Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

Intruder posted:

Guess it's Clowney, the Texans just signed Fitzpatrick :smug:

:ughh:

I'm not completely sold that it's Clowney at #1. Fitz's deal has no gtd money on the second year, and O'Brien might believe there is a QB that he can groom under his system. Keenum and Yates are on the roster still as well so he might take a guy to have him compete with all 4, and if he doesn't win out, then we've still got a band-aid on the position for half or all of the season if need be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

b0ng posted:

I'm not completely sold that it's Clowney at #1. Fitz's deal has no gtd money on the second year, and O'Brien might believe there is a QB that he can groom under his system. Keenum and Yates are on the roster still as well so he might take a guy to have him compete with all 4, and if he doesn't win out, then we've still got a band-aid on the position for half or all of the season if need be.

We can get the new guy after round 1. :getin: Seriously, though, when was the last time a guy taken a 1-1 sat out the first year? Genuinely curious.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bhsman posted:

We can get the new guy after round 1. :getin: Seriously, though, when was the last time a guy taken a 1-1 sat out the first year? Genuinely curious.

Eli was close until Warner had a problem with holding on to the ball for five seconds. Plus Warner only wanted to play for the Giants on the condition that he got to play the year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

b0ng posted:

I was joking, obviously no team is going to sign Fitz at this point in time and say QB problems solved

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

bhsman posted:

Mike Glennon started half the year (As was mentioned in my post about the band-aid being for a full or half season). The rookie wouldn't have to sit out the entire year, but to me, this move makes me think he likes somebody that I do not like (Bortles).

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Carson Palmer was the last one

edit: and before Carson Palmer was technically Randy Duncan, who was drafted #1 overall by the Packers in 1959 and ditched them for Canadian football because the British Columbia Lions offered him more money.

Zypher fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 21, 2014

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

PrinceRandom posted:

He's aggressive and a team-player! :eng101:

Intangibles are looking good for this piece of crap.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

b0ng posted:

Mike Glennon started half the year (As was mentioned in my post about the band-aid being for a full or half season). The rookie wouldn't have to sit out the entire year, but to me, this move makes me think he likes somebody that I do not like (Bortles).

Glennon was drafted in the 4th, though.

Intruder posted:

I was joking, obviously no team is going to sign Fitz at this point in time and say QB problems solved

Not long-term, anyways. Him having no guaranteed money after year one is telling.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 21, 2014

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Also Glennon wouldn't have started if Freeman hadn't completely imploded

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

swickles posted:

As terrible as the NCAA is at giving out fair punishments, I don't think Manziel was a case of being white. It was a case of "we think he might have done something wrong but have no proof or any way of proving it but we are going to suspend him anyway". Its less about race and more about school and ability. Cam Newton was cleared after a 20 minute investigation whereas a 2nd string OL will be in limbo for a full season.

Great points, especially about Cam! I guess they're just madly inconsistent about punishing players?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

John Brown posted:

Great points, especially about Cam! I guess they're just madly inconsistent about punishing players?

"Madly inconsistent" will carved on the NCAA's tombstone.

Butthead
May 31, 2011
Manziel's "suspension" wasn't the typically suspension. It only happened because he agreed to it with the understanding that the NCAA would stop harassing him about the allegations unless new evidence came out that proved he was guilty. He didn't have to accept the suspension because the NCAA had no proof, but it made his life easier to do it.

Nately
Oct 1, 2002

The age demanded an image / Of its accelerated grimace
Ryan Fitzpatrick is an excellent backup and a great guy to work with a young QB. Don't think that signing tells us much but, if anything, it pushes me more into the Texans-drafting-a-QB camp.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Butthead posted:

Manziel's "suspension" wasn't the typically suspension. It only happened because he agreed to it with the understanding that the NCAA would stop harassing him about the allegations unless new evidence came out that proved he was guilty. He didn't have to accept the suspension because the NCAA had no proof, but it made his life easier to do it.

Well, thats exactly the point. How many people have the NCAA offered such a plea bargain to? And how many of those people aren't Heisman winners or prominent players on high profile teams?

