Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triple20
Aug 16, 2005

In the end I guess it's easy after all
Hey, I just started playing again for the first time since the mid-90s, starting with MTGO. Anyway, some guy's "just for fun" match-join comments were like "casual, no T1" or something. I joined with a really cheap green ramp/devotion type deck, and was ready to swing for 6 on turn 3 (he went first and played blue/white scrylands). Anyway, he called me a moron and said I didn't read/understand what "casual" meant. I tried pointing out comparative deck prices and the fact that if I don't win by turn six I probably wouldn't, but that didn't help. My questions: am I (even partly) the rear end in a top hat here? Is this more of a "anyone worse than me is casual/anyone who beats me is too competitive" kind of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Triple20 posted:

Is this more of a "anyone worse than me is casual/anyone who beats me is too competitive" kind of thing?

Yes.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Triple20 posted:

Hey, I just started playing again for the first time since the mid-90s, starting with MTGO. Anyway, some guy's "just for fun" match-join comments were like "casual, no T1" or something. I joined with a really cheap green ramp/devotion type deck, and was ready to swing for 6 on turn 3 (he went first and played blue/white scrylands). Anyway, he called me a moron and said I didn't read/understand what "casual" meant. I tried pointing out comparative deck prices and the fact that if I don't win by turn six I probably wouldn't, but that didn't help. My questions: am I (even partly) the rear end in a top hat here? Is this more of a "anyone worse than me is casual/anyone who beats me is too competitive" kind of thing?

I'm fairly confident in saying that you are not the rear end in a top hat, even partly. I mean I don't have a very good idea of your decklist, but "really cheap" seems to say that you don't have basically any of the power cards in standard Gx devotion decks.

TicalStal
Apr 23, 2004
I promised America to the Fuhrer!

JerryLee posted:

I'm fairly confident in saying that you are not the rear end in a top hat, even partly. I mean I don't have a very good idea of your decklist, but "really cheap" seems to say that you don't have basically any of the power cards in standard Gx devotion decks.

Thats why I hate playing non EDH constructed in any of the mtgo casual rooms except tournament practice because everyone seems to have their definition of casual (eg worse deck than mine).

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

TicalStal posted:

Thats why I hate playing non EDH constructed in any of the mtgo casual rooms except tournament practice because everyone seems to have their definition of casual (eg worse deck than mine).

On the other hand, Tournament Practice is filled with people who will chew you out because your deck isn't good enough despite the fact that they're losing.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

TheLoser posted:

My job is taking me out of Rockford, IL, a complete dead zone in every respect, to Austin, Texas in a few months. This has me excited for a lot of reasons, including finding cool places to play Magic. Does anyone from around there know the good stores? I have a weird work schedule, so I'd prefer knowing the shops that host stuff besides FNM.

In case no one else answered this... The following (pretty much) all do draft; some do standard FNM

'Central'
Pat's Games; competitive players, legacy found here; a good place to start
Dragon's Lair; I don't know much about this place as I never really went there, though it's surrounded by some good/new food places

Up north:
Wonkos (game store, sometimes Legacy)
Mothership (also LAN games)
10th planet (super-casual players)
Card Traders (draft, prerelease mostly)

Down south:
Junior's (I've never been there)

There's a few more places (so says http://www.atxmtg.net/viewtopic.php?t=130&p=508) but those are the ones that I am familiar with. That site also says "
- The more competitive Standard players tend to battle at Mothership.
- Pat's Games has the biggest, most competitive Legacy crowd.
- Dragon's Lair probably has the biggest, most competitive Modern crowd.
- Most stores require decks to be sleeved.
- Pat's Games deals exclusively in Magic: the Gathering. Players must purchase singles through her store's online ordering system."

Really, just play near where you live, and try out a few stores. Pat's is a good starting point if you are in central.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Alan Mai the RUG guy is sitting at 7-0 and is in 2nd place. Did someone finally figure out to have a tier 1 RUG/BUG deck?!?!

