Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Everything Burrito posted:

New chapter for Please Love the Useless Me

I had kinda forgotten what happened in the last chapter, had to go back and re-read the last few pages to remind myself. It got picked up by a new group so hopefully more chapters will be forthcoming.

eeeeeeeeeeee!
:neckbeard:

Er, I mean. Oh, cool. Glad to see another chapter, since it's been since freakin' October.

Edit:
And I hope it someday gets an anime too, LoveCom is great in both formats and I bet this one would be as well.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
eeeeeeeee! I mean, yeah, I was vaguely wondering what had happened to this manga.

I'm also wondering what happened to the manga about the girl who fancies an old train worker.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Hell yes! It's been forever since I've gotten to enjoy Nakahara Aya's goofy facial expressions. I've forgotten how long the chapters are, too.

coathat
May 21, 2007

There's another manga by her getting that just came out recently too. http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/berry-dynamite-r11222

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
I finally picked up Heart of Thomas by Hagio Moto from the library. Wow, Fantagraphics really went all out with the presentation, plus its huge. I highly recommend it. I thought it would only be good in a "this is early influential shojo" sort of way, but I basically couldn't put it down.

There was a really good, lengthy interview with Hagio that was published in A Drunken Dream that touches on Heart of Thomas. I'm pretty sure this is it: http://www.matt-thorn.com/shoujo_manga/hagio_interview.php
And he's a little sequel thing that wasn't in the book: http://www.mangapark.com/manga/Thomas-no-Shinzou/c8/all

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm happy that Please Love the Useless Me is getting released again, and endlessly bummed that Sekitou Elergy got dropped by the group doing it. There's still like 10-15 more volumes left of it, too, gently caress!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There was a new chapter of Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha. as well. It's really grown on me as a series is just about up there with some of my favorites like KnT and Taiyou no Ie.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Inari Konkon has been one of my favorites from the start but despite being relentlessly adorable the story's felt rudderless and subplot-driven for a couple years. I'd recommend it either way but I'm glad it's gotten back on track in the last couple chapters.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

He gave her his meat.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Devil Tesla posted:

He gave her his meat.

This was actually my favorite of the meat-related panels:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I actually started reading Last Game a couple months ago, but thought I should throw it out there since it just got a new chapter and I don't think it's been mentioned around here yet. It's basically about a rich dude who was top of the class till a new transfer girl comes in beating him in everything, leading to a one-sided rivalry till he realizes he's in love with her. It has a pretty nice mix of comedy and heartwarming mostly on the part of the protagonist who tries to be the rival but ends up being her best friend. Anyone else reading it?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
So that's a good one? That's one of those I sort of eye every time I see it pop up on Batoto, but have been skipping it since it sounded kind of generic.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I read the first few chapters of Last Game a long time ago and completely forgot to check back, so thanks for posting about it!

It's pretty good. For one thing, I like the fact that the story takes place when they're in university, which makes it stand out from the usual high-school romances. The actual romance is fluffy and heartwarming (when it happens) but one of the main draws is to see Yannagi spazz out. All the facial expressions and the inner meltdowns are great to witness. Overall I have to second Allarion in that the manga blends heartwarming and comedy in a good way.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I started reading this series called Story of Someone We Know. It's a Josei Manhwa about three women in their mid-twenties. I like the colors, and the characters more or less act like adults.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The first chapter of the Yuri Bear Storm manga is out. http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/yuri-kuma-arashi-r11480

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

coathat posted:

The first chapter of the Yuri Bear Storm manga is out. http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/yuri-kuma-arashi-r11480

I know Utena, but what's Penguindrum? Are the vocab words in that chapter supposed to originate from that?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
So was anyone else watching Golden Time this season? The plot is soapy as all hell but I enjoyed it a lot.

EDIT: nvm I'm an idiot and didn't see the thread

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 28, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Looks like it's time for Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun: Lightning Round.

E:

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 28, 2014

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
Well, Anohana now has the distinction of being the only anime that has ever made me cry.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

AYC posted:

Well, Anohana now has the distinction of being the only anime that has ever made me cry.
Time to watch Grave of the Fireflies.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Paracelsus posted:

Time to watch Grave of the Fireflies.

