Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

You might also want to factor in maintenance fee's and initial registration for the IP blocks ( You're going dual stack riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight?) and ASN. https://www.arin.net/fees/fee_schedule.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

the spyder posted:

I ran a speed test on the 1GB's link they let me borrow- solid 920/980Mbps on my laptop. I can dream, right? :)

What did you use to run that speed test?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Why not:

1GB burst (100MB normal) Internet Carrier 2 $600/m + $15 copper fee
Dark fiber to office $unknown- checking on (In reality though if you just go to the carrier and ask them to serve your address they should just figure this out for you and charge you a local loop)

Then skip everything else. Make sure you understand how 95th percentile billing works as well.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Curious if anyone knows how the backplane of a 7600 identifies itsself as such vs a 6500? (Yes, I would like to flash a chip in to a 6500 to identify as 7600 so I can run SR.. vs SX..)

code:
6500#show idprom backplane 
IDPROM for backplane #0
  (FRU is 'Catalyst 6500 9-slot backplane')
  OEM String = 'Cisco Systems'
  Product Number = 'WS-C6509'
  Serial Number = 'xxxxxx'
  Manufacturing Assembly Number = '73-3438-05'
  Manufacturing Assembly Revision = 'A0'
  Hardware Revision = 3.0
  Current supplied (+) or consumed (-) =  -

7600#show idprom backplane 
IDPROM for backplane #0
  (FRU is 'Cisco 7600 9-slot backplane')
  OEM String = 'Cisco Systems,Inc.'
  Product Number = 'CISCO7609-S'
  Serial Number = 'xxxxxx'
  Manufacturing Assembly Number = '73-10721-01'
  Manufacturing Assembly Revision = 'B0'
  Hardware Revision = 1.0
  Current supplied (+) or consumed (-) =  -

falz fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 15, 2014

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Anyone here take the Nexus exams?

Thinking about just going that path on nexus switching since new jerb is going with 7k's and 5k's. Just don't want to study for an exam that is a sales pitch like the (old)UCS one was...

I've taken several of them. They'll get in the weeds on some things but there weren't any simlets on the ones I took.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

This isn't really Cisco-specific but I'll ask anyway. I have like 5 dumbswitches I wish to consolidate to a single 24-port managed switch. They only have 2-4 ports used on each switch. I basically made a bunch of VLANs, numbered 901, 902, 903..., and assigned them to groups of 4-6 ports, and left port #1 on VLAN 1 so I can have it plugged into my existing network on the .1 subnet, for monitoring and such with the rest of my switches.

So it's basically setup like this:

code:
+----------------+
| 1 3 5 7 9  11  |
| 2 4 6 8 10 12  |
+----------------+
  |   |   |  |
  |   |   |  |
VLAN01|   |  |
   VLAN901|  |
      VLAN902|
         VLAN903
It's an Adtran 1238. I have a similar setup on 2 other switches and it works fine, but I only have one other network on them, not 5.

It seemed to work at first, except one of the VLAN's didn't work at all. Then after a few minutes the VLAN01 port (#1) would quit working, as in I couldn't ping the management interface of the switch. But if I removed it from my LAN and just plugged a laptop into the VLAN01 port, I could access the switch just fine. Doesn't seem to be another device with that IP on the LAN.

The other networks also started acting erratically. One VLAN is for a cable modem, the rest are for other things like T1's etc. Basically trying to combine all the little gray switches in this picture into one switch:

Any suggestions? I assumed as long as I used VLANs that I wasn't using anywhere else it should do what I want.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Issues with vlan1 could vary for many reasons. I'd just not use vlan1 and use a dedicated management vlan for the switch.

How is routing happening for each VLAN? Do you have a router with at trunked interface facing the switch and IPs on vlan subinterfaces? Is the switch itsself layer3?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

falz posted:

Issues with vlan1 could vary for many reasons. I'd just not use vlan1 and use a dedicated management vlan for the switch.

How is routing happening for each VLAN? Do you have a router with at trunked interface facing the switch and IPs on vlan subinterfaces? Is the switch itsself layer3?

The 1234 is a layer 2 device - http://www.adtran.com/web/page/portal/Adtran/product/1700594G1/4

Routing is happening on the two main switches, one of which this switch is connected to

1.2 is the 'router' for vlan1, 2.2 is the router for vlan2, etc

I don't have that setup for vlans 901, 902, 903... because I don't want the traffic leaving the switch, as it doesn't have a need to. I'm just trying to consolidate equipment.

