Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Smash it Smash hit posted:

If you pump too much signal and you get a square wave, sometimes a square wave can shoot a signal nearly 10 times the rated amp. Thats why when the amp is clipping ALOT its smart to kind of stop doing that. And when it does peak at nearly ten times its rating the voice coil can get fried very easily.

Did you smell burning wire when the cab died? If not, try plugging it in later, some cabs actually have a "kill switch" inside the circuitry to turn off the signal if you overload it. Found this out the hardway (or easy way?) with my 215.

I did smell something burning, and plugging in again today gave me nothing. Does that mean the wiring needs to be replaced, or whole new speakers, or both? And how do I prevent this from happening again once it's fixed? I'm in kind of a sludgy/doom metal band so blasting people with a fuzz pedal is kind of a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bourbon
Sep 17, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

There are other kinds of flats? :raise:

Thomastik-Infeld Jazz noodles.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Seventh Arrow posted:

There are other kinds of flats? :raise:

I love LaBella's, but I think I like the DR Legend flats even more.

Finally got SF Guitarworks to mount the ramp on my fretless Fo Real. Feels great.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Bruce Boxliker posted:

I did smell something burning, and plugging in again today gave me nothing. Does that mean the wiring needs to be replaced, or whole new speakers, or both? And how do I prevent this from happening again once it's fixed? I'm in kind of a sludgy/doom metal band so blasting people with a fuzz pedal is kind of a thing.

You have to know the limits of your speakers and your amp. If your amp clips too early, its a bad thing. If your speakers are rated low, its a bad thing. Its a give/take, trial/error experience really.

If it smelled like burning, my money says that the voice coil is fried. Get access to the speakers and push evenly on the cone (the big paper part of the speaker) and I guarantee you will feel/hear a scratching sound. Its dead.

What head are you playing out of and what fuzz are you toying with? And what was/is your cab? What is your guitarist(s) using?

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

I've never had a chance to try anything else than chromes or GHS vintage flats, all this talk is making me want to explore some more. How would you guys compare TI's and LaBellas to chromes?

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I love LaBella's, but I think I like the DR Legend flats even more.

Finally got SF Guitarworks to mount the ramp on my fretless Fo Real. Feels great.

What does the ramp do? Prevent you from digging in too much?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Doomy posted:

I've never had a chance to try anything else than chromes or GHS vintage flats, all this talk is making me want to explore some more. How would you guys compare TI's and LaBellas to chromes?

Never tried GHS.

I've always found Chromes to be rather bright when new compared to LaBellas. The LaBellas also carry more tension (imo) than both the Chromes and TIs. To me, the TIs are like playing cooked spaghetti.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I swear that bass guitars have some of the worst visual designs I have ever seen in an instrument.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Picked up a new bass!

It's not worth posting a picture because it's a generic black strat JBass, the thing that makes it worth mentioning is the head stock:

If I removed 'Starcaster' from the head stock and replaced it with 'Fender' nobody would be able to tell the difference. For only $200 new (and I got it set up for free) it plays and sounds absolutely incredible. The action is lower than any other bass I've ever played, so far the only problem I have with it is that it's boring to look at.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

For speed, is it simply a case of a) play more/more comfortably and b) slowly increment bpm? I'm trying to nail that horn break in Sir Duke and it's just murdering me.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Stravinsky posted:

I swear that bass guitars have some of the worst visual designs I have ever seen in an instrument.

I absolutely agree. Bass guitars tend to be quite ugly, and a lot of bassists are drawn to the ugly basses. Even classics like the J-bass have an unnecessary blob where the input jack is. This is something my girlfriend pointed out to me during my bass shopping excursions over the last few months, most basses are very blobby, asymmetric things, and it often feels like very little design thought was put into them. Some of the nicest basses are just awful to look at, like Bongos and basically everything Carvin makes.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Doomy posted:

Yeah, it's to give a consistent feel between the fretboard and pickup, to give a backstop for faster playing, and to force you to play lighter and let the notes bloom instead of choke out. It's awesome for fretless. Or just see what Gary Willis says about it.

