Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
You can buy a Novak cable shifter for $160. Its supposes to be pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have another mod in mind that's going to involve ripping all of it out and barely using the stock shifter, so if I spend 3 figures on anything, I'm just gonna build custom.

Speaking of custom, here's some custom stock linkages.

Booger welded the stock bellcrank to tcase linkage back together after taking a few inches out of it. It's now roughly the same as a stock mantrans linkage, but made out of an auto linkage because that's what I had.

Doesn't look quite so bad after a couple swipes with the wire wheel.

gently caress you jeep your linkages are in and they work.

I had to use a vise, hammer, and wire wheel to free up the pinch bolt thingus on the shifter to bellcrank linkage, and it was BARELY short enough to allow adjustment. Slathered it in antiseize before I put it in so it probably won't seize up again for like 15 years.

Then I threw the transmission tunnel blockoff plate back on, bolted it down (now I can't see the road while driving!) and threw the center console back in as well as the shift boots. It almost looks factory now, I just can't get the gear pattern legend cap to go into the shifter knob, it's too stiff. It will probably go in nicely after I give it a few seconds with the hot air gun but since it's half past midnight and I have an hour drive home I'm gonna leave that adventure for another day.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

kastein posted:

You need five elbows and double jointed fingers to get to the mounting bolts even if the driveshaft's out of the way, which it now is.

Wait, who doesn't have a set in the bottom of their tool chest?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Coasterphreak posted:

Wait, who doesn't have a set in the bottom of their tool chest?

I ordered a set. but in all british fashion I got double jointed elbows and 5 wobbly fingers.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Casualties today:
my underwear
downpipe (cracked right upstream of the cat)
probably all my shocks
Two rock chips in the month old windshield

I have a ton of video to sort through.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This has to be some drat good launching fun coming out way.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cursedshitbox posted:

I ordered a set. but in all british fashion I got double jointed elbows and 5 wobbly fingers.

Thanks for that. I giggled laughed manfully for like 10 minutes.

kastein posted:

Then I threw the transmission tunnel blockoff plate back on, bolted it down (now I can't see the road while driving!) and threw the center console back in as well as the shift boots. It almost looks factory now, I just can't get the gear pattern legend cap to go into the shifter knob, it's too stiff. It will probably go in nicely after I give it a few seconds with the hot air gun but since it's half past midnight and I have an hour drive home I'm gonna leave that adventure for another day.

I hated the stock square shifter knob, so I go me a nice traditional-style resin (or whatever billiard balls and good shift knobs are made of) knob:

http://stores.ebay.com/Auto-Stars-Outlet/Engraved-Series-/_i.html?_fsub=4133775012&_sid=1132070972&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Got one with the right threads and everything - no adapters or universal BS needed. Perfect size. Need to get one like it for my RX-7. I thought about getting an aluminum one, or a steel one with the burned titanium-look, then I remembered that I lived in Texas, and would likely sear my palm during the summer. While the 5-speed pattern branded in one's palm might be cool, I'm just not into it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I can't stand those knobs either - I have an actual eight ball in the MJ that works nicely. This one though is a late model, they got much rounder knobs. Though I am using the shift tower and lever/knob from the dakota my trans came from, the rod is significantly longer which puts the knob up closer to the steering wheel. The knob is very similar to a late model XJ one, too, in fact it may be the same part.

Still uploading videos, we hit 75-80 on dirt a few times, slid around a multitude of corners, got stuck in the snow, nearly slid off the road on a badly iced opposite camber corner, and in general drove like maniacs for a long time. Apparently my rear axle left the ground a couple times when I didn't even think it did.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I love how much blood, sweat, and tears you pour into fixing your Jeeps so that you can drive them off of cliffs.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Safety Dance posted:

I love how much blood, sweat, and tears you pour into fixing your Jeeps so that you can drive them off of cliffs.

Thats the best feeling.

all the hours of frustration and bullshittery.

all to return the favor bouncing the fucker off the nearest biggest rock possible.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

Millions for drivetrain, but not one cent for bodywork :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCnE_cuhGys

More to come, I need to actually edit some of this instead of just trimming the ends and youtube's editor sucks hard.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

Millions for drivetrain, but not one cent for bodywork :v:

I've noticed that you tend to build things up better after they break so that they are less likely to break again.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Sandbagger SA posted:

I've noticed that you tend to build things up better after they break so that they are less likely to break again.