If Manziel was a 2nd string LB or played at Texas State instead of A&M he would still be under investigation and not eligible to play.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Nately posted:

Ryan Fitzpatrick is an excellent backup and a great guy to work with a young QB. Don't think that signing tells us much but, if anything, it pushes me more into the Texans-drafting-a-QB camp.

Question is whether it'll be in the first or not.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

bhsman posted:

Question is whether it'll be in the first or not.

It's the same off-season story as the Vikings. They re-signed Cassel, but no one here thinks he's the face of the future. Grab a guy with some experience who isn't Curtis Painter-bad and can help acclimate the first year QB. It's not a question of if they draft QB, just which round(s).

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

They're gonna take Jeff Mathews so they can have an Ivy League QB duo

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Call of Cholula posted:

A piece of poo poo continues to be a piece of poo poo.
I hope Miamis line is Albert, Incognito, Pouncey, X, Lewan :pcgaming:

for real though

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Call of Cholula posted:

Hasn't he been posting photo shops of himself in lots of teams' jerseys? Reading these posts makes me wonder how we keep forgetting the dark Millen years of less than a decade ago.

The Lions have spent a 1st or 2nd on a passing threat like 7 times in the past 10 years it's still nuts to me. They need pass rushers and secondary help - the receiver corps is fine.
It's really not. Right now the WR depth chart is:

1. Megatron
2. Golden Tate
3. *crickets*

I would prefer if they went secondary in the first round (Dennard or Gilbert) and drafted one of the many good-looking receivers in the second, but it's hard to pass up the idea of Watkins if he falls to them.

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

Henchman of Santa posted:

1. Megatron
2. Golden Tate
3. *crickets*

I would prefer if they went secondary in the first round (Dennard or Gilbert) and drafted one of the many good-looking receivers in the second, but it's hard to pass up the idea of Watkins if he falls to them.

Yeah, I mean, if we're talking about filling needs, I would do something else in the 1st and bank on the insanely deep crop of receivers this year. Their 2nd-rounder could be Donte Moncrief or Jordan Matthews and that would still be ridiculous paired with Megatron and Tate.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

1. Megatron
2. Golden Tate
3. *crickets*

I guess I should've clarified but its not just wide receivers in the receiving game. The receivers are CJ, Tate, Durham, Durham, Ogletree, and Broyles. They've also got an extremely good TE in Pettigrew, even though everyone seems to hate him. They've got two good-to-great pass catching RBs in Bush and Bell. They've got one of the most expensive QBs in the league who has passed for almost 15,000 yards in the past three years.

The Lions cannot afford to keep throwing first and second round picks at Wide Receivers. Watkins looks great, sure, but I'd rather them try to trade out if he falls to them to be completely honest. Which he won't, anyhow.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Did Pettigrew actually become "really good" last season? I haven't seen him play much.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He was injured a lot but he cut down on his drop rate. He's a solid tight end but I would hesitate to call him "extremely" anything.

Call of Cholula posted:

The Lions cannot afford to keep throwing first and second round picks at Wide Receivers. Watkins looks great, sure, but I'd rather them try to trade out if he falls to them to be completely honest. Which he won't, anyhow.
I'm curious as to why you think they can't afford to keep throwing picks at receivers but wouldn't have a problem with them taking another pass rusher (if I'm reading your earlier post correctly). They've spent three of their last four top picks on the defensive line, getting all good players, but it's done gently caress all to help the tire fire in the secondary.

Even with Bush, Megatron, Bell, Pettigrew and others the offense would routinely sputter out last year if one of the first two was put in check. Just having a decent player in the form of Jordan Matthews/Allen Robinson/Odell Beckham or whoever would alleviate some of those issues.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 22, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Who the gently caress is writing at Rotoworld now

Rotoworld posted:

Vikings GM Rick Spielman and OC Norv Turner attended Fresno State QB Derek Carr's pro day and scheduled an upcoming private workout with San Jose State's David Fales.

