Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xthnru
Apr 6, 2007

FUCK YOU GUYS. I'm out.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I think it's lame.

Calm down, buddhy, this kind of raj could be a real hindurance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

xthnru posted:

Calm down, buddhy, this kind of raj could be a real hindurance!

No.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fandyien posted:

Cool, thanks. I think I'll give Barcelona a try, because one of the things that buggered my two attempts at Jimenez games was my siblings excommunicating me / declaring war on me over and over until I got owned. Coming from Victoria II CKII is just a different enough game it'll take a bit to shift gears.

I guess I just need to put some more time in so I understand all the mechanics, because even after 20 hours I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing 90% of the time. But I've learned from other Paradox games that sorta goes away over time.

Spain isn't a good starting area for newbies. There's a lot of opportunity there, but it's very easy to screw yourself if you don't understand game mechanics yet.

Ireland and 1066 England tend to make good starts; they're somewhat slow, but they're relatively safe places where you can take your time figuring things out and you're not going to get dogpiled as soon as one war goes badly.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Greenllama posted:

Rather than trying to micro-manage everything and be the ultimate player, I find it more fun to focus on just 1 very narrow goal, and ignore all consequences in achieving that goal.

Same. My most recent was to turn the entire Muslim world to Zoroastrian and it was going pretty well until I had to spend years fighting off mongol hordes.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I don't get why you'd tell a newbie to avoid Barcelona given it's really nice placement on the map:

You've got the broken apart Taifas to gobble up directly to your west, and an easy kingdom title to usurp in the form of Aragon. The bigger Taifas tend to be preoccupied with fighting themselves/the Jimenez, so if you keep an eye on their the region diplomatic status you shouldn't get bombarded by a muslim clowncar. If things go really pear-shaped just swear fealty to France. :v:

Ireland's a nice start, yeah, but it's also an incredibly boring one. I agree with Jazerus in that Apulia's a much better beginning for a newbie because it's in an entertaining and relatively safe place with a huge dynasty already established in the region.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Will saved games break even if you don't buy the DLC?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Arglebargle III posted:

Definitely. The landmass of India is coming with a patch. You should copy your CK2 folder somewhere else so that you can finish your game in peace.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Toplowtech posted:

Crusader Kings II: Rajas against the machine

:golfclap:

Arglebargle III posted:

Paradox have confirmed that it will. Fortunately, you'll be able to roll back to the old version in the Steam betas tab if you have a game you want to finish up.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Bishop Rodan posted:

Fortunately, you'll be able to roll back to the old version in the Steam betas tab if you have a game you want to finish up.

Dammit, I always forget about that :doh:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Crusader Kings 2: Taj Madeathball

Rajas is probably $15 like the rest of them, yeah?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Orv posted:

Rajas is probably $15 like the rest of them, yeah?

Yeah, $14.99 and then three $1.99 cosmetic DLCs, almost certainly.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Disco Infiva posted:

Definitely. The landmass of India is coming with a patch. You should copy your CK2 folder somewhere else so that you can finish your game in peace.

They've said you can go back to the pre-Rajas version through the betas menu. No more continued support unless you update though.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

I gave one of my counties to a mayor, and now he has a constant -10 Wrong Government type against me, why? Do I need to give him a duchy for him to become a vassal republic?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Sistergodiva posted:

I gave one of my counties to a mayor, and now he has a constant -10 Wrong Government type against me, why? Do I need to give him a duchy for him to become a vassal republic?

Republics will always have an opinion malus against a feudal ruler and vice versa. If you give him a duchy it'll get bigger, BUT if it's on a coast you'll get a merchant republic, which you can tax the poo poo out of for an insane amount of gold.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sistergodiva posted:

He is a mayor, he will always have the -10 wrong government type against you.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Oh thanks. On the same note, I just took Pisa with a fabricated claim, apparently though I now own a city in Pisa, not a barony. I guess I should just take the barony? Does the -20 for revoking last your whole lifetime?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

nutranurse posted:

I don't get why you'd tell a newbie to avoid Barcelona given it's really nice placement on the map:

You've got the broken apart Taifas to gobble up directly to your west, and an easy kingdom title to usurp in the form of Aragon. The bigger Taifas tend to be preoccupied with fighting themselves/the Jimenez, so if you keep an eye on their the region diplomatic status you shouldn't get bombarded by a muslim clowncar. If things go really pear-shaped just swear fealty to France. :v:

Ireland's a nice start, yeah, but it's also an incredibly boring one. I agree with Jazerus in that Apulia's a much better beginning for a newbie because it's in an entertaining and relatively safe place with a huge dynasty already established in the region.