More like so they break in a new and interesting way next time :v:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Cakefool posted:

More like so they break in a new and interesting way next time :v:

This is the jeep way: upgrade one thing, break something else.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I try to keep my drivetrain/suspension "fuses" cheap.

Axleshafts and bushings/control arms/etc are pretty cheap and easy to replace. So are shock absorbers.

Chassis and ring/pinion sets are not.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Goddammit, Windows Movie Maker sucks a big fat one. It's telling me I don't have enough RAM to save a 3:20 video... I guess I'll fire it up on my machine at work over lunch.

Also, goddammit, why are weld-on DIY beadlock kits only $80 more than the weld-on rim stiffener/rock ring kits I was going to buy? This is sorely tempting and financially unwise.

While I ponder this decision and yell at my computer because video editing stinks, here is a video I didn't really have to edit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIUku_jMqO0

At 2:30 we nearly die. Corner was sloped to the outside and shaded a lot more than the rest of the road... so it was a giant sheet of ice.

By this point I'd realized that my rear right tire was rapidly going from "real low on tread" to "drat near bald" so I knew why it was kicking out way easier turning right than left. Pretty sure my rear tires lost 1/16" of tread yesterday, and the right one had maybe 1/8" to begin with, so it's basically done at this point. At the end of the day it was kicking out even trying to go straight at 40mph in third gear with anything over about 1/3rd throttle.

The plan was to have a new tire on, and a limited slip in the back by now, but last weekend was a giant shitshow and didn't go as well as I wanted it to upgrades wise, so there wasn't enough time to get those in as well as the transmission/transfer case/engine repairs and replacements.

e: apparently my voice goes up a couple octaves when I almost slide off the loving road sideways :haw:

kastein fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 24, 2014

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

kastein posted:

Goddammit, Windows Movie Maker sucks a big fat one. It's telling me I don't have enough RAM to save a 3:20 video... I guess I'll fire it up on my machine at work over lunch.

Also, goddammit, why are weld-on DIY beadlock kits only $80 more than the weld-on rim stiffener/rock ring kits I was going to buy? This is sorely tempting and financially unwise.

While I ponder this decision and yell at my computer because video editing stinks, here is a video I didn't really have to edit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIUku_jMqO0

At 2:30 we nearly die. Corner was sloped to the outside and shaded a lot more than the rest of the road... so it was a giant sheet of ice.

By this point I'd realized that my rear right tire was rapidly going from "real low on tread" to "drat near bald" so I knew why it was kicking out way easier turning right than left. Pretty sure my rear tires lost 1/16" of tread yesterday, and the right one had maybe 1/8" to begin with, so it's basically done at this point. At the end of the day it was kicking out even trying to go straight at 40mph in third gear with anything over about 1/3rd throttle.

The plan was to have a new tire on, and a limited slip in the back by now, but last weekend was a giant shitshow and didn't go as well as I wanted it to upgrades wise, so there wasn't enough time to get those in as well as the transmission/transfer case/engine repairs and replacements.

e: apparently my voice goes up a couple octaves when I almost slide off the loving road sideways :haw:

That looks fun as gently caress.

My voice went higher this saturday. :(

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Looks fun. I need to get my wagon straightened out better to attend these trips. Or you nerds need to come up north.....

And I'm glad you noted the tire wear issues. It's frustrating when you're 200 miles into a 400 mile trip hauling rear end and you can feel having less traction than when you started the day.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I just wish I'd had time to slap the newer ones on. That was scary as poo poo, especially on snow, to the point that if I'd realized it was going to be that bad I may not have gone.

I'd love to head north sometime this summer, just not sure when.

There is absolutely no way your wagon would have made some of this, unless I'm forgetting suspension/tire upgrades you've done. Even just the first road both of us had to dig out when we got stuck, and we needed every bit of ground clearance we had. We ended up turning around halfway through what we planned to get through in the day because we both got stuck (again) about a thousand feet into one of the roads... that is several miles long.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese
HEY KASTEIN: FOUR WORDS FOR YOU FROM OPEL LADY:

4.0 CLOSED COOLANT SYSTEM.

:v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

gently caress all that noise, 91+ open cooling system or bust.

