Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

User0015 posted:

I actually laughed out loud when Shiroe got mad and threw the table. He can't counter plan against someone who has no plan in the first place and is just loving with him (and the entire city) instead. It's wonderful. Basically, he's getting trolled.

The two halves of the same goon squad coin meet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

User0015 posted:

I actually laughed out loud when Shiroe got mad and threw the table. He can't counter plan against someone who has no plan in the first place and is just loving with him (and the entire city) instead. It's wonderful. Basically, he's getting trolled.

I cracked up at Sojiro's harem crushing the assault of cake with overwhelming force. And then meeting brute force with pretty force.

Sojiro has a large army of perfectly loyal adventurers with inexhaustible morale. They don't even get tired, the girls are fighting over who gets to go on the 'group date'. The man is scary.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Conot posted:

I'm hoping to see Leynessia pull herself up and act a bit more confidently, telling Lord Creepster to gently caress off, rather then get rescued by Shiroe/Krusty, but I suppose thats a idle hope considering her entire archetype is "Lazy Damself-in-Distress"

I don't know about that. Lazy, sure, but remember that the whole reason she got sorta-kicked-out of the castle and is living in Akiba is because she very specifically didn't play the meek damsel role she was assigned, and instead stepped up and took action on her own when no one else was doing it. She hasn't really done any Damseling yet; if anything, the opposite.

kazakirinyancat
Sep 8, 2012

XboxPants posted:

I don't know about that. Lazy, sure, but remember that the whole reason she got sorta-kicked-out of the castle and is living in Akiba is because she very specifically didn't play the meek damsel role she was assigned, and instead stepped up and took action on her own when no one else was doing it. She hasn't really done any Damseling yet; if anything, the opposite.

Yeah, it looked to me like she was aware of what the creep was trying to do and was trying to stay calm and not react in a way that would set everyone off.

She's starting to become more and more like an actual noble politician even if she doesn't realize it.

Sparda219
Nov 21, 2007

Just as some things can be right and useless at the same time, can't something be wrong and priceless?
I think the princess is showing quite a bit of strength in forcing herself not to react when she really seems to want to. I loved the look she shot around the room when the adventurers started going for their weapons. Just that "please don't start poo poo, I've got this" look.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Yeah, she did the right thing there, he was blatantly trying to get a reaction so he has an excuse to start trouble, knowing how popular she is in the city. All she needed to do was to drag it out, give the evil glasses people time to come up with a plan and countermeasure.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

XboxPants posted:

Does it count when a whole country is in need of rescuing? Damsel-by-proxy?

Still it worked better than just pretending there wasn't a problem.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Sparda219 posted:

I think the princess is showing quite a bit of strength in forcing herself not to react when she really seems to want to. I loved the look she shot around the room when the adventurers started going for their weapons. Just that "please don't start poo poo, I've got this" look.

That's how I interpreted it. She has a burden of representing her nation, and thus can't react that naturally. Shiroe doesn't have that same problem, and thus can come in as a 3rd party without creating as much trouble back home for her.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Neeksy posted:

That's how I interpreted it. She has a burden of representing her nation, and thus can't react that naturally. Shiroe doesn't have that same problem, and thus can come in as a 3rd party without creating as much trouble back home for her.

Shiroe has similar limitations. However, the difference is he's going into this while properly informed. Raynesia got blindsided out of the blue.

EDIT: One way to think of it is as a military action.
Raynesia was fighting a rear guard action against an ambush from a neutral party. She couldn't win, and didn't expect to, just minimized the damage the ambush would do. Shiroe was the reinforcements coming to drive the creep off, with the crucial advantage of having more resources and information at hand.

veekie fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 19, 2014

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-03-22/log-horizon-2nd-tv-anime-series-to-premiere-this-fall

Yesss. I was going to miss this show but nevermind.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Yeah, she did about as well as she possibly could in that situation. A confrontation would have been disastrous, even if they won. Attacking a foreign representative is going to look bad on you politically, even if said representative is being a deliberately provocative creep. Not rising to it was the only real choice in that situation.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
I can give you what you want more easily as a foe than as a friend.

Shiroe why are you SO COOL?! :byodood:

hype for season 2, although i'm definitely waiting until it's over in a year because following this series for however many months it's been has been torture

E: also the author is a huge liar, there was absolutely no sort of clearing up or additional development on any of the couples. it's better this way, but come on :colbert:

Emalde fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 22, 2014

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

I don't think I've ever been looking forward to an anime as much as I am for Log Horizon S2. Good god was that ever a sequel hook.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Hell yes.

Shiro continues to be the best main character, and we meet a girl who's really messed up in the head. Seriously, there's something wrong with that woman.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Ahhhh! I'm really really excited about Season 2 coming this fall! It's gonna be so great with Anti-Shiro Nureha in the mix and all the other stuff that they'll be getting into. I have a feeling it's just gonna keep getting bigger and more complex!

