrix still offers download times for 56k. For Command that's nearly 100 hours of downloadable fun!

We seriously need a :matrixgames:

A cross between :homebrew: and :spergin:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
In WiTE as a beginner should I start every turn with using the AI to run recon missions until it runs out or do I just do it once? And should I then bomb airbases or save the planes for interdiction?

Also, someone post any helpful WiTE tutorials. All I've managed to beat is The Road to Leningrad and even that was a mess.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 21, 2014

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In WiTE as a beginner should I start every turn with using the AI to run recon missions until it runs out or do I just do it once? And should I then bomb airbases or save the planes for interdiction?

Also, someone post any helpful WiTE tutorials. All I've managed to beat is The Road to Leningrad and even that was a mess.

Gradenko has a good tutorial written up, but check out http://lparchive.org/War-in-the-East and http://lparchive.org/War-in-the-East-Don-to-the-Danube/

It took me a good 4 or 5 tries at a GC to get it to click. Now I can play against the AI and feel like it goes well on either side. Still suck at MP though.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Chump Farts posted:

Gradenko has a good tutorial written up, but check out http://lparchive.org/War-in-the-East and http://lparchive.org/War-in-the-East-Don-to-the-Danube/

It took me a good 4 or 5 tries at a GC to get it to click. Now I can play against the AI and feel like it goes well on either side. Still suck at MP though.

Oh I've read through GH's LP several times but where can I find Gradenko's?

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh I've read through GH's LP several times but where can I find Gradenko's?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543909&userid=168081#post414692399

He links to it there I believe.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Recon: You can let the AI do one pass, then do manual right-clicks in critical places, critical places being where you're going to drive your Panzers through to see what lies ahead and how deep the defensive lines might be, as well as units you plan on attacking so you don't get surprised by inaccurate CV counts. The highest 'detection level' you can gain from aerial recon is capped at I think 5 (out of 10) or something so you won't get the full picture until you actually launch your attack, but it should allow you to avoid blundering into some hidden lopsided battles.

The air war is a clusterfuck so you can do whatever you want there and I doubt it'd make that much of a difference, but I wrote a guide to it in the very first page of this thread.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Recon: You can let the AI do one pass, then do manual right-clicks in critical places, critical places being where you're going to drive your Panzers through to see what lies ahead and how deep the defensive lines might be, as well as units you plan on attacking so you don't get surprised by inaccurate CV counts. The highest 'detection level' you can gain from aerial recon is capped at I think 5 (out of 10) or something so you won't get the full picture until you actually launch your attack, but it should allow you to avoid blundering into some hidden lopsided battles.

The air war is a clusterfuck so you can do whatever you want there and I doubt it'd make that much of a difference, but I wrote a guide to it in the very first page of this thread.

This is exactly what I do. Let the AI do one pass to fill in the general outline and then you can go back and run more recon in areas you want more detail. Be careful of this in MP since a human opponent could look at the pattern of your recon to figure out what you're planning.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

:ughh: and it's quoting an old post I made from a year ago asking the very same thing.

So what's the point of HQ units having thousands of troops and tanks and equipment if you can't use them in combat?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 22, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
As a general tip for Combat Mission: Always try to get a lucky direct-fire mortar shot you didn't order to hit your enemy's CO's kubelwagon that you don't even know you hit two minutes into the battle.

God I love this game. In a different game against the same goon I got a one-in-a-million mortar directly down his turned-out tank battalion's CO's tank and caused a catastrophic failure.

God I love this game. I am the mortar god!

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

As a general tip for Combat Mission: Always try to get a lucky direct-fire mortar shot you didn't order to hit your enemy's CO's kubelwagon that you don't even know you hit two minutes into the battle.

God I love this game. In a different game against the same goon I got a one-in-a-million mortar directly down his turned-out tank battalion's CO's tank and caused a catastrophic failure.

God I love this game. I am the mortar god!

