Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

RandomPauI posted:

This plane is adorable, its like someone strapped prop engines to an A-6.

It can* fly too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xai2FkYhC3s

*not really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Don't think it's over. We're going to have 2-3 more weeks wrapping up.

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Phantom is such an rear end in a top hat :allears:.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Phantom is such an rear end in a top hat :allears:.

I hope he had that line planned out and he's just been waiting for one of them to apologize this entire time.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm liking this Phantom plot a lot more now that I'm pretty sure Phantom being a smarmy jackass and loving every second of it is completely intentional on the writer's part.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

dismas posted:

One place! He didn't want to apply to the other one because he got caught shoplifting there as a kid!

Not only that, he's got prison time on his record. Employment applications ask about that. I had a student with a felony drug conviction and even though he'd paid his dues and had gotten his life turned around, nobody would even give him a chance.

Noodles

March 5, 2006

This one may tie to a then-current event; I'm not sure.

March 12, 2006

Don't mess with Obaasan! (Grandma)

March 19, 2006

and remember where you parked.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

For some reason, the firewall at my workplace decided to block this thread. Not the whole forums, just this thread. :psyduck:
I thought I was going to encounter two days worth of pixelated dongs or something, but no. I can't even think what triggered it.

Edit: It wasn't even the whole thread, just the previous two pages.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Oh. My. God.

That was seriously the funniest thing I've seen all week! I had tears in my eyes! I kept thinking, "Yep, if Boyce were piloting that plane the same way he writes his captions, that's probably what it would look like flying". Excellent!

Non Sequitur

Ha ha. It is to laugh. C'mon Wiley.

Heavenly Nostrils

Kids don't work that way. My daughter was miffed at me this morning because...

... she got up earlier than my wife and I, and said "It's really lame, Dad, that the kid's up before the parents. You need to get up earlier on the weekends." Yep. Hey, I was reading YOSPOS 'til 1:30am, I'm allowed a pass, I think. :)

9 Chickweed Lane 3/22/2003

God. "Countenance" as a verb, Brooke? Talk about pretentious. You have a problem, dude, admit it.

Zits

Hey, kid's got a point...

Kevin & Kell

Christ that's bad.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Non Sequitur

Ha ha. It is to laugh. C'mon Wiley.

I had to check if that was an edit. Pastis must be the most namechecked artist in the comics.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
See, this is why we don't have kids!

Cul-de-sac threatens the delicate ecosystem of the plains.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Across town, Lola is having the same revelation.

Vanishing sleeping-cap!

Calvin And Hobbes

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

The Lost Bear's most recent update is from January 29th of this year.

Lost Sheep looks kind of bland, but I like the energy of that second panel.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

RandomFerret posted:

See, you read Ballard Street and you think "Man, that place looks so fun and whimsical, it's like everybody's a droopy geriatric Moomin", but they don't usually show you all the vicious, unprovoked beatings. They can happen anywhere, and you need to be ready to fight back, because you sure as hell can't run. Not on Ballard Street.

Since when have the people of Moominvalley ever shied away from laying the smack down, though

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Darthemed posted:

Lost Sheep looks kind of bland, but I like the energy of that second panel.

The guy who drew this also does "Rip Haywire" (Dan Thompson).

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Mister Beeg posted:

The guy who drew this also does "Rip Haywire" (Dan Thompson).

I thought that second panel looked familiar. The rest of the art style is very different, obviously, but that panicking bird looks just like TNT's panic face. This isn't the best example but it's the only one I could find via a quick Google search:

I just couldn't place what exactly it reminded me of until you posted that.

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I'm liking this Phantom plot a lot more now that I'm pretty sure Phantom being a smarmy jackass and loving every second of it is completely intentional on the writer's part.

The Phantom relentlessly owning some criminal in the smuggest possible way is a lot of fun. The only reason the latest arc hasn't been that interesting is the tremendous quantity of filler.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

TofuDiva posted:

Not only that, he's got prison time on his record. Employment applications ask about that. I had a student with a felony drug conviction and even though he'd paid his dues and had gotten his life turned around, nobody would even give him a chance.

