Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
My favorite bit of the whole Tzimisce infection thing is that literally every member of the Sabbat is infected. Every member of the Sword of Caine, a militant cult which exists solely to oppose the Antediluvians, gets turned into an extension of Tzimisce whenever the Antediluvian feels like it. It's not just a battle that they probably won't win- it's a battle they'll never exist long enough to fight in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Frost Uncle posted:

Ahahahah remember how a bunch of people want to play as Antediluvians in the WoD MMO?

I'm pretty sure this game isn't gonna be just the world's largest pen and paper session and the community isn't going to be fine giving "WeedSemen666" the ability to take casual bites out of the sun.

Being an Antediluvian in the MMO would be like being given GM powers and being told you have a daily, hourly, by-the-minute responsibility to abuse them in the worst and most over the top sadistic way possible. Even Saulot was kind of a dick since he forces you to be diablerized in the Crucible of God storyline.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Mar 19, 2014

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Saulot's a dick anyway, he sired the Baali.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
To BE? Which would make you dead? I figure you meant he forced you TO, unless he actually did kill the PC's.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

To BE? Which would make you dead? I figure you meant he forced you TO, unless he actually did kill the PC's.

I forget which. Either he forced you to be diablerized, or he diablerized you. The end result is the same.

Plus, where God is concerned i'm not really sure it matters in this setting. He can keep people alive through some ridiculous stuff, as Caine demonstrates.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

So... mods. Camarilla, Final Nights, whatever. Which are good, which are compatible with each other and Wesp's patch?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fuzz posted:

In this game there's no way you have a low generation because knowing LaCroix's history, he would have immediately diablerized you, plus his Dominate would never have worked on you in the first place. They make it pretty clear that you're practically a thin blood and are only 13th, maybe 12th generation.
Actually, the size of your blood pool pegs you at something oddly low. I think it puts you about 7th gen?

I don't remember how many you can store in the game, but it does match up to the generation chart in the pen&paper RPG. Maybe 8th?

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Xander77 posted:

So... mods. Camarilla, Final Nights, whatever. Which are good, which are compatible with each other and Wesp's patch?

Generally, VtMB mods do not play nice with each other unless you use the Clan Quest Mod, which has an installer for a bunch of different mods. Even then, you need to keep track of what mods in the installer may conflict with each other. I know that the Planet-Vampire page for it has a tab detailing each of the mods and what they clash with.

Edit: Here's the page for it, just go to Integrated Mods

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Zereth posted:

Actually, the size of your blood pool pegs you at something oddly low. I think it puts you about 7th gen?

I don't remember how many you can store in the game, but it does match up to the generation chart in the pen&paper RPG. Maybe 8th?

You have 15 blood points in Bloodlines which corresponds to 8th Generation if I'm remembering right. By comparison, in the pen and paper game you have to pay points at character creation to start with a lower generation than 13th.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

WrightOfWay posted:

You have 15 blood points in Bloodlines which corresponds to 8th Generation if I'm remembering right. By comparison, in the pen and paper game you have to pay points at character creation to start with a lower generation than 13th.

You would need to use all 5 of your starting background points to be 8th Generation at the start of the game, leaving you without anything else. Since you start with almost no ressources and are purely at the beck and call of the Prince for a while, it actually makes sense. However, your sire getting killed so easily starts looking weird.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

You would need to use all 5 of your starting background points to be 8th Generation at the start of the game, leaving you without anything else. Since you start with almost no ressources and are purely at the beck and call of the Prince for a while, it actually makes sense. However, your sire getting killed so easily starts looking weird.

A huegass sword to the neck of an unresisting vampire kills just about all of them.

Saoirse
Jun 24, 2004

I still like to pretend that Caine sired the PC himself and that explains why my Malkavian has the extra disciplines I cheated myself via the console for my 10th playthrough.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Pope Guilty posted:

A huegass sword to the neck of an unresisting vampire kills just about all of them.

Either that or half the vampires in the room could probably pop the sire with their minds if they all focused on it, honestly. The sire was screwed no matter what. (I'll also accept 'it's a videogame and not the tabletop and creative liberties were taken to set up the story' as a valid answer)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Generally, VtMB mods do not play nice with each other unless you use the Clan Quest Mod, which has an installer for a bunch of different mods. Even then, you need to keep track of what mods in the installer may conflict with each other. I know that the Planet-Vampire page for it has a tab detailing each of the mods and what they clash with.

