Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Bubbacub posted:

Did you shatter it or something? Surely getting it repaired would be cheaper than buying a new lens. I have the older Sigma 30, and I've never had focusing problems.

True. Although the repair would cost nearly as much as I bought the lens for. Good to hear about the Sigma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

smallmouth posted:

Does anyone have experience with the Canon EF 28mm? This one.

I broke my Canon EF 35mm a while back and am looking to replace it. Another contender is the Sigma 30mm, but people complaining about AF issues give me pause. I need to stay in the $500 range.

It's a good lens, but an old optical design one. Fast, quiet and accurate proper usm AF. Hazy wide open in bright scenes like the 50/1.4, but sharpens up well even at f2, and not hazy in the dark at any rate. CA can be strong at wide apertures also. Small and light, makes a good normal for APS-C - it's been my goto for ten years for that.

Ethanfr0me
Feb 2, 2012
I'm looking for babby's first DSLR and I want to get the best photo / video capability (50/50 usage) for under $1500. Is the 70d with the kit lens a good bet?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Are you talking just the body or a body and lenses?

Refurbed Nikon D600's are showing for under $1500 so that would be the best bet if you can afford a bit more for glass..

Ethanfr0me
Feb 2, 2012
I'd like to get a body and glass for under $1500

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

bisticles posted:

I recently started renting some studio space, and have this rather interesting piece of gear

An overhead box full of motors and rollers, wired up to this awesome missile lau controller box. Want a blue backdrop? Flip down switch #5 for a few seconds. Dark grey? Switch #2. I can't state how much I love not having to start a shoot by setting up a backdrop stand.

The old studio at my newspaper had a rig like that. It was amazing.

Now the entire old photo wing is shut down and we couldn't get the money to move the backdrop machinery or set up a proper studio in the unfinished storage room, so we have to deal with c-stands for backdrops and Industrial Beige walls reflecting window light in the current "studio" (the Editorial library room -- they pushed the files away from one wall and stuck the fiche readers in a corner). :argh:

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Ethanfr0me posted:

I'd like to get a body and glass for under $1500

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-3-lens-kit-18-135mm/dp/B00FKLQ0FS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395493830&sr=8-1&keywords=pentax+k3+18-135

Pentax may not have the best video, but the k-3 isn't bad at all. On the other hand, it probably is the best crop stills camera on the market right now.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
A lot of people love those Pentaxes, the only issue is with the fact that you can't move on in their system onto full frame but that's probably its only weakness. They also have a cool collection of tiny (slowish but sharp) lenses that are really convenient and light. It even has weather sealing, doesn't it? Either way, most 1080p video out of a Nikon/Canon will be pretty good, and if you're planning on shooting cinema style stuff there are better options for taking that next step, but for most things the HD they shoot is decent.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Ethanfr0me posted:

I'm looking for babby's first DSLR and I want to get the best photo / video capability (50/50 usage) for under $1500. Is the 70d with the kit lens a good bet?
The Sony a77 is worth a look as well. Excellent video autofocus, great resolution with the right glass (the lens bundled above is one such piece), and it's compatible with cheap/good Minolta AF lenses. It had poor reviews early on due to the 1.0 firmware being buggy, but it's pretty nice now.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 23, 2014

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
I have a chance to grab a Canon 28-70mm for about $40 that the owner is selling as parts because he gets an error message on his 1000D about the contacts needing to be cleaned and he says the focus ring is stiff.

Anyone able to speculate on what the issue might be or the worst case scenario cost to have it serviced/repaired?

Also, is there any reason to not put that lens on a 5D assuming it can be fixed?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The 28-70 2.8L? Great lens if you can repair it.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Turns out it isn't the 2.8L :(

Oh well, back to shopping.

If I'm on a budget of $500 or so and want a good general purpose lens for a 5D is there a better option than the Tamron 28-75 2.8?

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 24, 2014

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Has anybody tried this cheap offbrand speedlite? The single-contact all-manual version is 2/3 the price, but $60 is not unreasonable for one that has all the Nikon pins.

Disclaimer: I've used OEM speedlites on pro Nikons, but always in non-TTL modes, due to broke-rear end newspaper gear. Is TTL flash as cool as it sounds? Does the more expensive one linked above work in that mode?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Haven't used Neewer, but I've heard some of their products are rebranded Yongnuo stuff, but I don't know about that one in particular. I've had a great experience with the Yongnuo 468-II, albeit on canon.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Smegmatron posted:

Tamron 28-75 2.8?
That tamron is great.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

If I want to buy a camera through B&H/Adorama/Amazon, does anybody know if any of those websites offer some sort of coupon or discount for signing up for a credit card or email list or something?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Amazon totally does, but I don't think B&H or Adorama have a credit card of their own.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Delivery McGee posted:

Has anybody tried this cheap offbrand speedlite? The single-contact all-manual version is 2/3 the price, but $60 is not unreasonable for one that has all the Nikon pins.

