Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Unimpressed posted:

So tackling has no effect on the ability to dock? OK, that makes sense then, it was a big ship so probably would have lasted a long time.

What is your ingame name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Chinese Dave, but I've got over 300m ISK already so it's all cool for now if that's your intention :)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Unimpressed posted:

Chinese Dave, but I've got over 300m ISK already so it's all cool for now if that's your intention :)
I bet you feel like that's an absolutely absurd amount of money, don't you?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I remember hitting 100 billion in cash+assets and basically losing interest in the game because there wasn't anything I couldn't do and scamming russians got boring

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The Leper Colon V posted:

I bet you feel like that's an absolutely absurd amount of money, don't you?

Even 25m can seem like alot when your ships and mods cost less than 1m.

xlr82xs
Sep 9, 2008

CainFortea posted:

5. The rorqual was probably baiting the fleet to agress. If everyone had shot it, then the fleet couldn't have docked. I dunno, there's not many reasons to not shoot a rorqual.

It was a fairly small harpy fleet, we didn't really have the damage to take it while there were easier targets available.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Well, let's see. The most expensive skillbook I've bought (salvaging) was 1m. I don't pay for ships right now, and even when I will, I will get reimbursed if I lose them in PVP. So yeah, 300m is a lot, I'm sure I'll be drowning in frigates, destroyers and cruisers for the next 6 months no problem. Hopefully by then I'll be able to make this kind of money too.

I guess if there're other newbees who are more shy than me then save some for them. Right now, I'm more than happy with everyone's generosity.

xlr82xs
Sep 9, 2008

Unimpressed posted:

I guess if there're other newbees who are more shy than me then save some for them. Right now, I'm more than happy with everyone's generosity.

Don't forget to grab an uber salvage noctis from a mentor. Then you can pull in fast(ish) money, until it's time for you to pass the noctis onto a newbie yourself.

Bean Head
Feb 22, 2014

Best Friends posted:

It's pretty obvious there's some off-site brigading going on from TEST. People from Bravenewbies are barely positive, people from TEST get a ton of votes immediately, and anyone from the CFC gets downvoted hard and accused of being in on the conspiracy which totally exists because my god, how could anyone possibly want to not have to go broke so that their directors get rich? Totally just spies and agitators.

The best is when guys say "I can't afford to keep dying" and then they are accused of being a spy because why aren't they dying more if they were a real BNI newbie?

This is pretty much the reason I signed up here and stopped posting in /r/eve. The brigading from TEST, N3PL and high sec pubbies hides some very valid points but even the most level headed of dissenting comments gets swamped by the "grr goons" mindset. Also you guys in Waffe always get the best newbies. :colbert:

mzo
Jun 1, 2009
So if your application gets rejected are you supposed to get some kind of explanation as to why?

All I got was a quick notification within like 2 minutes of applying saying my application was "processed and rejected", and then my access to even Boot Camp got yanked.

Margaret Thatcher
Jan 2, 2013

by Cowcaster

mzo posted:

So if your application gets rejected are you supposed to get some kind of explanation as to why?

All I got was a quick notification within like 2 minutes of applying saying my application was "processed and rejected", and then my access to even Boot Camp got yanked.

Probably to do with the fact you've only posted 13 times over the last 5 years.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

mzo posted:

Nope, no explanation, you should read the requirements on the registration page and the OP to determine why you didn't qualify.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

mzo posted:

within like 2 minutes of applying my application was "processed"

This is a good thing, right? :)

mzo
Jun 1, 2009
Yeah I guess better to be denied quick. An explanation would have been helpful, but I guess it technically made me a more active poster right?

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
God, I've been playing Homeworld and all the ships there reminds me of EVE so I feel like i should play it, mostly because I like starships and also because I am sort of bored with the usual RPG-MMO's that have flooded the market.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

mzo posted:

Yeah I guess better to be denied quick. An explanation would have been helpful, but I guess it technically made me a more active poster right?

Well, in the accept/reject interface in game, there is nowhere to fill a field to say precisely why you didn't qualify. I just look at the checkboxes for "Qualify" and "Does not qualify" in our auth backend, and if you don't meet those things, I hit the Reject button in game and send you on your way.

(FYI it was your post count)

mzo
Jun 1, 2009
Ah, thanks for the explanation of the lack of explanation orange. Appreciate at least being sure why. Guess I'll just have to go do some horrible shitposting for a bit.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

orange juche posted:

Well, in the accept/reject interface in game, there is nowhere to fill a field to say precisely why you didn't qualify. I just look at the checkboxes for "Qualify" and "Does not qualify" in our auth backend, and if you don't meet those things, I hit the Reject button in game and send you on your way.

Paging OPSEC wizard to the thread.

ArchetypeBlue
Jul 9, 2012

ASSHOLE.

Koorisch posted:

God, I've been playing Homeworld and all the ships there reminds me of EVE so I feel like i should play it, mostly because I like starships and also because I am sort of bored with the usual RPG-MMO's that have flooded the market.
EVE is great fun as long as you avoid PvE. The PvE is terrible and boring and crap, so if you want to play EVE and enjoy yourself you'll need to interact with other people, be that joining a corp or roaming with some friends or just flying around shooting people.

