Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

This big show mania humiliation montage is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Blasmeister posted:

This big show mania humiliation montage is great.

I had totally forgot about this match. I'm just glad Cody is wearing knee pads here.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

I hate the whole "end of an era" tag line for this match. End of what? Attitude era was over for a long time. And it's not like this was HHH's last match.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, the whole thing was booked like another Streak vs Career match, except they never actually said that. It would have meant a hell of a lot more if it was.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, the whole thing was booked like another Streak vs Career match, except they never actually said that. It would have meant a hell of a lot more if it was.

Yea, Triple H has had a couple of those you think this is his last match, they try to get the "thank you" reaction, and it never pays off.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rock/Cena was such a boring series. Just bog-standard everything.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Rock/Cena was such a boring series. Just bog-standard everything.

Their first match was pretty good, was surprised when Rock won it (and drat did he prove he still had it with promo/ring skills) and we haven't seen a literal year-long build since probably Sting/Hogan '97.

The rematch is what soured the whole thing with "Once in a Lifetime" being a total lie and WWE just plain-as-day having Cena regain his win and for the title no less.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

The whole once in a life time would have meant a lot more if they actually kept to that.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Vintimus Prime posted:

The whole once in a life time would have meant a lot more if they actually kept to that.

Yeah, when Rock won the title and Cena the Rumble in the same night I felt my expectation for WM29 just evaporate (it wasn't a bad show, but when you don't care for the main event that's something you don't forget).

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Justin Godscock posted:

Their first match was pretty good, was surprised when Rock won it (and drat did he prove he still had it with promo/ring skills) and we haven't seen a literal year-long build since probably Sting/Hogan '97.

The rematch is what soured the whole thing with "Once in a Lifetime" being a total lie and WWE just plain-as-day having Cena regain his win and for the title no less.

Rock legit got injured during the second match right?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Vintimus Prime posted:

Rock legit got injured during the second match right?

That or went into it. In fact in Taker/Punk, Hunter/Lesnar AND Cena/Rock, someone in each match either went in injured, or was injured.

which actually killed Rock/Lesnar for this year.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Triple H got injured during his Lesnar match because the dry ice used in his entrance got onto his skin and caused some minor burns, don't know about any other injuries.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

I thought it would have been way better if you don't immediately rebook those two, have it be the great demon in his career, get it referenced and then try to book the rematch for 30, 31, etc. Have Cena actually chase the Rock or something

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Justin Godscock posted:

Triple H got injured during his Lesnar match because the dry ice used in his entrance got onto his skin and caused some minor burns, don't know about any other injuries.

Brock was concussed for most of that match after a bump on the ring steps

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Justin Godscock posted:

They didn't put any work into making it anything but "both of us work a phony 1985 Hulk Hogan match." There's not a single creative spot in this entire match and a couple of dumb ones (a loving bearhug--let Brock Lesnar do a bearhug and maybe put a different move on a guy who is bigger than you.).

The crowd is totally into it, which is good, but in terms of workrate it's just dull. Part of it is that they're just working the same. Exact. Style.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Justin Godscock posted:

Punk got injured I believe with the elbow, and Rock got injured either back in Rumble or in the match with Cena. Bryan and Vinny review of 29 they go over that all 3 matches had someone get injured or be injured.

Vintimus Prime posted:

I thought it would have been way better if you don't immediately rebook those two, have it be the great demon in his career, get it referenced and then try to book the rematch for 30, 31, etc. Have Cena actually chase the Rock or something

See but you don't know if you'll have Rocky for 30,31 etc. You don't know what his scheduled will be like in years, and most importantly, that's 600+ days of your top draw essentially not being able to be in any storyline without the guy who's never on the show overlooking it.

600 days, 104 Raws. And ontop of that he'd been pushing for a Rock match for YEARS. This had all the build up it needed.

I'm upset they booked it as "Once in a Lifetime" because they knew going into it that it was a 3-mania build. Host 27, win at 28, Lose at 29.