Disclaimer: I've used OEM speedlites on pro Nikons, but always in non-TTL modes, due to broke-rear end newspaper gear. Is TTL flash as cool as it sounds? Does the more expensive one linked above work in that mode?

I'd compare it to Yongnuo's offerings first. I have 2x YN-560 III's and one of the advantage of these is that they have a RF603 trigger built in.

If you want triggers, then all you need is 1 cheap RF603 to fire your flash. 100% solid, I have no complaints switching.

Also, the refresh time of the flash (with eneloop batteries) is close to 1-2 seconds compared to the 10+ seconds I had with my Canon 430ex which was loving painful.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

the_lion posted:

Also, the refresh time of the flash (with eneloop batteries) is close to 1-2 seconds compared to the 10+ seconds I had with my Canon 430ex which was loving painful.
This is the TTL version, in case anybody else was considering it. Will review it when it gets here.

Are Eneloop good? I'd want rechargeable, but my previous experiences with rechargeables in flashes (some years ago, mind) have been less than stellar -- we used rechargeables in the SB-28s when I started at the paper, but then switched to burning Duracells Procells by the case. Ah, corporate budgets -- never get new gear, but the consumables flow like water :v:.

Also got a cheapass mic (Shenggu SG-108), for when I start getting into video. Reviews are mixed (and all the 1-star are user error, forgot to take the shrinkwrap off the battery and/or don't realize the light isn't supposed to stay on), but worth a try. Anybody tried it? Do DSLR video mics also work when plugged into computers?

And a bunch of other odds and ends. All this because I ran out of gaffer tape. Since I'm buying something anyway, might as well spend my tax refund and save on shipping...

Speaking of which, if any of you have somehow not heard of gaffer tape, buy a roll. It's like duct tape but better in every way.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

evil_bunnY posted:

That tamron is great.

I went with that one over the 17-50 (HERESY!), and yeah it is wonderful.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Delivery McGee posted:

Speaking of which, if any of you have somehow not heard of gaffer tape, buy a roll. It's like duct tape but better in every way.

I really want to get a roll of industry tape and see if it's actually any better than normal gaffer's tape: https://industrytape.com/

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Eneloops are very, very good. They work great in my flash.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

powderific posted:

I really want to get a roll of industry tape and see if it's actually any better than normal gaffer's tape: https://industrytape.com/

As far as I can tell from the website, it's normal gaffer tape in half-length rolls. It may be rather nice gaffer tape (quality does vary among brands), but it's still just gaffer tape.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

Eneloops are very, very good. They work great in my flash.

I second that, Eneloops are great and compared to alkaline batteries the recycle times on my flashes are really quick now.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Jumping back to the 6D question, I went with it because the AF on the 5D3 isn't a big deal to me and I could spend the money on FF glass to replace my crop gear. It came with a 24-105 f4, which I thought I'd sell and buy a 24-70 2.8. Also the the wifi and GPS seemed cool.

Now that I've been on the road traveling and shooting for the past three weeks, I'm very happy with my choice. I though I wouldn't be happy with the 24-105 f4, but it turns out f4 on a FF camera is the same as f2.8 on a crop camera. Basically, it beats the crap out of the 17-50 2.8 Tamron I'm used to using.

Wifi has proven to be a great feature. I use it to send photos to my ipad/iphone on which I do quick edits on for Facebook. No more having to shoot photos twice or wait a week or two for proper edits.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Delivery McGee posted:

Are Eneloop good? I'd want rechargeable, but my previous experiences with rechargeables in flashes (some years ago, mind) have been less than stellar -- we used rechargeables in the SB-28s when I started at the paper, but then switched to burning Duracells Procells by the case. Ah, corporate budgets -- never get new gear, but the consumables flow like water :v:.

Eneloops are apparently awesome but basically just make sure whatever battery you're using is NiMH. It's pretty much the only battery chemistry that can provide absurd amounts of current for short periods of time without significant sag in voltage (unlike, say, alkaline, which would run screaming) which is pretty much exactly what you want for recycling a flash. The downside is poor shelf life between chargings (although this has recently gotten better).

Your previous experience with rechargeables was probably NiCd, which is also absolute idiot garbage with absolutely no advantage over any currently available battery chemistry and should be forgotten about as quickly as possible.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SoundMonkey posted:

Eneloops are apparently awesome but basically just make sure whatever battery you're using is NiMH. It's pretty much the only battery chemistry that can provide absurd amounts of current for short periods of time without significant sag in voltage (unlike, say, alkaline, which would run screaming) which is pretty much exactly what you want for recycling a flash. The downside is poor shelf life between chargings (although this has recently gotten better).

Your previous experience with rechargeables was probably NiCd, which is also absolute idiot garbage with absolutely no advantage over any currently available battery chemistry and should be forgotten about as quickly as possible.

NiCads are also able to deliver absurd amounts of current for short periods of time - moreso than NiMH actually, due to their lower internal resistance. They just have other lovely discharge characteristics, like cell memory.

