Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

PleasantDirge posted:

My biggest question about RTR block control decks is why we never really saw an uptick in Sphinxes revelation's evil twin: Rakdos's Return. Is it really just U/W's natural inclination to go into the long game vs. R/B's inclination to run so few lands and its explosive but low volume of gas?

I think this is a core reason, yeah - Rakdos Aggro just has other, better curve-toppers, like Exava or (maybe) Underworld Cerberus. Return being sorcery speed really sucks, too. Control gives up very little (if anything) to revelate, since tapping out on your opponent's end step is pretty safe. Rakdos probably has to use a turn to Return, and it could be developing the board at that point.

That being said, I've seen a couple of Jund Monsters lists run Return as a one or two of, which I think is sorta neat. That list has lots of things to drop into the "costs a poo poo-ton" slot, but it also runs enough acceleration where it could really ruin someone's day.

EDIT: Let us also never forget that Goon Favorite MURDERGOATS is also capable of running Return, since it plays for a longer game. The best game I ever had with the deck involved a control player Revelating for 6, passing the turn, then me Returning him for the same. Felt good.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Esper Control Mirror in the SCG LA final. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Burn and G/R Monsters get top 4 at SCG this weekend but we're about to have a real barn burner in the finals, Esper Control vs. UW (b sideboard). Sphinx's Revelation can't rotate fast enough.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ugh.

I like Sphinx's Rev because I use it to remain relevant as a Prophet Bant deck that constantly needs poo poo to flash into the battlefield but come on.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Why all the hate for Esper control? It's definitely not an easy archetype to play and it's way more entertaining to watch than the R/W "Hurp de durp watch me cast burn spells".

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
^^^ The games can be seen as boring. I personally enjoy them if its a competitive match and not just a blow out.

PleasantDirge posted:

This is the main source of my current frustrations with U/W/x. Control decks are always going to be a thing but when anyone who can fog a mirror can run one (deck construction and playing in this case) you get a rather stifling environment, or at least one that is very repetitive. My biggest question about RTR block control decks is why we never really saw an uptick in Sphinxes revelation's evil twin: Rakdos's Return. Is it really just U/W's natural inclination to go into the long game vs. R/B's inclination to run so few lands and its explosive but low volume of gas?
Rakdo's Return doesn't stop someone from top decking another Sphinx. Slaughter Games deals with Sphinx but as most control players will tell you that if you're packing slaughter games you're 1-4 threats lighter to be pressuring me with. It's the ol' "One Sphinx doesn't kill you, its chaining sphinxes that kills you."

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I think because its not fun to play against. Play a spell! Countered. Play a single powerful creature to lure a verdict, hero's downfall. Play a bunch of smaller creatures to avoid a snipe spell and get damage, verdict. Then it'll take a while for them to find their win condition and kill you.

Granted, Esper vs Esper would be fun to watch.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

PleasantDirge posted:

This is the main source of my current frustrations with U/W/x. Control decks are always going to be a thing but when anyone who can fog a mirror can run one (deck construction and playing in this case) you get a rather stifling environment, or at least one that is very repetitive. My biggest question about RTR block control decks is why we never really saw an uptick in Sphinxes revelation's evil twin: Rakdos's Return. Is it really just U/W's natural inclination to go into the long game vs. R/B's inclination to run so few lands and its explosive but low volume of gas?

An X spell that makes you discard is only good for when you have a decent amount of mana and your opponent has a decent amount of cards. That means playing a RB shell that has a long game and expects to see a lot of control. Also against control, you just will get countered so its fairly useless. Return is probably only useful when your X=3+ The goody trading post deck that goons are in love with could run it, its a sort of long game RB deck, but even so its not super useful when your opponent has just vomited out their threats. If it was uncounterable it would be a whole nother story.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

PleasantDirge posted:

I think it's the latter: there simply hasn't been a B/R deck that wants to run Rakdos's Return. The Br devotion deck Eric Froehlich is playing in GP Cincinnati looks pretty sweet though and I think he is running several.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

Deckit posted:

I think because its not fun to play against. Play a spell! Countered. Play a single powerful creature to lure a verdict, hero's downfall. Play a bunch of smaller creatures to avoid a snipe spell and get damage, verdict. Then it'll take a while for them to find their win condition and kill you.

Granted, Esper vs Esper would be fun to watch.

It's a pretty interesting matchup. There is still one game left (it's streaming live on SCG Twitch stream).

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Sick of watching the GP? Come watch me continue to not pay for cube drafts instead!

http://www.twitch.tv/tweeternal_witness

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Oh my god, this Esper Mirror. Revelation, Notion Thief, Gainsay, Syncopate, Notion Thief hits the board.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

morning wood posted:

It's a pretty interesting matchup. There is still one game left (it's streaming live on SCG Twitch stream).

Bwwahaha. Gain Say against Notion Thief was countered by a top-decked Syncopate for 1. Bwwwahahah.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Boxn posted:

I'd like to see a card like that in an Un-set. Quit Hitting Yourself!

