Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Actually you get to be all of them at once, you sort of become this distributed hive-mind like entity.

It's pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
At the end of the episode, Shiroe knew a lot. A ridiculous amount.

Is that going to be explained later? It's a little silly that he lays out so many big reveals just as the season ends. If he's got an inside man, or found a way of spying on them, or that old mage told him some things, that would be fine. As is though, Shiroe was practically omniscient.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

User0015 posted:

Is that going to be explained later? It's a little silly that he lays out so many big reveals just as the season ends. If he's got an inside man, or found a way of spying on them, or that old mage told him some things, that would be fine. As is though, Shiroe was practically omniscient.

It may be that he has an inside man or is spying somehow. But I think that he knows about her buying the cathedral and forcing everyone to join her guild because those are things he considered himself, but discarded either because he felt it was too cutthroat or that he didn't trust himself not to abuse the power. What she's done is essentially a more extreme version of what he did himself.

kazakirinyancat
Sep 8, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

The obvious answer would be that all your characters wake up with all your memories and personality, each thinking that they are "you". As long as they don't meet, no one knows better, but when they do...

The author mentioned that Shiroe had an alt that he used as a mule and that he was going to introduce her sometime later in the story. This would be hilarious if what you said was what the author had in mind.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

User0015 posted:

I think the implication is that "Ooshima", the guy Shiroe thought he was going to meet, was his informant.

e: Here's the translated Q&A. Lot of cool things, some trivia, a little insight into the world.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 23, 2014

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Vengarr posted:

I think the implication is that "Ooshima", the guy Shiroe thought he was going to meet, was his informant.

e: Here's the translated Q&A. Lot of cool things, some trivia, a little insight into the world.

There was a quick mention of Ooshima contacting Shiroe in episode 21; I think you'll find the name of Ooshima's guild to be somewhat of a give-away :v: .

kazakirinyancat
Sep 8, 2012

Furious Lobster posted:

There was a quick mention of Ooshima contacting Shiroe in episode 21; I think you'll find the name of Ooshima's guild to be somewhat of a give-away :v: .

A spy network guild! I never thought of that before. I wonder if the Goonwaffe has something like that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

kazakirinyancat posted:

A spy network guild! I never thought of that before. I wonder if the Goonwaffe has something like that.

Well, they have a fairly organised spy network, certainly, but I'm not precisely sure what its organisation is.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, they have a fairly organised spy network, certainly, but I'm not precisely sure what its organisation is.

Probably doesn't make sense to have them put into a formalized guild; it'd kinda kill your cover if someone could look at your player info and see "!!I AM A SPY!!".

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Furious Lobster posted:

That's a really really nice touch. drat

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Furious Lobster posted:

Ahahaha, so Shiroe has become Varys! Excellent. What a lovely sly reference!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Some people undoubtedly left the town instead of joining plant hwyaden (or however the hell it is spelled). Shiroe knowing the state of that town isn't strange at all. As for the rest, he either figured it out on his own or learned it from informers. As for why Shiroe would have informers at all, remember that he was a solo player for a long time and he met a lot of people. In other words, it is just a matter of having a well-populated friend list.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Oh, as an aside? My welsh is pretty rusty since I haven't actually used it in years, but when I heard Plant Hwyaden it sounded incredibly welsh to me. But I just remembered! "Plant" means children, and "Hwyaden" means...duck. It basically means duck children. I can't remember if there actually is a specific word for duckling, so it might translate more accurately to that.

Monsieur Mango
Apr 29, 2009
Angry uneducated white person

User0015 posted:

The thing is, in the past few episodes, it's been stated that he has been doing research in his office for the past week and hasn't come out. It's not that far-fetched.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

As I recall from reading the light novel (I started the light novel mid-way as I didn't want to re-read what I'd already seen in the anime), Shiroe had a long-time spy-type relationship with at least one other player. He was meeting with Ooshima to get to get info on Nureha. I think. This seems like something he did fairly regularly. I got the impression of "...while we haven't mentioned this situation before...Shiroe went to meet with Ooshima for a regularly schedule informant-to-Shiroe meeting...." or so.

Anyway. With Nureha meeting Shiroe there instead of Ooshima, I was thinking, "Oh poo poo. Nureha got the drop on Ooshima and he's toast...."

Maybe not. We don't really know, but I can't help but wonder if Ooshima is either going to be pursued/punished by Nureha or if he's no longer going to be a useful informant. In fact, I don't really know what his relationship with Nureha is other than he appears to be a significant source of information for Shiroe regarding at least Nureha if not others.