To be honest I did not know they exist till you pointed it out and gave it a little spin

Not bad considering I don't play Spain Games that much, never liked the Leon/Cast/Arag/Gali circle jerk

Gali formed Portugal extremely early some how despite Castille having them on the rocks and the now debunked Almoravid Kingdom had united southern Spain very early in the game, and is now feeding on the tears of Castille.

The implosion of the Almoravid Kingdom was rather spectacular in that I can easily take Ure without Port or Cast rushing me to it, Port cause he has no joining lands, and Cast is still healing from a thumping at the ends of that tan blob.

Fun fact, the first crusade was the normal failed slaughter house, Fatimid managed to keep a hold of their power base, the second crusade comes along, getting the upper hand, Fatimid falls into a decadence revolt and we 'won' without gaining any land, Fatimid accepted the proposal from the revolt forces and we all went home :smith:

Stevefin fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 23, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sistergodiva posted:

Oh thanks. On the same note, I just took Pisa with a fabricated claim, apparently though I now own a city in Pisa, not a barony. I guess I should just take the barony? Does the -20 for revoking last your whole lifetime?

It lasts a few years, so if you can take the hit you could just revoke the barony. OR you can give the county to the baron, he will then create a mayor vassal for the city and the baron will be a normal feudal vassal without any opinion penalty for the wrong government type.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Torrannor posted:

It lasts a few years, so if you can take the hit you could just revoke the barony. OR you can give the county to the baron, he will then create a mayor vassal for the city and the baron will be a normal feudal vassal without any opinion penalty for the wrong government type.

I remembered that I could excommunicate so it all worked out. Rather pay 200 piety than -20 opinion since a lot of people are close to hatin' on me.

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
So I haven't played a republic since right before Old Gods came out when I first got the game. Is it still possible to take over the Byzantines as a merchant republic? If so, how would I go about it? Marriage into the royal family then nominate an heir with a claim then press my claim? I know I can't usurp empire titles as a republic so straight conquering won't work.

Also, I don't have SoA, can I still get holy orders like the Immortals or the Orthodox one?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

dPB posted:

So I haven't played a republic since right before Old Gods came out when I first got the game. Is it still possible to take over the Byzantines as a merchant republic? If so, how would I go about it? Marriage into the royal family then nominate an heir with a claim then press my claim? I know I can't usurp empire titles as a republic so straight conquering won't work.

Also, I don't have SoA, can I still get holy orders like the Immortals or the Orthodox one?

Yes, no.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
You can't usurp titles as a republic, but you can create them. I started out as Gotland, declared independence, and slowly destroyed the Kingdom of Sweden. Once you take over his last county, the kingdom is destroyed. I was able to recreate it. I then created the Empire of Scandinavia, or rather, the Principality of Scandinavia. I would assume this would work with the Byzantine Empire too.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
In the patch coming with Rajas of India they're porting CK2 over to EUIV's multiplayer system; I'm excited to play multiplayer without constant crashes

Orv
May 4, 2011
Did they 'fix' creating merchant republics out of thin air? It's still mayor -> county - duchy, right? Trying to create one in Agder and I'm screwing something up but I'm not sure what.

E; Shouldn't be making one in Agder anyway because it has no trade tech, but I can't get it to work anywhere.

Orv fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 23, 2014

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Orv posted:

Did they 'fix' creating merchant republics out of thin air? It's still mayor -> county - duchy, right? Trying to create one in Agder and I'm screwing something up but I'm not sure what.

I never had a problem with creating republics out of thin air. Agder is coastal, so that's not it. Does your mayor have any other non-republican titles? What exactly is screwed up when you try to create a republic?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Orv posted:

Heh, nope. I accidentally created one by giving a castrated character a coastal duchy. For some reason it doesn't appear to check against city or duchy titles, so the result of trying to give every title to him was he got all the Cities, making him a mayor, failed to give him any of the counties, then gave him the duchy, making him the head of a merchant republic.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Disco Infiva posted:

I never had a problem with creating republics out of thin air. Agder is coastal, so that's not it. Does your mayor have any other non-republican titles? What exactly is screwed up when you try to create a republic?

I gave the mayor of the city of Agder c_Agder, but it doesn't allow me to give him d_Agder. It won't register the command at all, no error, nothing. I am probably an idiot. Same problem with anything else.

