Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

With normal wheels and non-painted hood it would be a factory optima, which is a very good looking car by appliance standards (camry, accord etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
ToyotaNation.com forums have some amazing car photo threads. Check out the Camry, Corolla, and Matrix subforums.

Not surprisingly the older the models the more ridiculous is becomes.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...minimum-48.html

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I went looking for info on some Cavalier boards once. All Lambo doors, all the time. Almost no info about the code my CEL was spitting out.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Science has proven that the more a car resembles a toxic rainforest-dwelling insect the better it is.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

davebo posted:

I signed up for Optimaforums when I got mine in 2012 for some general info. I still get an email once a month featuring their "ride of the month". I just got this:

I kinda like it.

Fattig
Oct 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME_HYvcaEDo

It's the Jezza so I guess it is related.

Edit: To AI that is.

Fattig fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 21, 2014

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Das Volk posted:

There really is a forum for every make and model, isn't there? And of course people in those forums that rice the poo poo out of their cars.

a-body.net has a very good signal-to-noise ratio. They even expanded in the last year or so to include U platform vans and X platform cars (Citation et al). Not too much ricing, except for the guy we ran off a few years ago asking us the best way to notch the subframe so he could fit 22s and still turn.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

There was also a massive stick-on scoop on the hood

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Saw this today and thought of you guys

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

freelop posted:

Why do you hate us? :(

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Do vanity plates count?

Not because of the idea of a vanity plate or anything, but I can't figure out if it is supposed to be "Die Happy" or "Die Hippy". Somewhat polar opposites that you would want to be clear about.

freelop posted:

I swear PT Cruisers attract bad plastic chrome like Fieros attract bad conversion body kits.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

I... I can't stop browsing the thread :ohdear:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Downforce!

:science:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Shifty Pony posted:

Do vanity plates count?

Not because of the idea of a vanity plate or anything, but I can't figure out if it is supposed to be "Die Happy" or "Die Hippy". Somewhat polar opposites that you would want to be clear about.

Maybe dead hippies make him happy but dead hipsters are probably the new dead hippy so I would go with die happy by owing GMAC $60k on a new vette when you die.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Clearly that's just a limousine TV antenna.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

That looks more like it would develop lift.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Downsforce

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Cage posted:

Clearly that's just a limousine TV antenna.

For a split second I thought there was a Brak sticker on the gas door.

Also, I see why it was mounted that way (antenna is in the way)

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT
Here, have this thing. The picture through the window didn't come out, but it had a CB on the console not attached to anything, plus another one on the floor buried in a huge pile of garbage. Also, yes, that is an intake... thing built out of chimney pipe. No idea what the birdshit welded bracket on the driver side is for, maybe another antenna?

Images hosted on my private image host.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

PainterofCrap posted:

Please tell me that those are not repurposed plastic flower pots.

Nah, don't be ridiculous. Those are plastic kiddie sand buckets.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I saw a PT painted with Captain America images on both sides and the rear but I was too slow to get a picture as the light was so long that I lost them and it ruined my whole day.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That reminds me of the black Scion xB near the folks with a silver mural of Spider-Man swinging over the Chicago skyline on both sides. I actually like that one, though. I mean, it's gaudy, but the black and silver look good together.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

A good write up of what the gently caress you're looking at. I am just learning how to work under the hood, so I was just as confused as the author as a child.

That is the most apologist article I've read in a long time. Listening to how he describes the most rear end-backwards engineering decisions as "advanced for it's time" is just comical.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

quote:

Unusually the ECU is mounted in the boot....The HE system also has a vacuum hose from the intake manifold going all the way back to the ECU

what the gently caress.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Today I learned that canister/skidplate oil filters are "Labor Intensive" when I went to try out a different carwash that also does oil changes.

:allears:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

A skid plate is likely to rain mud/grime down on a tech while (s)he wails on the rusty stuck bolts with an airgun. A canister oil filter, that's just laziness.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nitrogen posted:

Today I learned that canister/skidplate oil filters are "Labor Intensive" when I went to try out a different carwash that also does oil changes.

Someone has never had to lift a H1 skidplate, some of the ones on Toyotas, or the joy that is a bunch of torx fasteners on a VW.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

The joy that is a bunch of torx fasteners on a VW.

