Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

But then as the approximation gets more accurate all the dates for everything will change, it would be cool if we could define it based on some kind of universal constants like the speed of light :spergin:

Nah just declare a national war on approximation and then stick to your position no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

texaholic posted:

not really political but interesting with the current search in in the southern Indian Ocean.

I'm guessing this is a map that shows the distance of any given point of Earth from the nearest coastline? Is it in miles or kilometers?

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
calendar reform you say

Anyway, as a Washington resident I am highly qualified to talk about nuclear waste.

Yes, that's right folks. Back during the Manhattan project they didn't actually make most of the plutonium they killed everyone with in that desert. Not the New Mexican desert, anyway.

Here in arid Middle Of Nowhere, Washington, we got our own incredibly massive Superfund site filled with unshielded nuclear waste from the 40s and 50s. Site W, as it was known (Los Alamos being Site Y. Dunno about other letters), was the home of the B Reactor, first production grade plutonium maker in the world. Kinda cool! Just wish it didn't come with the environmental devastation. I mean, I guess it's better than the first artificial reactor out there in the middle of Chicago, and made of wood.

And the kicking out the people who'd lived in a small town there. After the war they shot it up for SWAT training.

Did I mention the waste? Lots of waste. Apparently after cooling the reactors with water from the Columbia they let it sit in a tank for a few hours to get the radiation out (this didn't work) and then put it back in the river.

Superfund sites. You can see all four of Hanford's. Yeah baby. ("Red indicates currently on final National Priority List, yellow is proposed, green is deleted (usually meaning having been cleaned up).")

Syritta fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 21, 2014

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

texaholic posted:

not really political but interesting with the current search in in the southern Indian Ocean.

Distance from coast, I guess?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Count Roland posted:

Distance from coast, I guess?

I think so. The dots must represent the furthest-from points for various landmasses, with the blue one being the point in the ocean furthest from any land.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, it's a map of Poles of Inaccessibility.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Would the eleventh of september be the start of the new year under this system? Also 11/9/911 A911 is going to be off the loving chain.

A solemn day of remembrance. We could also use the Chinese calendar*. 4712, man. It's like Fahrenheit in that for practical discussions we'd pretty much never have to use negative dates.

*Note to self: Having "Chinese Date" in my search history may get me in trouble with my wife.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DrSunshine posted:

"Th-this place wasn't designed to keep people out... it was designed to keep something in!!" :byodood:

How to Memorize China's Major Dynasties

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Koramei posted:

I mean, it does, but completely by chance it also happens to be one of the best places.

edit: on reflection the non-distorted Pacific is actually pretty cool
I've always loved this world map because it shows off how impressive/huge the Pacific actually is.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Redeye Flight posted:

I think so. The dots must represent the furthest-from points for various landmasses, with the blue one being the point in the ocean furthest from any land.

So that's why Neil Gaiman used those coordinates for R'lyeh.
http://www.neilgaiman.com/p/Cool_Stuff/Short_Stories/I_Cthulhu

Kennel fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 21, 2014

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Politically-loaded song. Yuan is a Mongolian dynasty, not a Chinese one. And Qing is a Manchurian dynasty. Neither should be included in a song of Chinese dynasties. :can:

edit: Let's add a bunch of cool maps:
http://www.vanshnookenraggen.com/_index/2010/01/the-futurenycsubway-introduction/

Some subway-nerd's well-researched proposal for an expanded NYC subway system.

Inu fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 22, 2014

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Inu posted:

Politically-loaded song. Yuan is a Mongolian dynasty, not a Chinese one. And Qing is a Manchurian dynasty. Neither should be included in a song of Chinese dynasties.

Uhh... no. I don't know where you get the idea that those things are mutually exclusive but they are not. They got the Mandate of Heaven just like all the other dynasties and they ruled china using more or less the same Chinese system that the other dynasties did. They were Chinese dynasties. They just weren't Han-led dynasties.

EDIT maybe this was just a joke, but I'm going to leave this post here anyways.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

China historically expanded by being conquered by outsiders :v:

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

Ofaloaf posted:

Mississippi, a place having less fun with beer than Utah.

We legalized craft brewing in 2011, before that we had but one brewery, now we have 5. We're catching up but we're still behind everyone in every concievable way.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Disco Infiva posted:

China historically expanded by being conquered by outsiders :v:

That's not so weird. One could argue Alexander the Great wasn't really Greek, either.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Only Greeks were allowed at the Olympics.
Macedonians were allowed at the Olympics.

Therefore Alexander the Great was Greek.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Was there even a greece when Alexander was around?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Boiled Water posted:

Did you think that Alexander made everyone speak Greek as some kind of colossal joke?

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

Ancient Greece was a zionist conspiracy

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Alexander the Great is considered Great because he invented Greece.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

the jizz taxi posted:

That's not so weird. One could argue Alexander the Great wasn't really Greek, either.

It's been a long time since I've sat in a history class but as far as I remember we were always taught he was Macedonian, not Greek.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's been a long time since I've sat in a history class but as far as I remember we were always taught he was Macedonian, not Greek.

e: I don't mean we were taught "he wasn't Greek", just "he was Macedonian".

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Ancient Macedonia is mostly within modern Greece's borders, but the ancient Greeks very much viewed the ancient Macedonians as non-Greek.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013
It is almost as if modern notions of nationality had no meaning in the Classical era.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Antwan3K posted:

It is almost as if modern notions of nationality had no meaning in the Classical era.