Yeah. I'm the guy with three level 90's and two level 80's, but I'd be stuck in the world with my level 22 Pandaren Girl Monk. At least she summersaults like a pro. The best would be if they all were awakened in the "world-game" and thought they were me. We could form our own guild. I'd call it, "All About Me."

I don't know what is so special about children duck either.... (could it be a reference to this?)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Perhaps it has to do with the story of the ugly duckling? I mean Nureha's background is rather dominated by her feelings of being rejected by society and all, it seems like the sort of story she might empathize with.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Furious Lobster posted:

This anime just keeps getting better.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I don't expect this to be addressed in the story, but with all of this new info I'm a little bit worried that any random lander (possibly with Nureha or anyone else's backing) could just wander into Akihabara and buy the Cathedral and totally gently caress everyone. The Round Table needs to pre-emptively make a defensive purchase but drat, that could be a PR nightmare. I guess they could incorporate the city and give everyone equal ownership or whatever.

Then again, with anything now possible in the world, I guess there's no reason to think that they couldn't just build a new Cathedral, given the right resources.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

XboxPants posted:

I don't expect this to be addressed in the story, but with all of this new info I'm a little bit worried that any random lander (possibly with Nureha or anyone else's backing) could just wander into Akihabara and buy the Cathedral and totally gently caress everyone. The Round Table needs to pre-emptively make a defensive purchase but drat, that could be a PR nightmare. I guess they could incorporate the city and give everyone equal ownership or whatever.

Then again, with anything now possible in the world, I guess there's no reason to think that they couldn't just build a new Cathedral, given the right resources.

The issue is the divergence between the game mechanics (which are still enforced) and the more informal societal agreements. The Round Table can't buy the Cathedral itself because the game mechanics only allow a individual guild to buy the Cathedral, and any one member of the Round Table holding the Cathedral would create a power imbalance.

Log Horizon makes the most sense to buy the Cathedral, since they're already the holders of the guild building, but considering Shiroe's already questionable reputation with the other adventurers...

I wonder if the magical contract law could be used to make the cathedral a community service owned by all adventurers of Akihabara?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

They could probably use the magical contract law skill to create a common-use contract or some kind of dummy "holding guild" that would have collective ownership of the Cathedral and grant dual membership. So you could be a member of the "Akihabara Holding Trust guild" as a secondary guild to your primary guild, which would guarantee access to the facilities and buildings owned collectively by the residents of Akihabara.

I also wonder if in the next season they'll deal with the issue of succession of power. As it is, the only reason why Akihabara works as well as it does is that the founding members of Round Table happen to be fairly benevolent people. But this system will only last one generation. Once they have to move on, or if someone needs to succeed them for some other reason, the tendency will be for oligarchy to move towards monopolizing power for their own benefit instead of the community's.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
As far as Log Horizon goes, Shiroe has a great successor in Minori, but we have no idea about the other guilds. On the other hand, I don't think any of them expect to fall from power since they're all pseudo immortal, or maybe just straight up immortal (won't die from natural causes), anyway.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah. Hasn't Shirou been alive in game for hundreds of years.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

So Round Table will just stay in power forever like the Faction leaders in Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri? That's hardly better. There's issues with that as well. Like what if some personal disagreement or scandal makes one or two of them very unpopular, or someone has a nervous breakdown and starts to behave irrationally? How do you remove these people from office? What if the crafting guilds use their influence on the council to monopolize all trade in the city for their own benefit, and give preferential treatment to their own guildmembers? You can't just depend on them being just and benevolent and good forever; some system needs to be put into place such that it guarantees fresh blood being rotated into Round Table, and to address issues like unseating a member.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 24, 2014

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

DrSunshine posted:

So Round Table will just stay in power forever like the Faction leaders in Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri? That's hardly better. There's issues with that as well. Like what if some personal disagreement or scandal makes one or two of them very unpopular, or someone has a nervous breakdown and starts to behave irrationally? How do you remove these people from office? What if the crafting guilds use their influence on the council to monopolize all trade in the city for their own benefit, and give preferential treatment to their own guildmembers? You can't just depend on them being just and benevolent and good forever; some system needs to be put into place such that it guarantees fresh blood being rotated into Round Table, and to address issues like unseating a member.

This is essentially a dictatorship acting as a council because the dictator doesn't want absolute power and is willingly ceding to others.

Shiroe still has power. Even more so than he had before. now that there is an actual economy. Shiroe has even more power as he still has control over all of the guild banks their guild storage(assuming it's in their guild hall) etc etc.