Stravinsky posted:

Such as?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Southern Heel posted:

For speed, is it simply a case of a) play more/more comfortably and b) slowly increment bpm? I'm trying to nail that horn break in Sir Duke and it's just murdering me.

Supposedly both. In my previous band, I got murdered by the chorus in Immigrant Song, where JPJ does those mixolydian scales in sixteenth notes. Admittedly I never nailed it, but I've seen Tom Hamilton do it fingerstyle, so it's doable.

Also, has anyone ever tried R Cocco roundwounds? I've been curious about them for a while.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Doomy posted:

I've tried Chromes, GHS Precision and Brite Flats, Ernie Ball flats and LaBella DT flats. Out of all of those, I like Chromes the best, because they seem to me to have the most balanced tension and sound. I find the GHS and Ernie Ball flats lacking in character, and the LaBellas too mellow for my taste.

I've actually switched back to rounds, though. DR Lo-Riders are working very well on my Warmoth J/P.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Southern Heel posted:

Definitely recommend it for that one. Even though it's fast, it still swings, so keeping the groove in it is essential. I like to practice it both playing staccato and hammer-ons all the way through, it's a good workout! I also tend to make it up as I go along in the choruses, I've never heard anyone play those the way it was done on the record.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Supposedly both. In my previous band, I got murdered by the chorus in Immigrant Song, where JPJ does those mixolydian scales in sixteenth notes. Admittedly I never nailed it, but I've seen Tom Hamilton do it fingerstyle, so it's doable.

I just look at that one and go "nope my fingers aren't going to do that". Unless he's cheating with a pick which is almost doable for me but only barely. I'm much happier being able to nail Ramble On with the fingers.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

ewe2 posted:

I just look at that one and go "nope my fingers aren't going to do that". Unless he's cheating with a pick which is almost doable for me but only barely. I'm much happier being able to nail Ramble On with the fingers.

JPJ did use a pick on that track, but like I said I saw the Aerosmith guy do it fingerstyle so I guess it must be possible.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Seventh Arrow posted:

JPJ did use a pick on that track, but like I said I saw the Aerosmith guy do it fingerstyle so I guess it must be possible.

I decided to check it out, and its making my left hand melt a little, but it's definitely doable. Just need more practice... maybe. As a fun bonus, you can play the verses slap bass style like Infectious Grooves does it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eORgaojWu6o

What a cool cover :allears:

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Ericadia posted:

I absolutely agree. Bass guitars tend to be quite ugly, and a lot of bassists are drawn to the ugly basses. Even classics like the J-bass have an unnecessary blob where the input jack is. This is something my girlfriend pointed out to me during my bass shopping excursions over the last few months, most basses are very blobby, asymmetric things, and it often feels like very little design thought was put into them. Some of the nicest basses are just awful to look at, like Bongos and basically everything Carvin makes.

Luckily the best bass is also the best looking. Leo got it right the first technically third I guess time. :colbert:

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Prime example would be anything made by Carvin.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Stravinsky posted:

Prime example would be anything made by Carvin.

Carvin also makes some horrible looking guitars. Most bass designs are all based on electric guitar counterparts. The Bunny Brunel line is alright though, that guy may look quirky* but he's always got pretty good taste in design.

*Met him in person at NAMM '12, he's got a personality to match and is very difficult to understand. Needless to say our conversation didn't go on very long.

E. My agreement in the antithesis would be a bass I almost considered a week ago for it's sale price, the Dan Kenny Signature DK-5. Good build quality, pretty good electronics, even the body shape wasn't terrible, but Dan Kenny seemed to like putting in these differently sized pyramid inlays which just killed the deal.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 23, 2014

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Or maybe most guitar shapes come from basses... The classic double-cutaway shape of a Stratocaster first appeared on Fender's Precision bass, 3 years before the stratocaster was developed.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
A lot of companies don't seem to consider balance at all when designing their basses. The length of the upper horn and placement of the strap buttons is crucial to playability.

