Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

coathat posted:

Kadokowa just launched a free manga site. http://comic-walker.com/en/

Not a whole lot of series right now but hey are putting out a full color version of Gundam the Origin.

There's nothing here I care about except Non Non Biyori, but this gave me a chuckle:

quote:

High School D×D

ArtistIshibumi Ichiei(Creator) / Mishima Hiroji(Art) / Miyama Zero(Character Layout)
Magazineドラゴンエイジ
GenreOriginal Young-Adult Fiction / Superpower Battle / Harem / Breasts / School Story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Didn't know anything like that existed. Now I do, that was a nice watch.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No Game No Life would seem like a fun watch in a similar vein to Mondaiji-tachi from a couple of seasons ago, if I didn't know that the main characters were brother and sister.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Updated dates in OP, still none for Sudden Death, GJ-Bu@, and that Locodol thing.

On the other hand, here's some new things confirmed for Spring:

04/04 Insufficient Direction (Kantoku Fuyuki Todoki)
DLE adaptation of the manga by Moyoco Anno, wife of Hideaki Anno (Evangelion, Gunbuster, dressing up as Ultraman, etc), about her daily life with the "founder of the otaku cult" and their lifestyle. It's a humorous daily life type thing, as far as I can tell. It's being directed by Azuma Tani (that Narlyethotep moe anime, Thermae Romae). And for everyone wondering: no, Anno isn't voice acting himself, Yamadera Kouchi is doing him (Tienshinhan, Togusa, Spike Spiegel, etc).

05/31 Monogatari, Second Season - Flower Story (Hanamonogatari)
Yet more Monogatari adaptations by SHAFT, Akiyuki Shinbo directing (as usual). They tend to be artsy-yet-creepy-exploitative. I don't think this one is at all a departure from the previous. It appears that its late appearance in the season will be accompanied by a run of only five episodes.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I was kind of digging the argevollen trailer until they showed the hero robot. Oh well, it seems like there's plenty of other stuff coming up that might be interesting.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Zorak posted:

04/04 Insufficient Direction (Kantoku Fuyuki Todoki)
DLE adaptation of the manga by Moyoco Anno, wife of Hideaki Anno (Evangelion, Gunbuster, dressing up as Ultraman, etc), about her daily life with the "founder of the otaku cult" and their lifestyle. It's a humorous daily life type thing, as far as I can tell. It's being directed by Azuma Tani (that Narlyethotep moe anime, Thermae Romae). And for everyone wondering: no, Anno isn't voice acting himself, Yamadera Kouchi is doing him (Tienshinhan, Togusa, Spike Spiegel, etc).

We should totally simulwatch NGE while this thing is airing.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

coathat posted:

Kadokowa just launched a free manga site. http://comic-walker.com/en/

Not a whole lot of series right now but hey are putting out a full color version of Gundam the Origin.

This'll be worth keeping an eye on. The English on their website is kind of adorable. When you mouse over a title, it gives the options "To work more screen" and "I see in the viewer the latest story". The Translations themselves seem fine, though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Spring may be full of cards for some insane reason (I legit thought that trend died like, years ago when Yu-Gi-Oh gently caress It Dice This Time Who Cares was a thing?), it also has some pretty cool poo poo mixed in.

Hyped as gently caress for Jojo!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zorak posted:

And for everyone wondering: no, Anno isn't voice acting himself, Yamadera Kouchi is doing him (Tienshinhan, Togusa, Spike Spiegel, etc).

Aw, man! They really dropped the ball with that voice casting: While I'm sure Megumi Hayashibara will be great, it would have been sorta interesting if they had gotten Rie Tanaka so we could get a real life couple portraying these two.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
First pickups for this season: Aniplex US to serve international streaming duty for Mushishi, Irregular at Magic, Mekaku City Actors and Nanana's Buried Treasure.

