Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein is the guy who shrugs when he has to rebuild half of a house, and knocks it (alone!) out in a tiny fraction of the time that it takes an entire crew of day laborers.

We're not sure if he's human, or robot. All we know is he's called The Stig.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Mar 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
So continues my engine mount adventure. Looks like I hosed up worse than I thought, the threads in all 3 holes are damaged & the bolts go tight less than halfway down. The one hole on its own is probably the worst of the three, I could get a tap square on to each hole but I need an extension to reach down past the timing cover/fuel rail etc. If any Midlands goons are reading & know where I can get an M10x1.25 tap and extension I'd by mighty grateful right now. :suicide:

P.S. please ignore my car's various types of incontenance, that diesel's weeping from a leak-off pipe not the high pressure side.

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 21, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Into don't mean to swing on your nuts or anything but how in the hell do you manage to do what you do? I feel like I've achieved something when I change my own brakes. I stand back to flex and kiss my biceps after an oil change.

What you just described sounds like a year long project to me.

Plenty of experience with this drivetrain/chassis helps a lot (I can pretty much grab the right size socket or tool for a task without even thinking about it, and know exactly what I need to do next at any given point, so I can think 2-3 steps in advance and work as fast as possible.) Other than that, way too much energy, I don't really do anything halfway, it's all or nothing, drat the torpedoes, full speed ahead.

If I tried to do the same thing to any other make/model it would end in disaster because I have no idea what I'm doing with other cars.

As for what I did to my ride, well very late last night I fixed the driveshaft vibration and horrible transfer case noises by removing the rubber gasket under the rear output yoke nut and replacing it with a giant gob of RTV, then torquing the motherfuck out of the nut. It survived my 140 mile round trip home without coming loose... first time that has happened, the first two times it came loose by the time I got back to work. So I'm going to call that problem solved.

kastein fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 21, 2014

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Decided to swap out cabin filters this morning.

Guess the PO never changed it :iiam:

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

2002 Dodge Ram. My door weighs upwards of 200 pounds.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Devyl posted:

Decided to swap out cabin filters this morning.

I'm going to attempt this on the E36. No idea if it's been done before. I ordered one from amazon when I got some oil filters and have only feared what's involved from reading the post reactions of others who have done the task on their own car.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

That's good enough for me. Just keep preaching the gospel. I always enjoy seeing what you're up to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just wrapped up the interior reinstall after my little flooding issue on the Miata. The carpeting shrunk a tiny bit and I'd busted a few of the 2-piece rivets but it went pretty smoothly and took less than an hour all told.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

jammyozzy posted:

So continues my engine mount adventure. Looks like I hosed up worse than I thought, the threads in all 3 holes are damaged & the bolts go tight less than halfway down. The one hole on its own is probably the worst of the three, I could get a tap square on to each hole but I need an extension to reach down past the timing cover/fuel rail etc. If any Midlands goons are reading & know where I can get an M10x1.25 tap and extension I'd by mighty grateful right now. :suicide:

P.S. please ignore my car's various types of incontenance, that diesel's weeping from a leak-off pipe not the high pressure side.

I've ordered single taps from http://www.tapdie.com/ before. Whenever I have rung for a single tap they have tried to send me a single unit out as a demo for free as they usually deal with large quantity orders! ( and I have had to convince them to charge me and send it next day as it has always been a last minute emergency!)

Is 10*1.25 not one of the standard thread taps as in the sets (like halfords and machinemart sell?) I'm sure my cheap set has one in.

Will something like a 1/4 or 3/8 extension bar fit on the end of a tap (backwards)? Or just buy a tap and weld to it for this job! I had to retap a spark plug on my saab and used a tap taped to a reversed 1/2 extension to get into the recessed hole...

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968
can you not fit a socket on the end of the tap, and then use the extension bar?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I actually went to these guys in the end: http://www.drill-service.co.uk/index.asp because they sell extensions, I think even a 1/4" drive extension will be too big to grip the end of an M10 tap. Also turns out it's M10 x 1.5, good thing I checked that instead of just eye-balling it. :downs:

When this doesn't work you'll get to see babies first ever Helicoil fitting without an entire machine shop to work in. :shobon:

*E* Probably not, the drive part of the tap is apparently 5.5mm square and I can't imagine how you'd make a regular hex socket fit on it. Plus I've already hosed up, the proper tools aren't expensive and I don't wanna make it worse by half-assing the repair.

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 22, 2014

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I'm going to attempt this on the E36. No idea if it's been done before. I ordered one from amazon when I got some oil filters and have only feared what's involved from reading the post reactions of others who have done the task on their own car.

It's usually one of the more annoying things to do on other cars I've owned but this one only took a trim kickpanel, 6 easily-visible screws, and a bulb plug. Took longer to find one of the screws that fell between the carpet and the body than the whole disassembly/reassembly. I was pretty surprised.

Next issue though is the passenger side seat. One of the motors is starting to bind up when it moves forward and backward.