Triple20
Aug 16, 2005

In the end I guess it's easy after all

JerryLee posted:

Thanks, the deck is fun and my "big money" cards are the burning-tree emissaries and experiment ones--winning is usually from opponent being slow, or me getting an aspect of hydra out when opponent has no removal. I assume power cards are like Polukranos and planeswalkers.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

morning wood posted:

I would go to your LGS and dig through cards. My LGS has boxes and boxes full of commons/uncommons that they sell for almost nothing. I'm assuming your store does the same.

Well, that didn't work. Went by the LSG and asked if they sold playsets of commons/uncommons by set or anything along those lines, and the owner just pulled out the various set rare binders. Apparently they don't even stock commons? *boggle*

Guess I'll poke around eBay for now.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

TheLoser posted:

My job is taking me out of Rockford, IL, a complete dead zone in every respect, to Austin, Texas in a few months. This has me excited for a lot of reasons, including finding cool places to play Magic. Does anyone from around there know the good stores? I have a weird work schedule, so I'd prefer knowing the shops that host stuff besides FNM.

You should come down to San Marcos and play Modern on Saturdays or draft on Wednesdays or do FNM at Alpha Strike Games it's a hella dope store, we have a lot of rather competitive people, who also happen to not be rear end holes! It's pretty amazing.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
That Esper Control/Mono Black match was pretty good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

qbert posted:

Won my FNM tonight playing R/W burn which I just built today and had played exactly zero games with.

Beat U/W control, R/G monsters, B/W midrange, and White Weenie, losing zero games.

Uh, deck's pretty good, guys. Might take a break from my usual control deck for a bit.

Edit: My favorite moment was Game 2 against the B/W player. He's at 5 life and plays Duress and I show him Chained to the Rocks and Fated Conflagration. He smirks, says he doesn't give a poo poo about Fated, picks my Chained and plays Desecration Demon.

I topdeck Boros Reckoner, cast it, cast Fated on my own Reckoner, redirect the 5 to him.

Fated Conflagration over Strombreath/Chandra? Also, do you maindeck reckoners? I've been maindecking 4x Rakdos Cakclers (didn't feel like buying Zealot's) 4x Phoenix, 2x Stormbreath 1x Chandra and winning with it very consistently.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 23, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Nothing in Standard is more sick than 2 Archangel of Thunes out with Elspeth tokens and the ability to get 2 pumps pre-combat from a baby revelation and then 2 off the swing.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I can't wait for sphinx to rotate, playing against and watching decks that run it is just boring as hell.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

mcmagic posted:

Fated Conflagration over Strombreath/Chandra? Also, do you maindeck reckoners? I've been maindecking 4x Rakdos Cakclers (didn't feel like buying Zealot's) 4x Phoenix, 2x Stormbreath 1x Chandra and winning with it very consistently.

As I said in an earlier post, I played with this exact list. 4 Reckoners mainboard is probably a meta call with all the R/G and Jund Monsters decks running around right now. It also has the secret ability to allow Searing Blood and Fated Conflagration to hit your opponent's face even with them having no creatures out.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I know this has been brought up before, but who are some recommended MTG(O) streamers to watch on Twitch/[insert additional streaming website]? Does LSV stream at all? Is there anyone, like Sam Pardee, who is playing a lot of Melira Pod for Modern? Thanks in advance; I've been intending to watch more Magic lately.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

qbert posted:

As I said in an earlier post, I played with this exact list. 4 Reckoners mainboard is probably a meta call with all the R/G and Jund Monsters decks running around right now. It also has the secret ability to allow Searing Blood and Fated Conflagration to hit your opponent's face even with them having no creatures out.