Orv fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 23, 2014

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Orv posted:

I gave the mayor of the city of Agder c_Agder, but it doesn't allow me to give him d_Agder. It won't register the command at all, no error, nothing. I am probably an idiot. Same problem with anything else.

Oh, you are using the console? Then I had the same problem, and if I remember correctly I had to first give myself the title (creating the duchy), then transfer it to the one I want.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Orv posted:

The only Agder I can find is the county of Agder in Norway, but there is no city of Agder, and the county is part of the duchy of Vestlandet. Are you playing CK2+ or vanilla?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Vanilla. It was the city of Flekkefjord, my bad. Gave c_Agder to Refil of Flekkefjord, which goes through, then nada.

Disco Infiva posted:

Oh, you are using the console? Then I had the same problem, and if I remember correctly I had to first give myself the title (creating the duchy), then transfer it to the one I want.

Man, what. Alright lemme try that.

E; Yeah, it just doesn't want to create duchy titles via the console at all for some reason.

Orv fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 23, 2014

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Orv posted:

Vanilla. It was the city of Flekkefjord, my bad. Gave c_Agder to Refil of Flekkefjord, which goes through, then nada.

Man, what. Alright lemme try that.

E; Yeah, it just doesn't want to create duchy titles via the console at all for some reason.

Just tried it, used this console commands (vanilla)

code:
give_title c_agder 500632

give_title d_vestlandet 500632
It worked, had no problems.

ID 500632 was from the mayor of 867.

fuck off Batman fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 23, 2014

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
All my brothers (and my one living son) keeps wanting to gently caress off and join the Knights Hospitaller. Why won't they understand that I need them around so I can build more tradeposts.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Disco Infiva posted:

Just tried it, used this console commands (vanilla)

code:
give_title c_agder 500632

give_title d_vestlandet 500632
It worked, had no problems.

ID 500632 was from the mayor of 867.

Man if that's what I was doing wrong I'm going to be mad. I thought that'd give them the entire holdings of [duchy] but it seems I am actually an idiot. Thanks for the help all.

E; Yeah that does cause a lot of mess. I'll have to play title shuffle to prevent an entire duchy from imploding but otherwise it's fine.

Orv fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 23, 2014

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

MrBling posted:

All my brothers (and my one living son) keeps wanting to gently caress off and join the Knights Hospitaller. Why won't they understand that I need them around so I can build more tradeposts.

I really hope they fix that. I remember when my genius son wanted to join the templar for me to say no, then try to join the hospitallars to say no, then the templar.... just a viscous circle.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Orv posted:

Man if that's what I was doing wrong I'm going to be mad. I thought that'd give them the entire holdings of [duchy] but it seems I am actually an idiot. Thanks for the help all.

E; Yeah that does cause a lot of mess. I'll have to play title shuffle to prevent an entire duchy from imploding but otherwise it's fine.

Yeah, you can't just create a new duchy out of thin air with the console. There's no pre-existing Duchy of Ager, so you have to give either the de-jure duchy that the county belongs to or some other existing duchy.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MrBling posted:

I think unlanded males just hate sitting around doing nothing and having nothing, and that Paradox is constantly seeking ways to model that.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

nutranurse posted:

The best part about Barcelona is the 3 castles there, which when given the owner's martial skill bonus, means you can raise a huge number of troops compared to most people who are just holding 3 counties instead. Put your martial raising levies there for even more fun!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Main Paineframe posted:

I think unlanded males just hate sitting around doing nothing and having nothing, and that Paradox is constantly seeking ways to model that.

Ideally they would be hanging out in the various tradeposts, since that is what the game is seemingly trying to model. Then their stats could provide bonuses to the trade being done there and give some random events.

Orv
May 4, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, you can't just create a new duchy out of thin air with the console. There's no pre-existing Duchy of Ager, so you have to give either the de-jure duchy that the county belongs to or some other existing duchy.

Yeah. I wonder if there's some way to set up an automater for creating title mods for a republic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
In my Abyssinia game I somehow inherited the county of Friesland after I married my son to the countess there, and they had a child of my dynasty. That child died, apparently, so the county was inherited to me, the King. Anyway, after some time passed, I wanted to have a foothold in the North Sea, so I built a city there and gave the city to one of my sons, and then the county, and then created a duchy in Nubia and passed it off to him. The birth of one of the oddest merchant republics ever! Two counts in Abyssinia are vassals of a merchant republic on the North Sea!

• Locked thread