Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Hope this doesn't count as a double post but I haven't really posted anything in awhile.

I've been playing around with paper drawing animations again. Pretty much I draw the pieces on paper and assemble them in Photoshop.
Didn't use it much here, the only thing paper drawn was the dragon(static) and the eye-lid and tounge.
It's not efficient at all but meh. I just wish I knew how to reduce artifacts when I scan things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014
OK, I'm trying out Toon Boom Studio and hoo boy, this is way too advanced for where I am right now and what I'm trying to do.
Should I stick with it or find something more...beginner-friendly? All I need is the ability to animate frame-by-frame (onionskinning and all that) and the ability to import audio

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Are you on Mac or Windows (or Linux)?

For Mac there's Animation Desk, which I've never used but people seem to like. For Windows, use Plastic Animation Paper. Speaking of which --

Good news, everyone, the PAP team is making a new version, OSX native. Watch that site for updates.

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014
Where's the option to insert the audio in PAP? Am I just blind and overlooking it?
Disregard, I think I found it, looks like I've got some experimenting (read: dicking around until something goes right) to do

nikochansan fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 15, 2014

Jewel
May 2, 2009

This is Not My Art, but I found it on Tumblr and I had to share, the animation/style is incredible unique and simultaneously very valuable as study material.

Source

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
I was about to say that their illustration style is very similar to Sachin Teng and then I clicked the link and it is Sachin Teng.

He is one impressive dude.

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014
OK, after putzing around all day and doing something extremely desperate (trying to animate in SAI while exporting the frames to MonkeyJam), I realize my solution isn't to abandon Toon Boom, but to simply ask "how exactly do i animate frame-by-frame in Toon Boom Studio, if possible? You know, onion skinning and all that?" The version I pirated acquired is 4.5.

I am an incompetent baby who looks for things with my mouth instead of my eyes. I figured out how to do what I wanted to do in Toon Boom, so alright, there's that. I won't post again until I have some significant progress to share. I'll make sure it's worth it!

nikochansan fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 16, 2014

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nikochansan posted:

OK, I'm trying out Toon Boom Studio and hoo boy, this is way too advanced for where I am right now and what I'm trying to do.
Should I stick with it or find something more...beginner-friendly? All I need is the ability to animate frame-by-frame (onionskinning and all that) and the ability to import audio

Toon Boom is pretty amazing. If you have the patience they have their entire tutorial video series online here:
https://www.toonboom.com/resources/video-tutorials/toon-boom-animate

I'd recommend TB to anyone that is currently using Flash. It's like Flash except there are built in systems that make animating WAY faster and easier. The ability to rig characters, build 3d planes, audio lip sync, and use modules is very powerful in terms of the quality of your final product and the speed in which you get it done.

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014

SymfonyMan posted:

Toon Boom is pretty amazing. If you have the patience they have their entire tutorial video series online here:
https://www.toonboom.com/resources/video-tutorials/toon-boom-animate

I'd recommend TB to anyone that is currently using Flash. It's like Flash except there are built in systems that make animating WAY faster and easier. The ability to rig characters, build 3d planes, audio lip sync, and use modules is very powerful in terms of the quality of your final product and the speed in which you get it done.

I've been using Toon Boom Studio (found a torrent for version 8 and am using that now I have since then purchased a copy of Studio 8) and I have to agree. I mean, I probably won't rig any characters any time soon or do the auto lipsync, but in doing pure frame-by-frame animation, it does exactly what I was setting out to do. I can't wait until I've gotten enough progress to show you guys a WIP, I really like what I have so far!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nikochansan fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 22, 2014

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Hi guys, I hope I'm posting this in the right thread. I want to create some explosion and smoke sprites but want them to look really cartoony and fluid. Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwrbyVaC6EU

3 minutes 12 seconds is excellent reference.

Does anyone know of any good tutorials or advice on making these?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I don't know of any tutorials or anything but have you tried giving it a go yourself?
You pretty much know how you want the explosion to look, and you've got that video as a reference.
I think you just go for it.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Okay, thread. I got a question for you now.
I'm doing a bit of animation project now, see? Nyah.
One of the objectives for said project is to do it in the most painful fashion possible - what I've been doing.
Drawing pieces, putting them together in Photoshop. I want to rely on computer trickery as little as possible.

