Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Ravane posted:

I've never actually read comic books but thanks for the info. If Harley Quinn appears in the green arrow universe, do deathstroke, slade wilson, and deadshot, etc appear in the Batman comics?

Fun fact: Deathstroke once beat Batman single handedly in a one-on-one fight. Not many comic book villains can make that same claim. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

And then it was Cupid for some reason.

I hope the show stays away from her.

The show is mining quite a bit from Winnick's run, specifically the post OYL stuff.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
I first saw Deathstroke on the previous Teen Titans cartoon, he was their arch nemesis. Glad to hear he's been co-opted into GA's nemesis, much better than Merlyn.

And if you haven't played Arkham Origins and seen how amazing he was in that game, look up some videos on YouTube because his design, acting and boss battle were fantastic and I'm pretty sure directly inspired Arrow's Deathstroke design.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

But now, Slade is the actual Deathstroke, so Wintergreen is just a dead ASUS merc.

Not to pick on you (I saw this a couple of times), but it's actually http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Secret_Intelligence_Service

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Maybe Wintergreen did part-time work for a mid-range PC and tablet manufacturer, you don't know! :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The show is mining quite a bit from Winnick's run, specifically the post OYL stuff.

Yeah well if I see Everyman, I'm out of here.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Bird Law posted:

I first saw Deathstroke on the previous Teen Titans cartoon, he was their arch nemesis. Glad to hear he's been co-opted into GA's nemesis, much better than Merlyn.ga
That was my first exposure to him too. I really like Ron Perlman's Slade.

quote:

And if you haven't played Arkham Origins and seen how amazing he was in that game, look up some videos on YouTube because his design, acting and boss battle were fantastic and I'm pretty sure directly inspired Arrow's Deathstroke design.
His design was great, but that boss fight was a gigantic pain in the rear end. It was one incredibly long quicktime event.

devoir posted:

Not to pick on you (I saw this a couple of times), but it's actually http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Secret_Intelligence_Service
Oh, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah well if I see Everyman, I'm out of here.

We still have to get Laurel into fishnets first.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I want there to be an episode of this show that just tries to cram in as many of the most terrible things about recent GA comics as they can. Say hello to Cloud Sniper.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrianWilly posted:

I want there to be an episode of this show that just tries to cram in as many of the most terrible things about recent GA comics as they can. Say hello to Cloud Sniper.

Ugh, those terrible triplets.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

That was a misdirect. They had the guy looking and acting like the comic Deathstroke and had Slade stab him in the eye that the comic Deathstroke is missing.

One of the things this show has done is toy with people's expectations. For example Thea's nickname being Speedy and apparently having some archery experience/trophies to make us think she was going to be GA's sidekick then giving us Roy Harper.

Jury is still out on Black Canary.

So yeah they were psyching us out with Wintergreen setting him up to be Deathstroke.

Also, comic chat: Someone mentioned that Deathstroke was a street level villain, which in his new run is the perception he is trying to correct because it's affecting the job offers he gets. He goes out of his way to be destructive with a high body count. Dude is a beast and its nice he's getting more attention.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

We still have to get Laurel into fishnets first.

Just have to take her to a party.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Blackchamber posted:

Jury is still out on Black Canary.

Wait, I thought Sarah was the Canary? She even talks about canaries to her dad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ravane posted:

Wait, I thought Sarah was the Canary? She even talks about canaries to her dad.

No, she's just here to die tragically and inspire Laurel to put on the costume.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also Laurel as Black Canary is a little different than Deathstroke and Merlyn and those kinds of things because the information comes from outside the show.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Also Laurel as Black Canary is a little different than Deathstroke and Merlyn and those kinds of things because the information comes from outside the show.

I don't know how much stock I put in what even the show producer's have said about Black Canary. Felicity went from small role to central character because the fans love her. I wouldn't put it past them to cave and keep Sara since everyone likes her more than triangle face.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nah, they're not going to change that one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I laid this out months ago. Laurel will find out about Sarah's secret ID and later one of those sonic discs Sarah used is going to explode and give Laurel the "Canary Cry" power. Then Sarah dies and Laurel takes up the costume.

And somewhere decides it's totally not gross or creepy to start banging Ollie again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I hope they handle the part where she accidentally ingests the disc well.

(Has Sara used one of those since her debut?)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

She used one when her mom got kidnapped.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I don't know why people are so beholden to the idea of Laurel as Canary when we already have Sarah as Canary here & now. I don't doubt that the show runners might do it, obviously, I just think it's such a mistake to be making things Like In The Comics when that just flat out isn't what this show is built for. Hell, that's the reason the comics are so crappy right now, they want to be something they aren't.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sara being around is part of Laurel becoming Canary.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

HitTheTargets posted:

I don't know why people are so beholden to the idea of Laurel as Canary when we already have Sarah as Canary here & now. I don't doubt that the show runners might do it, obviously, I just think it's such a mistake to be making things Like In The Comics when that just flat out isn't what this show is built for. Hell, that's the reason the comics are so crappy right now, they want to be something they aren't.