As another general tip for Combat Mission: your enemy's on-map mortars make noise on the map even if you don't get sound contacts, so you can figure out roughly where they are during the turn replay. Send them a couple of tank shells for shits/giggles/revenge.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Turn 11 in the WitE GC. I am 1 hex from Moscow, 1 from Dnepropetrovsk, and have severed the rail line to Leningrad. Problem is, I've only killed off 1.6 million Russians. Is the land worth it, or am I supremely hosed for not focusing more on murder?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Chump Farts posted:

Turn 11 in the WitE GC. I am 1 hex from Moscow, 1 from Dnepropetrovsk, and have severed the rail line to Leningrad. Problem is, I've only killed off 1.6 million Russians. Is the land worth it, or am I supremely hosed for not focusing more on murder?

Killed or casualties? 1.6 million killed would be incredible but 1.6 million PoW/casualties is going to make for an extremely exciting winter for you.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

uPen posted:

Killed or casualties? 1.6 million killed would be incredible but 1.6 million PoW/casualties is going to make for an extremely exciting winter for you.

Casualties. I've gone space over bodies and the closer I get to winter and the redder the indicators for AGC get, the more I think I'll have a very short stay in Moscow.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Just taking it is huge because you burn all the rail capacity/factories.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

uPen posted:

Just taking it is huge because you burn all the rail capacity/factories.

Yup, sounds like you want to take Moscow, burn everything you can get your hands on and then leg it back to safer lands before the tidal wave of russians washes over you.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is it possible to get a decisive victory before the first winter if you are really good at the game? Not counting exploits.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Nope. The earliest possible sudden death check is Apr 1942, and triggering a victory outside sudden death would require something like reaching all the way to Stalingrad in the south and Tambov in the center. That's not possible even if all you had to do was move that far.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

gradenko_2000 posted:

Nope. The earliest possible sudden death check is Apr 1942, and triggering a victory outside sudden death would require something like reaching all the way to Stalingrad in the south and Tambov in the center. That's not possible even if all you had to do was move that far.

Clearly we need faster tanks.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Neruz posted:

Clearly we need faster tanks.

Faster rail repair units.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

uPen posted:

Faster rail repair units.

Railless Trains!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Neruz posted:

Railless Trains!

My god...

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm not about to drop $75 on another grog game, but if I'm going to try the demo for one of the Combat Mission games, which should it be? Fortress Italy I assume, since it's the newest released game?

Dekko
May 23, 2007

Drone posted:

I'm not about to drop $75 on another grog game, but if I'm going to try the demo for one of the Combat Mission games, which should it be? Fortress Italy I assume, since it's the newest released game?

The Market Garden add-on for Battle for Normandy is the most recently released title (and has the engine upgrade) but I think the Normandy demo is still based off the old engine, so if you want to get a more up to date feel for the game then Fortress Italy might be your best bet. That said, aside from a couple of UI changes and some under the hood stuff there isn't a vast difference between the two versions, so if the north west europe theatre interests you more, go for that.

I'm not as much of a grog as some (I own one Command Ops game, which I suck at, and all the CMs), mainly because of the prices, but I think if you like the demo you should absolutely invest in the games. I've sunk hundreds of hours into CM over the years, and I literally only ever play the campaigns - I've never even touched the single missions or quick battles and I've played like 3 multiplayer battles ever - I feel like I've got value for money despite only touching something like 50% of the content.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Literally in a week or two we're expecting them to release Red Thunder, the Eastern Front game. Get that one.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Drone posted:

Red Thunder will be $55 and is coming out sometime in April.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

uPen posted:

Red Thunder will be $55 and is coming out sometime in April.

My literal first thought was, "ONLY $55! gently caress YEAH!"

God drat you this hobby.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

My literal first thought was, "ONLY $55! gently caress YEAH!"

God drat you this hobby.

Is it a stand alone game? Because if it is, it might actually be competitive now that the standard for modern new games is $60 USD. If it isn't, of course, it's still rather high as an expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
That's the CM price point. Base game is 55 (65 for physical) while the 75+ you see for other modules is base game plus expansion(s).