I mean, it works, but it's a royal pain in the rear end to burp and the tanks tend to fail when they get elderly.

Oh, delete the plastic heater control valve, too, it basically does nothing and isn't even installed on 97 and later vehicles. It's one more ancient plastic part to explode into a pile of dust if you look at it funny. I broke one in half changing my spark plugs in 09 or so.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Finally got windows movie maker to save the video I was editing... by using a more powerful computer. Whoever wrote this thing sucks at coding, oh well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3sTIXYBgw4

Got rockchipped at ~1:03 for the second time (following too close I guess) and nearly became a snowbank decoration later on.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The downpipe finished breaking in half last night on the way home, good thing I tied it on with brake tubing. That loving thing was brand new maybe 3-4 months ago, I need to improve my exhaust mounting and maybe slow down a bit... wait hahahaha nope. I think I'll fix the exhaust mounting, anyways.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Like I said, tied on with brake tubing. Did this about halfway through the dirt drive last Saturday when I realized it was rapidly parting ways with the rest of the vehicle and was going to 1. drag the O2 sensor wiring harness into the spinning driveshaft and 2. pole vault the jeep or turn into a pretzel attempting to if it finished breaking without some sort of emergency assistance.

Very loving Broken

Slightly Less Broken (UltimateForce eat your heart out! Check out those fully sick booger welds)

Maybe I should half rear end the catcon/downpipe support bracket I finally got (in somewhat hacked up condition, for free) back together with a piece of shitpipe and a MIG welder

Yup definitely a solid plan

420 booger weld errday

Fin :toot:

It shouldn't break again at this point... I may add a flex joint at the downpipe crossover under the bellhousing just for shits and giggles though, it'd probably help preserve the manifold.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I had a similar thing happen on the rally car last summer. Nuked the exhaust right before the cat. This year I plan to get some flat stock to weld to the bottom of all the junctions to serve as connection reinforcements + act as a mini-skid for the system.

Good work on the repair and 420 poo poo welds erry day.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

kastein posted:

drag the O2 sensor wiring harness into the spinning driveshaft

When I bought my jeep the guy had just installed a new o2 sensor. A few weeks later I was under the jeep fixing some other poo poo and noticed that he had indeed replaced the sensor, but the plastic mount that holds the wiring to the underside of the vehicle was unattached and just hanging there, held up by the sensor itself and undoubtedly bouncing off the driveshaft with every turn.

I had had the jeep to the mechanic at that point for new brake lines too, but he must not have noticed....

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That is how I learned that the o2 sensor heaters, ignition coil, ECU, alternator field coil, fuel pump, and all the injectors are powered off the same fuse. When that cable hits the driveshaft and wears through, the fuse blows and you are dead in the water.

I have had that fuse blow a dozen times on 3 different jeeps for that reason and other similar issues (rear fuel pump wiring munched by the axle housing, went through a whole box of fuses just limping it home.) This time, I learned.

Today I got all the small random parts I need to fix the XJ a bit more, saw two dana 60s I might buy, found an nv4500 I am going to pull and buy tomorrow to sell for a profit, and picked up a free 4.2 I6 crank/rods donor... literally. Apparently I can lift and carry a 4.2L shortblock without too much discomfort, except the part where it tried to put a timing cover bolt through my forearm :v:

Not sure if I am going to buy engine rebuild poo poo, a set of tires and beadlocks for the XJ, or fuel injectors for the 5 ton with the profits from this nv4500.

I love it when I find a few new junkyards to haunt, hit 6 yards in one day, and find everything I need and more.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

NV4500 pulled! Got out the door with the transmission, floor shift boot, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, inspection cover, pedal box, master/slave hydraulics set, and some other odds and ends for $270. Seeing as I'm about to list it for sale for $1100 (or $1300 including the extra goodies) I think that's pretty fair... :v:

So here's the 4.2 crank/rods donor shortblock I picked up for free. Assuming they're in salvageable shape (it's been sitting behind a shed with a tattered garbage bag over the fire deck for, oh, several years, and is clearly not rebuildable as an engine) it looks like I need to buy the rest of the crap I need to make a 4.0 into a 4.5.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b34Mw9b7MA

Between hauling that giant lump of worthless iron out from behind a friend's shed to the jeep, unloading it at my place, and pulling this NV4500, I am gonna be pretty drat beat at work tomorrow. Good thing I get to sit on my rear end and write firmware all day.

e: oh yeah! Here's something we found while pulling the NV4500 today. Some chucklefuck lost or broke one of their flywheel bolts (on a 5.9L V8 fullsize pickup...) and thought to themselves "oh, I'll just run on down to the hardware store for another!"

