Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Danskos and crocs are good shoes that I liked a lot when working in kitchens, but my crocs are gathering dust in a corner while my Danskos are still my go-to shoe that I wear most of the time.

A note on crocs: Washing them in your home dishwasher set on pots and pans will make them shrink. Like, at least two sizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

I love the pair of berkis I got but I've always like wearing clogs and the slightly too large fit feel nice. I was wearing crocs but the inserts on the soles kept falling out after like 6 months.

6 months is about the limit for the insoles in my work related footwear. Once I start feeling more pain in the knees and hips the insoles get replaced. IMO $10 every few months is a small price to pay for less pain and less destroying-your-joints.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Crocs don't have inserts anymore, or at least my pair don't. Whole shoe is solid rubber.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

My guess is he means the nonslip pads glued to the bottom of the sole, which do indeed start coming off eventually but hey, pretty much any shoe is gonna get busted eventually in this line of work.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Wroughtirony posted:

Shoechat: Danskos unless you have flat feet. End shoechat. Begin shoeslapfight.

So what if you have flat feet?

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

Thoht posted:

My guess is he means the nonslip pads glued to the bottom of the sole, which do indeed start coming off eventually but hey, pretty much any shoe is gonna get busted eventually in this line of work.

That is what I mean

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

ulmont posted:

So what if you have flat feet?

I have flat feet and I bought a pair of red wings (the ones I got are more boot than shoe, but nobody seems to mind). They were the most incredibly uncomfortable shoes I'd ever worn for a couple weeks, and then they became amazing. I love them now.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Has anyone else had experience with the Dansko Pro XP line of clogs? They were my first danskos, lasted 4 months before completely falling apart. Upon comparing to my coworker's danskos, mine were stitched instead of stapled, and had a non-slip pad glued on the bottom. After those four months each shoe was about one third separated from the clog at the stitching, and the pads were almost entirely off. They're being replaced by Dansko, but I think it's bullshit that they're selling a $150 pair of shoes that, from the reviews I've seen, consistently fall apart within such a short period of time.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Invisible Ted posted:

Has anyone else had experience with the Dansko Pro XP line of clogs? They were my first danskos, lasted 4 months before completely falling apart. Upon comparing to my coworker's danskos, mine were stitched instead of stapled, and had a non-slip pad glued on the bottom. After those four months each shoe was about one third separated from the clog at the stitching, and the pads were almost entirely off. They're being replaced by Dansko, but I think it's bullshit that they're selling a $150 pair of shoes that, from the reviews I've seen, consistently fall apart within such a short period of time.

Looks like I dodged a bullet then. I decided to stick with the regular Professional since it's been pretty much the only shoe I've worn for the last nine years. I made the mistake of buying the patent leather ones once (they cracked) but that's as adventurous as I've gotten.

I will say that Dansko customer service is amazing. I did product testing for them awhile back and the shoes they sent me had a minor cosmetic flaw. I sent them pictures because I figured that's the sort of thing they would want to know from wear testing. They apologized and replaced my free shoes.

Incidentally, I can also say that the Shayla is a super-comfy yet supportive walking shoe, if you're the sort of person who spends a hundred dollars on walking-around sneakers. :-)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Turkeybone posted:

I rocked Crocs when I was a fat gently caress, there's no excuse not to wear that hot neon orange.

I rocked the poo poo out of Crocs for several years before the delivery route at the bakery convinced me I needed something steel toed for all the warehouse docks I had to come in through. Swapped to Red Wings, never looked back.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
So is being a chef in the New York metropolitan area really as bad as y'all are making out? I'm moving to NJ about an hour from NYC by bus soon to be with my wife (I currently live in the UK) and I really enjoy my job as a chef and would like to make a career out of it if possible. Should I just give up and utilize some of my other skills?

Also how much would volunteer work in a soup kitchen help on my resume? I figured having a reference people can call that isn't thousands of miles away would help my chances of getting hired.

