Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

1) if you give this goal you're a dick that's all I'm saying

Keith Hackett, a dick, posted:

1) As every youngster knows, players have to play to the whistle. This incident has happened at high speed and, while the keeper's reaction is understandable, players cannot decide when the game stops and starts (a power which could easily be misused for tactical gain). If you had spotted the injury instantly and whistled before the shot was taken it would be different. As it is, call for medical help, then award the goal.
Thanks to Zach Simm.
2) A nightmare scenario. You now need to act decisively. If you can pinpoint exactly when the extra player was brought on, speak to both captains and let them know you are restarting the game from that point, before this latest goal – and request a stadium announcement to relay that to the crowd. If not, or if one of the captains disagrees, allow the game to come to its conclusion. Either way, report everything that happened to the authorities. James Williscroft wins the shirt.
3) Standing in an offside position is not an offence. But when he receives the ball he becomes active, so you have to declare him offside. Restart with an indirect free-kick, taken from where he was standing in his opponents' half when the ball was kicked. Thanks to Russell Flagg.

I like the thought that the captain of the team with twelve players would refuse to roll back the game. Also, I want to see a question where it's the referee's leg that breaks right before somebody scores. "Both teams agree that a goal was scored, but you couldn't see it, because a piece of your tibia hit you in the eye. What now?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Roll the game back? I don't think you can actually do that. The game is now stopped because the ball went out of play. At this point, the game needs a restart. Sure, you can change the restart from "kick off" to whatever else (although you better not pick throw-in), but apart from that unless there's something special written in the RoC, the Laws don't provide you much power to do anything else as far as I can remember.

Also, there is no chance I'm gonna let a captain tell me "No way, you can't do that!" with respect to how I'm restating the game unless I'm clearly off, like if I changed the restart from kick off to throw in here. (Had a somewhat similar issue with a captain disagreeing. I was coming back from an advantage to issue a caution. While I was going back up the field to meet the player to issue the card, his captain/keeper took the goal kick and then tried to argue that he had already put the ball back in play therefore I couldn't do anything. Clever.) If I notice the 12th man before kickoff after the goal, I am disallowing it, cautioning someone, removing that player from the field, and restarting with IFK from the goal area for the defending team. If I have signaled for kick off and it has happened, I'm up a creek on the taking the goal away thing, but 12th guy is still getting a caution and being removed.

On the other hand, who exactly I caution as the 12th player is going to be a decision I leave up to the captain unless I remember "Well last time you substituted 22 and 18 came on, so it's one of you two." If I have no idea who the 12th guy is at all, I'm having a quick word with him. "Look, you have 12 on the field, someone is getting cautioned and having to go sit. Who is it going to be?"

Basically, Hackett :argh:

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

chaoslord posted:

(Had a somewhat similar issue with a captain disagreeing. I was coming back from an advantage to issue a caution. While I was going back up the field to meet the player to issue the card, his captain/keeper took the goal kick and then tried to argue that he had already put the ball back in play therefore I couldn't do anything. Clever.)

lol what? this isn't clever, play doesn't restart until you (YATR) say it does

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

stickyfngrdboy posted:

lol what? this isn't clever, play doesn't restart until you (YATR) say it does

Oh I know that, but I meant clever as in "good for him for trying something." He clearly at least understood part of the laws since he knew once play restarted I couldn't go back. He just forgot the part that you bring up, that I have to be ready for play to restart.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CPColin posted:

I like the thought that the captain of the team with twelve players would refuse to roll back the game. Also, I want to see a question where it's the referee's leg that breaks right before somebody scores. "Both teams agree that a goal was scored, but you couldn't see it, because a piece of your tibia hit you in the eye. What now?"

"You are grievously wounded and can't reach your whistle to stop the game and get stretchered off. While you bleed out, one of the teams scores. How do you restart the game with no legs?"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
To call for help, turn to page 36. To attempt to crawl to safety, turn to page 7.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

chaoslord posted:

Roll the game back? I don't think you can actually do that. The game is now stopped because the ball went out of play. At this point, the game needs a restart. Sure, you can change the restart from "kick off" to whatever else (although you better not pick throw-in), but apart from that unless there's something special written in the RoC, the Laws don't provide you much power to do anything else as far as I can remember.