:sigh:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

jammyozzy posted:

I actually went to these guys in the end: http://www.drill-service.co.uk/index.asp because they sell extensions, I think even a 1/4" drive extension will be too big to grip the end of an M10 tap. Also turns out it's M10 x 1.5, good thing I checked that instead of just eye-balling it. :downs:

When this doesn't work you'll get to see babies first ever Helicoil fitting without an entire machine shop to work in. :shobon:

*E* Probably not, the drive part of the tap is apparently 5.5mm square and I can't imagine how you'd make a regular hex socket fit on it. Plus I've already hosed up, the proper tools aren't expensive and I don't wanna make it worse by half-assing the repair.

If you get 12 point sockets, you can usually find one that will fit on the end of it pretty snug.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Popped in a new alternator to solve my charging woes. A quick and painless procedure. I'll never stop loving how easy it is to work on this car.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Devyl posted:

It's usually one of the more annoying things to do on other cars I've owned but this one only took a trim kickpanel, 6 easily-visible screws, and a bulb plug. Took longer to find one of the screws that fell between the carpet and the body than the whole disassembly/reassembly. I was

The Mazda6 is dead easy, open glove box, pinch sides to let it fall down, open door to cabin filter, pull, install new filter, reverse process. A one minute job and they are cheap filters (like $15)

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Exact same procedure on my Fit and it's wonderful. My Impala's procedure was, if I'm remembering correctly, to pop the hood, pull back the weather stripping on the passenger side, remove a plastic fastener, pull off the trim below the windshield, and fish out the filter. Bit more effort but still only 5 minutes at most and only tool required is a quarter or big flat screw driver for the fastener.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Summer tires were put back on, and I replaced the big heavy things inside of them. Now you have a better look at my rusty calipers.

Sorry about the bad cloning and burning done here, I was just trying to get rid of a big ugly finger.

edit: For reference, my old wheels

Cage fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 22, 2014

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I installed a trailer hitch and a cargo carrier on my Jeep Cherokee.
This vehicle is so much smaller than my old Ford Escape.

Now I can do dump runs and small landscaping jobs around my house.
No more putting dirty disgusting things inside my new ride.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
I've always liked those wheels on mustangs.

Got the master cylinder to reservoir connector in the master cylinder and hooked it up to the reservoir in the 325i.

Not sure if I should hook up the slave cylinder and bleed it next then install the transmission or vice versa. Probably doesn't make a difference... Or does it?

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

iForge posted:

Replaced the bushings in one of my door hinges today. Will do the other one when the parts come in.

Old next to new:

:negative:

:barf:

Yesterday after work I picked up the other bushing kit I ordered so I could rebuild the other hinge. The bushings on the lower hinge were as bad, if not worse than the ones pictured above. Totally poo poo.

I had hoped that my junkyard hinges would work for me until I got my original ones rebuilt but that didn't work out, so I have been riding around all week with my drivers door taped shut to keep the rain out and have been climbing in and out the passenger side. My truck is a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500, the junkyard hinges came off a 2005 with the same body style, but are slightly larger. The door mounted and shut, but the hinge side stuck out too far and the door gaskets didn't seal at all.

So: Lets remove a door and set it aside! I couldn't get my big rear end hands in to disconnect the door's wiring harness inside the bulkhead, so I had to remove the door trim, water shield, and disconnect everything so I could pull the harness through the hole in the door. Taking a picture of the door with the plastic liner removed really helped me in putting the harness back without having to remember which hole each plastic clip snapped into.

The vehicle was painted after the hinges were put on and the door hung properly, so putting my hinges back on, all I had to do was line up the spots with missing paint to the hinges and washers for the bolts! The plan was to remove the front fender so that once the hinges were tight on the door, I could shut the door and line up where the hinges mount to the bulkhead. Remove headlight assembly, battery tray, and fender liner and 8 bolts and the fender comes off.

Used 2 bottle jacks under the door while it was closed to get the alignment just right and tightened the hinges down to the bulkhead. After some minor adjustment the door shut and opened like brand new, so installation is now the reverse of removal. Took about 4 hours from start to finish, including rebuilding the hinges. Had to remove them from the vehicle because the hinge pin ends were riveted over and are splined on one end, so I had to grind then mount them in the vise and hammer the pins out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Re-enabled the AC on my Jetta for the impending Georgia summer, one of the pins in the clutch wiring worked itself loose. Simply fixed the retainer, plugged the pin back in, and walla! Frozen air!

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

DropShadow posted:

Impulse bought a set of 20" wheels, so now I need to sell at least one set of 19s. Wife is starting to notice the stacks of wheels in the garage are increasing.

things have gotten out of hand

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Changed the oil, air filter, cabin filter, and rotated the tires on the CR-V today. I do love the Maintenance Minder on this thing, I got just shy of 10k on this oil change. Other than that, I'm also loving how little time I have to spend keeping the boring-mobile running :v:

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:
Completed air ride install at 3:30AM Sunday. Took 2 days, 4 hours first day, about 14 hours second day. One of my friends that helped with the install is in the drivers seat. 8 gallon tank, 2 large compressors, 8 3/8" ASCO valves, and all Slam Specialties SS7 bags. Full FBSS control.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
My truck's alarm fob wouldn't unlock it, so I used the door key and there was no electrical power. It was early morning and I was getting prepped for a trip in the car where I needed my tire inflator out of the truck, so I decided to deal with the problem later and just look for the compressor. I found it in the back seat, still plugged in to the accessory outlet from when I used it over two weeks ago, but the last couple days was the first long period I had gone without driving since then. :doh:

I tried to jump it but my lovely cables wouldn't send enough juice to crank the engine all the way. I parked it too far away from the house to reach a charger outlet, so I removed the battery and brought it inside but then I couldn't find my charger. Now it's time to take it to autozone.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

There's no light in the back of these Subarus, so I installed some Hella warm white courtesy lights.