Got you. I started playing RW burn with the reckoners but then I took them out as they wern't as good as I was expecting but there is a lot of Control and Black in my Meta. Chandra's Phoenix is just a horse and I'm really enjoying playing this. Went 4-0 last night as well.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

bhsman posted:

I know this has been brought up before, but who are some recommended MTG(O) streamers to watch on Twitch/[insert additional streaming website]? Does LSV stream at all? Is there anyone, like Sam Pardee, who is playing a lot of Melira Pod for Modern? Thanks in advance; I've been intending to watch more Magic lately.
I don't know about live/archived streams much, but I watch almost every recorded video that gets posted weekdays on Channel Fireball and MTGO Academy. LSV, Marshall Sutcliffe, Sam Pardee, Conley Woods, and more all post once or twice a week a recording of some games. And Travis Woo.

The only Twitch streamer I'm up with recently is Dissolution_of_Eternity.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Cactrot posted:

I can't wait for sphinx to rotate, playing against and watching decks that run it is just boring as hell.
Yeah it just feels too efficient at times. It does everything a control deck or some funky midrange deck wants. I'm extremely curious what they do come rotation for Huey in terms of both counter magic and drawing card magic. Steam Augury is a fun card but its incredibly skill intensive and you really need it in a deck where every card is a powerhouse or you get some major benefit from your opponent helping you dump certain spells into the graveyard. Doing a quick gatherer search, Theros and BNG send a huge message that if you want to draw cards you better play creatures and enchantments to allow you to do so.

bhsman posted:

Sam was actually streaming the other day, but its very infrequent. Right now Dzyl(a very popular streamer and attends european GPs) is learning how to play Pod, although its been a bit cringe worthy how poorly he's playing it. Bahra plays a few modern decks although his technical game seems solid he does poorly when I watch him in tournaments. Miracle Joe(oarsman) plays late night(est) legacy events and 4-0s regularly with Tezz or Miracles. He has probably the best stream for Legacy on twitch, super laid back and tells fun stories from playing.

Korak fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 23, 2014

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
If a boros reckoner pit fights/domri fights itself do you get to deal 3 damage to target creature/player once or twice?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Boco_T posted:

I don't know about live/archived streams much, but I watch almost every recorded video that gets posted weekdays on Channel Fireball and MTGO Academy. LSV, Marshall Sutcliffe, Sam Pardee, Conley Woods, and more all post once or twice a week a recording of some games. And Travis Woo.

The only Twitch streamer I'm up with recently is Dissolution_of_Eternity.

Korak posted:

Sam was actually streaming the other day, but its very infrequent. Right now Dzyl(a very popular streamer and attends european GPs) is learning how to play Pod, although its been a bit cringe worthy how poorly he's playing it. Bahra plays a few modern decks although his technical game seems solid he does poorly when I watch him in tournaments. Miracle Joe(oarsman) plays late night(est) legacy events and 4-0s regularly with Tezz or Miracles. He has probably the best stream for Legacy on twitch, super laid back and tells fun stories from playing.

Awesome, I'll look into these guys. Thanks. :)

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Allstone posted:

If a boros reckoner pit fights/domri fights itself do you get to deal 3 damage to target creature/player once or twice?

Both cards say fights "another target creature". Cannot fight itself.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

qbert posted:

I'd like to see a card like that in an Un-set. Quit Hitting Yourself!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

The rules do say that the creature deals damage equal to its power to itself twice, so yes, you would deal 3 damage twice. But the only creature that can actually fight itself at the moment is Nightfall Predator, barring some wacky copying shenanigans.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

qbert posted:

Gah, right, I forgot that there was another thing to prevent this happening apart from the 'opponent controls' or 'you don't control' clause.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Well guess I was wrong about a R/W deck not making top 8.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Korak posted:

Yeah it just feels too efficient at times. It does everything a control deck or some funky midrange deck wants. I'm extremely curious what they do come rotation for Huey in terms of both counter magic and drawing card magic. Steam Augury is a fun card but its incredibly skill intensive and you really need it in a deck where every card is a powerhouse or you get some major benefit from your opponent helping you dump certain spells into the graveyard. Doing a quick gatherer search, Theros and BNG send a huge message that if you want to draw cards you better play creatures and enchantments to allow you to do so.