Shoechat: All the chefs in the UK I know below the age of ~35 rock skate shoes, they're super hardwearing and comfortable, just hope you don't spill that pot full of boiling stock all over your feet.

e: And do Americans still think all British food is terrible and we can't cook like a few years ago? Was hoping Gordon Ramsay and his bullshit reality shows would have demolished that preconception.

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 22, 2014

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

For what it's worth, while I know that "british cooking" was at one point A Thing, I can't say how I know that beyond maybe osmosis? I spent about a month in Oxford almost a decade ago and never found myself disappointed by the eats. I think it's the kind of thing there might be teasing about but no one would make a professional-tier fuss over.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

The Saurus posted:

e: And do Americans still think all British food is terrible and we can't cook like a few years ago? Was hoping Gordon Ramsay and his bullshit reality shows would have demolished that preconception.
Anyone who knows anything knows that London is one of the best food cities in the world now. If people "rip on" british dining it's because they feel awkward and have no other way to alleviate their anxiety than to bring up a conversation they've had a hundred times in the past.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

The Saurus posted:

Do you mean English cuisine? 'cause that's what people are thinking of when they say British food is terrible.

It has nothing to do with your cooking or your dining options.

I'm from Minnesota and you'll see a lot of disparaging remarks about our cuisine as well.

Just because we're known for our hotdish doesn't mean you can't find fine dining or James Beard award winners here.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

MisterOblivious posted:

=I'm from Minnesota and you'll see a lot of disparaging remarks about our cuisine as well.

Just because we're known for our hotdish doesn't mean you can't find fine dining or James Beard award winners here.

Is that brown gravy, peas, mushrooms, and ground beef over tater tots? Who the gently caress would pick on that unless they hated good food?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

D34THROW posted:

Is that brown gravy, peas, mushrooms, and ground beef over tater tots? Who the gently caress would pick on that unless they hated good food?

It's probably condensed cream of mushroom soup, not gravy. But brown gravy is an acceptable answer.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

The Saurus posted:

So is being a chef in the New York metropolitan area really as bad as y'all are making out? I'm moving to NJ about an hour from NYC by bus soon to be with my wife (I currently live in the UK) and I really enjoy my job as a chef and would like to make a career out of it if possible. Should I just give up and utilize some of my other skills?

Also how much would volunteer work in a soup kitchen help on my resume? I figured having a reference people can call that isn't thousands of miles away would help my chances of getting hired.

Shoechat: All the chefs in the UK I know below the age of ~35 rock skate shoes, they're super hardwearing and comfortable, just hope you don't spill that pot full of boiling stock all over your feet.

I am The Saurus' wife, everyone in this thread please do whatever you can to discourage him unless he'll make more money as a chef than with his bachelor's in chemistry.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Clochette posted:

I am The Saurus' wife, everyone in this thread please do whatever you can to discourage him unless he'll make more money as a chef than with his bachelor's in chemistry.

The Saurus you should become a cook if you want to never see your wife and want to make approximately minimum wage for the next 8 years.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Clochette posted:

Wait, he has a real degree that is somewhat marketable?

:getout:

Dude, get the gently caress out of the culinary industry and go make real money. Two weeks of 9-5's with health insurance, PTO, and not having to live in fear of being called in at 1am -again- will make you a changed man.

You're coming from the UK, so I can totally understand why you might not understand this, but the industry is a meatgrinder in the US. It gives nothing, and takes everything until you quit. Don't get on that bus if you don't have to.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Liquid Communism posted:

It's probably condensed cream of mushroom soup, not gravy. But brown gravy is an acceptable answer.

Yup, and all that stuff goes *under* the tater tots. You want at least 1/3rd of the tot to get crispy don't you?!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
No one in their right mind does this job unless they can't imagine doing anything else. That said, a bachelors in chemistry ain't getting you anywhere either. See if the lab at ICE is hiring.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

The Saurus you should become a cook if you want to never see your wife and want to make approximately minimum wage for the next 8 years.