I had a similar problem before but that involved a trunk port that was passing traffic to the rest of the network (and I think my VLAN ID's conflicted as well), but I don't have any trunk ports configured on this switch

I need to reconnect that switch to the network (I put all the connections back on the individual dumbswitches) and see if it drops on it's own, or only when I connect other networks.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 17, 2014

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
any chance you created a layer 2 loop?

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
We have a pair of next gen firewalls (fancy routers) in an Active/Passive Stateful HA pair.

They have SFP interfaces and and we have been provided SC terminated cables from each of our ISPs.
We have the Cisco GLC-SX-MM SFP 1000Base-SX transceivers but that would only allow us to connect an isp to one device.

How do I configure this for a high availability failover? Is it as simple as getting a pair of these and hooking them up to my firewalls?
http://www.acefiber.com/1x2-st-to-lc-splitter-50125-multimode-850-20mm-p-183315.html

Basically, how do I create the RED lines?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
You can't splice that way. You'd have to terminate one ISP on each frewall and track the interface/routing, when it fails you failover to the standby unit. Also if they terminated SC you'll need to 1) Verify if it's single mode or multi-mode since you have a MM transceiver and 2) Get a SC-LC converter to plug into that LC transceiver

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

If all your gear is in a rack I would say terminate the ISP whips onto a patch panel. Much easier that way to just patch them down into your firewalls. Loop and hangs can be a pain :/

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Anyone familiar with Cisco WLC 5508? We have a 100meg symmetric connection to our provider and everything is gigabit to the APs. If I'm wired directly into the switch, I'll get like 12MB up/down as I expect. However over wireless I'll get like 250kb down and 3meg up.

So wtf? I understand wireless isn't going to be as fast as wired, that's fine but why the huge disparity between down and up on wireless? Honestly if the down/up were both 3meg, there wouldn't be a problem, but 250k down is unacceptably slow.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Are you on 2.4ghz or 5ghz, what's your RSSI, did you run inSSIDer to see what kind of overlap/co-channeling you have, what's your client statistics on the 5508?

Further, what kind of AP? Is it MIMO or some piece of poo poo one antenna thing? Your high upload and lower download makes me suspect it's just a crowded channel.. You can download cisco spectrum expert and plug in your AP's Network Spectrum Interface Key and check the amount of congestion on the channels

Sepist fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 20, 2014

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Powercrazy posted:

Anyone familiar with Cisco WLC 5508? We have a 100meg symmetric connection to our provider and everything is gigabit to the APs. If I'm wired directly into the switch, I'll get like 12MB up/down as I expect. However over wireless I'll get like 250kb down and 3meg up.

So wtf? I understand wireless isn't going to be as fast as wired, that's fine but why the huge disparity between down and up on wireless? Honestly if the down/up were both 3meg, there wouldn't be a problem, but 250k down is unacceptably slow.

How many ports do you have connected between the switch and the WLC, and how are they configured? How many wireless clients do you have? What kind and how many APs?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
This is a test network in a relatively clean air back office with a single 3602 AP, I've also tested on a LAP1131AG and gotten the same results. Within the "production" environment which is a wild-west as far as competing Mifi's many more users, etc, the results are similar.

The WLC is connected to a 2960S with a 2gig port-channel and it's absolutely not saturated or anything like that.

The only "odd" thing is that the APs are on a management network that is completely independent from the external network.
i.e. the AP sits on network 10.1.10.0/24 but all wireless clients are on 10.1.16.0/22 and so the WLC is doing the switching from the management network to the external network.

10.1.16.0/22 then gets NATTED by an ASA 5520 to our public segment 190.x.x.4

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3384084275

This is from my laptop, but alas iphone/ipads are 5Mb/s slower on download and 3Mb/s slower on upload.

Hmm. Maybe I'm getting closer:
This is from the "production" network.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3384096277

And this is through the same network, but on a stand alone linksys, thus bypassing the WLC.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3384107624

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 20, 2014

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost
This has been driving me crazy all day and I feel like I'm missing something super obvious.

