Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
games where fighting dragons is fun and interesting: dragon's dogma, monster hunter

elfgames where fighting dragons is fun and interesting:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i would play a duck in an rpg

not a former bird though, that's just retarded

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
4e style battlegrid dragon needs to have a big token and facing, so you can be behind it or on its left side or etc, and the direction you attack from determines what you hit. hit it from one of its sides enough to cripple a wing and stop it flying, etc

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ferrinus posted:

4e style battlegrid dragon needs to have a big token and facing, so you can be behind it or on its left side or etc, and the direction you attack from determines what you hit. hit it from one of its sides enough to cripple a wing and stop it flying, etc
Off the top of my head I can't think of a single fictional example of fighting a dragon (or similarly sized creature) which doesn't heavily feature targeted attacks. Wailing away at something four times your side is what the peasants do before they get mooshed in the opening scene/chapter.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 22, 2014

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Splicer posted:

Off the top of my head I can't think of a single fictional example of fighting a dragon (or similarly sized creature) which doesn't heavily feature targeted attacks. Wailing away at something four times your side is what the peasants do before they get mooshed.

even vegeta aimed his destructo disk at the oozaru's tail

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

if you take loving lotr the only thing that managed to kill smaug was hitting his weak scale with a loving harpoon.

dunno why not just shoot his eyes out tho

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Plutonis posted:

if you take loving lotr the only thing that managed to kill smaug was hitting his weak scale with a loving harpoon.

dragons have an indestructible nicitating membrane

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Plutonis posted:

I have made a small diagram of Smaug's face.

(eyeball) (thing that shoots loving napalm) (other eyeball)

Good luck with that.

Also he might blink so...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

i would play a duck in an rpg

not a former bird though, that's just retarded

Then play one of the RPs set in Glorantha, because it has an official duck race and they're all depressed as hell.

It's what King of Dragon Pass is based on.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

mythology has a great record of heroes just poking out monster's eyes, such as when odysseus poked out polyphemus' eye like the evil rear end in a top hat he is

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

corn in the bible posted:

Then play one of the RPs set in Glorantha, because it has an official duck race and they're all depressed as hell.

It's what King of Dragon Pass is based on.
I always get the names for Glorantha and Golarion mixed up.

Plutonis posted:

mythology has a great record of heroes just poking out monster's eyes, such as when odysseus poked out polyphemus' eye like the evil rear end in a top hat he is
Oh yeah, no, poking out eyes of giant things in general is mythic as all hell, it's just Smaug specifically we're saying would gently caress you up for trying.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Plutonis posted:

to be fair, polyphemus's defining character trait was "has one eye". even the heroes of myth and legend must respect the time-honored boss with a glowing weak point

smaug's just happened to be on his chest

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Attorney at Funk posted:

also in a game where all meaningful gameplay is tied up in fighting and killing things with swords, like d&d, everything should be interesting to fight and kill with swords

I had like 3 diplomancers in my Black Crusade campaign :<

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
okay, get this blistering system innovation: social combat

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Why don't we just give dragons more HP? Problem solved.

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Ferrinus posted:

okay, get this blistering system innovation: social combat

It'll probably end up as bad as skill challenges, but anything that makes it an unwieldy pain in the rear end for my players to negotiate with every monster or order NPCs to kill it for them sounds cool to me.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

LSTB posted:

It'll probably end up as bad as skill challenges, but anything that makes it an unwieldy pain in the rear end for my players to negotiate with every monster or order NPCs to kill it for them sounds cool to me.

the exalted social combat is really good and not convoluted at all

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Plutonis posted:

the exalted social combat is really good and not convoluted at all

Aren't 0-level Exalted NPCs literally incapable of even scratching anyone with plot armor? Why would you ever negotiate with one?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

LSTB posted:

Aren't 0-level Exalted NPCs literally incapable of even scratching anyone with plot armor? Why would you ever negotiate with one?

you'd never negotiate with one because it might cost you the willpower points you need to activate your precious perfect defenses

this is 2e, though, there's a chance 3e's social influence system is actually good

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

LSTB posted:

I had like 3 diplomancers in my Black Crusade campaign :<

I love having fights like once every ten sessions or w/e, rather than games where combat is a presumed primary conflict resolution system

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Attorney at Funk posted:

I love having fights like once every ten sessions or w/e, rather than games where combat is a presumed primary conflict resolution system

I would love them, if those sessions had the same crunch as combat, rather than a series of pass/fail checks (or worse yet, freeform RP).

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

you'd never negotiate with one because it might cost you the willpower points you need to activate your precious perfect defenses

this is 2e, though, there's a chance 3e's social influence system is actually good

what kind of scrub takes PD charms that cost willpower?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

LSTB posted:

I would love them, if those sessions had the same crunch as combat, rather than a series of pass/fail checks (or worse yet, freeform RP).

I would generally prefer combat was as fast to resolve and abstract as social interaction is

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I super duper am not interested in having xcom or fft breaks in the middle of my pretend

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Have they made an XCom RPG that works like a one player one character Necromunda yet.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

fft loving owns and i'd play the poo poo out of a game based on it though

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Plutonis posted:

Signed.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Plutonis posted:

http://ninjaweazel.wikispaces.com/file/view/Final+Fantasy+RPG+3e.pdf

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Plutonis posted:

I love fft I just don't wanna play multiplayer fft where I'm responsible for character development etc

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

that was really the thing that turned me off of double cross moreso than the stupid encroach mechanic. it's so insanely fiddly and elaborate and there's so many flavorless powers you have to stitch together into combos based on the precise timing rules and the various intersections with the resolution mechanism. feh, feh, epic unstoppable feh to all of that

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

for a second i thought it was the lovely returners rpg or the mediocre one that GiTP made (i play a game of it on irc)

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I just wanted to be the anime high school class president who also hovered nine inches in the air and had glowing red eyes + crackling gravity orbs etc

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

:o

01011001 posted:

thank god someone is.

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

Plutonis posted:

hell yeah.

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

I'll be the ==========Fast Hero

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

yeah and where is the unlimited saga tabletop game?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Attorney at Funk posted:

I just wanted to be the anime high school class president who also hovered nine inches in the air and had glowing red eyes + crackling gravity orbs etc

http://atarashigames.wordpress.com/teachers-lounge/panty-explosion-perfect/

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Plutonis posted:

this plus a 4e online table with fft presentation

anime dragonborn all walking in place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Only if they get a Japanese artist to fix the whole godawful Dragonborn aesthetic.

• Locked thread