Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boring
Nov 29, 2004

nuhhh
anyone have any experience selling mtgo tix for money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Boring posted:

anyone have any experience selling mtgo tix for money?

Check with the trading/selling thread in SAMart, I've seen stuff like that go down there before. I don't have any personal experience though.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

What a Judas posted:

Comparing them to alters is actually perfect; that's what I would consider them to be, too. They obviously aren't for you, so instead of saying you'd pay a fraction of what a given card is worth, you should simply say you wouldn't buy them to begin with. :)

Except that's not true. I'd honestly pay a bit more for an intentionally miscut card than what I'd pay for a proxy, like what BaronVonVaderham makes, as it's legal for tournament use, and I'd pay a premium over what a near mint version of the same card is worth for an accidentally miscut card, just as I would pay a premium for a certain stamp, but in the end, when buying an intentionally miscut card, it's no different than buying an altered card. If I need the card for my deck, and I had no other option, I'd buy it, but for as little as I could get away with paying for it.

Boring
Nov 29, 2004

nuhhh

Olothreutes posted:

Check with the trading/selling thread in SAMart, I've seen stuff like that go down there before. I don't have any personal experience though.

thanks!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tharizdun posted:

I noticed Serendib Efreet has been printed three times and never had art re-used. What is the most a card has been reprinted with new art each time?

basic land, probably

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

What a Judas posted:

I like miscuts for their aesthetic, rather than their origin. I don't particularly care if they're hand cut, so long as they're playable.

Comparing them to alters is actually perfect; that's what I would consider them to be, too. They obviously aren't for you, so instead of saying you'd pay a fraction of what a given card is worth, you should simply say you wouldn't buy them to begin with. :)

For what it's worth, I disagree with the analysis regarding Rage of Purphoros. Rather, he's right; it does wheel pretty often, and it most definitely should not. It's one of the best removal spells in the format, and I would consider seeing it mid pack one a reasonable sign that I could snag some more good red spells.

Word! I really like the card and it did a lot of work for me at the botg per release event. I think I would have done better in R/x just based on the other red stuff I passed.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
On GP Richmond weekend all the even-somewhat-serious players were out of town at that and I went to FNM and we only just managed to scrape together 8 of the crappier players including myself. So imagine my surprise when I looked at the final card of pack 2 to see Lash of the Whip. I actually turned it over and said "what the gently caress are you guys doing?" (I wasn't in black) and at least 3 people said "that card costs too much to be any good."

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I think last I checked Giant Growth had the most unique arts.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Going to a GPT tomorrow, need to sort a deck list. Is there a tool online I can enter it all into and print out in the DCI format, before I print one and write it in by hand?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Going to a GPT tomorrow, need to sort a deck list. Is there a tool online I can enter it all into and print out in the DCI format, before I print one and write it in by hand?

deckstats -> deck tools -> download deck sheet.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Elyv posted:

basic land, probably

but basic lands have been reprinted with the same art several times. What's the card that's been reprinted the most, with new art each time?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Also there are some player-made custom-field Javascript PDF decklist files out there in Google land, if that's what you're thinking of.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I ran 4-0 last night with mono-red aggrovotion, but it ran a little weird. I lost the first game of each round except the first, always to mana flood. I then sideboarded out two or three mountains, Ash Zealots and Stormbreath Dragons, and sideboarded in my Burning Earths and Mizzium Mortars, and easily won afterwards. My favorite game was the one where my opponent, running an RWB deck with 16 dual color lands and a few other basics, was stuck at three life, while I had 2 Burning Earths out. He asked if I had a lightning strike, as he ended his turn. I said no, and he settled back in his chair, thinking he had another shot, as I drew, and cast Fanatic of Mogis.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

This is a useful tool, you can safely ignore all the Russian text. http://www.mtg.ru/decks/registration-sheet.phtml

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Tharizdun posted:

I noticed Serendib Efreet has been printed three times and never had art re-used. What is the most a card has been reprinted with new art each time?

Conversely, what card has been printed the most with the fewest unique arts? If you don't count special promo versions, Fireball has like 16-18 printings with only two arts. The text has changed far more often than the art :v:

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Nibble posted:

Conversely, what card has been printed the most with the fewest unique arts? If you don't count special promo versions, Fireball has like 16-18 printings with only two arts. The text has changed far more often than the art :v:

Pacifism's gotta be up there too.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nibble posted:

I could have sworn there was a printing where the Cost was RXY where Y was the number of targets but maybe that was another spell? Or I missed it in the list, that could have happened too.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
If I'm looking to get playsets of commons from recent sets, what's the best way to go about this?

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.

forbidden lesbian posted:

I could have sworn there was a printing where the Cost was RXY where Y was the number of targets but maybe that was another spell? Or I missed it in the list, that could have happened too.