I just installed a new Catalyst 4510 (Switch 1) that is connecting back to another 4510 (Switch 2)in our data center over a layer 2 port channel. I am able to ping between the two switches on their management VLAN addresses, and from the new switch to any other switch in the /24 management VLAN. However, any traffic to or from the new switch to an outside network never makes it past the gateway. None of the other switches in this /24 VLAN have any issues at all reaching outside networks.

There are no access rules on Switch 2 that would block traffic to Switch 1's IP address, and no firewall in the way either. Switch 2 can reach every other device on the management VLAN with no issues. The port-channel and trunk link configs are extremely basic:

Port-channel
interface Port-channel 9
switchport
switchport trunk native vlan 10
switchport mode trunk
switchport nonegotiate

Physical Ports
interface range TenGigabitEthernet1/1 , 1/5 , 2/1 , 2/5
switchport mode trunk
switchport nonegotiate
channel-group 10 mode on

I've even tried cutting everything down to a single trunk link and eliminating the port-channel altogether, but had the same results.

We have two 4506 switches hanging off of Switch 2 in the data center as well, configured identically to this 4510 and they have no problem sending and receiving traffic across the management VLAN's gateway. I'm kind of at a loss as to what may be causing this.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

G.I. Jaw posted:

Port-channel
interface Port-channel 9
switchport
switchport mode trunk
switchport nonegotiate

Physical Ports
interface range TenGigabitEthernet1/1 , 1/5 , 2/1 , 2/5
switchport mode trunk
switchport nonegotiate
channel-group 10 mode on

Typo?

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
Looking for a solid answer to this. Opened a ticket with Cisco to RMA the fan try in my ONS 15454, and at first he told me they're not hot-swappable, then he told me they were. I've been trolling the internet and I can't find anything that says specifically whether they are or not hot swap, and I don't want schedule a maintenance without knowing whether I need to deal with downtime. I can't imagine it's NOT hot swap, but there's nothing anywhere that I can find that says it is.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
They are hot swap. IIRC you have somewhere from 30s-2min to get the new one in.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

FatCow posted:

Confirm, I've swapped one before.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

FatCow posted:

Excellent. What happens if you wait too long? Just overheat issues? We need to use the datacenter remote hands, so I'm not sure how quick they'll be. This one's not decked out, just XC, TCC, and a couple OCx cards, so I imagine it shouldn't be generating too much heat.

Thanks guys.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Panthrax posted:

Excellent. What happens if you wait too long? Just overheat issues? We need to use the datacenter remote hands, so I'm not sure how quick they'll be. This one's not decked out, just XC, TCC, and a couple OCx cards, so I imagine it shouldn't be generating too much heat.

Thanks guys.

If it hits critical temp it shuts down I believe.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost

Yeah that was a typo, the channel-group was set correctly - I was just really tired when typing this out. I actually managed to figure it out and it was extremely stupid.

no ip routing :doh:

The image these switches came with had routing enabled by default, but we're only using them as layer 2 switches. Since the routing was enabled, the switches were ignoring the default gateway for the management VLAN. It just never struck me because ip routing doesn't show up in the running config and this is the first set of L3 switches we've ever ordered that had an image where the routing was enabled by default!

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Pretty much it just hits overtemp and shuts down. I would still do it in a window since poo poo happens. You just grab the latches on either side and pop it out. Push the new one in and wait for the front display to boot.

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
Can you use telnet/ssh to access a remote router or switch, and then use Cisco Discovery Protocol on the router/switch you're logged into to discover their neighbors?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

ZergFluid posted:

Can you use telnet/ssh to access a remote router or switch, and then use Cisco Discovery Protocol on the router/switch you're logged into to discover their neighbors?

Assuming the neighbor devices speak CDP and have it enabled on the interface(s) connected to the device you're ssh'd into.

sh cdp neigh

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
Huh.

CCNA practice question:

quote:

How could you obtain CDP information about a remote device that is not directly connected? (Source: Discovering Neighbors on the Network)
A. Use the command show cdp neighbors’ address.
B. Use the command show cdp neighbors’ hostname.
C. Use SSH or Telnet to access a Cisco device connected to the target device.
D. It is not possible to obtain CDP information about a remote device.

Correct Answer:
D. CDP only works between directly attached devices.