Interestingly, Philadelphia has banned this question. It gets asked by some places anyway so I'm not sure what enforcement is like, but it's a neat step towards making it possible for people to put a life back together.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Darthemed posted:

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

Unironically, this looks really good (as does the last frame). But, how the gently caress do you "roll" smoked salmon? The stuff I get is so flaky that it falls apart if you just look at it. Is it some sort of a different type? I just today cleared the old canes from my asparagus patch, so just a few more weeks... :)

Hamagic
Jul 2, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Berger & Wyse

This is awesome from every angle

Sherman's Lagoon

Me neither :silent:

Hamagic
Jul 2, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

It took me a while but since you started posting it from the beginning I've been loving this immensely. So thank you :hfive:

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (July 28-29, 1924)

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (August 6-7, 1924)

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (August 13-14, 1924)

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (August 20-21, 1924)

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (August 27-28, 1924)

I only noticed how much "Out Our Way" is now just beating a dead horse once it started to pretty much actually happen. (RIP Wash Funk's mutilated nag. And boyzendorgs. And boyzenrafts. And cowboyzengoofySundayclothes.) I still really like the art though; you can tell just how sentimental JRWilliams is about his subject matter, however mined-out it may be.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
A wonderful Fok_It

You could say that besides being pretty generic and common-sounding, Pertsa and Arska are fairly "manly" names. Guess that's part of the joke.

ihana
1. wonderful, marvellous, marvelous
2. lovely, adorable
3. fabulous, fantastic

"Fabulous" would make this sound like a gay joke, but I actually don't think that's what the strip was going for.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mark Trail

Quincy

Office Hours

Buz Sawyer

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Hmm, what is Willie up to?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Shugojin posted:

Interestingly, Philadelphia has banned this question. It gets asked by some places anyway so I'm not sure what enforcement is like, but it's a neat step towards making it possible for people to put a life back together.

Minnesota has taken it off job applications statewide, unless I've missed something and that campaign is still ongoing.

We're getting widespread recognition that A. A lot of our prison population has been jailed for sub-par reasons, B. Even the ones that weren't still get out at some point and reform, and they need to eat too, and C. We have a LOT of ex-and current prisoners. It's slow, but it's starting.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Ghosts

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Got super busy this week, but I have time to play catch-up today. :)

Luann

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Oh, great! What a pain. :saddowns:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

That doesn't apply to just MOOCs, that applies to every class, although I imagine MOOCs would be worse.

That's because online classes are all a giant scam. :ssh:

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

According to Wiki, Luann began 29 years ago this month (to be specific, March 17, 1985)

Geez, I didn't realize that the strip is that old.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

TofuDiva posted:

I had to check if that was an edit. Pastis must be the most namechecked artist in the comics.

While perhaps true, it's also worth noting that Pastis was a lawyer before he was a comic artist, so that's at least a better reason for the name-drop.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

:smith:

:unsmith:

Phantom Classic

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

ComradeCosmobot posted:

While perhaps true, it's also worth noting that Pastis was a lawyer before he was a comic artist, so that's at least a better reason for the name-drop.

Note the other two names, Price and Tatulli. The latter is Mark Tatulli, who does "Lio" and "Heart of the City".

I'm guessing Price is Hillary Price, who does "Rhymes with Orange"

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Really lame time for self-policing Gil. How often do you get to shoot at abandoned trucks?

Retail

Didn't we just have a whole week on how stupid and lazy customers are? And Amber clearly missed evaluating the needs of that secret shopper, so maybe she's not as good as you think?

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Because Bleeker decided to buy a 3D-Printer to print out new parts every time Refurb lost some limbs instead of looking for the lost ones encouraging clutter and waste.

Dustin

Get some male swimsuit models instead.

On the Fastrack

Worked for pigeons in World War II.

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

If we didn't have any problems, we wouldn't need religion.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

The Judge's movie script claims another victim.

9 Chickweed Lane

Oh, so there is one person who has managed to decipher this storyline.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

This week's Little King is linked, just in case, because he visits "the Hipi-Hopi Indian tribe" and attitudes were different in 1948.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I've been out of town for a week so here's a Scary Gary catchup:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

Worked for pigeons in World War II.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carriers

IPoAC has been successfully implemented, but for only nine packets of data, with a packet loss ratio of 55% (due to user error),[2] and a response time ranging from 3000 seconds (~54 minutes) to over 6000 seconds (~1.77 hours). Thus, this technology suffers from poor latency.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Actually, that sounds pretty good.

Mary Worth

Tommy has found what appears to be a group of '70s-era street toughs.

Rex Morgan MD

I'm really sick of this storyline.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

How the gently caress do you "roll" smoked salmon? The stuff I get is so flaky that it falls apart if you just look at it.

I've never seen smoked salmon that could be described as "flaky" before. The stuff I've eaten is really easy to roll.

Mandrake the Magician (1941-12-07)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Midnight Moth posted:

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

If we didn't have any problems, we wouldn't need religion.

It may or may not be worth pointing out that "It is well with my soul" is a line from a hymn written shortly after the author's loss of his fortune and the deaths of all his children. It's a lovely expression of hope and peace, even in the face of utter devastation... and knowing the history, Dag might not be wrong in interpreting it as a cry for help.

Radio Patrol

I have no idea what's happening here, but something IS happening, I can tell you that! That puts it ahead of a few other action comics that come to mind.

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

• Locked thread