Yes, but which are good and worth playing? The final Wesp patch readme notes that it shouldn't be installed alongside any mods - is that correct?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Clan Quest is great, there's pretty much everything in there. Wesp is included.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Xander77 posted:

Yes, but which are good and worth playing? The final Wesp patch readme notes that it shouldn't be installed alongside any mods - is that correct?

Read the second post.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Xander77 posted:

The mods all have to update to the latest patch before they play nice. Clan Quest is currently a fair bit behind on the patches. I think Camarilla Edition is the most up to date and I seem to remember it being fairly good when I played it with Clan Quest. I also liked the Arsenal Mod, which changes and updates the weapons and adds some stuff, like grenades.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Aren't virtually all recent Wesp patches pretty much "I moved this to here, because reasons"? At this point in Bloodline's community development, it's kind of hard to see where they could go from in terms of bugfixes since the patches actually bring the game up to a huge standard. Not perfect, but easily as good as some actual major releases.

I've played VTM with the patches, without them (as much as I possibly could) and with Clan Quest mod and with Clan Quest it just seems like a much more complete, fleshed out and fun product. I think that was largely in part thanks to the Camarilla part of it, which makes certain things much better (Tremere is still easy mode, but god drat the other clans get some nice stuff too)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Really anyone who could disable or explode humans on command was pretty broken. You end up fighting comparatively fewer vamps and freaks.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Archonex posted:

Ravnos by contrast succumbed to getting pinned down by Kuei-Jin elders until the technocracy could nuke and then fry his rear end. It pretty much hosed everything up in the long run, but he's deader than dead. If he was able to use those powers to warp reality he definitely didn't use them as well as he could have.

A friend of mine who is really big into Vampire said that there were authors playing with the idea that his death was simply another Chimeristry trick, and that he'd fled when the Technocracy used their orbital cannon instead of dying.

But, yeah, compared to a world plague, a guy who basically warps reality only in his specific range is going to be outclassed.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

That's not a problem, that's one of the best parts. gently caress these computer games, let's get a PnP going!

If we get one going, I'll bite. Never played the PnP, but it seems weird and fun.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I've recently realized that I've never actually played a Nosferatu character. I tried it out recently, and :drat: it's almost like playing a completely different game. The parts of the game where I sort of coasted along on certain factors are completely different because now I have to take into account the fact that I'm a walking abomination and adjust accordingly.

This really is the game that keeps on giving.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Couple of questions about the best mods to use for a first runthrough:

The Unofficial patch is up to 8.9, but the version that comes packed with Clan Quest is still 7.9. Can I install the Unofficial patch separate from CQ?

Same with Camarilla, it's got a Final version up on http://www.patches-scrolls.de/, can I install that and skip whatever is packaged with CQ?

Is it better to use the Widescreen mod or just enter that console command from the OP?

Thanks in advance, I'm on some kind of RPG kick right now, looking to adding this game into my rotation with Witcher and DragonAge.

\/\/\/ Fair enough, but I'm holding you responsible if the UFP 8.9 moved some furniture around that really brings out a different aspect to the gameplay :mad:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 22, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Just install the latest version of clan quest. The unofficial patches have pretty much reached the point where the only substantial changes are to the way they believe the game "should" be, and other mods are already in a perfectly workable, good state.

No need to overly complicate things. Everything that needs to be done to the game has been done, right now it's just an issue of personal preference.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

OAquinas posted:

Edit: You mean the WoD MMO that's never going to see the light of day (or night, for that matter)? If CCP manages to release it before 2016 I'll be incredibly surprised.

It seems like they should be waaayyy more interested in getting their vampire MMO onto the market than they are. What with Star Citizen and its hundreds of thousands of preorders looming over the horizon.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

It seems like they should be waaayyy more interested in getting their vampire MMO onto the market than they are. What with Star Citizen and its hundreds of thousands of preorders looming over the horizon.