Frankly, I'd like to draw them in the ye olden' days fashion but I don't know if I can do that.

While I know CC probably looks down on people who post stuff that isn't finished or good but I honestly couldn't give less of a gently caress if it helps me get stronger.

So, here's this crow:

So far, I'm pretty okay with the wings and body shape (save for some clean up, and a need to make a new wing shape for when the crow has landed) but the legs. I absolutely hate the legs. I'm probably going to redraw them but I wouldn't mind if someone could give me something of an explanation why they are so terrible.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

scarycave posted:

So, here's this crow:

So far, I'm pretty okay with the wings and body shape (save for some clean up, and a need to make a new wing shape for when the crow has landed) but the legs. I absolutely hate the legs. I'm probably going to redraw them but I wouldn't mind if someone could give me something of an explanation why they are so terrible.
As far as I'm concerned, CC is a great place to post works in progress, so don't feel bad at all.

For one thing, you have the legs on backwards. Bird legs are weird. Their knees are up inside the body, so what you see is the shin and foot, i.e., the ankle.

aton
Jul 23, 2008
Edit: same as above

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Wow, I'm an idiot. I don't know how I kept looking at the legs and didn't realize that.

I'm definetly liking these legs a lot better.
Thanks for the help.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

concerned mom posted:

Hi guys, I hope I'm posting this in the right thread. I want to create some explosion and smoke sprites but want them to look really cartoony and fluid. Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwrbyVaC6EU

3 minutes 12 seconds is excellent reference.

Does anyone know of any good tutorials or advice on making these?

This book is great. Effects animation is a lot of fun. You can pretty much always animate it straight ahead! Smooth smoke and small explosions and gunfire are all extrapolations of some of the simplest tenets of animation- spacing and easing. You're going to have a rough time doing anything without the a good grasp on the basic concepts. That video is a famous example of a very good animator making very good effects animation.

Speaking of going the right way about learning how to animate...scarycave, you're really making a lot of stuff, and I know you're just "going for it" like the advice you gave a few posts down(AND I ADMIRE YOUR SCRAPPY SPIRIT) but it's probably time to pick up the animators survival kit and learn those core principles. This is a helpful thing to say and not a jerky thing.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

bitmap posted:

Speaking of going the right way about learning how to animate...scarycave, you're really making a lot of stuff, and I know you're just "going for it" like the advice you gave a few posts down(AND I ADMIRE YOUR SCRAPPY SPIRIT) but it's probably time to pick up the animators survival kit and learn those core principles. This is a helpful thing to say and not a jerky thing.

bean_mcbean
May 21, 2006

*** ****** ***!!

SymfonyMan posted:

It's a real shame that Adobe has made little to no effort in trying to make Flash better for animation. They rebuilt the code for CC and there are a ton of features that are left out, most notably Object Level Undo. I can't imagine trying to do a project where you would have to cycle through and undo a ton of work just to go back and fix something. It's baffling why they wouldn't put it back in.

So it seems like ToonBoom is the go to program now. I guess I should bite the bullet and make the switch, but ToonBoom's gross UI is really off putting to me.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
All I ever do now in this thread is tell people to get TVPaint in every post.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

neonnoodle posted:

get TVPaint

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

My writing partner and I self-funded a teaser pilot to a cartoon we created. Unfortunately, the company that ordered the pilot didn't pick it up. Luckily, we retained the rights to it. So, we are just putting it out there.

The character design and backgrounds were done by a guy naked Dan Kubat, and the only thing that upsets me about the pilot not getting picked up was that he did such a killer job and no one got to see it. It was animated by a company called Mind's Eye Creative.

http://vimeo.com/87783400

(Cross-posted from the post-your-short-films thread)

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

bitmap posted:

I was going to wait until I made something good enough to respond but yeah, I still don't have any good bearing on the basics or whatchamacallits. I pretty much have the first bit of a Preston Blair book to go by and I really haven't consulted it in ages save for referencing walk cycles and the like.

Also, I'll have you know I take great pride in my timid and cowardly nature and I will not have you slander my good name, sir.

