Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Just watched the Foley documentary on the Network, and I have a quick question - I wasn't watching at the time, what was he like on commentary when he had that run on Smackdown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Awful. It seemed like he was trying way too hard to be funny, and he'd only stop long enough to make fun of whatever was happening in the ring.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I kept hearing mention of the name Art Donovan in some of the podcasts I listen to and decided to track down what it was in reference to. I then came upon across 1994's King of the Ring.

Wow. :wtc:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ghostpilot posted:

I kept hearing mention of the name Art Donovan in some of the podcasts I listen to and decided to track down what it was in reference to. I then came upon across 1994's King of the Ring.

And the eternal question will go on forever, passed down from time immemorial.

"How much does this guy weigh?"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

And the eternal question will go on forever, passed down from time immemorial.

"How much does this guy weigh?"

If I ever visit Donovan's grave, I will be disappointed if that quote is not carved on his tombstone.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Which match was it when Daniel Bryan was the one who finally beat the Shield in a six man tag?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Spikeguy posted:

Which match was it when Daniel Bryan was the one who finally beat the Shield in a six man tag?

Payback 2013 I believe. Errr it may have been a random Smackdown now that I think about it.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 23, 2014

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Spikeguy posted:

SmackDown 6/14/13.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

I thought the Shield's first 6 man tag loss was to Christian and The Usos. Which kind of made a little bit of sense, as they were heading for a Dean/Christian feud and wanted the belts on the Usos for a while now, but in hindsight is kind of a :psyduck: moment

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Batista posted:

Payback 2013 I believe. Errr it may have been a random Smackdown now that I think about it.

Payback was Bryan/Orton against Rollins/Reigns for the tag belts.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I thought the Shield's first 6 man tag loss was to Christian and The Usos. Which kind of made a little bit of sense, as they were heading for a Dean/Christian feud and wanted the belts on the Usos for a while now, but in hindsight is kind of a :psyduck: moment

No, that was two weeks later. They lost to Bryan, Kane, and Orton on SmackDown when Bryan tapped out Rollins.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

What is Dean's finishing move? I don't think I've ever seen him do it or it be pointed out.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Shield's first 6 man loss is on the network, SD 6/13/13:

http://network.wwe.com/video/v31334627

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Spikeguy posted:

What is Dean's finishing move? I don't think I've ever seen him do it or it be pointed out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0UCwCCjXkQ

The Headlock Driver. It's like a backwards DDT.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Ghostpilot posted:

All three men on that announce desk are dead.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ghostpilot posted:

The last time I watched that show I had just read League of Denial and it made me kind of sad to hear Art.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

The last time I watched that show I had just read League of Denial and it made me kind of sad to hear Art.

Is that about head injuries?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is that about head injuries?

Yeah.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

spongeh posted:

Shield's first 6 man loss is on the network, SD 6/13/13:

http://network.wwe.com/video/v31334627

I just noticed the woman that's super excited about Dean Ambrose as he hops over the barrier. She has a great :haw: face.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Watching a fat bleach-blonde Brian Lawler come down the ramp to his old music and doing the entire Grandmaster Sexay routine to no crowd reaction was hilarious/pathetic.

Not only that but he was completely out of breath for the ensuing promo. He was so out of shape his entrance gassed him.

MassRafTer posted:

Edge is a big dude, but in WWE he never got to really look like a big bully so it had to be fun for him to wrestle Rey and basically be a giant. I remember HBK looking thrilled in the ring when he got to be the big man for a change against Rey.

Edge was deceptively big, so much so that in his Wrestlemania match against Undertaker, they actually booked him as a guy who was on equal footing with Taker in terms of size. I remember that being surprisingly equally matched despite always considering Edge a "small guy". I think it's just because he's so goddamn lanky that it made him look smaller.