Was secret tech vs. Phyrexian Obliterator back in that standard.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Watching Efro lose never stops being funny. Such a poor loser.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
gently caress yes, Std Dredge might just be in the top 8 of GP Cincinnati. Looks like Ari Lax taking it all the way! Conley gonna be the proudest poppa deck builder if Ari can win it all.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Korak posted:

gently caress yes, Std Dredge might just be in the top 8 of GP Cincinnati. Looks like Ari Lax taking it all the way! Conley gonna be the proudest poppa deck builder if Ari can win it all.

Haha, I was just sitting here thinking about finishing that list to fiddle with. I need to pick up herald of torments.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Black Aggro in contention for top 8 also. Lot of black/x this weekend for Cincinnati. SCG seemed to have a good mix of decks.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Anyone have Efro's list available?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
^^^ Not yet but it seemed stock Rakdos Midrange except he took the pack rats out. There's a list running around that has just 1 packrat in the mainboard so I'm guessing EFro used that as launching point.

Holy poo poo Kiora + Courser in the Bant Control shell doing some insane things. Did Dean Bilz figure out the deck list to crush the control mirror matches?

ONE MORE TURN. gently caress. What a crazy last game to go to a draw with.

Korak fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 23, 2014

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Bant midrange deck tech coming up.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Look at all the stuff I need to get but can't because it's about 200 dollars. :sigh:

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I think I'm short two sphinx's revs and one of each jace.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Where are you guys watching coverage of Cincinnati? All I'm seeing is SCG Legacy and Vienna.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

What a Judas posted:

Where are you guys watching coverage of Cincinnati? All I'm seeing is SCG Legacy and Vienna.
http://www.twitch.tv/ggslive Top 8 should be around 4pm EST, last round up now!

Korak fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 23, 2014

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

What a Judas posted:

It's almost as if Wizards has a coverage page for their events that will tell you where the video coverage is.

But yeah, if they're running two GPs with video, one will be the main twitch channel and the other will be on ggslive.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Thanks, guys, I didn't know that.

I never check the coverage page. The main Magic site is a piece of dogshit.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Always just go to https://www.sideboard.com it will redirect to the coverage site and let you bypass all the other nonsense.

Coincidentally that is also how you can spot old magic players set in their ways, they will have bookmarks for sideboard.com or still just use the url directly since that used to be the old main url before dailymtg.com became a thing.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I think I'm short two sphinx's revs and one of each jace.

An Archangel, 3 Elspeths, and 3 Mutavaults. :sigh:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
:lol: I love how clueless commentators can be sometimes. "Looks like Jadine is about to die. Wait! She just dealt with everything on the board and reset the game." Then they're back to "She can't win."

Everyone has been complaining how low quality the stream looks this weekend now we know why. "I did the set up this week." from Marshall.

Korak fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 23, 2014

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

Korak posted:

:lol: I love how clueless commentators can be sometimes. "Looks like Jadine is about to die. Wait! She just dealt with everything on the board and reset the game." Then they're back to "She can't win."

Yeah it's pretty sad. The SCG coverage is way better.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Wow, that was an intense game 2.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Ari Lax looks like he's gonna crush that B/W guy. Come on Top 8! :fh::fh::fh:

"This whip won't be a big deal to brad because he's at 18 life." Uhhhh the reason whip is strong especially with ratchet bomb on 3 is because 1) You can't deal with it easily, 2) It means you must kill every creature twice, 3) on 7 mana a whipped back Pack Rat does sick things by making a copy that stays in play.

Korak fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 23, 2014

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Korak posted:

Ari Lax looks like he's gonna crush that B/W guy. Come on Top 8! :fh::fh::fh:

"This whip won't be a big deal to brad because he's at 18 life.Drawing a million cards"

loving Sphinx's Revelation, man.

Edit: Ari Lax! Nooo!

Well, several people from where I went to school and still have a lot of friends are in top 8, including the guy playing that sick Bant List.

Rogue 7 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 23, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
I'm loving Black Aggro guy's deck tech. "Thank you man you were almost there!"

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Jeff Pyka, Jared Boettcher, Clyde Martin, Bradford Grant, Brad Nelson, Kyle Boggemes, Jacob Maynard, Auston Tramper as the top 8. Tremendous amount of black I think in this top 8.

At least one Hexproof deck made it all the way. Going to crush it? Ugh it just hit me Hexproof staples are gonna go up from all the dumb copy cat "speculators."

Korak fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 23, 2014

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Yay, Ari Lax has a deck tech with his list up on youtube, which is pretty much the accepted current Dredge list I've been finding around. His sideboard options are interesting, I never thought about having an Ooze for the rare chance you'd be facing the mirror.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
...Well, Forecast is a mechanic I never knew existed until Hatch just showed it on stream just now.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Wow, I like this weird blue deck on the scg stream. So many cards I've never seen before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
This is the best legacy match ever.

• Locked thread