Guess that's going to be the lineup for Animax UK, short of All the Anime doing some licensing. :sigh:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

This just looks bad, barring some of the environment designs. I was kinda interested in this, but not so much anymore.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

OH BABY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD8jV7-ypdo

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I'm so excited for this

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

They put up the official site for Kenzen Robo Daimidaler.

It's a work of beauty.

edit: Check the site's source code.

Triggerhappypilot fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 23, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Triggerhappypilot posted:

They put up the official site for Kenzen Robo Daimidaler.

It's a work of beauty.

edit: Check the site's source code.

Its art. :allears:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Fall trailer, Sora no Method.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tMLSCTWCfM

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
In a sign of how packed this Spring season is, the OP of this thread is butting up against the line limit for threads. This is the most new shows airing since Spring 2006.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Well then. I don't think I've ever been so compelled by a website to watch a show before.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Hell yeah :D That's another great short I wanted more of!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Found a camrip of a Fate PV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVFKUS4c23o

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
My body is ready for UFOtable Fate/Stay Night.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
There was a brief shot of the scene of Shirou running into Gil in casual clothes in there. Wasn't that a HF specific scene, or am I misremembering?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

It is indeed an HF scene which is raising a lot of hype everywhere. I thunk you meant Sakura right?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I believe all scenes showcased in that trailer show up at one point or another in the first three days common across all three routes, though IIRC you can miss the Gil/Sakura scene if you don't hang out with Sakura enough.

E: Looks like Shirou's got some new duds

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 23, 2014

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Set us Free, make a splash...

gently caress yeah! I don't know WHY I liked Free! so much, but I really did.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Man Spring 2014 is pretty fuckin great for anime nerds. Free was one of the shows that really surprised me how great it was.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sadly, Free is airing in Summer, so not this season. But heck, that's a good time of the year for it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
This year as a whole seems really loaded in general though.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

This year is absolutely nuts in terms of big-name shows, even if a lot of them are sequels. Winter has had some of the worst overall sales of any season but Spring/Summer/Fall all have a couple insanely popular things.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

At the same time I haven't really seen anything mention in this season that has really attracted me or make me go "ooh", most of it just seems kinda. I guess I might change one they get going and I hear some general opinions but right now I'm just kinda :geno: to the entire season.
I might just give the second Puchimas season a watch once every episode is out as I did kinda enjoy the previous series. As well as Knights of Sidonia.
But right now I feel it's a perfect chance if anything for me to go through Space Dandy or something that I skipped last season or just catch up on older stuff in general.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Cooked Auto posted:

At the same time I haven't really seen anything mention in this season that has really attracted me or make me go "ooh", most of it just seems kinda. I guess I might change one they get going and I hear some general opinions but right now I'm just kinda :geno: to the entire season.

Mushi-shi alone makes this spring season incredibly worthwhile. If you haven't seen the first season, get on that ASAP.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

I might just give the second Puchimas season a watch once every episode is out as I did kinda enjoy the previous series. As well as Knights of Sidonia.
But right now I feel it's a perfect chance if anything for me to go through Space Dandy or something that I skipped last season or just catch up on older stuff in general.

Neither Ping-Pong, Mushi-shi, nor Jojo's have interested you? For all the random junk airing this season, there's a few guaranteed gems for people to be excited about.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

There's even a few wildcards in Anime Mirai, Captain Earth, Coffin Princess, and the Anno slice of life.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I really do think all the bolded series in the OP are probably worth giving a watch. I try not to bold wantonly; there are shows I would like to be good this season or I'll be giving a watch that I certainly can't "risk" bolding, so to speak, because they're far from safe bets.

Mushi-Shi was and should continue to be really excellent; the original series was a fantastic adventure into mystery and drama. It's been described fairly accurately as "what if House M.D. and a Miyazaki flick had a baby", which really captures the overall tone and feel of the series pretty well. A lone wanderer tries to diagnose supernatural afflictions caused by nigh-indescribable entities in order to save lives. Sometimes he succeeds, sometimes he doesn't. Cool soundtrack and visuals ensue.