Also you can maintain drug contacts once you hit middle age, if you consider that a plus.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

MisterOblivious posted:

Yup, and all that stuff goes *under* the tater tots. You want at least 1/3rd of the tot to get crispy don't you?!

MisterOblivious posted:

That doesn't bother me so much as the folks who think every meal must be perfection and will flat out tell you you're a terrible piece of poo poo for enjoying the foods you like. Oh, and if you've tried a certain food a bunch of times and still don't like it you're a child and need to grow up.

Somebody wanted to pick up a nice set of salt and pepper shakers. One of the resident assholes told him "A good cook should be aware of what they need to do for their diners and if there are sensitivities, adjustments should be made before service, which is what I do when feeding said people." And another: "Salt shakers are stupid, and if you need one at the table, you have failed as a cook."

...so I stopped visiting GWS (other than the industry thread, the holier than thou amateurs don't get much traction in there)

lol

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Double postin to second that mr oblivious lives up to his name.

bloody ghost titty fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 23, 2014

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Clochette posted:

That bachelors and experience as a chef could land him a pretty good gig in food R&D. Try and get a position as a research chef, that's my ultimate goal, or exec chef at a resort. Either one will happen in 6-8 years.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Clochette posted:

Making good money as a chef basically means grinding your face against every surface in a given place for 11 hours minimum every day. You're not going to see him regularly, and if you have kids, he's probably going to miss every one of their events that doesn't take place on Sunday (unless you serve brunch, then maybe just Sunday night). I remember how we stole a cook from a local restaurant and paid him like $150 under the table just so he could cover our chef so he could go his daughter's college graduation. Most cooks/chefs I know with spouses either know they don't want kids, are okay without seeing each other for a few days, work in the industry together, or end up divorced.

Cuisinart called it. Unless Saurus has a passion for this kind of stuff and you're very supportive, use that degree to get some internship in food science or something, and work your way up.

As far as regional food goes, I'm jealous of any place that actually has some kind of cultural cuisine, good or not. The best we have out here is scrapple and Amish food.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Trained chefs make $7.25 an hour in the NYC area? Really? How can anyone even afford to live there on that.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

The Saurus posted:

Trained chefs make $7.25 an hour in the NYC area? Really? How can anyone even afford to live there on that.

It's more that the restaurant industry likes to pay management positions pitiful salaries with the expectation that a 50 hour week is the minimum so that it basically comes out to being equal to minimum wage. While it wasn't in New York, the last place I worked that had a chef paid the exec chef 40k a year but he worked 60 hours most weeks and would work 80 hour weeks at least once a month.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Saurus posted:

They can't, and with the overtime they run it can figure out to below minimum wage for salaried folks. They generally work around the city for a few years, then use that on their resume to go get a job someplace with a cost of living that isn't batshit insane. 'Trained Chef' doesn't mean anything if you don't have a fairly serious resume to back it up, culinary school grads are a dime a dozen on the east coast and generally aren't worth a poo poo.

There are several folks around here who've worked that scene, dino just quit it if I recall correctly. Maybe they'll share some anecdotes.

I just got my first paycheck from my shiny new IT support job today. It was only for my first week, 40 hours... and even after paying out for my sweet new health insurance and 401k, it's about the size of my 100 hour checks from the bakery. Don't miss it at all.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Liquid Communism posted:

They can't, and with the overtime they run it can figure out to below minimum wage for salaried folks. They generally work around the city for a few years, then use that on their resume to go get a job someplace with a cost of living that isn't batshit insane. 'Trained Chef' doesn't mean anything if you don't have a fairly serious resume to back it up, culinary school grads are a dime a dozen on the east coast and generally aren't worth a poo poo.

There are several folks around here who've worked that scene, dino just quit it if I recall correctly. Maybe they'll share some anecdotes.