There is essentially one point of failure, and that's Log Horizon

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
The news that Nureha had gotten the gates working again is actually bad news for the Round Table, as one of their primary sources of power - control over guild bank access - can be bypassed by accessing the bank in Minami. However, that puts you under Nureha's thumb, as you get tied to the cathedral in the city you're in and can then get killed without having access to the Minami cathedral if you're not in her guild. I was actually wondering why Shiroe didn't but the cathedral in the first place, as immortality is the primary source of power for the adventurers.

Now the :tinfoil: question is, who's to say he or the Round Table didn't actually buy the cathedral as well after consolidating power if only to prevent somebody else from snatching it up?

chami fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 24, 2014

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

chami posted:

Now the :tinfoil: question is, who's to say he or the Round Table didn't actually buy the cathedral as well after consolidating power if only to prevent somebody else from snatching it up?

The anime kind of glosses over it but the upkeep costs for owning the big important buildings are insane. Shiroe's personal hoard wouldn't have kept the guild building under his thumb for very long so he's pretty fortunate that the other Round Table members were willing to give it a try. The fact that his plan worked and benefited Akiba immensely just means that the other guild leaders aren't likely to try and seize power as he's proven responsible thus far.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Thinking about it, Nureha seems to have better consolidated Minami as a polity than Shiroe has with Akiba. Putting all residents under one guild is basically making them all citizens of Rome, essentially. And consolidating the upkeep costs and distributing them aong the guildmembers is basically the equivalent of creating a unified taxation system. It's more centralized and stable to have it all under one banner instead of as a coalition. I do hope that the next season involves the two city-states going to war at some point. ATHENS VS SPARTA! :black101: :unsmigghh:

kazakirinyancat
Sep 8, 2012
Mamare posted on his blog about the unique classes for the server regions. There's a link to a google doc at the bottom to vote for the ones you like.

http://mamare.net/topics/4052/

The Lumberjack is up for North America.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

What kind of MMO doesn't already have Knight as a class? :confused:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Silento posted:

What kind of MMO doesn't already have Knight as a class? :confused:

Knight is an NPC class.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm coming up on finishing this series and I REALLY enjoy it, aside from some of the silly 'I'm a girl therefore my main role in life is to blush and stammer until I pass out' things. I was very surprised with how good I thought this show turned out. Forgive my somewhat disjointed posting below.

I liked a lot the society building and social interaction, and the focus on the strategic and teamwork aspects of the combat and in general, too. It still felt like a solid and well thought out show. I also liked that there wasn't really fanservice (although I could have done without the waste of time scenes between that little assassin girl and the one who tried to dress her up all the time :psyduck:).

I've heard that a show called Spice and Wolf is similar in regards to being less focused on sick spinning sword backflip headslice explosions and more to do with social/economic/diplomatic relationships and whatnot.

I've also seen online recommendations for a thing called Code Geass: Lelouch. Is that similar? However, reading things about Sword Art Online or dotHack that also seem to be getting recommended a lot don't seem to interest me.

I really love Legend of the Galactic Heroes, too, if that matters.

Are there other animes shows that are alike in style and...theme(? not setting, necessarily) to Log Horizon? If I enjoyed this show, what are a few others that might be as enjoyable?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Spice and Wolf is damned great and I recommend it heartily. Be warned, the anime doesn't really have an ending of any sorts, and we'll probably never see the conclusion animated.

Also, Code Geass is almost completely unlike this show or that one. Its still good for what it is, but what it is is a hammy giant robot action show.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Code Geass is a big dumb spectacle. Sword Art Online is Gary Stu's adventure in terrible VR MMO's. The first .hack is glacial but pretty, the rest are complete garbage.

What you really want is this manga, adapted from ln's written by the same author as log horizon. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Maoyuu-Maou-Yuusha-Be-mine-Hero-I-refuse
There are other manga adaptations as well for some reason, but this is the only good one. There was also an anime, which was lousy.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Drifter posted:

I'm coming up on finishing this series and I REALLY enjoy it, aside from some of the silly 'I'm a girl therefore my main role in life is to blush and stammer until I pass out' things. I was very surprised with how good I thought this show turned out. Forgive my somewhat disjointed posting below.

I liked a lot the society building and social interaction, and the focus on the strategic and teamwork aspects of the combat and in general, too. It still felt like a solid and well thought out show. I also liked that there wasn't really fanservice (although I could have done without the waste of time scenes between that little assassin girl and the one who tried to dress her up all the time :psyduck:).