My problem with Sphinx really boils down to the fact that it lends itself too well to a deck that easily drags the game on. I really hate having to concede in game 2 just so I can move to game 3 and still worry about going to extra turns. And on top of that, in my experience the people that play it tend to take forever deciding their plays.

Steam Augury is a card I really like. It's got no place right now because if you're thinking of using it, you might as well just run Jace instead, it'll be interesting to see if it becomes more useful after rotation. I'd like to see it happen.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

morning wood posted:

Well guess I was wrong about a R/W deck not making top 8.

where can I see top 8 standings?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

quote:

U/G Madness and Coffers Control are good examples of the player-perceived criticism that "R&D is making our decks for us."
Has anyone seriously complained about this? Going on the assumption that the deck is fun to play.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

Samael posted:

where can I see top 8 standings?

http://www.starcitygames.com/events/220314_losangeles.html

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Matt Tabak hasn't gotten back to me on Twitter yet, so I present to you the following problem:

I control a Celestial Dawn. I cast Pact of Negation. On my upkeep, I go to pay for the Pact with five white mana. MTGO doesn't let me pay for it. I lose since all I can do is decline to pay and lose.

So, am I ruled out, or bugged out?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

"You can spend white mana as though it were mana of any color" is pretty unambiguous. Pact is just a delayed trigger with an optional payment, your white mana should work. Gotta be a bug.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

En Fuego posted:

Matt Tabak hasn't gotten back to me on Twitter yet, so I present to you the following problem:

I control a Celestial Dawn. I cast Pact of Negation. On my upkeep, I go to pay for the Pact with five white mana. MTGO doesn't let me pay for it. I lose since all I can do is decline to pay and lose.

So, am I ruled out, or bugged out?

Bug, you would have paid for pact with mana of any color as allowed to you by dawn, but the client didn't allow you to choose blue to pay for pact.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
YAY! More Celestial Dawn bugs!

WHY DO I TRY TO PLAY WITH IT

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Triple20 posted:

MODO players will get mad at you if you play anything that beats them, no matter how wacky or budget.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Cactrot posted:

My problem with Sphinx really boils down to the fact that it lends itself too well to a deck that easily drags the game on. I really hate having to concede in game 2 just so I can move to game 3 and still worry about going to extra turns. And on top of that, in my experience the people that play it tend to take forever deciding their plays.

This is mostly because U/W/x control featuring Rev, is an incredibly easy deck to play. Because of this, you end up getting awful players that still do well, simply because their deck usually has outs, but these players have to think about every little thing, because they aren't good enough to immediately notice the best line of play.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Why run Reckoner without Fanatic of Mogis? Seriously, does not compute.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Tubgoat posted:

Why run Reckoner without Fanatic of Mogis? Seriously, does not compute.

It's too slow for that deck.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

50 pounds of bread posted:

This is mostly because U/W/x control featuring Rev, is an incredibly easy deck to play. Because of this, you end up getting awful players that still do well, simply because their deck usually has outs, but these players have to think about every little thing, because they aren't good enough to immediately notice the best line of play.

This is the main source of my current frustrations with U/W/x. Control decks are always going to be a thing but when anyone who can fog a mirror can run one (deck construction and playing in this case) you get a rather stifling environment, or at least one that is very repetitive. My biggest question about RTR block control decks is why we never really saw an uptick in Sphinxes revelation's evil twin: Rakdos's Return. Is it really just U/W's natural inclination to go into the long game vs. R/B's inclination to run so few lands and its explosive but low volume of gas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Boxn posted:

I'd like to see a card like that in an Un-set. Quit Hitting Yourself!

Nightfall Predator can actually fight itself, which seems like it could be hilarious if you have reroute.

• Locked thread