Also, seconding the guy who wanted the OST. The main "stuff is getting real" theme has really grown on me. I think it'd be an excellent accompaniment for when I execute a master-plan in Crusader Kings 2 or whatever. :keke:

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

I don't think I would have ever believed that after SAO one of my favorite shows would have been another MMO anime.

Really glad that we're getting more, Fall is a lot quicker than I was expecting it would be.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
So Shiroe is getting a Joker to his Batman. Cannot wait for second season.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Huh, a second series so soon? I wonder how the content will be paced or if there'll be filler.

For a LN-adaptation, Log Horizon has been handling inner monologues pretty well.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Awwww yeaaah the AntiShiro appears! :dance:

Great way to end the season.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Ooh, okay... Definitely sparks my interest in next season. Her being inclined to read and try to tempt Shiroe to her side looks like it'll be a fun watch. And despite all the ominous black feathers and all, she doesn't seem necessarily unsympathetic to me - since setting up a cathedral takeover is no more cutthroat than Shiroe's plans and Shiroe's plenty likeable. Then again, she let creepazoid jerk Akibahara around for shits and giggles, it seems.

I wonder what that "something bigger" is going to be, though. We're already on track with reality-warping magic, how much bigger can you get?

Also I could not stop laughing at that stupid thing Reagan was doing with his hands. Seriously that made the ending amazing.

booksnake fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 22, 2014

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Man the zoom-ins on Nureha's eyes in the real world were super creepy. Woman is super messed up. :stonk: Definitely looking forward to the next season!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

booksnake posted:

Ooh, okay... Definitely sparks my interest in next season. Her being inclined to read and try to tempt Shiroe to her side looks like it'll be a fun watch. And despite all the ominous black feathers and all, she doesn't seem necessarily unsympathetic to me - since setting up a cathedral takeover is no more cutthroat than Shiroe's plans and Shiroe's plenty likeable. Then again, she let creepazoid jerk Akibahara around for shits and giggles, it seems.

I wonder what that "something bigger" is going to be, though. We're already on track with reality-warping magic, how much bigger can you get?

Also I could not stop laughing at that stupid thing Reagan was doing with his hands. Seriously that made the ending amazing.

Uh. There is a difference between cutting off access to the guild house, and cutting off access to the Cathedral.

Guild house just means they can't function as a guild and access guild resources without running to a different city.

Cathedral means they can't loving rez and are permanently dead.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Dexo posted:

Uh. There is a difference between cutting off access to the guild house, and cutting off access to the Cathedral.

Guild house just means they can't function as a guild and access guild resources without running to a different city.

I guess the only problem was getting a critical mass of people to back you up by killing people who left the city, as you can reset your cathedral in another city right?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dexo posted:

We don't know that she's denying access to respawning. But I assume that it at least allows her to control who can leave, so if she wants someone in jail, she can just have them killed.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

We don't know that she's denying access to respawning. But I assume that it at least allows her to control who can leave, so if she wants someone in jail, she can just have them killed.

It's possible, however, Call to Home is shown to work inside buildings, though I'm not sure if the permissions for its use can also be removed.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Nureha's eyes reminded me of Palm's eyes from Hunter x Hunter.

Kind of creepy and crazy all at once. I can't imagine why Shiroe didn't go for it. I just can't. The best part was ...uh...yeah...I don't really even remember you either....

I read all of the light novel that was available on Baka-Tsuki and it basically ends exactly where this anime ended today. Frustrating. I'm wanting more...now!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The whole point of Nureha is that she's the Augustus to Shiroe's Cincinnatus. One cedes political power to others, the uses it to force dominion on others. This is what I wanna see: immortals pitting their wits and skills against one another.

Also Shiroe doesn't go for it because he doesn't think with his dick. Shiroe might be a repressed awkward nerd but he's not an idiot and his big quality is to predict people's motivations.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Amstrad posted:

So Shiroe is getting a Joker to his Batman. Cannot wait for second season.

Seriously that was a fantastic bit. To see someone as skilled at manipulation as Shiro for his nemesis is just wonderful, and her being messed in the head with no morals amplifies it.

Monsieur Mango
Apr 29, 2009
Angry uneducated white person
This is the only anime I watched this season. Can't loving wait for the next one! Also, where's the loving OST for this poo poo?

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"
Looks like Mamare visited /a/ again, looking forward to some translated summaries soon~

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Xelkelvos posted:

It's possible, however, Call to Home is shown to work inside buildings, though I'm not sure if the permissions for its use can also be removed.

Call of Home is also a skill use. You can disable skill use in a zone you own. Relocating to another city while banned from the Cathedral also means if you die at any point during the long and risky journey you're dead. Period. Level 90 adventurers might be able to do it, but anyone below that is SOL.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Just a loving fantastic end to an already great series. Great plot hook, a proper adversary (we really needed the nega-Shiro) and a fun episode all round.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I've been thinking about this whole setup. We have an MMO and the players get "stuck" in-game as their characters (toons). So, I am playing WoW and I now have 11 toons on my account for my server/shard (Icecrown). I have three level 90's, two in their 80's and a mix of lower levels. Most are bank-alts (they exist simply to hold my overflowing riches).