Back in 2001 I was told that if you can't find out exactly when the team had one player more than they should have, then the proper course of action was to restart the entire half (unless that would put the offending team in a better position than they would be if you got them back to proper numbers and continued), and now I want to dig out my old copy of Advice on the Application... to see if it's in there as well. This is where I think Hackett's coming from with that answer, but the way I'm reading page 68 of the LOAF would seem to indicate that he's wrong.

quote:

Goal scored with an extra person on the field of play

If, after a goal is scored, the referee realises, before play restarts, that there was
an extra person on the field of play when the goal was scored:

• the referee must disallow the goal if:
– the extra person was an outside agent and he interfered with play
– the extra person was a player, substitute, substituted player or team
official associated with the team that scored the goal

• the referee must allow the goal if:
– the extra person was an outside agent who did not interfere with play
– the extra person was a player, substitute, substituted player or team
official associated with the team that conceded the goal

Emphasis mine; which surely implies that if you notice after play restarts, you're SOL.

quote:

If I notice the 12th man before kickoff after the goal, I am disallowing it, cautioning someone, removing that player from the field, and restarting with IFK from the goal area for the defending team.

Incidentally, might it not be better to restart with a goal-kick? If you're going to give them an indirect free-kick in the goal area, why not make it a goal-kick so the takers can't be offside from it? As I see it, the closest analogue to this situation is when you have an indirect free-kick or a throw-in that's gone directly into the goal, which you treat as though it had crossed the goal line outside the goal...

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Trin Tragula posted:

Incidentally, might it not be better to restart with a goal-kick?

Yep, this is explicitly the instruction we get from USSF:

Advice to Referees posted:

Goal is scored against opposing team and discovered before restart
Cancel goal, caution for entering (E), restart with GK

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Y'all are correct! I was in the incorrect line of thinking "Well, the restart would have been a kick off; however, I'm disallowing the goal because of this misconduct and since play is now (officially) stopped because I am issuing a caution, the correct restart should be a IFK." Thanks for the pointer.

chaoslord fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 11, 2014

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I was out of town all weekend, attending a college basketball tournament during which the men's team at my alma mater officially earned the title of "Worst Team in the March Madness Bracket" and it's awesome.

Anyway, the answers are already up, so no cheating!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
1. No different than all those empty water bags, right? Play on. If the guy really can't perform, tell him to get a broom and go have a beer.
2. Punch yourself in the face; the signal for a foul involves waving the flag. Restart with a dropped ball.
3. Abandon the game.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

1. Tell the assistant to harden the gently caress up.
2. Restart with a drop ball, beat the assistant to death with the flag.
3. Punch the invader, abandon the game.

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.
1. Yell at your assistant for being soft
2. Yell at your assistant for being useless
3. Yell at your assistant because you're still mad at him, abandon game.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

How many energy bars can one team possibly eat?

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
1. Ask the stadium crew to clean it up
2. Drop ball and ask your assistant why he's in such a horrible position from that picture
3. Abandoned the game

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

The art in panel 2, from a refereeing standpoint, has to be one of my favorites yet. AR is with the 4th Last Defender that we can see (assuming GK isn't way out of position too), and R is most likely way too deep. If defense wins ball and clears it out you are way further behind play on the counter than you need to be.

(I know it's a bit silly to pick at the art, but these three are pretty easy and straighforward questions so not a lot of discussion left to be had)

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
3. Make them play with an outfield player in goal, but make the fan play keeper for his side to even it out.

Abandoning the game seems like the nuclear option to me, but you guys are tossing it around like it's nothing.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003

Captain Trips posted:

3. Make them play with an outfield player in goal, but make the fan play keeper for his side to even it out.

Abandoning the game seems like the nuclear option to me, but you guys are tossing it around like it's nothing.

The ref is responsible for the safety of the players. If a player can get knocked out by a fan running on the pitch then there's clearly problems

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

CPColin posted:

1. No different than all those empty water bags, right? Play on. If the guy really can't perform, tell him to get a broom and go have a beer

I'd say it's stop the game and get it cleaned up, just as if it were something thrown onto the pitch by a fan that may obstruct someone.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Here's last week's answers!

KH posted:

1) There's no offence here. Players can eat anything they like during the game, just as long as: a) it's a legal substance, and b) they don't leave the pitch to do it. But if the wrappers are distracting your colleague, ask the stadium manager to have them cleared away. Thanks to Rick McCabe.
2) One quality a good official needs is humility when a mistake has been made. Apologise for this serious error, which has denied an innocent player a chance of an attempt on goal, restart with a dropped ball from where it was when you stopped play – and have a word with your colleague. Thanks to Phillip Mercer.
3) An awful situation. The home side's anger and frustration is totally understandable, and you need to handle this carefully. Once security and medical staff have dealt with the incident, remind the home manager and captain that, however unfair it seems, the game cannot be completed without a nominated goalkeeper in place. Remind them that, if they refuse to put a player in goal, you will have no option but to abandon the game and report them – leaving the result, and their fate, entirely in the hands of the authorities. Lee Hayward wins the shirt.

texas chili bowl
Apr 13, 2008

Ankles and beards are serious business
I hope Oxlade-Chamberlain and Gibbs are featured in the next edition

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
1) No goal I think, probably not allowed to hold onto the bar like that to score

2) 2nd yellow

3) By the picture I don't think it made a bit of difference. by the question i'm thinking maybe it means he stopped a ball that wasn't going to hit his body. Gonna go with the picture and say play on, it didn't actually make any difference.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
1. No goal

2. 2nd yellow

3. Send off Kieran Gibbs

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

No goal

Second yellow

Unsportsmanlike like conduct. Penalty and booking.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

The second one is a bit weird because leaving the field without permission is already a (second) yellow card offense, so why would you be letting him back onto the pitch anyway?

thebmw
May 13, 2004
Bing

Edmund Honda posted:

The second one is a bit weird because leaving the field without permission is already a (second) yellow card offense, so why would you be letting him back onto the pitch anyway?