I've done enough of those to think charging a motherfucker more than the "19.99" advertised is perfectly rational.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Those and the Mazda 3 undertrays, which have an access hole for the filter canister... that doesn't actually give you access to the canister because it's like 3 inches offset from the hole.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

BlackMK4 posted:

Someone has never had to lift a H1 skidplate, some of the ones on Toyotas, or the joy that is a bunch of torx fasteners on a VW.

Back when I had a Toyota truck and got twenty dollar Jiffy Lube oil changes I think they mentioned it was quicker to take a holesaw to the plate than it was to get it off and back on

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Crustashio posted:

what the gently caress.

Oh yeah. ECU, all the fuses, a vacuum line, and the fuel tank, all stuffed into the trunk.

Fuel tank is under the parcel shelf, holds something like 18 gallons, and the fuel pump only fails when it is full.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 23, 2014

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I just did the most terrible car thing. Helped my girlfriend buy a new Corolla. One hundred thirty-eight horsepower of cvt yawn on wheels.

Edit: vv oh yeah it's fine for her. She was completely indifferent about what car she got, aside from thinking Toyota's are reliable so if you get one you'll never have a problem. It's just the most bland gutless car I've been in, and it felt wrong putting a downpayment on it that probably could have bought a more inspired used car. Although at least bluetooth comes standard now.

davebo fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 23, 2014

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Its probably a perfectly fine car for her. :confused:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

As someone who works for Toyota, thanks, and sorry.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Cakefool posted:

As someone who works for Toyota, thanks, and sorry.

I am not good with MS Paint

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

nitrogen posted:

This is hilarious. Also gently caress having to buy a 30 dollar oil filter cup just to take off the new Toyota cartridge filters.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

davebo posted:

I just did the most terrible car thing. Helped my girlfriend buy a new Corolla. One hundred thirty-eight horsepower of cvt yawn on wheels.

Edit: vv oh yeah it's fine for her. She was completely indifferent about what car she got, aside from thinking Toyota's are reliable so if you get one you'll never have a problem. It's just the most bland gutless car I've been in, and it felt wrong putting a downpayment on it that probably could have bought a more inspired used car. Although at least bluetooth comes standard now.

Hahahahaa the corolla comes with a CVT there? Sweet god.

Preoptopus posted:

This is hilarious. Also gently caress having to buy a 30 dollar oil filter cup just to take off the new Toyota cartridge filters.

Bonus points: if they're the alloy type (there is a plastic and alloy type, both shaped the same) they're sometimes so tight that they just obliterate the spotwelds on aftermarket filter cups. I eventually sucked it up and spent $60 on a genuine Toyota one that has never gone wrong.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Back when I had a Toyota truck and got twenty dollar Jiffy Lube oil changes I think they mentioned it was quicker to take a holesaw to the plate than it was to get it off and back on

I don't know how many times you've put your wrist/arm through a just-cut hole in sheetmetal (and then tried to muscle off a tightened oil filter) but this sounds like a recipe for some serious bloodletting right here.

It's making me cringe just thinking about it. Jesus, I wouldn't put my arm through there for a thousand dollars.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

I don't know how many times you've put your wrist/arm through a just-cut hole in sheetmetal (and then tried to muscle off a tightened oil filter) but this sounds like a recipe for some serious bloodletting right here.

It's making me cringe just thinking about it. Jesus, I wouldn't put my arm through there for a thousand dollars.

Though it's fine if you've got the filter wrench and a long enough extension.

Slavvy posted:

Bonus points: if they're the alloy type (there is a plastic and alloy type, both shaped the same) they're sometimes so tight that they just obliterate the spotwelds on aftermarket filter cups. I eventually sucked it up and spent $60 on a genuine Toyota one that has never gone wrong.

At my old shop we got chewed out multiple times for losing that loving tool since nothing else would get the filter off; turns out it was one dude leaving the tool on the cartridge when he was done. There were multiple occasions I'd lift a Prius up and find our tool stuck on there (this was after one of our upper techs bought his own set).

All the other brands you can stick a normal filter wrench, or even the plier type in a pinch, but Toyota are special little snowflakes like that. I also love how you can't just remove a plug to drain the cartridge, you have to use the lovely little drain tool that comes with the new filter:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Fucknag posted:

Those and the Mazda 3 undertrays, which have an access hole for the filter canister... that doesn't actually give you access to the canister because it's like 3 inches offset from the hole.

The explanation for that is the hole is something for manufacturing, not an access hole.......:doh: I dunno. It would have been perfect if it was in the right place, though.