It's pretty amazing how much Leo Fender got right.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Sublime beauty or seizure-inducing freakshow?

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Seventh Arrow posted:

Gross!

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Seventh Arrow posted:

Absolutely.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

What's the scale length on that bad boy? Or is black and white just really slimming?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I seem to recall that Ricks use some sort of odd scale length - like not quite 34", something like 33.5".

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Close, 4003s are 33 1/4".

I love the way Ricks sound, but I've never felt comfortable playing one.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

My 4003 looks just like that, except I swapped the silver thing over the bridge pickup for some aftermarket thing that looks like more pick guard. It was in the way.

I wouldn't have picked it for its looks, but I got used to that, and I like the sound. Short scale is easier to play, for sure.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!
If I could afford a Rick I'd buy it in a microsecond. They're just too drat pricy, for that much I could get a custom bass with everything just the way I'd like it.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I'm weird in that I love the way Rickenbacker basses look...until someone takes the pickguard off, at which point I think it looks hideous.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
Lets talk about some more ugly rear end basses that are popular in spite of their weird misshapen features and tortoiseshell pick guards:

The Thunderbird is frustrating to me, because I feel like it is ALMOST there. The shape is so close to being pleasing, but it has this "hand drawn" look to it in the body that bothers me.

And of course:

It's not so much the toilet seat, more the fisher price look

But, well, how about something that most of us might agree is pretty grotesque looking:

Disclaimer: this is mostly tongue-in-cheek, please don't kidnap and murder me.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Let's not forget Wishbass:

Just in case you wanted an instrument that used to be a picnic table.

edit: ok, they're not popular but they're fun to ridicule

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like that last one honestly, I'd pluck it.

Juaguocio posted:

A lot of companies don't seem to consider balance at all when designing their basses. The length of the upper horn and placement of the strap buttons is crucial to playability.

It's pretty amazing how much Leo Fender got right.

I've been on a massive quest for years when it comes to finding the most intelligently and well thought out instruments and yep, Leo nailed that poo poo. Fender is still doing it today too. They're slaughtering Gibson when it comes to being futuristic (headstock tuners vs great iOS support is just one way) and they don't have many huge clunkers in terms of design or company focus. They've got great instruments from budget to rich dad level. Now all they need to do is bring back Sunn and I'll be an insufferable fanboy for life.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Gibson is completely worthless when it comes to bass and mostly worthless in general.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Gibson is completely worthless when it comes to bass and mostly worthless in general.

It's like you are me :hfive:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I love the Les Paul, the general feel of the SG (build flaws aside), and some of their basses but I can't say much good about them as a company. They had a few really great ideas and everything else is poo poo from top to bottom. It will never happen but I would love to see them start losing money so bad that they have to actually start playing the competition game again. They're not incompetent they just don't seem to give a poo poo as long as they're making bank. So frustrating!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I really like my Les Paul bass, but I've never been crazy about the baseball bat neck. I wonder if I'd be able to transplant a Money Bass neck onto it (putting aside for the moment the difficulties involved in getting a Money Bass neck...I think they were a limited run of 400 or something).

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

In my experience Gibson basses all sound muddy and they don't have great necks. The only one I've ever really liked was the Grabber and I guess Thunderbirds are also acceptable.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Grabbers and Thunderbirds are cool. EB-0s and EB-3s are also good basses. Or they were, I haven't played any current production Gibson basses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

FancyMike posted:

Grabbers and Thunderbirds are cool. EB-0s and EB-3s are also good basses. Or they were, I haven't played any current production Gibson basses.

Is that the one that got stolen along with their entire truck full of gear? Or the most recent replacement?

Also that's the only way to make a gibson bass sound awesome. mod the gently caress out of it. I do want an old Ripper and G3 though, just because, you know, Rick Danko.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 26, 2014