It doesn't actually say you're going to let him back on, just ignoring him until there's a stoppage.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
1. Eh, fine. Allow the goal.
2. As soon as the guy has an effect on play (i.e., play on if the ball is at the other end of the pitch), boot him for leaving without permission.
3. Seems unsporting. Yellow and PK.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
1. They don't even let you hold the corner flag if it's in your way for a corner so I doubt this would stand. Award an indirect free kick from the 6 yard box.

2. It's a second yellow for leaving the pitch without permission. I would probably allow play to continue till there was a stoppage or he became involved. Red for him

3. The description doesn't seem to really match the picture. If the ball is in the center of his body, I don't see what the issue is. These usually go by the picture more than the description so I say play on.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Question to those going Penalty + Caution on #3: Why not DOGSO?

Law 12 posted:

*denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

*denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick

e: I don't know what to think about #3 tbh, I'm genuinely curious. I think that if the player threw an object at the ball it would be denying an obvious goal by handling, so just a thought. Might not be the same though. *shrugs*

chaoslord fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 24, 2014

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.

Hacket posted:

1) The player grabbed the post to avoid a potentially serious injury, and the ball hit him accidentally – so, taking those factors into account, you cannot view him as being guilty of unsporting behaviour. There has been no offence, the ball has deflected in off him in live play – so it's a goal. Thanks to Murray Zelnick.
2) Leaving the field without permission is an offence, but he may have had a legitimate, medical reason for doing so in a hurry – so that would not be an automatic second yellow without further investigation. Returning to the game without permission, though, definitely is an automatic second yellow. Send him off. Nick Thornton wins the shirt.
3) This is clearly not acceptable: it's an offence to use a shirt like this as it effectively becomes an extension of his hands. So the youngster has committed what counts as a deliberate handball on the line. However, this "handball" has not prevented a certain goal, as the ball would have hit his body anyway. So it's a yellow card, a penalty, and a hard lesson learned. Thanks to Naveen NR.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

3. The kid did something that had no outcome except save his balls from pain, yellow and PK

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/27/you-are-the-ref-paul-trevillion

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
1. I can see Hackett going either way on this, so I'm going to guess that he'll say something like, "Although the player did not actually contact the ball, he did cause the ball to move forward. Play on."
2. Fine. Note the score at the time the lights went out and let the FA sort it out.
3. Fine. Note the score at the time the balls went out and let the league sort it out.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
1. Kick is fine, I'd say.
2. I don't think you could go ahead with the game without the floodlights.
3. No way the game can be played without a regulation ball.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
There was one where you discover 10 minutes into the half that you're using the wrong sized ball and he said to start over with the right one so I can't imagine you can play with that. Why would a kit man even have a size 4 ball anyway

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

ayb posted:

There was one where you discover 10 minutes into the half that you're using the wrong sized ball and he said to start over with the right one so I can't imagine you can play with that. Why would a kit man even have a size 4 ball anyway

It's lower league, he's got a kids game to go help out with next

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
1) bad luck m8
2) The light being inadequate is up to you. I probably wouldn't want to do a whole game (or even half a game) like that, but for KFTM, if the teams are OK and you don't see a compelling safety reason to stop them, go on. Standard report the facts clause applies
3) Noooope. Abandon match, report facts. Or maybe (crazy idea here) just have someone go find the balls? Is the ground in the middle of a swamp or surrounded by lava or something? They can't have gone that far

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I've been on more than one pitch that's well within clogging distance of deep and/or flowing water. If the nearest player can't grab the net on a stick in time (or if it's at the place where there's a tall-enough-but-not-that-tall fence protecting a giant reservoir) the football just disappears and you never see it again. Never lost more than two balls at the same match, but if each side only brings one each...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

1) sucks to be the attacking team. Ball moved even though it didn't make contact with your foot, though your foot helped initiate movement
2) Depends on how dark dusk is. If I can't see, I'm not going to ref a game. Call the game if it's too dark and make a note
3) Abandon the match. Can't replace the ball with a non-regulation sized ball. Tell the home team to shag their own loving balls. Note it in the report.

• Locked thread