I mean I guess that they knew if they didn't book it like that, people wouldn't buy Rock winning, cause the entire idea was to build it so people thought Cena could not possibly lose, and then have him lose so as to get the biggest reaction. But still they knew they were having a Three-Mania Build, I think if anything that wound up hurting 29's buys

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The list of lovely options is a trick you use on clients to get your way. Nobody ever thought Chilly McFreeze or Lloyd Boner were good names. They put them on a list with two good options to ensure that the one picked was one they liked.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

i'm watching the Raw with Steph and Test's wedding and drat everybody in DX wore stupid hats

The episode opens with Big Show and Kane vs. Viscera and Big Boss Man. 30 seconds after the bell Big Boss Man starts hitting Big Show with a nightstick and X-Pac runs in with a chair to lay out Kane and performs the worst x-factor in history. The match ends in a minute and then X-Pac lays out Tori.

jamcadbury
Nov 12, 2004
South Side Mexican
Bryan vs. Sheamus WM 28 match on now, Bryan going for the good luck kiss, no Daniel no :(

e: and it's over :v:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

jamcadbury posted:

Bryan vs. Sheamus WM 28 match on now, Bryan going for the good luck kiss, no Daniel no :(

e: and it's over :v:

This was the start of the bury

Never noticed the bullshit chant before during this promo though

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

oatgan posted:

i'm watching the Raw with Steph and Test's wedding and drat everybody in DX wore stupid hats

The episode opens with Big Show and Kane vs. Viscera and Big Boss Man. 30 seconds after the bell Big Boss Man starts hitting Big Show with a nightstick and X-Pac runs in with a chair to lay out Kane and performs the worst x-factor in history. The match ends in a minute and then X-Pac lays out Tori.

I cry with laughter during the Test/Steph wedding and subsequent video. When all the old RAWs and Nitros go up I don't know what I'll do.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

The list of lovely options is a trick you use on clients to get your way. Nobody ever thought Chilly McFreeze or Lloyd Boner were good names. They put them on a list with two good options to ensure that the one picked was one they liked.

So the good alternative here is Ice Dagger? Or was it Otto Von Ruthless?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TheJoker138 posted:

So the good alternative here is Ice Dagger? Or was it Otto Von Ruthless?
I never saw the list, nor did anybody but Austin and the people who wrote it. There was probably something like "The Renegade Redneck" on there that they thought was good, but still wasn't nearly as good as Stone Cold.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Just tuned in to find Bill Mercer rocking the daring beard, no moustache.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Just turned on the live feed for the first time in a week or so, and I was shocked to see Bash at the Beach 94. Have they actually been showing WCW stuff, or did I just catch it at the perfect time?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Man, Heenan looked completely disgusted. In hindsight I can't blame him.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Just tuned in to find Bill Mercer rocking the daring beard, no moustache.

Four score and seven years ago, our forefather (Fritz) brought forth on this continent a new promotion, conceived in Texas, and dedicated to the proposition that all his sons should be pushed beyond the boundaries of sanity.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Ohh, Lex Luger as WWF CHampion.

Wait, Lex Luger as WWF Champion. :gonk:

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

So, was it common to spend 20 minutes after the end of the last match, following around the champion? It seemed weird that Hogan won and they followed him to the back, interviewed him, etc.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Yokozuna taking a break to eat a big bowl of rice.

Old wrestling was hilariously racist.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

This was Lex's Face turn, right?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, and it came out of goddamn nowhere. He was the Narcissist, then he disappeared for a bit, and there he is in his helicopter.

Actually, I'm not even sure if he disappeared. He was Narcissist at King of the Ring in June, and then July, that.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Acrolos posted:

Yokozuna taking a break to eat a big bowl of rice.

Old wrestling was hilariously racist.

Eating big bowls of rice is something Sumo do.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
These guys like Kid.

EDIT: Men On A Mission rap promo, Network subscription justified.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 24, 2014

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Holy poo poo, Men On A Mission! :neckbeard:

all American wrestling and WWF Mania were basically jobber shows, right?

Edit: that's the fake undertaker, right? The real one had purple gloves and boots.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 24, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Undertaker's come a long way from that 30 foot walk to the ring :allears:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Even in the early 90s that gong chills me.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Even 'Taker can't no-sell a Samoan headbutt!

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"
I can't believe they gave away a match like Crush vs. Yokozuna away for free on Raw back then!

Acrolos posted:

Just turned on the live feed for the first time in a week or so, and I was shocked to see Bash at the Beach 94. Have they actually been showing WCW stuff, or did I just catch it at the perfect time?

I want to say that Bash '94 is the first WCW pay-per-view they've had on the live feed. Today they're going to air Bash at the Beach '95 before the Raw preshow, though!

sunsweet fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

BigRed0427 posted:

Holy poo poo, Men On A Mission! :neckbeard:

all American wrestling and WWF Mania were basically jobber shows, right?

WWF Mania was a recap show similar to what Experience/Afterburn/This Week are now.

• Locked thread