It was once thought that Carr would slip into the top half of the second round, but the Vikings would probably have to pull the trigger on him at No. 8 to be comfortable. Carr's ridiculous arm strength will act as a push-up bra and heels for QB-needy decision-makers on Draft Day, and the result may be a well-intentioned overdraft.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I wish more sports journalism would include cross dressing.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Teams will be tricked into drafting Carr worse than sex tourists in Thailand

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
how can i work in my hatred of women into this brief football prospect writeup

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

No Butt Stuff posted:

I wish more sports journalism would include cross dressing.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

He was injured a lot but he cut down on his drop rate. He's a solid tight end but I would hesitate to call him "extremely" anything.
I'm curious as to why you think they can't afford to keep throwing picks at receivers but wouldn't have a problem with them taking another pass rusher (if I'm reading your earlier post correctly). They've spent three of their last four top picks on the defensive line, getting all good players, but it's done gently caress all to help the tire fire in the secondary.

Even with Bush, Megatron, Bell, Pettigrew and others the offense would routinely sputter out last year if one of the first two was put in check. Just having a decent player in the form of Jordan Matthews/Allen Robinson/Odell Beckham or whoever would alleviate some of those issues.

This is a non issue cause Watkins will not fall to Detroit, but if he somehow did they should take him and not look back ever.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Comfortador posted:

This is a non issue cause Watkins will not fall to Detroit, but if he somehow did they should take him and not look back ever.

I assume this is true of everyone out of the like the top 8 or so.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 22, 2014

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Marketing New Brain posted:

Teams will be tricked into drafting Carr worse than sex tourists in Thailand

I once overheard a fascinating conversation between a Thai man and an ex Marines special forces guy about how to spot a ladyboy in Thailand. Marine said you look for boobs that are too nice and Thai guy said that you look out for manly legs, cause that's an extremely expensive and painful operation so people normally skip it. I can't vouch for ether's accuracy, as I've never been to Thailand, but I pass this down to you.

Carr ain't fooling nobody.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

I once overheard a fascinating conversation between a Thai man and an ex Marines special forces guy about how to spot a ladyboy in Thailand. Marine said you look for boobs that are too nice and Thai guy said that you look out for manly legs, cause that's an extremely expensive and painful operation so people normally skip it. I can't vouch for ether's accuracy, as I've never been to Thailand, but I pass this down to you.

Yeah I don't know who the Bengals are drafting either.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

Carr ain't fooling nobody.

I think the easiest way is just to check and see if they have a penis.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Since I keep seeing him mocked to the Giants, is ebron really worth a pick at 12? I know he's not the greatest blocker in the world, so for a te to go that high he'd basically need to project to be Jimmy Graham, right?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
More like Vernon Davis.

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

For what it's worth, I'm not convinced that it would be worth it for Green Bay to take Ebron @ 21. I only actually watched him play in three games, though.

v No, I didn't. I only watched 2013 film. He looks good, but not good enough to take at 12 from what I can tell.

smuggler fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 23, 2014

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

smuggler posted:

For what it's worth, I'm not convinced that it would be worth it for Green Bay to take Ebron @ 21. I only actually watched him play in three games, though.

Did you watch him against Miami?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
He can make circus catches but has concentration drops. Ebron's main positive attribute is his speed as a tight end. That's why all the comparisons to Vernon Davis. I don't want the ravens to take him because I'd rather have better blocking tight end that could work as a red zone target such as Niklas or ASJ but that is only because we have that hybrid receiver TE roll filled by Pitta.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Menamino posted:

Since I keep seeing him mocked to the Giants, is ebron really worth a pick at 12? I know he's not the greatest blocker in the world, so for a te to go that high he'd basically need to project to be Jimmy Graham, right?

Ebron is a slot WR parading as a TE. North Carolina didn't ask him to block. He also has an awful drop rate due to how he catches the ball. I don't think he's worth a first round pick and would be pretty happy if Amaro, Niklas, or ASJ was taken in the second instead. Giants need to BPA their #12 pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'd really like to see ASJ fall to Baltimore in the second but with New York, Buffalo and Tampa Bay picking before us that seems real unlikely. Besides, our FO would probably ignore him in favor of Kouandjio or some other crap lineman just to make me sad.

• Locked thread