Beatdown Box Set has the XY Fireball.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
My job is taking me out of Rockford, IL, a complete dead zone in every respect, to Austin, Texas in a few months. This has me excited for a lot of reasons, including finding cool places to play Magic. Does anyone from around there know the good stores? I have a weird work schedule, so I'd prefer knowing the shops that host stuff besides FNM.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

Aranan posted:

If I'm looking to get playsets of commons from recent sets, what's the best way to go about this?

I would go to your LGS and dig through cards. My LGS has boxes and boxes full of commons/uncommons that they sell for almost nothing. I'm assuming your store does the same.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rollie the Guar posted:

Beatdown Box Set has the XY Fireball.

Oh yeah, thanks. I've always loved that printing, y is such an under-utilized variable.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

I present the card that unifies the Serendib Efreet and XY Fireball discussion threads:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
My friend is 5-0 currently at SCG LA and just beat Forrest Mead. He texted me saying the dude was an rear end in a top hat. I can't remember, does Forrest have that kind of reputation?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Aranan posted:

I pre-ordered my botg play set of C and UC cards for about $31 shipped off eBay.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Oh cool, another one of my friends, Alan Mai, is on stream right now.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
I'm confused, how did the UW player Quicken Supreme Verdict with 4 lands on the table? I feel like I've missed something.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

AegisP posted:

I'm confused, how did the UW player Quicken Supreme Verdict with 4 lands on the table? I feel like I've missed something.

He floated a white in response to the sylvan primordial ETB trigger.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's fun watching this match, because I remember the night Alan saw another buddy of mine playing a RUG Devotion deck he brewed, and Alan going, "This deck is sweet, I'm gonna copy that."

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

qbert posted:

Oh cool, another one of my friends, Alan Mai, is on stream right now.

His deck is pretty sweet.

Oh uh, I guess I agree with your friend lol.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

qbert posted:

It's fun watching this match, because I remember the night Alan saw another buddy of mine playing a RUG Devotion deck he brewed, and Alan going, "This deck is sweet, I'm gonna copy that."

I played the straight RG version (basically Makihito Mihara's PT Theros deck) for a while and games like that weren't terribly uncommon. You could routinely get 4+-for-oned and it wouldn't matter at all.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Well that was awesome.

I don't understand these U/W players who refuse to consider Celestial Flare in their sideboard. Practically every variant of Green decks right now bring in 4 Mistcutters post-board.

Edit: poo poo, so many people I know are at this Open. I should've bit the bullet and gone. Now Matt Chung's on stream, who I play with all the time at my LGS.

qbert fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 23, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

qbert posted:

Well that was awesome.

I don't understand these U/W players who refuse to consider Celestial Flare in their sideboard. Practically every variant of Green decks right now bring in 4 Mistcutters post-board.

Edit: poo poo, so many people I know are at this Open. I should've bit the bullet and gone. Now Matt Chung's on stream, who I play with all the time at my LGS.
How long has he been on Mono Black? Agreed with Celestial Flare in the sideboard or even maindeck. Flare is really only bad against a few aggro decks where they'll just sac their weakest creature. Against a lot of other decks there will be times they swing with 1 giant creature and fall right into the trap. At worst you teach them to swing with mana dorks and that can interrupt their mana curve.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Korak posted:

How long has he been on Mono Black?

No longer than 2-3 weeks. For the longest time he had an all-foil Esper control deck (yes, even the Mutavaults).

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

The March Hare posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/tweeternal_witness

Streaming some cube provided the beta client doesn't eat poo poo mid draft again.

Think I resolved my video issues, doing this again because every time I don't stream I always win off a mulligan to 2.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

qbert posted:

No longer than 2-3 weeks. For the longest time he had an all-foil Esper control deck (yes, even the Mutavaults).
I feel sorry for him in this game 3. :(

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

Korak posted:

I feel sorry for him in this game 3. :(

Yeah that was disappointing. Mono blue irritates the poo poo out of me. I'm hoping it doesn't top 8 so more people aren't encouraged to play it.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Froehlich's win alongside Ochoa's means the two players sit at a combined 15-1 with the deck heading into the final round, positioning the variant for a strong run in Day 2.

So EFro designed a non-pack rat Rakdos Midrange deck that is apparently doing really well at GP Cincinnati. No deck list yet but sounds pretty stock other than lack of rats.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

qbert posted:

In case they don't get to doing the deck tech do you have his 75? That list might get me to sleeve up Nykthos again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Shavnir posted:

In case they don't get to doing the deck tech do you have his 75? That list might get me to sleeve up Nykthos again.

Don't have his list on me but I can certainly ask him for it the next time I see him (probably sometime next week).

I mean, with how many cards he drew Game 1, you pretty much saw 90% of his deck, and I think the commentators mentioned his sideboard between games, so you can just find that spot on the stream.

• Locked thread