I don't know what Jack Swagger's excuse is. Dude's huge but I always forget just how huge.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Edge's offence also belies his size, because he doesn't wrestle like a power wrestler, he wrestles like a mid sized WWE main eventer who works WWE style.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It was kind of funny, but in one of Swagger's recent backstage things he was next to Renee and looked positively huge. Then Cesaro came in, he still looked bigger than him. Then the camera panned and they looked about even heightwise. I think they're just filming him like crap.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Did anyone know Hornswoggle is in the Muppet movie?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

sticklefifer posted:

Not only that but he was completely out of breath for the ensuing promo. He was so out of shape his entrance gassed him.

I can think of someone else with the same problem, except that he can't use being fat as an excuse like GMS can.

Gar
May 13, 2005
I got the Playstation but I still play the Sega

epitasis posted:

Did anyone know Hornswoggle is in the Muppet movie?

There was a screenshot in the Pictures thread a few months ago.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

He has more lines than fellow Irish celebrity Saoirse Ronan!

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Shima Honnou posted:

I can think of someone else with the same problem, except that he can't use being fat as an excuse like GMS can.

I'm pretty sure Batista's asthmatic.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

This is going way back, but does anybody recall what people were saying leading up to Hogan's heel turn? Was it expected? In hindsight it looks like all the clues were there but that's easy to say now.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hogan turning was such a tightly-kept secret that they didn't even let the announce team know it was happening, so I would be surprised if there was much talk about it being Hogan beforehand.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

How much pull did Hogan have in WCW with booking when he was a face before the nWo?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Luigi Thirty posted:

How much pull did Hogan have in WCW with booking when he was a face before the nWo?

He had total control of all his angles from the time he signed with WCW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Sullivan was made booker because he would book to please Hogan, that's how much pull he had.

The Hogan turn wasn't a total secret but they did a very good job keeping it a mystery. He was one of the names rumored, but they had enough other plausible names that it wasn't widely reported.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It probably helped to throw people off that they had other people prepared to turn if Hogan backed out at the last second, since there was a very real possibility he might do that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Defiance Industries posted:

It probably helped to throw people off that they had other people prepared to turn if Hogan backed out at the last second, since there was a very real possibility he might do that.

Hogan says that now but since he says Sting was set up to turn if he backed out last second it's hard to believe him. Sting was one of the guys out there, so he could not have been in that spot. Luger was sent backstage in an injury angle so he could have plausibly been one, but I doubt there was any actual fear Hogan would back out. It's just one of the things Hogan says these days to get attention, like how he says he tried to get WWE to bring in Sting to replace him in 1988.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Defiance Industries posted:

Hogan turning was such a tightly-kept secret that they didn't even let the announce team know it was happening, so I would be surprised if there was much talk about it being Hogan beforehand.

The Brain knew! You can never trust Hogan!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Yeah Heenan was dropping it pretty thick for Tony to go "what no, he's Hulk Hogan, what are you mean whose side is he on?" to.

Have scientists determined why Scott Steiner loses the ability to speak with a microphone in his hand? They could do genetic tests on him like Ozzy Osbourne.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 24, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I checked the Observer for that night and I guess Sting was the other option, but it seems like that wasn't a worry that night because Bischoff didn't get to the building before the main event started. Hogan made his decision 11 days prior, but there was worry he'd pull out until the day of. They were told not to worry about the third man during a meeting that afternoon, so it seems like Hogan was 100% on board the day of. Supposedly Nash and Hall weren't told until that night, although Meltzer doubted that.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Wasn't Bret Hart a possibility when they first came up with the angle? His contract was up and he was made a very nice offer, I think.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah Heenan was dropping it pretty thick for Tony to go "what no, he's Hulk Hogan, what are you mean whose side is he on?" to.

Have scientists determined why Scott Steiner loses the ability to speak with a microphone in his hand? They could do genetic tests on him like Ozzy Osbourne.

He changes his voice fairly significantly when he does promos. Maybe he's focusing too hard on grunting out his steroid-fueled old lady voice instead of what he's actually saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wasn't Bret Hart a possibility when they first came up with the angle? His contract was up and he was made a very nice offer, I think.

One of the rumors I heard was that it was Davey Boy Smith who had a contract about to expire around that time and was considered for the NWO.