I just got my first paycheck from my shiny new IT support job today. It was only for my first week, 40 hours... and even after paying out for my sweet new health insurance and 401k, it's about the size of my 100 hour checks from the bakery. Don't miss it at all.

i reflexively tried to "like" this post before I realized what I was doing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The Saurus posted:

He was being a little extreme. There are restaurants where you make minimum wage - Jean-Georges, apparently - but there are places that pay more. Generally, the less exciting and more corporate the gig, the better the pay. Some of the hotels pay as much as $25 an hour, but they're a bit of a dead-end.

The highest paying restaurant cook job in NYC is probably at Momofuku Ko, because you get tipped out (as the cooks serve the food). There are ten of those jobs. The rest, you generally won't be making above $15/hour barring exceptional circumstances - and you'll probably start out lower ($9 - $12).

What many of our parents failed to impart is that college educations are nice to have because they make our lives easier.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Worked in a restaurant for about seven years. Was literally running the place after about six months. Left making $11/hour. My last pay cheque took a month to arrive. This is AFTER being really good friends with the owner, and doing every job in that loving place for all those years. To me, a job teaching kids is a pay upgrade. It's why I'm in Florida, taking classes alongside infants.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Pretty much no one goes to culinary school in the UK, we just learn on the job.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Saurus posted:

Did you do your on-the-job training with anyone well known? Work in any big name kitchens? Because otherwise, you're not looking at walking into a chef's gig at all, you're talking line cook at best, and the pay is even worse.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

The Saurus posted:

The Saurus I have a background in chemistry and I decided to work in restaurants instead of doing the chemistry thing, and as much as I loved cooking for a living it's so horribly brutal that I will never do it again, barring working a stage now and again or bulk-producing cheese/canned stuff/charcuterie/beer/etc.

I currently make three times what I made cooking working in database stuff, and I'm about to accept a job that pays FIVE TIMES what I made cooking working as a developer.

You're insane if you decide to do this as anything other than a hobby if you ever want to have a real life or be able to afford to do anything.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It was a fantastic way to get rid all of my stupid I'm different-from-my-peers-too-special-for-normal-jobs-not-doing-it-for-the-money romantic notions, and I was lucky enough to get a programming job afterwards. But I didn't have a wife.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

On the other side of things, I'm married, make decent pay as a chef, and fairly happy with my job. Wife still makes twice as much as me, and with an upcoming promotion, it will probably be 3-4x. Come on food truck money!

e: but really, use that chem degree to work in food r&d, menu planning, corp chef, etc. Do not work in NYC restaurants, it'll take you forever to get anywhere.

Or just stay out of this industry because very few people move up, and even fewer do it quickly.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 24, 2014

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Liquid Communism posted:

Did you do your on-the-job training with anyone well known? Work in any big name kitchens? Because otherwise, you're not looking at walking into a chef's gig at all, you're talking line cook at best, and the pay is even worse.

How many British chefs are actually well known in the United States? I'm guessing Gordon Ramsay and Jamie Oliver, maybe Heston Blumenthal at a push.

Perhaps I'll be a server and intimidate the uncouth colonials with my accent.

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 24, 2014

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

The Saurus posted:

How many British chefs are actually well known in the United States? I'm guessing Gordon Ramsay and Jamie Oliver, maybe Heston Blumenthal at a push.

Perhaps I'll be a server and intimidate the uncouth colonials with my accent.

Chefs in the industry will know more than just those people. You will need good networking or incredible luck if you do not want to start out and stay on for a long time as a line cook.

Server-ing pays better, but is still a restaurant industry job. Do anything else so that your wife, who posted in this thread begging us to not let you be an idiot, is not annoyed at you for the rest of your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Chefs in the industry will know more than just those people. You will need good networking or incredible luck if you do not want to start out and stay on for a long time as a line cook.

Server-ing pays better, but is still a restaurant industry job. Do anything else so that your wife, who posted in this thread begging us to not let you be an idiot, is not annoyed at you for the rest of your life.

Thanks guys, you've saved my bacon. :tipshat:

• Locked thread