See new light compared to stock at the bottom.

Full album
http://imgur.com/a/VyVTd

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005
I drove the poo poo out of it. :)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The mighty AX4S finally poo poo 1st gear. :smith:

225,000 miles. You will be missed 1999 Taurus.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

There's no light in the back of these Subarus, so I installed some Hella warm white courtesy lights.

See new light compared to stock at the bottom.

Full album
http://imgur.com/a/VyVTd

Oh drat that's a good idea. I've been missing that light on my TS, which never came with it or a rear 12V source. I bet the wiring is still there.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
I built it a Car House.

Well, I framed it a Car House. Building things takes a long time. We made 12' walls, because it seemed like a good idea at the time. 12 feet is a long drat way up, though, especially tomorrow when we have to hoist the roof trusses up there. Still, when it's done I should have all kinds of overhead storage, not to mention enough clearance for a lift if I ever feel like putting one in.

Wrap, sheathing/siding, roof, door, electrics (there's already a 60 amp run out there,) paint, benches, shelving, sink, and we're done. At this rate, in about a month. If it had 8 foot walls we'd probably have had the sucker under roof by now. Bah.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I would literally murder homeless people for my own roomy detached garage.

Make more posts as it comes along!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Replaced the drivers-side door lock actuator in my RAV4. The locking system in there is a drat Rube Goldberg machine.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Chinatown posted:

This, and I'd even settle for just a shed with room to store my bike and work on it.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
A couple Sundays ago I drained and filled the manual transmission on my pickup. The old fluid was a brown sludge. Now I don't have weird issues and it is shifting better.

Next up on the list for minor stuff is to change the oil to something more appropriate for the approaching spring/summer and get back to spraying black primer on areas that need it.

Then for more major stuff I'm going to get a new O2 sensor and see if I can figure out how to put the emissions system back to how it was before someone ripped out the O2 sensor cable and plugged all the vacuum lines with wood screws.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Chinatown posted:

Roof trusses came in today! Fortunately my garage building mentor had the spectacularly good idea of building the loft BEFORE we hoist up the roof trusses, thus giving us someplace to stand other than on a ladder leaning on a wall with nothing in particular supporting the top.

Plan is to put the loft at about 7' off the floor and supporting it with 4x4s bolted to the pad. Like a deck, mostly for storage, but I'm going to carve out a little project area for my son up there with a trapdoor and rope for entry.

I'll probably run it the floor a little higher over the big door and use allthread to mount it to the roof trusses there. Behind the door (back right corner, looking at the picture) it'll be open, so there will be around 14'x11' of full-height space there.

Think I might epoxy the floor while I'm at it, I like the way that looks.

Rap Songs From Anime
Aug 15, 2007

I spent several hours across yesterday and today tearing apart the intake and fuel rails on my car's engine to replace a single failed fuel injector o-ring. So happy to have that done, thing has been sitting for a few months waiting for nice weather and me to stop being lazy. Living where I can walk to most places I want to go certainly takes the urgency out of dealing with car poo poo.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I did a bunch of stuff the hard way because i'm dumb.

Trying to get a non-running forklift into my garage. I tried pushing, i tried pulling, at one point i had to drag it sideways with the bmw to get the truck out of the garage. I ended up having to shuffle the Subaru around by hand like a 3000lb hockey puck. Luckily it has a shopping cart handle. Then i dragged the forklift out of the alley with the truck, then had to wiggle the truck out of the garage.

Then when i went to put the truck away, none of the windows would go back up. A quick google suggested poo poo wiring that can't handle -45*C inside the door boot. I peeled it back, and sure enough, the ground broke and fried the casing on all the little wires

So i had to re-wire it well enough to get the windows shut in a cramped space with the door boot constantly trying to get in the loving way. I just hacked everything together with butt connectors, once it warms up i'll get in there and fix it properly.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 25, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Do yourself a favor when you do that right and don't put any splices inside the boot or even within a few inches of it in the door and A-pillar.

If you do, they will break again fairly quickly.

(gently caress you Chrysler for teaching me this by putting splices for the door speakers inside the flex boot)

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

kastein posted:

Do yourself a favor when you do that right and don't put any splices inside the boot or even within a few inches of it in the door and A-pillar.

If you do, they will break again fairly quickly.

(gently caress you Chrysler for teaching me this by putting splices for the door speakers inside the flex boot)

Had to do that on my XJ as well. Can confirm chrysler sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Are you telling me that a North American auto manufacturer in Michigan was unaware of the concept of it gets loving cold?