Incorrect Answer:
A. The “show cdp” command with a neighbor’s address is not a valid IOS command.
B. The “show cdp” command with a neighbor’s hostname is not a valid IOS command.
C. CDP works at layer 2 of the OSI model and has nothing to do with Telnet or SSH to the target device.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The reason they give for "C" being incorrect makes no sense; C wasn't implying that telnet/ssh take any part in the CDP process, all it suggested was that you ssh to something directly connected to your target device and run CDP there which is a perfectly acceptable answer.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
All I can suggest is to take each question on the test at face value. Do not try to read into it. There is no nuance. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to figure out what they're trying to get at with their questions. I started wondering if the questions were worded by a non-native English speaker.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Martytoof posted:

The reason they give for "C" being incorrect makes no sense; C wasn't implying that telnet/ssh take any part in the CDP process, all it suggested was that you ssh to something directly connected to your target device and run CDP there which is a perfectly acceptable answer.

There's the answer, and then there's the Cisco Answer

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I forgot about that part of the equation :pwn:

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
For what it is worth the question is from certificationkits.com which sells lab gear and books.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Well if we want to get really technical, you could get CDP information from the remote device provided that the inbetween devices forward or tunnel rather than just process frames that has the Cisco CDP multicast destination MAC address.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

Hopefully there are some F5 gurus in here that can help me out with this one, i'm a bit stumped. I'm trying to get a partition with its own strict route-domain setup on a Viprion chassis running 11.4.0.

Thus far I have created a partition that contains:
  • a SNAT and VIP vlan,
  • A route domain with id 2
    • both vlans are members
    • the route domain is set to partition default)
    • strict isolation
  • a default route in the route domain (0.0.0.0%2/0 > 10.112.9.1%2),
  • self/floating IPs with the RD ID appended.
The vlans have been created on the root box and added to the right interfaces also.

I created a simple http application to test the setup but cannot get any traffic in and out of the route domain:

code:
chris@(test-v1)(cfg-sync In Sync)(/S1-green-P:Standby)(/LC_ESP_MH_Prod)(tmos)# ping 10.112.9.1%2
PING 10.112.9.1 (10.112.9.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 10.112.9.16 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
From 10.112.9.16 icmp_seq=4 Destination Host Unreachable
From 10.112.9.16 icmp_seq=5 Destination Host Unreachable
^C
--- 10.112.9.1 ping statistics ---
6 packets transmitted, 0 received, +3 errors, 100% packet loss, time 5000ms
, pipe 2
chris@(test-v1)(cfg-sync Changes Pending)(/S1-green-P:Standby)(/LC_ESP_MH_Prod)(tmos)#
monitors do not work either. Any ideas on what I might have missed?

Edit: figured it out, I am dumb. I forgot to assign the vlans to the vcmp guest on the vcmp host.

ruro fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 24, 2014

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Cross-posting from the general IT thread since I just remembered this one exists.

My company is hiring if anyone wants a network engineer job in Denver. PM me or reply here with an email address if you want details. Guess I should do a formal post in the job fair thread at some point. Looking for roughly CCNP level experience though the actual cert isn't a hard requirement since we don't in fact run much Cisco gear. Juniper, Force 10, F5. Linux expertise a huge plus. You would be the primary network engineer for a mid-size web property. I hesitate to call it a "startup" since they've been around for going on 10 years but it still has that kind of cultural workplace feel, for better or worse.

Full-time remote is not an option but frequent work-from-home may be as long as you're in the general area.

I am not the hiring manager, just a sysadmin you'd be working with, but I can pass resumes along and put in a goond word.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

I guess this is a good place for this:

What/who are good Load Balancers? Looking for a VM (vSphere) and/or Hardware (HA needed), L4-L7 tinkering, SSL Offloading, Netflow(?) and all that good stuff. Would all be Websites with a 50/50 that it would need to do Exchange CAS in 6-12 months.

As for price not to sure at the moment; trying to find what is good so nothing is too expensive at the moment ;)

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

nzspambot posted:

I guess this is a good place for this:

What/who are good Load Balancers? Looking for a VM (vSphere) and/or Hardware (HA needed), L4-L7 tinkering, SSL Offloading, Netflow(?) and all that good stuff. Would all be Websites with a 50/50 that it would need to do Exchange CAS in 6-12 months.

As for price not to sure at the moment; trying to find what is good so nothing is too expensive at the moment ;)
F5 are excellent. See if you can get a trial virtual license and give it a whirl.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah our F5s are great, would definitely recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

less than three posted:

Yeah our F5s are great, would definitely recommend.

Thirding dis