I've heard that a show called Spice and Wolf is similar in regards to being less focused on sick spinning sword backflip headslice explosions and more to do with social/economic/diplomatic relationships and whatnot.

I've also seen online recommendations for a thing called Code Geass: Lelouch. Is that similar? However, reading things about Sword Art Online or dotHack that also seem to be getting recommended a lot don't seem to interest me.

Are there other animes shows that are alike in style and...theme(? not setting, necessarily) to Log Horizon? If I enjoyed this show, what are a few others that might be as enjoyable?

If you like the videogame world aspect, you might like a korean webcomic that does a similar thing in reverse, where videogame rules start applying in the real world. There's a thread here.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Drifter posted:

Spice and Wolf is definitely a lot like this. The second season ending was kind of loose, but overall its a great show.

On the other hand Code Geass is nothing like this show. I personally liked it a lot, but it's very polarizing so you aren't going to get a good sense of what it is by asking around. Just watch it if you like the premise.

Sword Art Online isn't bad, and most of it is a lot of fun, but it definitely has issues, especially the second arc. Namely, an incest plot and some rape. Watch until the end of the first arc and pretend that's the whole show. The reason this and .Hack (which I've never watched) are mentioned a lot is because they're the two big "trapped in an MMO" shows.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Blhue posted:

Spice and Wolf is damned great and I recommend it heartily. Be warned, the anime doesn't really have an ending of any sorts, and we'll probably never see the conclusion animated.

Also, Code Geass is almost completely unlike this show or that one. Its still good for what it is, but what it is is a hammy giant robot action show.

Seconding this. Spice & Wolf is probably your best bet if you've already watched LOGH. After you finish the show, you can move on to the novels, which is pretty much more economics and character interactions!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Ah thanks. I'm checking out those comics and I have Spice and Wolf queued up so I'm solid. I'm sad there aren't more things on video that are like this, though. I can't wait for season 2.

Also, the studio really went down some interesting paths, what with actually letting the higher level female characters keep all their clothes and armor on. I gotta give them props for trying something new.

I just finished all 25 episodes and wow. I really liked Log Horizon. Gosh, I am very pleasantly surprised. I just wish there were more like it - doesn't matter the actual setting.

I watched, a while ago, a show called 'C: the Power of Money and Soul' or something like that 'C: the Money of Soul and Possibility Control', and it had an amazing idea behind it but really couldn't form anything cohesively interesting or mechanically complex from that.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 27, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Drifter posted:

Ah thanks. I'm checking out those comics and I have Spice and Wolf queued up so I'm solid. I'm sad there aren't more things on video that are like this, though. I can't wait for season 2.

Also, the studio really went down some interesting paths, what with actually letting the higher level female characters keep all their clothes and armor on. I gotta give them props for trying something new.

I just finished all 25 episodes and wow. I really liked Log Horizon. Gosh, I am very pleasantly surprised. I just wish there were more like it - doesn't matter the actual setting.

I watched, a while ago, a show called 'C: the Power of Money and Soul' or something like that 'C: the Money of Soul and Possibility Control', and it had an amazing idea behind it but really couldn't form anything cohesively interesting or mechanically complex from that.

I suppose if you found the political/economic drama interesting, you could take a crack at Ghost in the Shell. The plot almost always involves some amount of political drama. It's very different overall, however.

You could also try Maoyu. The LN was written by the same guy who wrote Log Horizon. But the show... great story, bad everything else.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ViggyNash posted:

I suppose if you found the political/economic drama interesting, you could take a crack at Ghost in the Shell. The plot almost always involves some amount of political drama. It's very different overall, however.

You could also try Maoyu. The LN was written by the same guy who wrote Log Horizon. But the show... great story, bad everything else.

Yeah, Ghost in the Shell: SAC and it's sequel are really good, but are much more along the lines of serious drama. Spice & Wolf is amazing, has some really well done romance and is well worth watching. Maoyu anime is bad while the manga/LNs are pretty good however you can definitely tell that it was written before Log Horizon, and I'd say that LH is far better overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I think I saw the first season of SAC, which was good fun, yeah.

So Season 2 of LH will only be books 6 & 7? Is that enough, or will there be a shitton of filler in there? The first season had 5 books, ~5 eps a book, right?

I'd love for them to dig in deeper with everything, but so long as it isn't stereotypical Dragonball Z/One Piece half a fight per episode bullshit. Blargh.

• Locked thread