The first season of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, covering the first two parts of the manga, was pretty great. Everyone was hoping it'd be good and would capture that JoJo feel of bizarre conflicts and way larger than life heroes / villains, and David Production really did it in spades; it probably used the most green and purple of anime in awhile, and had a correct amount of posing, melodramatic narration, over the top monologs, and attention to absurd details. This is going to be even more of that, with the added budget gained by the previous adaptation being really well received, plus it's adapting the part where the comic really started becoming mega popular in Japan to the point that nowadays you've got babies imitating the absurd posing endemic to it.

Ping-Pong the Animation is an anime by Masaaki Yuasa which is basically instant-watch for me as a result. Yuasa has this really fascinating aesthetic and directorial style that results in works that are really unlike much of anythings else airing. Yuasa was the director and animation lead on Mind Game, Kemonozume, Kaiba, and Tatami Galaxy. If you've seen any of those you'll have a feel for his general style and approach; he does not produce works that are very "anime", and the narratives tend to be fantastic. The work he is adapting here is an award winning manga that very much aligns / matches up with his very "fleshy" style, which should result in something very good to watch. Yuasa is really someone in the industry as an artist and it's great to experience that. The closest thing he's done to this one previously is probably Tatami Galaxy, which was pretty much perfect media period.

Captain Earth really doesn't have a super interesting pitch going in, and doesn't have a huge flag that signals "yo this is going to be great", but there's really good odds in its favor here. As I mentioned in the OP, this is another anime helmed by Yoji Enokido and Takuya Igarashi. who are pretty big names. Enokido is a screenwriter who writes very unconventional scripts, working on the likes of Sailor Moon, Revolutionary Girl Utena (which was astounding), Evangelion, Diebuster, RahXephon, Redline (which owned), and most relevantly recently, Star Driver, which was one of the most entertaining rides while it was airing. Igarashi is a director who had his hand in a tooon of good anime, but most notably was involved in story board / direction during Sailor Moon, Soul Eater, Ouran, and Star Driver. The two bascially went into Star Driver going "what if we take a magical girl-esque mindset towards mecha, and make this poo poo fabulous as gently caress". And they sure did. I don't know what their plan is with Captain Earth, but they're both very competent and work really well as a duo (they are close friends outside of work as far as I can tell), so this should hopefully be worth a watch. Star Driver was a thing.

There's a few others I suspect may be watchable or entertaining one way or another that probably will need to prove themselves first but could be quite good. One Week Friends is an obvious example there.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
One Week Friends' manga is great, and the anime will probably cause a diabetes outbreak here.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-03-24/fate/stay-night-anime-remake-cast-staff-revealed

The cast and staff of the new Fate/Stay Night anime have been announced. The voice actors are the same as they always were, so that's not interesting. Takahiro Miura is directing and Atsushi Ikariya, Tomonori Sudou, and Hisayuki Tabata are on character design. Still no word on what exactly the story will entail.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 26, 2014

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-03-24/fate/stay-night-anime-remake-cast-staff-revealed

The cast and staff of the new Fate/Stay Night anime have been announced. The voice actors are the same as they always were, so that's not interesting. Takahiro Miura, the director of Fate/Zero, is returning to direct, and Atsushi Ikariya, Tomonori Sudou, and Hisayuki Tabata are on character design. Still no word on what exactly the story will entail.

Takahiro Miura is not the director of Fate/Zero. He directed a couple of episodes and was the director of Kara no Kyoukai Movie #6.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

My bad. ANN cited it in a confusing way.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

psyer posted:

Kara no Kyoukai Movie #6.

Erk. That was the one that got butchered, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Eh, sort of. The material that was replaced always seemed a bit :doh: to me, so I never felt it was that big of a loss. A bigger issue to me was that a plot thread (the fate of one of the characters) was left unresolved, even though ultimately it didn't impact Shiki and company's stories any longer so it was arguably irrelevant. All of this would be up to whomever wrote the script than the director, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

• Locked thread