Star Citizen is a scam so they don't really have to worry.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

\/\/\/ Fair enough, but I'm holding you responsible if the UFP 8.9 moved some furniture around that really brings out a different aspect to the gameplay :mad:

Actually there was a significant gameplay change introduced in the 8.0 patch: Wesp discovered a way to remove the werewolf's plot invincibility, so you can try to fight it straight up as opposed to doing the observatory doors bit. It's the toughest fight in the game though; even harder than the final bosses.

EightDeer fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 23, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

EightDeer posted:

Actually there was a significant gameplay change introduced in the 8.0 patch: Wesp discovered a way to remove the werewolf's plot invincibility, so you can try to fight it straight up as opposed to doing the observatory doors bit. It's the toughest fight in the game though; even harder than the final bosses.

Is it more annoying than Ming Xiao? Because that fight has literally never been fun on a single character ever ever ever ever ever ever ever.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

EightDeer posted:

I can't imagine why you would want to do this since even the most difficult boss fight in the game is already a tedious spongy slog even with the powers you do get.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I never go the "just flamethrower her" thing either - a full tank does barely any damage.

Is it just me, or is Mr Ox's shop full of unique assets there just to illustrate a minor setpiece? I can't think of any game willing to put in that effort now, much less back in the day.

(Hell, I can barely think of a game that will have people moving around and gesticulating non-randomly during dialog, Half Life aside)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Xander77 posted:

(Hell, I can barely think of a game that will have people moving around and gesticulating non-randomly during dialog, Half Life aside)
Well, it is (a beta version of) the Half-Life 2 engine. Animation choreography for voiceovers and blending "gesture" animations for models were kind of their big crazy thing. I mean, other than crazy physics crap.

(Semi-related fun trivia: Apparently there's at least one entity in the Bloodlines maps labelled "fuckvalve" and one labelled "fuckactivision". I'm guessing Troika weren't much fans of Source's... eccentricities. :v:)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

You definitely want the flamethrower for Ming Xiao, since with a full tank and full reloads it'll take down about half her health, but you'll still have to do it yourself.

On the other hand, the Andrei fight in the Hallowbrook is basically trivialized by it- it utterly destroys him.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Mr. Ox was such a neat character. He was very Leland Gaunt with the way he ran a small shop that didn't take money, but had you go do 'favors' that resulted in horrible things happening. That and the way you can do nothing to him physically, he'll just laugh at you.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Is there a console command for making Yukie like you enough to join you for the temple assault? It's almost like a pure rear end in a top hat playthrough has consequences or something.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

The Kins posted:

Well, it is (a beta version of) the Half-Life 2 engine. Animation choreography for voiceovers and blending "gesture" animations for models were kind of their big crazy thing. I mean, other than crazy physics crap.

(Semi-related fun trivia: Apparently there's at least one entity in the Bloodlines maps labelled "fuckvalve" and one labelled "fuckactivision". I'm guessing Troika weren't much fans of Source's... eccentricities. :v:)

Any ideas which ones?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Got some weird texture issues on my recently started game, using Wesp 8.9.

I don't have any screenshots because apparently the steam overlay doesn't play nice with this game, but I noticed that the calendar on the wall up in the tutorial area where you hack the computer had a bright background, like the transparency was broken. Other wall things had similar issues as well, and out in the alley where you feed on that bum the graffiti was flickering and overlapped with each other.

Anyone else run into something like this?

EDIT: found the screenshot button

Krowley fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 23, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Is there a similar link with a functional download?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
http://www.moddb.com/mods/vtmb-clan-quest-mod

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

The Kins posted:

Are they in the base game? I remember reading that was added in the fan patch.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Krowley posted:

Got some weird texture issues on my recently started game, using Wesp 8.9.

I don't have any screenshots because apparently the steam overlay doesn't play nice with this game, but I noticed that the calendar on the wall up in the tutorial area where you hack the computer had a bright background, like the transparency was broken. Other wall things had similar issues as well, and out in the alley where you feed on that bum the graffiti was flickering and overlapped with each other.

Anyone else run into something like this?

EDIT: found the screenshot button

I'm getting similar issues, playing on a laptop... Haven't narrowed down the cause yet though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

tentacles posted:

I'm getting similar issues, playing on a laptop... Haven't narrowed down the cause yet though

I ran the installer again as administrator and it seemed to fix things.

• Locked thread