Last time I tried playing I played the PvE for maybe a few days, trying mining, ratting, mission running... all of it was dreadful and mind-numbingly boring. A friend convinced me to join a low-sec pirate corp he found, but that was terrible too. They insisted I train up to fly a BC straight away (which apparently wasn't very bad advice at the time, but still left me sitting in a ship I could barely fit, never mind fitting Tier 2 modules), and spent hours gate-camping, never shooting at anything, because the FC insisted we didn't want to get the gate guns on us and so we had to lure someone into shooting at us. Eventually we shot something, but after a week in the corp I'd had a grand total of three engagements. I was so bored that I just quit playing.

Came back into the game like two years later, I've been learning to gank highsec miners (and that you probably want more than one person for a gank unless you've got plenty of gunnery skills trained to five and Tier 2 everything fitted to your Cata), which has been lots of fun, and a friend recommended I just take ten Tier 1 fitted Punishers into lowsec and engage in some meaningless PvP to get the hang of things, and that's been fun too, even if I have been dying repeatedly due to everyone else in this lowsec system fitting their frigates with Tier 2 modules.

Anyway, I'm rambling. My point is, EVE is about shooting people in spaceships and if you don't do that, it's going to get boring very fast. Unless you're one of those weird people who 'enjoys mining'.

Bean Head
Feb 22, 2014

Agreed very much apart from:

SilverWingedSeraph posted:

(and that you probably want more than one person for a gank unless you've got plenty of gunnery skills trained to five and Tier 2 everything fitted to your Cata)

You can easily take a retriever with a T1 cata, level 4 gunnery skills and overheat in 0.5 and 0.6. In higher sec systems you may need a few friends if you do not have level 5. T2 cata is required for industrials and the T2 stuff exhumers which tend to be tanked a little more than average. I'm sure someone with more experience can throw exact numbers out, I tend to just kill the first thing I see. :v:

Bean Head fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 23, 2014

Thaxxas
Dec 17, 2010

Tusen Takk posted:

Flying with TEST in the old days was fun because they were complete mongoloids on comms and it was comic relief but then they thought we goons were laughing because they were funny and not because they were complete mongoloids so they got worse and worse.

Also I challenge any BNI bitch reading this post to a 1v1 winner gets the losers corpse :henget:

I accept. Scrub. I have yet to compete in a 1v1 battle but i'm not scared! You wouldn't by any chance be near or have easy access to Sendaya would you? I'm not very confident in my ability to get elsewhere safely.

Furthermore, your favorite hockey team SUCKS!

ArchetypeBlue
Jul 9, 2012

ASSHOLE.

Bean Head posted:

You can easily take a retriever with a T1 cata, level 4 gunnery skills and overheat in 0.5 and 0.6. In higher sec systems you may need a few friends if you do not have level 5. T2 cata is required for industrials and the T2 stuff exhumers which tend to be tanked a little more than average. I'm sure someone with more experience can throw exact numbers out, I tend to just kill the first thing I see. :v:
Okay, yeah, solo ganking retrievers is possible in a T1 cata, but if they actually bothered to fit a tank (granted, most miners don't) you can have the annoyance of just nearly killing them and then watching yourself get blown up by concord while they're at 25% structure. And that's heartbreaking.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Anyway, I'm rambling. My point is, EVE is about shooting people in spaceships and if you don't do that, it's going to get boring very fast. Unless you're one of those weird people who 'enjoys mining'.

The ony way someone can "enjoy mining" is doing it as a social thing. Then it is just an excuse to chat in comms. Of course, it does not beat being in a PvP fleet.

Kjep64
Oct 3, 2013

Coffee. Cigarettes. Beer. Kimchi. Ingest.

Training for a BC for lowsec piracy for the main purpose of Gatecamping is an alright idea, sort of. Cruiser would have been better, imo, but still BC wasn't a terrible idea. Not aggressing because of gate-guns? That's the whole point of having a larger ship during a Gatecamp, to tank the gate guns. Unfortunately this causes a problem as the bigger the ship, the less scan res. Canes helped solve that.

PvE is absolutely horrid if you do it solo; don't have any space-friends to bullshit with. PvE with space-friends still sucks, but is doable. When I rat in null I will log on comms and bullshit with people. Mining? I don't think I ever considered that PvE, but I guess it is, heh.

Ganking Highsec miners is amazing fun. You can't really make profit from it anymore, but still ganking a Barge/Exhumer and watching the guy freak out in local is worth it. You can probably already solo gank Retrievers/Covetors. Just factor in the Concord response time, their tank/EHP, and your dps. A Retriever with all V skills and no fittings will have 9640 EHP vs Therm/Kin. With 500 dps that would take 19.28 seconds to kill him. It's 18 seconds in a 0.5 without Concord prepull, with prepull it's 22 (+/- 1 second across the board). A Retriever won't have all V skills, so it's likely their EHP won't even be that high.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
Props to the auth team for being so good at what they do. Took literally less than 5 minutes to get my new ratting alt's application to Goonwaffe approved.