One of these things is not like the other!

It's a loving GRADE 5 chinesium hardware store bolt! With a lockwasher, not because it needed one, but because... it was too long and would have hit the block otherwise!

Oh, and the best part? The bolts were all way too goddamn tight, judging by feel. I think whoever did this rattle gunned them back on. They're lucky they have all their toes still.

kastein fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 31, 2014

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

kastein posted:

It's a loving GRADE 5 chinesium hardware store bolt! With a lockwasher, not because it needed one, but because... it was too long and would have hit the block otherwise!

Oh, and the best part? The bolts were all way too goddamn tight, judging by feel. I think whoever did this rattle gunned them back on. They're lucky they have all their toes still.

Prior to hanging out (aka stalking) around AI, and some of the bolt sperging that has been going on in the past year or so, this would not scare me as much because I wouldn't have understood. Holy crap.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I listed the transmission for 1100, the clutch crap for 150, and the pedal box and hydraulics for 150 this morning on CL. Package deal, take all for 1300.

Tonight some wiseass gave me poo poo about my price, so I played dumb. Turns out he just wanted to yap about dodge parts monkeyfuckery and how to build things out of dodge legos, so whatever, I will yap about that with drat near anyone.

Then some guy emails me and offers me 1150 for all of it... I think he thinks he is screwing me on this? Oh well, I guess I can handle only making $880 profit in a few days instead of $1030 :v:

Hopefully he actually buys this poo poo instead of disappearing.

Also, I need more junkyards to haunt. If I can keep up this average of finding and flipping one every 3 weeks, ace and I will each make about 7 grand extra this year just flipping transmissions on the internet. And that's assuming I have to actually keep listing them... I figure once I sell a half dozen or so, I will end up with the reputation of being "that guy who we call when we need an nv4500."

Just found a place where I can get full rebuild kits including input and output shafts for $300 a pop, too. With that kit I can turn a $170 junkyard gas v8 nv4500 into a $1600 fully rebuilt diesel nv4500 in a days work :unsmigghh:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Tore the 258 stroker crank/rods donor motor (gotten for $free.99) down tonight. Rods look great, crank looks a little sickly.

It has a 3235477 crank. This is one of the variants with the 64mm nose for the old V-belt harmonic balancer; I'll need to spend around 30 bucks with Hesco to get a serpentine belt HB spacer washer, have a friend machine one, or have the end of the crank milled down 10mm.

The crank has some definite scoring on both the rod and main journals. I hope having it turned 10 under will take it all off, if not, 20 under I guess.

Unsure what block I'm going to build with at this point. If we'd been slightly more judicious in our application of thermite to the old block from my '98 at the last NEAI meetup at my house, I'd use that one just so I could say I was running a stroker made with an engine that had been thermited :v:

Haven't chosen the rest of the parts but I'm aiming for 4.5L displacement, approx. Will probably swipe a set of NVH-block main bearing bolts/studs/nuts and a main bearing cap girdle and use those on it regardless of what block I base this on.

The 258 block is possibly rebuildable, but it's got some ugly bore rust from sitting outside for a few years with a ratty garbage bag wrapped around it, has an oil pressure sender broken off in it (this may sound familiar to some!) and had a pretty significant ring ridge even before it got rusted. So I think I'm gonna dump it in my 55 gallon parts washer for cleanup, sandblast it, and turn it into a table. The cam will probably get cleaned up, lacquered, and turned into a towel rack in the bathroom...

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

kastein posted:

Also, I need more junkyards to haunt.