True...but they evoke different kinds of tears.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

AYC posted:

Yeah I was loving bawling.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Can anyone recommend me some good shoujo series that focus more on the comedy side? I was recently reading Oresama Teacher after looking at the mangaka's other work, but scanlations for that haven't showed up for months.

If there are any suggestions, it'd be great if the series were completed or really long. I read series sporadically so I like having huge backlogs to go through.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Usotsuki Lily
It's really silly but has a great cast of characters. I just finished reading the latest update like 30 seconds ago so it was on my mind but it's really funny. Also long and ongoing.

edit - I knew I read a good description of this somewhere back in the thread:

I Watson posted:

I would recommend Usotsuki Lily, which incidentally DOES include cross-dressing. The main characters pretty much get together right away while their friends go through various transitions. While it can get exceedingly stupid/silly at times, the author acknowledges that it is, when it is, and breaks the fourth wall constantly. For example, a running gag is that even though the seasons and holidays roll by and come around again, the characters are aware and grouse about the fact they have remained in the same grade of high school the entire time.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 1, 2014

coathat
May 21, 2007

It hasn't gotten a new chapter in forever but Ally of Justice is hilarious. http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/ally-of-justice-r1368

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm a fan of Fujoshi Kanojo, which is sadly over and not the longest of mangas but was pretty drat funny. It is a fictionalized version of the author's life with his girlfriend, who is a huge fujoshi.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Lovely complex.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Captain Invictus posted:

Lovely complex.

Beat me to it. I'm pretty sure this thread got me into that particular show and now it's the first one I'll recommend. Best facial expressions ever, and the voice acting is top notch.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Skip Beat is pretty funny until it goes up its own rear end. So... just watch the anime, I guess?

There's also Ouran High School Host Club and Maid-sama. They've got a similar style about them.

Ore Monogatari is probably the funniest, but there's only 7 chapters out now.

Something I don't see talked about much are Warau Kanoko-sama and its sequel Koi dano Ai dano. I guess you don't really need to read the prequel but it's cool too.

Warau Kanoko-sama is about a girl who's a good "observer." She watches people without getting involved (but in the end helps them because she's the protagonist). Her family moves a lot, so every issue is a new middle school, but she still keeps in touch with the friends she makes in the first.

In Koi dano Ai dano she manages to convince her parents to let her live alone to stay in one high school (with her friends) where she gets involved in a political battle between 3 clubs. All the while she's completely oblivious to the fact that her hot guy friend is in love with her.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Koi Dano Ai Dano is pretty lovely and the male lead is bordering on molesting her at least half a dozen times in it. I think it was the page where he pins her to a wall to kiss her and she says "ouch, you're hurting me!" where I was like

It's the self-titled "cynical high school romcom", right? I recall the author saying something related to that that really put me off about the series, too. The series seems to be in status quo hell, too.

edit: have some pretty good stuff with romance and comedy in'em. Not all is shojo but eh, I'm tossing anything relevant I can think of in anyways.

Please Love the Useless Me by the Lovely Complex person. shaping up to be a fantastic series. It's about a gullible, useless woman being taken in by her old boss from the defunct company they worked at, who now runs a diner.

Bonnouji - required reading regardless of what you're looking for in a manga, seriously, there's a reason it's the first series in the OP. Completed series.

Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa - Not really a romance yet(though it's still a new series) but it's a romcom about supernatural beings(a vampire, an alien/frankenstein, a werewolf, satan, etc) who go to this one dork's high school and try to hide their identities. It's really fun, I like it a lot. I also like the shenanigans with how the various weaknesses/abilities of each legendary creature is interpreted into the corresponding high schooler. Vampires get really horrible tans from sunlight, etc.

Sakurasaku Shokogun - I was going to suggest this but then remembered it's been getting kinda heavy lately. It's usually pretty lighthearted though. Artwork's pretty good, about the only thing I'd say is weird is that they are supposedly "middle schoolers". Nobody, boys or girls, look like middle schoolers in this series.