The writers basically said that Laurel becoming Canary was going to happen.

This was before the season actually started, though, so plans absolutely can change (see: Felicity in S1)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HitTheTargets posted:

"I'm not that easy to kill".

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Evidence why they need to switch the characters.

Katie Cassidy ‏@MzKatieCassidy 8h
Taking these bitches out tonight!!! #russo @katemansi http://instagram.com/p/l0R0pKlS9e/

vs

Caity Lotz ‏@caitylotz Mar 18
Watching Star Wars in my trailer.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

Evidence why they need to switch the characters.

Katie Cassidy ‏@MzKatieCassidy 8h
Taking these bitches out tonight!!! #russo @katemansi http://instagram.com/p/l0R0pKlS9e/

vs

Caity Lotz ‏@caitylotz Mar 18
Watching Star Wars in my trailer.

I think you proved the opposite. Caity sounding better and better.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
that was my intent... of course.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Blackchamber posted:

I think you proved the opposite. Caity sounding better and better.

Shoes are way better than Star Wars.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Uh, clearly nobody on set likes Caity if she had to watch a 30 year old movie in her trailer.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Pfft, she was probably watching the prequels. :colbert:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
How dare you Sir.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

bunnyofdoom posted:

Deadshot started out as a Batman villain IIRC

They've used/mentioned quite a few villains associated primarily with Batman. Ra's Al Ghul/The League of Assassins, Harley Quinn (although she's just a cameo) and Firefly are all considered part of Batman's rogue's gallery. There have obviously been storylines where they interact with others but if you had to assign those four to one character/group's rogue's gallery it would clearly be Batman's.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I just feel compelled to mention to Arrow fans w/out the comic book background to read the Teen Titans trade The Judas Contract by Marv Wolfman and George Perez. Ot has the full background of Slade Wilson's comic book origins and a very detailed and nuanced history as a character up to that point in time. If a fraction of that could be carried over into Arrow we'd be very ecstatic fans.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Watching Arrow with Oliver's ominous way he says "Slade" reminds me of the Teen Titans cartoon and the way Robin would say it.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
The thing with Deathstroke is that he's kinda been tossed about the DCU, especially with the last decade where he got popular again (very likely in part due to the Teen Titans cartoon). Its had both its boons and its downsides, since on the one hand, when written well, he's a good counterpart for a lot of characters really, and is really easy to excuse into most storylines - he's a merc and all, so all someone needs is to pay him. On the other, when written badly, he's basically a villainous version of Bat-God, and that gets tired really fast in most cases.

Honestly, though, a lot of Green Arrow's bigger villains are either archers (which you can only do so many of before it becomes stale), have been co-opted from other heroes, or have been taken from him. Grundy is probably the most notable people think of when it comes to his superpowered foes, due to a story arc where basically Grundy decided to take a nap in the Arrow Cave and didn't take kindly to being woken up. But before that, Grundy was a Green Lantern villain. Not Hal Jordan and his lot either, but golden age Alan Scott. Seriously, cast transition in the DCU can get weird.

That said, Grundy as a villain for Green Arrow would... actually in a way work more on Arrow than it has in other media. Because one thing that Ollie has done a lot of if and when he needs to (or just generally prefers), is kill his enemies. But Grundy, being a super strong undead guy and all, wouldn't be put off by lethal methods. It would force Ollie to think further on how to take him down, rather than just a well aimed shot or two to the chest.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Every superhero page on Wikipedia has a section at the bottom with supporting characters, related characters, notable enemies, etc. Here's Green Arrow's.

quote:

Enemies

Brick
China White
Clock King
Constantine Drakon
Count Vertigo
Cupid
Deathstroke
Merlyn
Onomatopoeia
Rainbow Archer

They've actually done most of them already. Brick is a bit redundant but can be done, Rainbow Archer is another archer, and Cupid would probably be a whole season herself.

Apparently they already tried to do Onomatopoeia in season 1, but they realized he wouldn't work outside of print. They changed him to a generic hitman instead.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
The hitman played by J. August Richards, Mr. Blank, was originally Onomatopoeia.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

His gimmick, for people who haven't read the comic is that he only talks in sound effects. Like "bang" and "snap" and "drip" aka a thing that wouldn't work on a TV show.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
For TV they could make him talk only in famous cliche TV quotes "woah", "Newman!", "bazinga!", "Half mercy!","did I do that?", "Eyyyyyyyyyy", "Ay carumba!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Aphrodite posted:

Every superhero page on Wikipedia has a section at the bottom with supporting characters, related characters, notable enemies, etc. Here's Green Arrow's.

... "Cupid?" I'm intrigued.

edit: I take that back after reading her synopsis, it's nowhere near as silly as I imagined it'd be.

Krad fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 22, 2014

• Locked thread