Why the heck did you have to say it like that noods? Jesus.
I'm not crying, I'm just cleaning my keyboard with my tear ducts. :qq:

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bean_mcbean posted:

It's a real shame that Adobe has made little to no effort in trying to make Flash better for animation. They rebuilt the code for CC and there are a ton of features that are left out, most notably Object Level Undo...

Yeah, don't get me started on Flash. I used it to animate for a few years and if this was 2007 I'd recommend it in a... heartbeat. Toon Boom takes a bit getting used to since it changes some things from Flash, but when you do get the hang of it then you wonder how you could have been doing it any other way. I haven't used it yet but TB even has motion capture capabilities (I'll be playing with that next month!).

For anyone that doesn't know you can download a full feature Toon Boom Animate Pro 3 (click try) that allows you to learn the system without paying for it in exchange for a giant watermark over your work until you are ready to purchase it. You don't need to pirate a copy.

bean_mcbean posted:

...I guess I should bite the bullet and make the switch, but ToonBoom's gross UI is really off putting to me.

Yeah it's not the prettiest, but you can move the layout around in pretty much any way you would want to. I assume they will work on that for AP4. If you used early versions of Flash they weren't the hottest. I think with TB they are trying to balance full featured one stop animation station with ease of use. Good Luck right?

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 22, 2014

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

scarycave posted:

I was going to wait until I made something good enough to respond but yeah, I still don't have any good bearing on the basics or whatchamacallits. I pretty much have the first bit of a Preston Blair book to go by and I really haven't consulted it in ages save for referencing walk cycles and the like.

Also, I'll have you know I take great pride in my timid and cowardly nature and I will not have you slander my good name, sir.

Why the heck did you have to say it like that noods? Jesus.
I'm not crying, I'm just cleaning my keyboard with my tear ducts. :qq:

Hey now, brother! Noone gets good at this without putting in the study. You got more enthusiasm than professional animators I know.

thing as part of this big thing

bitmap fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 3, 2014

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Bitmap have you ever considered streaming/ recording your process in TVPaint so I can just copy you rather than having to learn on my own

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Koramei posted:

Bitmap have you ever considered streaming/ recording your process in TVPaint so I can just copy you rather than having to learn on my own

I'm gonna do this on YouTube, fwiw.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yay thank you it is worth a lot

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Koramei posted:

uh I got a full day of work tomorrow animating, what program should I use?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yayay. Uh I have no idea, try Open Broadcaster maybe? I think it's supposed to be pretty good, and it's free.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
What are the differences and benefits of TVPaint and ToonBoom? In the summer I really want to get back into 2D animation, but I want to leave Flash far, far behind. I know ToonBoom is apparently great for Flash veterans, but I'm absolutely fine with learning new skills if TVPaint is good.

aton
Jul 23, 2008
Toon Boom uses vector brushes similar to flash and TVpaint is raster based. However, I believe you can import bitmap brushes into Toon Boom.

TV paint is like animating with photoshop with good timeline and playback control and lots of brushes that you can customize.

Toonboom is very good for making puppets, whereas TVpaint has no puppet features that I am aware of. I could be wrong.

Both are good, just a matter of preference.

aton fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 23, 2014

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

It appears that information is old and is comparing a version of Toon Boom that most people wouldn't use. I would think you would want to compare Toon Boom Animate Pro 3 and not Studio. It's a bad naming scheme but Studio isn't used in studios; it's mostly for hobbyists, web animators, and students learning timing.

You can catch Animate Pro 3 as low as $600 when it's on sale. When it's not, it's about the same price as TVpaint pro. As a home producer or someone that wants to learn more of a studio style pipeline you probably should be using Toon Boom Animate Pro 3 just due to the amount of features and control it has over Studio. If you work in a professional animation studio however you would probably use Toon Boom Harmony for its networking capabilities like the studio that Typical does coloring for that animates Rick and Morty. AP3 and Harmony have very similar work flows.