Or any time up to and including the 19th century for a lot of the world.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Boiled Water posted:

There was a series of city states and alliances, which Alexander's father, Phillip II, forced into an uneasy league with the goal of invading Persia (although Sparta was a notable non-member). I believe this unification then collapsed upon Alexander's death, and the unification of Greece wouldn't happen for real until the Romans subdued the lot of them.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

PittTheElder posted:

There was a series of city states and alliances, which Alexander's father, Phillip II, forced into an uneasy league with the goal of invading Persia (although Sparta was a notable non-member). I believe this unification then collapsed upon Alexander's death, and the unification of Greece wouldn't happen for real until the Romans subdued the lot of them.

There was the time that Athens dominated most of the Greek city states, after repeated Persian incursions forced them to form a defensive league. But that was a few centuries before Alexander was born.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Did all the ancient Greek city states speak a mutually intelligible language? Did the Macedonians speak the same mutually intelligible language?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Bloodnose posted:

Did all the ancient Greek city states speak a mutually intelligible language?

Yes.

quote:

Did the Macedonians speak the same mutually intelligible language?

The linguistic situation of Ancient Macedonia isn't clear, but it's thought that Greek was widely known there, since there's no writings from there in any other language. The Macedonian language was either closely related to Greek or a Greek dialect.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Bloodnose posted:

Did all the ancient Greek city states speak a mutually intelligible language? Did the Macedonians speak the same mutually intelligible language?

It's complicated. The predominant variety of the time was Attic Greek, which was spoken in Athens as the centre of the Hellenistic and had been adopted as the official language of Macedonia by Alexander's father. On the other hand, there was still a large variety of Ancient Greek dialects, some of which were virtually unintelligible to each other; most of the non-noble population probably continued to speak in their dialects. Ancient Macedonian was either a dialect of Greek or a language closely related to it; we know little of it because of the aforementioned imposition of Attic in the Macedonian public sphere. All Greek dialects eventually were superseded by Koiné Greek, which is a predominantly Attic-influenced common standard which developed in the decades after Alexander (his unification of the Hellenistic world under an Attic standard played a large role there).

There still exist some remnants of Ancient Greek dialects other than Attic or Koiné, respectively, by the way: Tsakonian (which is spoken by about 200 people in the middle of nowhere in the Peloponnese and constitutes a direct descendant of the language of ancient Sparta) and Griko (a variety of Greek spoken in about 15 villages throughout southern Italy which to a large extent conserved its Doric heritage from the age of Greek colonisation 2700 years ago up to today).

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Bloodnose posted:

The Greek language was mutually intelligible but was split into three major dialects: Doric, Aeolian, and Ionian. Macedonian may have been closely related to the Doric dialect. During the Hellenistic Age Koine Greek, primarily based off the Attic minor dialect but blending other dialects as well, slowly edged out the other dialects to become a lingua franca.

analogy6
Jul 1, 2004

OBAMAILURE

a map of the landslide up in snohomish county yesterday. an interesting map to better understand the enormous amount of earth involved. political? why do people build on unstable land or on flood plains? beats me.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
People don't really pick where to build stuff for the most part. There's 7 billion of us on the planet we have to basically build stuff everywhere that won't instantly kill us.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
A friend of mine from Washington told me a great story.

Up on Puget Sound, there's a sandstone hill on the shoreline. The sound is constantly undermining the hill, which has a rich neighborhood on top. Every few years, another chunk of it will break off and another house or two will slide into the sound, along with some trees, etc.

This hasn't driven the whole neighborhood off the hill--it's actually made the hill more desirable every year. The view from the top gets better all the time without those pesky extra houses and trees in the way!

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

analogy6 posted:

a map of the landslide up in snohomish county yesterday. an interesting map to better understand the enormous amount of earth involved. political? why do people build on unstable land or on flood plains? beats me.

Because they can get away with it. The people building are not the people who will eventually own the property, so they can sell it off. The people willing to buy are either ignorant, are willing to insure against the risk, or believe that the government will bail them out. If land is in a prime location people will want to develop on it regardless of the risks. This has major ramifications with climate change, sooner or later a natural disaster will wipe out a major populated area and the government will have to put their foot down and refuse to allow rebuilding due to the unacceptable risk of it being wiped out again.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

WBC is the World Baseball Classic, baseball's World Cup.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Konstantin posted:

If land is in a prime location people will want to develop on it regardless of the risks.

I was at a talk a while back given by an engineer who worked on a lot of residential landslide cases, and he said that when you told the people living next door to an active slide that they had 20 years max before their house went down the hill as well, the most common response is "But look at the view!"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Peanut President posted:

WBC is the World Baseball Classic, baseball's World Cup.

I went to a WBC game a few years ago in Dodger Stadium and it was a lot of fun. I got to see a Venezuelan AAAA pitcher get shellacked by Korea. It's too bad that it can't really become a real thing because of MLB but without olympic baseball there might be room for a proper international amateur contest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Dusseldorf posted:

I went to a WBC game a few years ago in Dodger Stadium and it was a lot of fun. I got to see a Venezuelan AAAA pitcher get shellacked by Korea. It's too bad that it can't really become a real thing because of MLB but without olympic baseball there might be room for a proper international amateur contest.

If the WBC didn't use pro players, you'd have the same problem that olympic baseball had: most nations outside of the Americas and East Asia could barely field a team. The WBC is already pretty hilarious in that just about every European team relies on American players with Italian or Spanish heritage. The Israeli team is just made up of American jews.

Emanuel Collective fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 24, 2014