Now I can rat lose VNIs to interceptor gangs while doing fleets.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

orange juche posted:

Speaking of post count that's something I've been confused about, what determines an active SA member is it just open to interpretation by the auth?

Calidar
Mar 23, 2014

Came back into the game like two years later, I've been learning to gank highsec miners (and that you probably want more than one person for a gank unless you've got plenty of gunnery skills trained to five and Tier 2 everything fitted to your Cata), which has been lots of fun,

Agreed, I took a one week holiday to highsec solely to gank miners. I tanked my sec status to -10, got an inbox full of hate-mail, spent over 500 mil on catalysts, and it was probably some of the best fun I've had in EVE.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Thrasophius posted:

Speaking of post count that's something I've been confused about, what determines an active SA member is it just open to interpretation by the auth?

For obvious reasons they're not going to reveal the actual metric. But if you average somewhere around a post a day you'll be fine.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Mimetic posted:

Props to the auth team for being so good at what they do. Took literally less than 5 minutes to get my new ratting alt's application to Goonwaffe approved.

Now I can rat lose VNIs to interceptor gangs while doing fleets.

Always nice to hear things like this. Thank you :3:

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
So, who let Preencleave out of the dog house?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Alchenar posted:

For obvious reasons they're not going to reveal the actual metric. But if you average somewhere around a post a day you'll be fine.

Ah I see now. I was just confused with the whole "if you think you are active you aren't and should post more" so thought I needed some ridiculous post count.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

deadtear posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about, also unless you have a screenshot or a bookmark you'll have a pain in the rear end finding it again because Our Forums Are poo poo.

edit: assuming you have access idk

No not anymore, I know the thread it was in but again don't have access to screenshot it for you.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Thrasophius posted:

Ah I see now. I was just confused with the whole "if you think you are active you aren't and should post more" so thought I needed some ridiculous post count.

The oft quoted number is 100 posts, but if those 100 posts are spread over 2/3 years or more, then that's still not really active.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Unimpressed posted:

Well, let's see. The most expensive skillbook I've bought (salvaging) was 1m. I don't pay for ships right now, and even when I will, I will get reimbursed if I lose them in PVP. So yeah, 300m is a lot, I'm sure I'll be drowning in frigates, destroyers and cruisers for the next 6 months no problem. Hopefully by then I'll be able to make this kind of money too.

Having money makes making more money easier. And this game is enough of a pain in the rear end when you're first starting, that chipping in and giving some money helps make it easier. Because eventually you're going to want to do some silly blingy fit for no good reason. Also, no one is giving more than they can comfortably forget having given, so there's no worries.

Margaret Thatcher
Jan 2, 2013

by Cowcaster

Daktari posted:

So, who let Preencleave out of the dog house?

I trained myself to stop making GBS threads on the carpet.

Blawrf
Oct 10, 2009

Hi, I'm Blawrf, and you can dock in my station anytime~~

Rowwr

Margaret Thatcher posted:

i'm still doubtful

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Margaret Thatcher posted:

It only took my dog 5 days, what is your excuse?

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Unimpressed posted:

So i've been in goonswarm for a bit over a day now. Impressions and experiences so far:

1. I don't know how people can complain about auth. I got authed and into the corp about 5 minutes after I applied. I was expecting a two day wait, so it was a cool surprise.
2. Every time I open my mouth somewhere, people throw ISK at me. Jesus christ, I've already been given 300m ISK.
3. After all the talk here about partial reimbursement for brave newbies, I asked for a frigate and got five. For free.
4. I flew to Hemin and just waited for something to happen. A couple of hours later there was a ping on jabber and I joined a fleet. I hosed up and got a bit lost, got trolled for marking a really beautiful perch and was later able to tackle a caracel for my first kill mail. My hands were shaking a bit, I'll admit.
5. We flew to the station at Sendaya and I tackled a Rorqual, but curiously no one was shooting at it, even though I announced point. It was right next to the station. Isn't a rorqual really expensive? Wouldn't that have been a great kill? I'm a bit puzzled why other targets were preferred.

Anyway, I had a great time so far, and I'm looking forward to getting accepted into arsehole squad and flying with other aussies.

Starting this game in Goonwaffe is basically the equivalent of being a disgustingly spoilt trust-fund teenager irl. Crash your mercedes into a lamppost and then ask your dad for another car, he'll give you five.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Tolth posted:

Starting this game in Goonwaffe is basically the equivalent of being a disgustingly spoilt trust-fund teenager irl. Crash your mercedes into a lamppost and then ask your dad for another car, he'll give you five.

This should go into the OP. It sums up the newbie experience perfectly. Theta should probably print it on a banner and hang it on JU- station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Calidar posted:

Agreed, I took a one week holiday to highsec solely to gank miners. I tanked my sec status to -10, got an inbox full of hate-mail, spent over 500 mil on catalysts, and it was probably some of the best fun I've had in EVE.

Send every one of your lossmails to James 315 in game. He reimburses ganks to the tune of ~15m for a t2 cata (and a few mil for t1, cant remember exactly though)

• Locked thread