Don't Become an Otaku, Shinozaki! is about a normal girl who is sick the first week of school and misses getting into any cliques, so tries joining the friend group of an otaku girl to try and turn her "normal" and be bestest friends! Things go terribly wrong, of course. Also, she's probably turning into a lesbian by the pure ~uguu~ of her friend. Fanservice exists in this, fair warning.

Yuri Mekuru Hibi - This is Choku! but with lesbians. It's fantastic. Don't expect any sort of plot, it's(as far as I've read) literally all single-page gags, but it's great. Choku is also definitely in that category and is complete.

B Gata H Kei - A 4koma series about a ridiculously beautiful and ridiculously perverted girl who is also a virgin, and who falls for the most whitebread dude in class. A lot of the series is shenanigans with her intensely depraved mind blowing things out of proportion or ruining things, it's honestly a pretty good series and, despite seeming like it's a status quo forever-type series, there is gradual progress! It could stand to be a shorter series, but I'd say after reading it, it was worth it, and I liked the ending a lot. Completed series.

Poor Poor Lips - A lesbian runs a spiritual stone shop. A cripplingly poor girl applies for a job there. Lesbians! A 4koma mostly gag series that is pretty cute and also can be pretty funny. My only complaint is the poor girl looks like she's 10 when she's supposed to be 20. But, anime. Completed series.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 1, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
In Koi Dano Ai Dano, the guy does eventually realize that he is being a creep and cuts back on it. He is still clingy and obsessive, but he stops trying to molest and control her. It is worth reading for that alone- shoujo never loving acknowledges how bad that sort of behavior is. However, the manga is in kind of a dull place right now.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Shinozaki-san is legitimately hella funny. I recommend it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

jackofarcades posted:

Ore Monogatari is probably the funniest, but there's only 7 chapters out now.
Oh man. It's 3am and I had to stop reading it because I kept waking my wife up laughing at Takeo's faces. Really love it. Such a shame there are so few chapters bur at least they're pretty long.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
& update

I love this manga so much. This chapter quietly covers a lot of ground, mostly Kaoru's history and motivations but also has a nice moment with her friend at work. Also that last page! :aaa: I was starting to wonder wtf was happening in the lead-up right before it. Really liked the recurring scenes with the bamboo, showing that she was doing a lot of thinking while working on clearing it out (also it was really pretty). I just hope she's ready to move forward with something now that she's had time to reflect because the indecision and insecurity is relatable but getting a little old at this point. Also I simultaneously feel bad for and am annoyed by Computer Nice Guy and wish he'd step it up a little or at least develop some sort of personality beyond creepily pining after Kaoru. The Dr is an rear end in a top hat but he's at least interesting. Looked like maybe he was about to right there at the end so I'm hoping that goes somewhere next chapter.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

On a complete whim I just burned through this whole thing, having never really read romance stuff and basically clicking this one at random.

It was good.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Taiyou no Ie 41. Some nice family stuff and character development for Mao's dad and Hina, which was what got me into this manga in the first place, as cute as the romance stuff is.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

kidcoelacanth posted:

On a complete whim I just burned through this whole thing, having never really read romance stuff and basically clicking this one at random.

It was good.

Here, have a bunch more recommendations with what I thought of them.

Taiyou no Ie, Kimi ni Todoke, Kuragehime, Boys on the Run, Cheese in the Trap, Koe no Kotachi, and Sand Chronicles are also really good.

This post also contains a bunch of examples of romance series that are more comedic in nature.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Allarion posted:

Taiyou no Ie 41. Some nice family stuff and character development for Mao's dad and Hina, which was what got me into this manga in the first place, as cute as the romance stuff is.
I think it's that way for most people. I wouldn't say the romance is bad but the main allure has always been the family drama.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's the whole bundle for me, personally. It wouldn't work nearly as well if they weren't all interspersed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
On the other hand I do rather like the romance in (new chapter) Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha. despite one of the participants being kind of the typical rear end in a top hat male love interest shoujo archetype.