The advantage of Eneloops in particular is they have really low self-discharge, they can be left charged for months to years.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Paul MaudDib posted:

NiCads are also able to deliver absurd amounts of current for short periods of time - moreso than NiMH actually, due to their lower internal resistance. They just have other lovely discharge characteristics, like cell memory.

The advantage of Eneloops in particular is they have really low self-discharge, they can be left charged for months to years.

Yeah, I just meant that if one isn't an Eneloop-haver, NiMH is still the chemistry to go for. And yeah it was the memory effect that really killed NiCd, not that NiMH is rechargable an infinite number of times, but they do last a good long while. I think even the newer non-eneloop NiMHs are starting to get markedly better about the self-discharge though.

This is incredibly oversimplified, but basically if you want respectable-but-average performance under load and excellent shelf life, use alkaline. If you want enormous energy density and minimal weight (at the expense of how much current you can safely draw at any given time), use lithium polymer. If you want something that provides huge amounts of power without voltage sag, use NiMH. And if you want something that's incapable of providing anything even approaching high current but is tiny and will last forever, use silver oxide or lithium button cells.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The white Amazon basics NiMH are the same cell as I forget which generation of eneloop and are great. The low self discharge thing is really nice and makes a difference for me.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I was all set to buy the Domke Gripper 1.5, but the only places that ship to Canada have ridiculous shipping costs:

BH ends up costing like $42, Adorama around the same, and various sellers, after shipping, are closer to $30.

Any alternatives that are good and that I can actually get in Canada?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Wild EEPROM posted:

I was all set to buy the Domke Gripper 1.5, but the only places that ship to Canada have ridiculous shipping costs:

BH ends up costing like $42, Adorama around the same, and various sellers, after shipping, are closer to $30.

Any alternatives that are good and that I can actually get in Canada?

http://camera-traders.com stocked them last time I looked, if it's not on their website, call them. It's where I got mine.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

SoundMonkey posted:

Eneloops are apparently awesome but basically just make sure whatever battery you're using is NiMH ...

Yeah, probably NiCd back in '00.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I looked at batteries today, and it seems that Eneloops have a lower amp-hour rating than their Energizer competitors, but the holding-a-charge is pretty ballin' -- my Energizer rechargeables go maybe two weeks unused without recharging.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I'm having a lot of fun experimenting with an old olympus om10 - I've just been using the standard 50mm zuiko lense so far but am keen to get a couple of others.
This may be a totally dumb question, I'm still pretty new to SLRs. When I'm looking at a telephoto lense which says 'auto zoom', like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLYMPUS-O...=item48633e69fb

What does 'auto zoom' mean in this context?

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

El Grillo posted:

I'm having a lot of fun experimenting with an old olympus om10 - I've just been using the standard 50mm zuiko lense so far but am keen to get a couple of others.
This may be a totally dumb question, I'm still pretty new to SLRs. When I'm looking at a telephoto lense which says 'auto zoom', like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLYMPUS-O...=item48633e69fb

Not sure what 'auto zoom' means, but why does the description say it's both a 75-100mm and 75-150mm zoom? Pretty big difference there.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

El Grillo posted:

I think it's not really "auto-zoom" as much as it's both "auto" and "zoom". It's a zoom lens, and it allows the camera to operate in auto-exposure mode, by having some sort of coupling between camera and the lens' aperture control.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Everything you might want to know about that lens http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/htmls/75150mm.htm

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
You guys are awesome, and ^^that is a cool resource Despair

nielsm posted:

I think it's not really "auto-zoom" as much as it's both "auto" and "zoom". It's a zoom lens, and it allows the camera to operate in auto-exposure mode, by having some sort of coupling between camera and the lens' aperture control.

Yeah, of course! For some insane reason I forgot that the OM10 actually has auto-exposure... Been trying out astrophotography with it so B mode is all I've used the past couple of days.
Now let's see if I can win that ebay auction...

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

El Grillo posted:

You guys are awesome, and ^^that is a cool resource Despair

It's basically the go-to place to look up camera/lens specs if you don't want to look at K-Rock's godawful site or read his terrible opinions.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

SoundMonkey posted:

It's basically the go-to place to look up camera/lens specs if you don't want to look at K-Rock's godawful site or read his terrible opinions.

Excuse me, I always go to K-rock's site first for a good laugh (just making sure not to accidentally click any referral links). :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheeswhiz
Nov 21, 2003

ketchup fucking sucks
I'm looking for a wide angle lens for landscape. I currently have a d7000 with 2 lenses (nikon 50mm 1.8d and Tamron 70mm - 300mm VC). The 50mm is OK for landscape but I'm really looking for something wider. I'm open to new or used and I'm not looking to spend a ton since I just picked up the Tamron. Any suggestions?

I was looking at the nikon 18mm - 55mm which has pretty decent reviews and can be picked up for around $100 used at KEH. Anyone have experience with that lens? I know it's bargain barrel but people seem to like it.