You don't know how lucky you are. There is one (1) junkyard here that lets you pull your own parts. That's it. I think there are one or two more like 3+ hours away but last I heard they no longer let you pull your own.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Not to gloat, but I have:
Eastern Vehicle Recycling (30 miles west, I barely ever go)
Sams Pull a Part
Millis Pick n Pull (gravel, all vehicles on stands, awesome)
Everett's Used Auto Parts (pretty decent)
Brockton Auto Parts (Lord of the Flies style, poo poo smashed and piled everywhere, crummy prices, no idea where anything is, not going back)
Regal Auto Parts (just crushed EVERYTHING except like a dozen cars and sent it to BAP, I'll be back in a month when they get a good collection going again)
Freetown Pick n Pull (gravel, all vehicles on stands, awesome)
Cumberland Pick n Pull (gravel, all vehicles on stands, awesome) - this is where I've been pulling an nv4500 every month or so. Their 1 ton truck inventory is excellent. I need to go here as often as possible
Jacks Used Auto Parts (halfway between Sams style and BAP, good stuff, good prices, they list on car-part but also allow you-pull! I like this place, and they're close enough for a lunch break outing at work)
Hollands Used Auto Parts (prices are stupid high, pretty close to Lord of the Flies style, not a fan. They used to do all you can carry days, which I was a fan of for all the obvious reasons.)
Smiths Used Auto (iirc) up in Clinton. Their prices are kinda dumb, but they have a 6BT for sale for $800 that I might pick up sometime.
Goldies somewhere near Millis. Rumored to have a few $500-800 6BTs as well.
There are a few yards in southern NH, one in Walpole, one in Waltham, and a few in northeastern Mass that I haven't even checked out yet. Brandybrow up near Haverhill and the Candia LKQ are places I need to check out soon.
Plus I just heard about 3 yards in Middleboro that I need to check out.
There are 2-3 small semi private yards within 10 miles of me that I literally tell no one about because they have some really awesome stuff and I want first dibs on it. One of them has a pile of pre-pulled truck front axles that probably weighs twenty tons. I still haven't looked through half of it. :ninja:

And that's just the you-pull yards that I have found so far.

I might be insane for doing this (my usual Saturday loop takes all morning and is about 150 miles of driving), but hell, every few weeks I find and pull something worth a mint. If all goes well I'm selling the latest NV4500 parts pile tomorrow night for $1300. $1000 profit on $270 in parts in 5 days without even really trying that hard to sell it makes these kind of shenanigans worthwhile.

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 3, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
edit: :monocle: holy poo poo!

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

You don't know how lucky you are. There is one (1) junkyard here that lets you pull your own parts. That's it. I think there are one or two more like 3+ hours away but last I heard they no longer let you pull your own.

Same, there's a yard about 45 minutes from me, buried way back in the woods (I get lost every single time I go, always make the same wrong turn :downs:) that lets you crawl all over their stuff but they rarely have the vehicle I'm looking for. The next closest self-service junkyard is a U-Pull-It that's almost 2 hours away that I've been wanting to go to for years but :effort:

The closest junkyard to me doesn't let you pull your parts and they charge outrageous prices for everything, like maybe 25% less than what new poo poo would cost. They also always have this...attitude about them. I assume it's because I only ever want import/euro parts, and most of their regulars are ignorant beer-bellied hicks with rusty old F-150s. gently caress them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

The closest junkyard to me doesn't let you pull your parts and they charge outrageous prices for everything, like maybe 25% less than what new poo poo would cost. They also always have this...attitude about them. I assume it's because I only ever want import/euro parts, and most of their regulars are ignorant beer-bellied hicks with rusty old F-150s. gently caress them.

Hey! That's my closest yard too!

They also lie to me when outright asked if it's in their yard or they are getting it form somewhere else.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Guess who has two thumbs and just sold a $270 transmission and parts pile for $1300 5 days after buying it?

I need to find more of these. Like, now.

I think the next one is gonna get a full rebuild and then list it for $2k. :haw:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Bomb rear end!

Keep this up and you can put a v10 in the MJ aftermotherfuckingall.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Sometimes I just want to post my local yard's inventory and ask you what I should pull. You make me want to start flipping parts.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Makes me want to get another lovely jeep, drive it to wherever kastein lives, and then just spend a week installing whatever parts he says to install.

That or, give him my debit card and install whatever parts he throws at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I don't really have the time to do that anymore :(

Speaking of which, I am debating canning the 5.9 MJ project... 5.9s really don't make that much power and I can sell the transmission I got for that project for a hell of a lot if I rebuild it as a diesel/V10 edition. Like, 1600-2 grand, with aroud 600 actual money into parts/transmission and an evening of work. I am not sure a 5.9 is worth the amount of time and money it will take to put it in the vehicle.