Let's say WoW gets magically transformed into said Log Horizon game, and I get pulled into Azeroth and get stuck. Who would I be? My "main"? Which of my level 90's is my "main" now? One is a bull, one is undead, and one is an elf. If I had to choose, I'd pick the elf. I also have female-toons. I generally don't play females unless their butt-ugly. One is a troll, one is an orc, and the other is a panda bear. None of these "girls" are what you'd consider attractive.

Would I get to choose my poison or would I be stuck in some random body? What if I ended up as the female orc? Yikes!

Log Horizon really didn't even touch on this issue, did it? One toon per account? Only one shard/server? Generally, in a game like that you'd have multiple toons on multiple servers.

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the show at all. I really liked it a lot. I just started thinking about "reality" and the setup for this MMO/show. There are some things that were missed, or not discussed, I think. At least with SAO this kind of issue was addressed right off. One person playing in a VRMMO and their "real" bodies/looks got pulled in right-away. With only 10,000 players, you can bet they didn't need more than one server/shard.

Also, everyone was level 90 or less in the show. Didn't the "expansion" provide for a means to level to 100? Why didn't we see some level 91's and such running around? You'd think we would. There was all this talk about xp-bonus potions near the first part of the series, but why bother if no one can get past 90?

Just some thoughts... I am really looking forward to the next series. Fall 2014? I am ready for it now.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I think it was said earlier in the show that everyone who got "shifted" was playing the game at the time. So their character who they were playing at the time was the one they became.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
With regards to people over level 90 running around, from what I can remember the expansion had literally only just been released. And from the way characters talk, going from level 90 to 91 takes loving forever. Maybe because Elder Tale is one of those super grindy MMOs, or maybe the rules just changed after they all got sucked in.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Slime posted:

With regards to people over level 90 running around, from what I can remember the expansion had literally only just been released. And from the way characters talk, going from level 90 to 91 takes loving forever. Maybe because Elder Tale is one of those super grindy MMOs, or maybe the rules just changed after they all got sucked in.

They did mention that the time in-game is different from the time in real life (ie, the reasoning for Shiroe being around in the setting for over 100 years), so perhaps that carried over when it came to grinding?

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Dan7el posted:

I've been thinking about this whole setup. We have an MMO and the players get "stuck" in-game as their characters (toons). So, I am playing WoW and I now have 11 toons on my account for my server/shard (Icecrown). I have three level 90's, two in their 80's and a mix of lower levels. Most are bank-alts (they exist simply to hold my overflowing riches).

Let's say WoW gets magically transformed into said Log Horizon game, and I get pulled into Azeroth and get stuck. Who would I be? My "main"? Which of my level 90's is my "main" now? One is a bull, one is undead, and one is an elf. If I had to choose, I'd pick the elf. I also have female-toons. I generally don't play females unless their butt-ugly. One is a troll, one is an orc, and the other is a panda bear. None of these "girls" are what you'd consider attractive.

Would I get to choose my poison or would I be stuck in some random body? What if I ended up as the female orc? Yikes!

I recall early in the series it stated only people who were logged in got dragged in. If you were playing as the panda bear, tough poo poo, I guess (though there are also potions and items that allow you to change your appearance, as evidenced with Akatsuki) So yeah, the issue is pretty well addressed. I've heard people in this thread say the manga contains an example of a sentient Chinese gold-mining bot - everything that was logged in becomes an adventurer.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

occipitallobe posted:

I recall early in the series it stated only people who were logged in got dragged in. If you were playing as the panda bear, tough poo poo, I guess (though there are also potions and items that allow you to change your appearance, as evidenced with Akatsuki) So yeah, the issue is pretty well addressed. I've heard people in this thread say the manga contains an example of a sentient Chinese gold-mining bot - everything that was logged in becomes an adventurer.

It wasn't just a bot. It was a cleric bot. A literal heal-bot.

Shiroe has a female alt he wasn't playing at the time as well. Details unknown, but he might be real thankful for his choice of login.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
The obvious answer would be that all your characters wake up with all your memories and personality, each thinking that they are "you". As long as they don't meet, no one knows better, but when they do...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

occipitallobe posted:

Another thing I wonder then is how it determines exactly who is logged in, like with that bot. Obviously the bot didn't own the account, but it counted as being the "person" logged in. If person A owns the account but some hacker happened to be logged in to it at the time, would the hacker be the one in the Elder Tale world? What about people who multibox, and were logged in with two or more characters at the same time?

ArchangeI posted:

The obvious answer would be that all your characters wake up with all your memories and personality, each thinking that they are "you". As long as they don't meet, no one knows better, but when they do...

Would this be what happens to multiboxers?

• Locked thread