Animate Pro 3 isn't listed on that site that I can see, but if you look at Animate Pro and basically change almost every x into a check that's about 3. For example 3 now supports cut-out and puppet rigging as I mentioned before and particle effects through a module system outside of just traditional cel animating. One thing I don't think is possible in TVP that is in TB is 3d tracking. What's nice in TB is you can set up a virtual stage essentially and have the camera move around it. In Flash and TVP you mimic camera moves through your animation itself where as in TB you are actually moving the camera. Remember the old Batman reused building trick? They did that to save time right? No need now since you can build a miniature city set and have your camera zoom through it.

Just check out the tutorial page here:
https://www.toonboom.com/resources/video-tutorials/toon-boom-animate-pro

to see what all it can do. Go down to true 3d space to get an idea of the virutal set building. It's really cool.

I haven't used TVpaint as much as TB tbh so someone jump all over me if this is wrong, but my impression of TVpaintPro is that it's great is you are used to a paper style work flow where as TBAP3 is great if you are coming from a Flash or digital work flow. Feel free to yell at me if that's wrong.

Sorry for going on and on, but I'm a former disgruntled Flash user and switched over to TB just last year and it's been an eyeopener.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 23, 2014

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
TVPaint is looking pretty cool. Vectors seem to gently caress up all the time, and 3D tracking doesn't seem that important. I feel like it would be simpler to do any 3D effects in Maya and all the 2D animation in ToonBoom. I'm leaning more towards TVP right now, since I want to learn something completely new and experiment with new techniques and that, TVPaint just seems like what Flash should be by now if Adobe targeted Flash more for animators.

Plus, I really don't like all that puppet style of animation. It looks really ugly to me, it even almost put me off Archer, but Archer is just so good in all the other ways.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G43wDXdPVaQ

Inbetweened for an hour. Yesterday I made a long video about some TVP interface stuff, but it was kind of all over the place, so I'm going to revise it a bit and post it later.

neonnoodle fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 24, 2014

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014
I do wish more programs had more features for tradigital animation. Aside from TVP, which I can't afford, a lot of the paid programs I found focused on tweening and "instant motion" and it's all just... bleh.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Relevant post! I just happened to see this post on Cartoon Brew today about Animation Paper. Obviously I can't vouch for the quality but in the comments some people were speculating that it would cost around $60, which would be really awesome for those of us who want to mess around with something a little more animation-centric but don't have the justification to buy TVPaint. I just shelled out for a Cintiq so I think TVPaint is a long way off for me. Ah. I still really like Photoshop but haven't had enough free time to belt anything out on it anyway.

At any rate with Animation Paper, you can hook up your email this month to get it an apparent early bird discount. I still don't know how much that's actually gonna cost but I signed up anyway since, if it is affordable, I think it could be worth checking out!

PS thanks to neonnoodle and bitmap for keeping this thread lively. I hope I can get out some content to post soon, I would love some crits!

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

everyone just get tvpaint jesus

seriously though that animation paper looks pretty slick for teaching people how to animate on the cheap

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Megaspel posted:

Plus, I really don't like all that puppet style of animation. It looks really ugly to me, it even almost put me off Archer, but Archer is just so good in all the other ways.

I'm not trying to convince you either way just giving you my opinion since you asked what's the difference, but cut out puppet style animation doesn't have to look lovely like Archer. Rick and Morty and Bob's Burgers both use Toon Boom and don't move around like Archer. Believe it or not that was a design choice by the their animation team to make it move like that. You can do tradigital animation too (is that the term we are using? Are we doing this?).

e: Just as a side note, my first animation program that I bit my teeth on was Disney Presents The Animation Studio for windows (1990). For some reason there are 4 copies of it on sale at Amazon. I wonder why they didn't continue making software; they were way ahead of the home content game. It taught animation cycles and timing using famous Disney characters. They would have the a tutorial breakdown on how Alice or Mickey walks/jumps/spin then you could duplicate it with your own drawings.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 24, 2014

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014
I know tweening and all that isn't inherently the devil and can actually be used very competently (the recent Mickey Mouse shorts and Wander over Yonder come to mind), but personally, I don't think I'd ever willingly do it unless the situation called for it, like me having to produce stuff on a budget/ schedule.
That being said, still chuggin' along with that animation, almost at a point where I'd feel comfortable posting a WIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

sailor haters gonna hate sailors